CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 23, 2010

Wrapping Up The Telethon

Posted: 03:58 PM ET

In case you missed the telethon, or want to check out he highlights again, we offer these videos, including a behind the scenes look.

Filed under: Gulf Oil Spill • How You Can Help • Larry King Live

JIM CARROLL   June 23rd, 2010 4:27 pm ET

General McChrystal: what will President Obama do with 'the runaway general'? With over 40 generals and 20 colonels in the Army, it should be easy to find a replacement. Thank you, Mr. President! You did it right.
internetfreepress.com

Joe G. (Illinois)   June 23rd, 2010 4:37 pm ET

Maybe some people will come to the realization of what they have been doing… Fishing and eating “Unclean Fish.”

gerald Jolly   June 23rd, 2010 4:37 pm ET

AWWWWEEEEEEEE! C'mon.

Big success??

My eye,

A complete bust, sounds more like it.

$1.8 million dollars from a population of more than 300 million persons not including surrounding contries is hardly a BIG SUCCESS.

PLEASSSSSSE stop the insanity.

Cajazz76:24:8   June 23rd, 2010 6:13 pm ET

LKL

I want to thank the LKL staff, CNN, and, of course, Larry King for the wonderful telethon that allowed us the opportunity and an avenue to contribute to the Gulf Coast residents and for the care of the wildlife being devastated by the oil spill.

A special thanks to Aaron Neville and a request that he write a song similar to "Louisiana 1927" that detailed the effects and difficulties they endure from natures wrath. This sadly is, and will be for a long time passing, their most difficult times surpassing all disasters they have had to overcome. The waters of the gulf still run through my blood and the people who live there are some of the best that inhabit this nation. When the good times will again return is uncertain, but you can be assured they will.

Cajazz76:24:8   June 23rd, 2010 6:26 pm ET

@gerald Jolly

I agree with you that is was a rather low amount of donations collected to help sustain those who have all too often been beat down. I guess the extent of the devastation just isn't registering yet. Nothing, by comparison, has hit this country so hard and when the tally of losses are more apparent, maybe more will realize we, as a country, have been deeply distressed. It is difficult to look down range and realize how much damage has been done. Take care gerald, Semper Fi...

MIKE IN missouri   June 23rd, 2010 6:49 pm ET

It is a shame what the Pres has done the general has more knowledge than any one and now you have taken that away what does that say about the US government/

Smith in Oregon   June 23rd, 2010 6:52 pm ET

It's kind of sad that the people that bought onto the triade and PR spin that Pensacola, Florida was their ideal vacation location this summer with its oil free pristine beaches. Only to find out it was simply a sham to lure tourists to the hard hit tourist State of Florida only to be hard hit by the Oil pouring onto it's beaches, the toxic fumes in the air, in their hotel rooms and all the dead sea-life floating in the Ocean and washing up on the shorelines.

gerald Jolly   June 23rd, 2010 10:36 pm ET

@ Cajazz,

Glad your back, I hope everything went well.

You had a couple of people worried buddy.

Take care

Semper Fi

Cheryl   June 24th, 2010 12:13 am ET

I donated to all three charities but the money was never taken out of my account and i never got the email either what is going on here !!

Cajazz76:24:8   June 24th, 2010 1:18 am ET

@gerald Jolly

I'm a work in progress gerald and after 42 years of it I am getting the picture that new and improved still means used. Next round is coming up soon and they just get more difficult, but if I am to keep this girlish figure I have to continue to hoot with the owls until I can fly with the eagles. Dodie thinks I am on a suicide mission of sorts and I am just trying to keep my head and ass wired together. Take care and keep me up to speed on the date of your upcoming release. I mean your book, gerald. Semper Fi and keep the sunshine on your head.

gerald Jolly   June 24th, 2010 9:13 am ET

@ Cajazz.

Good morning to you.

Thanks for bringing me up to date

About the sunshine on my head, I've lost all my feathers so I burn quickly.

The book is at the publishers and is currently in editing, and should be released in about 6 to 8 weeks from now.

Dodie has not given me an address where I can send you a copy, but I'm sure she will.

Please take care of yourself, there's not many of us left.

Semper Fi keep strong.

Cajazz76:24:8   June 24th, 2010 12:42 pm ET

@gerald Jolly

Top of the morning to you gerald, ah hell, take the whole damn day, you certainly earned it. Hey, that is great news regarding your recent literary work. I am certainly looking forward to reading it.

I don't know how many of us are left, but with impudence directed at McChrystal's recently disclosed insubordination, I am appalled that he would subject his command to, not only abashment, but exposes them to heightened insurgent activity.

His disdain for his superior's was quite evident last fall when he put in an order for more bodies on the battlefield. Perhaps he doesn't fully realize that 'old soldier's never die', young ones do.

We should never have gone into Afghanistan the way we did, en-mass. If bin Laden and his immediate subordinates were the targets of opportunity, it could have been accomplished on a much smaller and discreet basis. Who gives a flip if the Taliban were running the country. The population has the overall responsibility to accept them or make a change that will suit their clothes, rags as they are.

I know from experience that military intervention isn't going to change their ideologies or suppress their religious fervor. That is the core
em-battlement our troops are really in opposition to, and there is no winners in that game.

Well, now that my verbal flatulence has released, I bid you good day and keep a lid on that head. Fried egg can hurt and that's no yolk. Stay cool and take care gerald. Semper Fi

gerald Jolly   June 24th, 2010 4:41 pm ET

@ Cajazz.

I completely agree with your take on McChrystal and why our involvement in Afghanistan was flawed from the get-go.
When you get my book you will see what my thoughts are on Osama Bin Laden and terrorism.

There is a number of reasons why I do not think we should sacrifice the life of even one more young American.

As they say, my mother did not raise a fool, I will never believe the reasons given for why we are in Afghanistan, I thinks it's pure B.S. that we want to bring democracy to that country.

The "BALL" is Bin Laden, and everyday we are taking our eye off the "BALL"

I will give you just one scenario.

8 BILLION dollars a month for Afghanistan

In your heart of hearts, do you think that if we spent 8 billion dollars on surveillance equipment and drones to blow the S.O.B. to hell that we would need to do it for more than one month.

The bonus is that with my scenario, we would'nt have to waste one young American and allies life.

I think that math makes more sense to me.

SEMPER FI.

Cajazz76:24:8   June 25th, 2010 12:11 pm ET

@gerald Jolly

Good morning gerald. Your book, no doubt, will be chocked full of sentiments regarding what I have reviled for many, many years, war. I will stop there because I would have to commit the rest of the year to my 'personal' opinions of it.

Eight billion dollars spent to dispatch bin Laden would be granting him an elaborate and ceremoniously send off, which should have been accomplished at the cost of a single round of ball ammo and a few MRE pouches. Granted we have spent over 100 times that and delivered nothing in return, except body bags onto the tarmac at Dover AFB and thousands of physically and mentally broken young men and women.

I think the U.S. still has a 25 million dollar reward on bin Laden's beard, but do not expect any delivery from anyone in the Moslem world to cash him out. The right temporal lobe of their brains are bin Laden's salvation and security fence to keep that from becoming a reality.

Let's face it, both Bush and Clinton had him as a 'target of opportunity' and failed to give the green light in time. We have allowed 'rules of engagement' and a 'proper' adjudication process to circumvent common sense. It shouldn't never have taken a war to eliminate those responsible for 9/11, nor should it take over half a century and numerous wars, without compromise, to resolve the Israeli/Palestinian issue. That is the root cause that has been feeding Islamic Extremism from 1947 to present day. That is another thesis that would better serve a college senior than myself because I have, quite frankly, ended that chapter and conclusion decades ago.

There will never be an acceptable compromise that will end that bleeding debacle. It goes back to the right temporal lobe of the brain that has been mankind's appeasement of his core fear, his eventual demise and purported afterlife that he thinks he thwarts with his religions.

Your correlation and deduction of the numbers cannot be argued, but the sentiments attached to the equation of a final solution prevents any calculation from final computation. Silly human race.

Take care gerald and enjoy your day. Semper Fi. caj...

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter