CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 21, 2010

LKL Exclusive – Taylor Hicks: The Tip of the Oil Iceberg

Posted: 11:33 AM ET

Imagine an oil iceberg the size of the state of Kansas. Imagine only being able to see the tip of that oil iceberg. This is what we are dealing with in the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf region has been my home all my life. We as Americans have an obligation to see this catastrophic disaster through from beginning to the end. Whether it be aid for the environment, or aid for the businessmen.

It is my sincere hope that we can find a resolution to this horrible disaster. First and foremost, we must find a way to stop the oil at the source before we can even begin to assess the environmental and financial ramifications.  I implore the media, the Government and the companies involved now more than ever to see this process through for the many Americans that have been severely affected by this epic event.

I think it is in everyone’s best interest to make sure that every I is dotted and T is crossed. I believe that there was a good relationship between the oil executives and the people of the gulf coast region because the oil companies do create jobs and revenue for the people of the gulf region.  However, the responsibility of safety and restoration falls on these executives. The people of the Gulf Coast expect the oil companies to protect their beautiful waters. I do believe that with determination, resilience and total cooperation, we, as people who rely and enjoy the waters of the Gulf Coast will be able to get back to the beaches that we all love.

Taylor Hicks

Filed under: Celebrities Telethon • Gulf Oil Spill • LKL Web Exclusive

thetruth   June 21st, 2010 12:18 pm ET

You tell 'em Taylor! I really admire your steadfastness in seeing this disaster relief through to the finish! Good work dude! You make many of us really proud!

Laurie   June 21st, 2010 12:25 pm ET

Nothing to add, Taylor. You said it all.

Michelle K.   June 21st, 2010 12:27 pm ET

AMEN Taylor!

I've never visited the beautiful beaches of the Gulf,so it's hard for me to picture the suffering residents are going thru, but the fact remains that people who live there will be suffering a long time until this gets cleaned up. BP needs to not only clean up their mess, but their act as well. They need to stop shooting themselves in the foot by allowing the CEO to carelessly ramble on about how he wants his life back to normal and FIX THIS NOW!
I'm sure the BP Executives are not vicious people, but have created a PR nightmare for themselves for their lack of sincerety in this tragedy. They need to band together along with the American government to put an end to the spill and focus on cleaning up the mess it's left.

We, as Amercians need to band together like we've done before and see this thru!

medolark   June 21st, 2010 12:43 pm ET

I agree and our government should lift the moratorium and allow everyone with a method for removal to share in a coordinated effort to remove the oil. Bureaucracy is hampering a speedy end to this tragic situation. Ü

Anonymus   June 21st, 2010 12:46 pm ET

Well written, well said. Good job Taylor.

scrabblequeenbe   June 21st, 2010 12:59 pm ET

I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida. I agree with everything Taylor Hicks has said.
Will he be on your 2 hour special? I hope so.

Tish   June 21st, 2010 1:17 pm ET

I agree 100%, the media, oil companies and government need to work doggedly to stay on top of the crisis in the Gulf of Mexico. Taylor's thoughts are very well expressed and sincere.

Kathy   June 21st, 2010 1:30 pm ET

So sad. I can hardly stand to look at the wild life pictures anymore.
This is going to hurt alot of people. It's a disaster that keeps getting more and more far reaching.

NolaMar   June 21st, 2010 1:49 pm ET

I agree with Mr. Hicks completely. The impact of what BP Oil has allowed to happen is unfathomable, both environmentally and economically. FIX it first! Focus on that – not politics, not blame, get it stopped! Then figure out why it happened and figure out ways to prevent something so catastrophic from ever happening again. EVER.

I will add one more thought to something mentioned in the editorial. These oil jobs are VITAL to the gulf region, just as much as the tourism. They have all worked together well in the past. The oil itself is vital to the country. While ultimately it is the Oil Companies responsibility to protect our region, it is now proven they can't be trusted to do it. Whoever should have been overseeing the safety of this well totally dropped the ball. That must never happen again. New, rigorous safety measure must be implemented, but they can and MUST happen sooner than the 6 months that the President has deemed for the drilling moratorium. It should be shortened so as not to cause even exponentially MORE harm to the people of the region.

Jason from Hollywood   June 21st, 2010 2:27 pm ET

We heard from Kevin Costner, we heard from James Cameron – and now we're hearing from the American Idol singer who couldn't get a hit....Oh boy

Someone   June 21st, 2010 3:34 pm ET

You're hearing from someone who's called the gulf his home for his entire life. Who better than actuall residence? Why do we need celebrity endorsements on everything?

At least he's ACTUALLY trying to help. Unlike most "celebrity endorsements"

Lubiana   June 21st, 2010 2:33 pm ET

Great, heartfelt article. Thank you

Mike Labo   June 21st, 2010 2:57 pm ET

Who is this guy? he is kind of hot and sexy in an odd way!

sweetsmoke1   June 21st, 2010 3:00 pm ET

So proud of Taylor for standing up for the Gulf coast and letting his celebrity status be a voice for the people who rely on the area for their livihood. I know he has many friends and family affected by this disaster. He walks the walk – not just talks the talk. He was just on MSNBC on Friday talking and pleading for continued aid to the area as well.

Mike S., New Orleans   June 21st, 2010 3:21 pm ET

Uh, Okay Taylor.

Kathy   June 21st, 2010 3:29 pm ET

I agree with you Taylor. People need to stay strong and work together to make this right. The people who live in the Gulf region and those who vacation there deserve a satisfactory resolution to this problem. And in fact, every American needs to pay close attention to this problem and do whatever they can to help. There are long term ramifications to this spill and everyone needs to remember that. I hope the media does not assume we are bored with this story and move on. That would be a disservice to all who want to preserve this planet.

Phyllis   June 21st, 2010 3:45 pm ET

Jason from Hollywood ...where have you been living?...under a rock.
Taylor's first CD went platinum and I loved his 2nd Cd.......sorry guess you don't get out much.

Tiylor Hacks   June 21st, 2010 3:51 pm ET

The real question is, do I creep you out?

samantha   June 21st, 2010 3:55 pm ET

jason from hollywood, funny thing is we would rather hear from taylor than your dribble.

Judy   June 21st, 2010 3:58 pm ET

Thank you Taylor for your well written article. Because you are from Alabama, you know first hand what the area is like and how it has been affected. Good job.

Very Concerned   June 21st, 2010 4:03 pm ET

I find it very interesting and alarming that the only thing done so far in relation to relief is tonight hour telethon on Larry King live. When the Haiti disaster happened, it was all you saw and heard about... giving money to ANOTHER country... this disaster is taking place on AMERICAN soil and we are all AMERICANS and it seems like people are more concerned about other countries and couldn't give a damn about what is going on in this country. Just a thought...

cheryl   June 21st, 2010 4:10 pm ET

Taylor is from the gulf coast and seen up close just how bad this is and he is so right everybody the goverment oil company and the news people need to stay on top of this the most important thing is to stop the leak and fast! Taylor is a very good spokesman for this enviromental disaster!

Angry   June 21st, 2010 4:11 pm ET

I feel Americans are sick of bailing out every loser that screws up. All those banks screwed up the economy, but no one was punished. Every other day is a telethon for other countries, when our contry is hurting on a regular basis. I think we as Americans are just tired of all the requests to help out. When I see countries that we have helped in crisis come to our aid and I see BP and other oil companies showing some actually caring, then I'll pick up a shovel and help out too. I didn't create this mess and I do not feel any obligation to fix the mess until I see at least those who caused the mess to show some accountability and remorse. Once Americans start becoming more "united", then I feel we will become a great country again.

Jill   June 21st, 2010 4:17 pm ET

I've been a fan of Taylor Hicks from the beginning and have happily followed his career since AI. I thought his comments were articulate, heartfelt and right on the money, as it truly does affect him and his family. Since he lives there, he truly deserves to be heard. I have been following this disaster on "day one". I have heard many talk show pundits and the various media heads talking. I think it was way too early and frankly ridiculous to have the Congressional Hearings with the CEO of BP. Taylor hit it right on the head when he said to stop the oil leak FIRST. Let's deal with the aftermath, once it truly is an actual "aftermath". Keep it up Taylor!

Stevie J   June 21st, 2010 4:25 pm ET

Wow, you win American Idol, your career is totally stagnant, so what do you do? Make a comment on the Gulf Oil spill and get it published. Sheeeeeesh, please CNN stop putting this type of thing on the web site. This is not news, if anyone wants to know what Taylor Hicks, or any other celebrity for that matters thinks about anything, then let people go to THEIR website & read it.

Giovanna   June 21st, 2010 4:27 pm ET

Taylor, I can feel your passion for this issue. I can't imagine the distress being felt by those whose livelihoods are affected. My hope is they do get their lives back one day soon.

Carlton   June 21st, 2010 4:28 pm ET

I think the emphasis should be on perserving the environment, not capturing as much oil as possible. People have to realize that BP has no ties to America and could literally sell all their gas stations and go back to Europe. All this ridicule and talk of lawsuits will only push BP towards filing backruptcy. And all the execs will still end up with their fancy yachts, 12,000 square foot homes and private jets.

gatorgal   June 21st, 2010 4:35 pm ET

Thanks Taylor! Well said. All of us that love the Gulf of Mexico and have grown up there running the beaches and back roads feel the same way you do.
Jason....just stay in Hollywood and shut up. At least Taylor WON and has been on Broadway...how 'bout you?

Marlene   June 21st, 2010 4:39 pm ET

Bravo Taylor Hicks! Finally a heartfelt plea! Thank u for taking a stand and speaking up for something that matters.

Love your music! Check out @TaylorRHicks on twitter and taylorhicks.com!

JIM CARROLL   June 21st, 2010 4:40 pm ET

AN IDEA FOR BP: WHY NOT USE A DEVICE DESIGNED LIKE A TOGGLE BOLT OR AN UMBRELLA THAT CAN BE PUSHED DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE HOLE AND THEN UNFOLD SO THE OIL PRESSURE WILL CLOSE OFF THE HOLE?
INTERNETFREEPRESS.COM

Wendy Sue   June 21st, 2010 4:40 pm ET

Sounds like he's running for office.

Mac   June 21st, 2010 4:42 pm ET

Stevie J , this is a blog, and this was a commentary, it is not being published as news.

As others have said, Taylor is from Alabama. He has been outraged about this disaster since it happened. He is currently assisting the Alabama Department of Tourism in their ad campaign to keep tourists coming to Alabama. The state depends on the tourism dollars from the Gulf Coast and he wants to help keep those tourist dollars coming in. He appeared on MSNBC the other day to talk about the subject as well. He's trying to help his state and I commend him for that.

Ringmaster   June 21st, 2010 4:44 pm ET

The point here isn't TAYLOR's career but his heartfelt passion for this cause-I am proud of him for staying true to hmself, his home and his roots and speaking out for this tragedy-

I also call the Gulf state of Alabama my home and I am royally ticked at BP for "dragging their butt" on this-they have other ways that they clean up oil spills "over there" that are MUCH more effective-Washington needs to put the pressure on these guys and make them OWN UP to their own mistakes and quit lollygagging around on yachts and golf courses!!!

We as Americans need to boycott all BP oil and hit 'em where it hurts-in the pocketbook-and our government needs to lift all bans and moratoriums and let the people clean it up on the beaches-we Americans are a pretty hardy bunch-

So please, all you Taylor critics-lets leave the Taylor bashing for your social websites and realize that the issue here is a celebrity desperately speaking out and trying to protect his home against this disaster-at least he's doing something and letting his voice be heard-just like he told the judges during his audition on Idol: "I want my voice heard"-and he is doing just that!

Kudos to you Taylor-and from one Alabamian to another-you DO make me proud!! Keep on fighting-and may I join you???

rj   June 21st, 2010 4:54 pm ET

Stivie J. must have got up on wrong side of bed! The man lived practically his whole live near the beach. He was a regular performer at Florbama on the Al and FL line. It's his life. Why don't you go whine over somebody or something else today!

Mike   June 21st, 2010 4:55 pm ET

Mike   June 21st, 2010 4:59 pm ET

Funny thing is Taylor Hicks is so irrelevant and B-list when I clicked on the article I was thinking Taylor Swift. Figured I was going to get a laugh out of hearing her opinion on the oil spill. Then I got this guy's 2 cents.

RS   June 21st, 2010 5:08 pm ET

Well said Taylor ! You definitely make me proud ! Hopefully all those involved hear your powerful message, and get things right.

V   June 21st, 2010 5:20 pm ET

Taylor if you really want to help them out. maybe you can donate some of that money you won on American idol. Oh yea you haven't sold any records so you don't have the money. Oh well. get out and start raking the beaches...

J   June 21st, 2010 5:27 pm ET

Well now that Taylor Hicks has spoken up about it things are gonna get done! All we needed was an Amercan Idol Savior...Let us all give thanks that we have Taylor Hicks in our lives : )

Prancer   June 21st, 2010 5:33 pm ET

these are comments that are voiced every day by every [intelligent] person. i really appreciate that taylor is taking the time to join the masses,

but, i hate to say, we need some more influential celebrities to step up. clooney put together the haiti relief event. there really isn't a need for donations, since (supposedly) bp is putting aside millions to care care of those gulf residents affected by the spill, but celebrities should get together to film a quick "here's what's happening to our marine life, coasts and gulf coast citizens/fishers...and here's who needs to pay/fix it and why it needs to be done now."

again, it's annoying that there are still folks in the country that don't realize the impact of this embarassing spill, so someone should organize an educational event and make people aware.

and we should still plug the leak with sarah palin. put her to some use.

Philip   June 21st, 2010 5:42 pm ET

I absolutely agree with Mr. Hicks – the gov't needs to see this thing thru to the end nd I applaud his willingness to lend his voice to the cause. So few are willing use their celebrity status where it counts.

Hopefully some money will be raised to help out the business owners and people who need the Gulf to live on.

n8r   June 21st, 2010 5:43 pm ET

Thank you Captain Obvious. I am sure BP will now fix everything, thanks to you.

n8r   June 21st, 2010 5:45 pm ET

@ Mike who wrote "Exploiting the oil spill to stay in the media spotlight. I'll applaud when he starts cleaning up beach without a camera around..."

You got it! Nail on the head. Same with Kevin Costner.

Sasha K.   June 21st, 2010 5:45 pm ET

I wish other celebrities would help get the word out about this horrible crisis as well!

Thanks Taylor for walkin' the walk, dude!

Jason Barber   June 21st, 2010 5:52 pm ET

Good for Taylor for having good intentions and making an effort to help.🙂

Giovanna   June 21st, 2010 6:35 pm ET

J, I DO give thanks that I have Taylor Hicks in my life. You should be so fortunate.

Smith in Oregon   June 21st, 2010 6:45 pm ET

Early on BP decided to spray immense amounts (well over 1 Million Gallons) of toxic Oil dispersants into the gushing Oil spill occurring some 5,000 feet below the surface of the once pristine Gulf of Mexico Ocean seafloor.

As a direct result it became very difficult to gauge, see and track the flow of the released crude Oil. Which is precisely 'WHY' BP did that, entirely to reduce their liability costs. And while the Oil Gusher was really flowing over 2.5 Million gallons per day, they sold Admiral Thad Allen on the 'illusion and notion' that only 50,000 gallons was flowing into the Gulf of Mexico, based on the relatively small amount of Oil on the surface. The toxic dispersant's were causing the Oil to not surface, hence a probable attempt to hide and lie to federal safety inspectors, EPA and the Coast Guard from day one.

Diffusing Hundreds of Millions of Gallons of toxic, poisonous and carcinogenic crude Oil across the entire Gulf of Mexico is without a doubt the plan by BP from day one. However, it could very well be more dangerous to the environment, and more toxic to aquatic life and longer lasting than if they had simply allowed ALL the crude Oil to surface and deal with it on the much smaller surface area as was done with the Ixtoc Oil well previously in the Gulf of Mexico.

Just the immense Methane Gas released from this single Oil gushing blown-well, has created a huge Dead Zone in the Region of the Gulf of Mexico lowering available Oxygen in the Ocean's water below those able to support aquatic life! Sea life that is able to flee to survive undoubtedly have, those that don't or can't are Dead.

Ethanol doesn't kill sea life, doesn't contaminate the beaches and doesn't poison the water table, no wonder Republican lawmakers are lock step against Ethanol based alternative fuel for America!

gg   June 21st, 2010 6:45 pm ET

Too bad all of the energy created by the hostility in some of these messate couldn't have been used in helping clean up the beaches, oyster beds, sickened wildlife and fish. PLUS saving jobs and livelyhoods for people in the Gulf. It is so, so, so, sad.

I agree that this Country is always ready to help others far away. BUT I think most Americans were hoping BP would stand up, as they should, and pay the piper for what they have created through their reckless neglect due to their greed. Come on people, we have got to stand together or we could fall apart.

Jennifer   June 21st, 2010 6:48 pm ET

Taylor Hicks was speaking up about the lack of news coverage on the gulf oil spill way back in May. He is deeply rooted in the area, being a native Alabaman, and spending much time around the Alabama Beach areas playing music & paying his dues there long before he won American Idol. He has family and friends that live there. He freely volunteered his time to be a spokesman for Alabama tourism. Continued success to him and his cause.

The Ghost of Elvis   June 21st, 2010 6:58 pm ET

Talent and accomplishment weigh a lot more than snide comments. Thumbs up for Taylor!

cliff   June 21st, 2010 6:59 pm ET

1. Who is Taylor Swift?

2. Who cares what Taylor Swift has to say...about anything?

Anthony Smith   June 21st, 2010 7:25 pm ET

I think that the Gulf Coast region are being punished by God for all the racist things that happened there in the past.

It's very telling that people from the North and West coast are silent about the spill in the Gulf Coast. One get the feeling that they do not care about the deep South.

Tom   June 21st, 2010 7:26 pm ET

Taylor who??

Nick V Russo   June 21st, 2010 7:27 pm ET

Taylor has indeed been outraged ever since early May about this spill, he isn't just hopping on the celebrity bandwagon for media attention. He has not recieved nearly enough recognition since Idol and has made 3 million over the last 18 months touring with Grease. While I understand his statement won't suddenly fix anything, I applaud him for writing a well thought out and heartfelt editorial.

d   June 21st, 2010 8:03 pm ET

And BP need to file for bankruptcy,,,, this is really sad,, I really think that they are not controlling the oil spill on purpose!....I dont buy gas from am/pm because they are a part of BP! and will not buy gas from any gas station that is a part of BP! This is so sad!

Amanda   June 21st, 2010 8:11 pm ET

He's cute🙂

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 8:17 pm ET

Where can I find the ONLINE link for this? Katrhy Griffin.... R U on the phones tonight?

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 8:18 pm ET

BAND WAGON? could they use an Alto Clarinet?

Dee   June 21st, 2010 8:19 pm ET

The impact of this disaster on the environment and the people is heartbreaking. I continue to watch with horror. However, I also have to say I am sick and tired of the term "oil companies" in this disaster. This is BP's disaster, a product of their poor safety and operational standards...everyone in this industry knew that BP's lack of adherence to standards was time bomb waiting to go off. It is sad that the animals and people of the Gulf must now pay this price. My request is to stop blaming "oil companies" this is BP! As an employee for an oil company I am AS MAD, AS FRUSTRATED at BP as everyone else. However, other oil companies are no more to blame than any other corporation in the US.

Typical   June 21st, 2010 8:29 pm ET

Thank you Taylor for standing up and caring about a disaster that's happening right here at home. For some reason a lot of celebrities only care about disasters that happen overseas.

What's with the bashing? The man is from Alabama and is outraged, and why shouldn't he be? Think twice before focusing your energy on bashing somebody you don't even know.

Allison   June 21st, 2010 8:39 pm ET

I admire Taylor for standing up for his home state.More people should get involved.Even with the oil spill looming,I'm still taking my family on vacation at the gulf beaches.

Stacy   June 21st, 2010 8:39 pm ET

Please help convince them to dredge and seal the Destin Pass to save 129 square miles of Choctawhatchee Bay plus the Bayous and Intracoastal Waterway.

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 8:48 pm ET

@Allison Come on down we have beautiful Beaches, Attractions and People like you!! Treasure Island WELCOMES YOU!!

uncaslarry   June 21st, 2010 8:54 pm ET

How dowe know that the families who really need the money and help are getting help. I'd like to see a local organization step in and I think this is great what CNN is doing but I'm afraid it won't go to where it is really needed

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 9:05 pm ET

@uncaslarry this is CNN not Fox. and if U dig deep enough and your drive is eager. you will have no problem asking whom ever you need!!! Think like them and RESERCH!!! Googling helps too. LOL

Svelte   June 21st, 2010 9:09 pm ET

Thanks for sharing your input, Taylor! It's nice to see a great singer with a great brain too! I've lived down in the Gulf area for two years, and it disgusts me to think of what it might be like now. We absolutely have to get this thing cleaned up 100%. Maybe you could write a ballad about it and contribute some of the profits to the people in the Gulf who have been hurt by this disaster....you know–sort of a "North to Alaska"-type song. Every American should be contributing to this effort, but ultimately it is BP's responsibility. By the way, you are still my all-time favorite Idol!

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 9:12 pm ET

Must I forget... Have U seen the MSNBC and Fox version of the HERO of the YEAR? me either. CNN the only TRUE network to call in OUT!!!

Patricia Brown-Coleman   June 21st, 2010 9:19 pm ET

God made this earth for us and the animals to share and we are destroying it. This oil spills are others hurts us today and into the future to come. We should have stopped off shore drilling a long time ago. It must stop as of now. We must find another away of energy! We have no choice, unless we want to end like we are again. I gave and continue to give to help the people affected by this disaster. STOP THIS MADNESS (OFF SHORE DRILLING!

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 9:20 pm ET

Taylor Hicks.... A guy; Native to the Gulf Coast, just like me... Out of the Lime-Light and not worring about his hair color ... I wonder if he enjoys a simple life with simple needs. I've heard simple people are or just might be happy until a "GULF SPILL" gets them from thier rocking chair!!! It happened to me!!!! So until you enjoyed a simple life in a rocking chair. Please try to be nice.

Mike McReynolds   June 21st, 2010 9:23 pm ET

Can anyone of influence contact BP to make a contribution to cut through their own red tape? Their donation could go immediately to people who need it and would definitely make them seem a little more sincere in their efforts and promises...Or would that seem too "political"? just a thought..
thanks Larry and CNN for orchestrating this effort

Lynda Donahue   June 21st, 2010 9:28 pm ET

I have never written to a celebrity in my life but after watching your show tonight I neet to state my opinion. I know your intentions are honorable but BP is responsible for this mess in the gulf. There are so many people who need the money you are raising tonight who will never be noticed such as Applacia and other local needy communities. To ask Americans to donate to this BP crisis is to ask them to subsidize what BP is not doing. You need to use your power to force BP to step up and make the celebrities who are on your side and show to scream on your behalf.
This will probably go nowhere but all I can do is try.
Regards,
Lynda

Kevin   June 21st, 2010 9:28 pm ET

The donations of money are helpful, amazing, but how about donating some expertise? Any engineers willing to donate their experience and knowledge to stop this catastrophe? How about halting oil exploration and having all hands on deck to cap this. Come on Oil Engineers and Drillers. BP doesn't own the Ocean or Gulf, its our problem to fix not theirs.

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 9:46 pm ET

@Kevin How are engineers gonna solve this if they are being denied the details to the spill and the mechanics of devices ontop or below said spill... Is there a pipe within a pipe? If not, does the pipe have a broken drill bit inside? how far down is the drill bit? Is it far enough below the surface to keep from blowing the prevention valve off? I believe the report stated that there were "PRESSURE ISSUES" before Horizon explosion; not to be a prude but. I don't think one relief well will NOT work. that's why PB is drilling two!! THIS IS A POWERFUL WELL!!! that's why there were problems!!! BP bit off more that they can chew with this well!! and she is STRONG!!!

Marie Kincaid   June 21st, 2010 9:59 pm ET

Gee, what happened in the Gulf is awful... but what about the unemployment problem across America? I don't see that cause anywhere here. I'd gladly go help clean up. I'm willing to do anything in order to feed my child and keep a roof over her head and it's just not happening for me.

Please can't you help us to? Who will tell my child we can't keep our home because mommy can't find a job?

Kevin   June 21st, 2010 10:01 pm ET

Agreed Carol, however, this is a global emergency, beyond the expertise of BP perhaps. How about stopping all oil exploration in the US and calling all the engineers and other experts to work on this-together-its going to take a drastic crisis management approach to stop the oil. Time to bring all oil exploration experts together. All hands on deck, the oil must be stopped. Bring all the experts together from anywhere in the world. This goes beyond government and politics, this is morals.

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 10:05 pm ET

I sent my Fix with what details BP has provided. I recieved this E-mail in response!!

Dear Carl Harris,

Thank you for your submission to the Alternative Response Technology (ART) process for the Deepwater Horizon MC252 incident. Your submission has been reviewed for its technical merits.

It has been determined that your idea falls into one of the following ART categories: Already Considered/Planned, Not Feasible, or Not Possible, and therefore will not be advanced for further evaluation. To date, we have received over 80,000 submissions with each submission receiving individual consideration and priority based on merit and need.

BP and Horizon Deepwater Unified Command appreciate your contribution and interest in responding to this incident.

Horizon Response Team

Rocky   June 21st, 2010 10:05 pm ET

It's great that as a nation we are all pulling together, chipping in to save the wildlife. But in the end it is BP that should shoulder the cost. Why don't we start by knocking on BP's door for 10 million dollars for each organization and work our way up from there. Having a telethon to raise money to save BP's butt is appalling, when so many people have so little these days. If you are going to have a telethon, have it for a disaster not caused by BP's greed.

james m villalobos   June 21st, 2010 10:08 pm ET

dear larry,
where is t boone?
he would be congratulating your effort on behalf
of the private sector as opposed to the
Obama Shakedown of BP. previously, you
gave him free reign to spill his beliefs and
opinons and pollute your audiences intelligence.oops..
Sorry for the oxy moron.

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 10:11 pm ET

@Marie Kincaid you gotta go where your needed!! maybe something is telling you to come to Florida!!! And Find yourself and get paid too!! I'll keep you in my heart and prayers!!

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 10:14 pm ET

@Marie Kincaid STUPID ME!!! your child too!!!

Kevin   June 21st, 2010 10:20 pm ET

Good point Marie, however, the Gulf is an eco-system that enables an economic system, it can't be fished or used for tourism for a long time. The economic losses will be felt for generations. How do you put a value on clean water, and wildlife? The Gulf's ecosystem-which includes humans-can't be retrained for a new job, or hired-rehired, or retired with a pension. The environment is not quantifiable, you can't put an absolute value on it.

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 10:24 pm ET

@james m villalobos LOFL!!!! he should help answering the PHONES!!! Oh Well!! so much for caring!! I liked the sentence stucture. As well as the way you included the word "SPILL"!! BRILLIANT!!!

Kevin   June 21st, 2010 10:33 pm ET

Dear Carol,
Send your idea again and see what happens-I think you have an interesting idea. Maybe others can look at it, and eventually BP will be pushed aside and other experts will be allowed to have full disclosure of the data amassed thus far-including the actual pressure. The depth of the well combined with the water pressure above it are beyond anything dealt with in conventional capping methods. Guess what the Russians have done with these-a nuclear powered implosion. I'm not suggesting this but maybe an underwater earthquake is natures way. Wait till hurricane season hits and all the capping efforts are halted, then what? During the moratorium on drilling get the oil engineers from all companies together, they are on hold anyways.

Ginny   June 21st, 2010 10:50 pm ET

Bravo Taylor !!

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 10:56 pm ET

@Kevin It's Carl O. Harris. and a nuke just might set off an oil sunami? and a huricane will give a surge of water too!! so WE should hope and pray for niether! But, I'm glad u got your thinking cap on too!!! 'cause the cap on the spill sure the Funk ain't doin' the trick!! the design is all wrong!! the cap should be designed to separate the Gas "methane" from the liquid "oil" and suction both out at the required rate. the syphon tube for oil in any containment dome should be much lower than the syphon tube for the gas "methane" this would prevent oil and gas from entering the gulf!! BUT, NO!!!! Brits wanna be HARD!!! Yea!! Yanks are "STUPID"

Kath   June 21st, 2010 11:02 pm ET

Taylor Hicks is awesome. Like most American Idol winners and runners-up, he is very active in charity work.

Hicks grew up on the Gulf Coast. He has every right to express his opinion.

Taylor Hicks is the most under-rated American Idol winner. He is awesome in concert, is the best harmonica player I've ever seen (and now spokesman for Hohner Harmonicas), and writes his own music. He has been successful on Broadway and off-Broadway. There is more to success than a top 10 song.

So stop hating on the guy.

shawn morrison   June 21st, 2010 11:02 pm ET

i believe the wild life,,,should in fact,,be preserved...however,,the main focus should be human life,,and not wild life....yes,,,save the birds,,as many as possible.....but,,,this telethon,,,and any other means of support that we,,as a country can do 2 help this once again hard hit gulf area,,,should be 4 the people,,,and the people only....let's help someone,,with there mortgage,,or gas,,and electric bill b4 we sponge bath another bird....yes we need someone 2 speak in behalf of the wildlife,,,but the people in the gulf have spoken,,,and they are saying help us!!!!..either that or the next conversation will be about grilled pidgeon 2 go!!!!!!

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 11:17 pm ET

The Great House Restaurant and Hotel have a great dish of Grilled Pidgeon!! Is a simple dish of the bird to us YANKS!!!

Kevin   June 21st, 2010 11:22 pm ET

Carol, we need many more like yourself-a passion for this problem. The Russian method scares the bleep out of me. The implosion method has been used though. BP might rather use a relief well instead of sealing this hole. The company could capture the oil and get a return on their investment. My point is-push BP aside, they are responsible, negligent, why should they be left to fix it? Don't let the lunatics run the asylum! Get another team to tackle it. The MMA can pay for experts to fix it-they approved the BP methods. The Hurricanes will hit before the relief well is done, it may rain oil too!

My impression is that the pressure more like 150,000 barrels per day,and the methane is pushing the oil upwards. If this was above water on land that thing would look like an oil volcano. My worries are extreme weather stopping the relief well drilling, surface burning, and funneling. This one could drag on for a year or more if BP is in charge.

Kevin   June 21st, 2010 11:32 pm ET

I'm sorry I called the MMS the MMA. OOps. They will be looking at the engineering of deep-water drilling a little more thoroughly from this point forward-I hope. Someone approved BP's plans.

Carl O. Harris   June 21st, 2010 11:56 pm ET

MMA is what nailtechs use illegally!! LOL. but BP is not going to listen so I make it a point to let my words and ideas be known! HERE it is published!! People can't say you didn't attempt to contribute your two cents worth!!! people should yell, YES!!! but in a manor to where skiddish people will listen! and people who Play golf and sail around in OIL free waters might think your a civil enough person to listen too. BLOWING up isn't gonna solve the problem! cuz no-one will listen!!

Carl O. Harris   June 22nd, 2010 12:01 am ET

ALSO!! MMS gets a new name: Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement!!! Just to confuse you'all? could I please get a response from this issue?

Carl O. Harris   June 22nd, 2010 12:18 am ET

@ JIM CARROLL I don't think it will work. I may be ill informed as to all of us. but I think there are two pipes one inside the other. the gas and oil mixture seem to be keeping the same rythem on it's exit. plus as I mentioned BP is drilling TWO relief wells to compensate the pressure the ONE could'nt handle. again another truth BP is holding from us STUPID YANKS!!!

Jimmy   June 22nd, 2010 12:37 am ET

Very nice speech, Taylor, but Katharine still should have won.

Gr8fulheart   June 22nd, 2010 1:46 am ET

I have not had the pleasure to visit the Gulf Coast; but from all I've heard from those who have, it is a magnificent area. I am saddened; as this oil spill issue is such a heart-breaking experience for so many who call it their home.
Taylor did an outstanding job in expressing the need, & his desire to step forward to see a complete clean-up & restoration of this area. His efforts are honorable, & I applaud him for taking the time from his busy schedule to once again, help those in need.
Thank you Taylor. You are a winner in many ways.♥

Karen B   June 22nd, 2010 7:14 am ET

Much of what Taylor says reflects all our thoughts on this terrible event. We need everyone to speak up to let our government know we are sick of what is going on. Everyone one expects celebrities to speak out and when they do we criticize them. Maybe if every day American citizens spoke out, protested or whatever… our government and politicians would stop messing around with our money and our lives. Thank you Taylor for being an active citizen and making that statement.

kaitlin45   June 22nd, 2010 8:11 am ET

Thank you, Taylor, for telling it like it is and for supporting a worthy cause, yet again. I have family in your beautiful home State, have visited there twice, and plan to go back just as soon as I can. It is indeed beautiful and all who journey there will see that firsthand.

7thof10   June 22nd, 2010 8:15 am ET

Well done, Taylor. I agree with you 100% !
Still on board the Soul Patrol !!

BTW   June 22nd, 2010 8:59 am ET

Why doesn't he spend his millions and help. Oh I forgot he is a nobody who thinks they are smarter than the rest of us. Worst AI winner yet. Looks about 55 years old on a good day. Who's next, Bruce Springsteen the political wonder boy...

Andacar   June 22nd, 2010 9:34 am ET

I'm astonished that people here are saying to "to focus on blame." Why on Earth not? This didn't just "happen." This was the results of mismanagement, haste and shortcuts in the name of increased profits, deregulation, and a way too cozy relationship with the government. That's a pretty good reason to assign lots of blame, as well as criminal charges if needed.

John Kaufman, Oceanside, CA   June 22nd, 2010 10:00 am ET

Taylor, although I agree with you about this mess in the Gulf, you don't understand what is really going on behind the scenes in Washington. First, this administration has no intention of cleaning up this mess anytime soon. Why, the Obama administration has an agenda of controling all of the offshore oil platforms, they also want their energy program passed as well as the cap and trade bill passed. By not cleaning up this mess they believe that the American people will get behind them in gettting what they want first.

ian   June 22nd, 2010 10:42 am ET

Speaking metaphorically, I think God just pulled the plug on the oil age.

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   June 23rd, 2010 11:50 pm ET

Has the 20 billion that BP has been held accountable to immediately, is it now being used for the people who are being most affected. Are they now seeing some of that money I wonder.

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   June 24th, 2010 12:09 am ET

By the sounds of it, I don't think anyone-else is allowed to touch that oil well, unless BP agrees to it. It is in BP's court. Surely, if they wanted the help, couldn't they have asked for it. Probably more to it than meets the eye.

Thank you to Taylor Hicks for his comments and concerns. We all have our different opinions on this and need to hear one another out and be respectful of one's view.

N. Blume   June 25th, 2010 2:18 am ET

Thank You Taylor for bringing more attention to this sad situation. You are such an awesome person. Love you and all your music. You are the BEST idol winner EVER!!! Please use your fame to try to help this situation. This is such a disaster. Our country should be doing all we can to make this right. Taylor thank you for caring. When are you coming to L.A. for a concert? Please come soon. Love ALL your music! Keep being yourself. SOUL PATROL!!!!

RL   June 25th, 2010 3:45 pm ET

HAVE YOU READ ABOUT THE METHANE GAS THREAT TO THE GULF REGION? article by Terrence Aym How the ultimate BP Gulf disaster could kill millions

vikki, Van ,Can.   July 21st, 2010 1:45 am ET

Good on you Taylor ! Well said !

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter