Filed under: Gulf Oil Spill Kevin Costner Larry King Live
Well, let's just hope he can, because at the moment there seems to be little hope. At least he is attempting to. Wishing all the best.
i just wanted to take a minute and say thank you so much for what you all are doing and have done,Louisiana is my home state, i now live in Texas but have many family members still in Louisiana , so once again THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU... Meredith Sutton
Kevin Costner is one of the BEST actors of all time!
Mr. Costner has a great theory of cleaning up oil spells!
How utterly crass and callous of Big Oil's T. Boone Pickens remarks comparing a jetliner crash to the economic disaster sweeping across several Gulf States at the same time!
I disagree on many fundamental points:
Republican lawmakers gutted the safety and regulations of Deep Sea Oil well drilling in several critical areas which MUST be addressed before proceeding.
1) No federal environmental impact study was performed on the blown deep sea Oil well. Those absolutely needed regulations had been previously gutted by the Bush-Cheney administration!
2) No federal emergency contingency plan was submitted. There was NO federal plan filed, no fleet of Oil skimmers waiting for such a eventual occurrence.
3) No national country's besides the USA allows the toxic dispersant Corexit to be used in its territorial waters to diffuse a Oil spill.
4) No existing technology can adequately deal with extremely high methane gas pressures sometimes found by deep sea Oil well drilling resulting in a blown-well.
5) ALL national country's EXCEPT the USA requires one or more relief wells to be dug at the same time as the exploratory well in deep waters in their territorial waters.
It is beyond foolish to simply continue to drill deep Ocean oil wells without fully addressing and correcting these problems. As noted in (4), extremely high pressure gas pockets will blow-out future exploratory wells. The only question is WHEN, not if.
1) Ban Corexit
2) Require two relief wells dug at the same time a exploratory Oil well is first drilled.
3) Require a complete Federal Environmental Impact Study which is submitted and accepted by Federal oversight management.
4) Require a complete Federal Emergency Contingency Plan for that specific Ocean well, not some generic rubber stamped plan.
5) Require ALL American based Big Oil business's to have a shared fleet of large Oil skimming vessels ready to go in a mouth balled harbor ready to go on a moments notice WHEN the next Oil gusher occurs anywhere on America's territorial waters.
Robert Downey Jr is an actor, Robert De Niro is an actor, Joaquin Phoenix is an actor. But Kevin Costner..?
Oil slick or not, is he that someone we should get a grip on?
Just raising an honest question.
Like Burak Obama.. He’s good for speeches..
I believe the oil rig that blew up was supposed to be the best of it's kind, well I think this is what I heard from a survivor that gave his story. What went wrong. This is unprecedented also as I believe they have never drilled to these depths before. Will we ever get to the truth about what happened I wonder.
@Smith in Oregon June 23rd, 2010 3:24 pm ET
watched the interview with kevin costner, good on him for helping to clean up the iol spill, there should br more people like him
Stopping the leak:
Remove the top portion of the flange. Replace with another flange top half that has a valve of the same size attached. Bolt the two halves together. Close valve. Problem solved. The big question is can the subs do this work?
this machine was mentioned and demonstrated at the begining it is about time they decided to try it. Bless Kevin and his brother who have done this. anything to help
So, one would wonder, how technological advanced are we. How is it that we can put a man on the moon and no one seems to be able to plug a hole.
Follow him on Twitter
Become a fan on Facebook
LARRY KING LIVE'S Emmy-winning Senior Executive Producer Wendy Walker knows what it takes to make a great story.
With anecdotes, provocative emails, scandals, show transcripts and insights into Walker's long working relationship with Larry King, her new book PRODUCER issues readers an invitation to listen in on the most intriguing conversations on the planet.
Barnes & Noble
Saving a heart a day is the goal! Learn more about the Foundation and it's efforts to help the uninsured
Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.