CNN TV
SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 18, 2010

Monday's Telethon: A Two-Screen Experience

Posted: 05:27 PM ET

By Eric Kuhn
CNN Audience Interaction Producer
(yes, this is a real title)

Tune in and log on this Monday, June 21, for a special LARRY KING LIVE telethon focusing on what you can do to help the Gulf Coast. "Disaster in the Gulf: How You Can Help," which airs on CNN between 8 – 10 PM ET, is going to be a great two-screen experience, so pull out your laptop!

During the telethon, Larry will check in with Ryan Seacrest, who will be hosting a special “Social Suite” with celebrities such as Alyssa Milano, Pete Wentz, Deepak Chopra, Chelsea Handler, Jenny McCarthy, Tyson Ritter and Edward James Olmos.

Before and during the broadcast, we are encouraging people to participate on their favorite social media platform to help spread the word, have conversations and share ideas about how you can help.

Here is how you can participate:

Facebook: We are asking that you change your Facebook profile photo in support of the Gulf. Please save the photo in this blog post and use it as your new profile photo on Facebook. Also, update your status message about how you are helping with the environmental disaster.

The Disaster Relief on Facebook Page, which was launched hours after January's devastating earthquake in Haiti, serves as a collaborative resource for individuals, non-profits, governments and industry to raise awareness for those in need around the globe. Celebrities, such as Ivanka Trump, will be posting questions on that page throughout the telecast and are excited to hear your thoughts. Some of the comments left on that page will be read on air.

Also check for updates about the show on Larry’s Facebook Page and CNN Impact Your World.

Twitter: During the broadcast, we are encouraging people to tweet to the celebrities by using the hashtag #CNNHelpGulf (Hashtags, in the twitter universe, provide an easy way to keep track of conversations by searching specific phrases or keywords). Share your feelings and thoughts about the disaster in the Gulf.

Gowalla: Now through Monday go out with Gowalla, the location-based mobile and web service, and check-in at any Spot in the "Parks and Nature" category and receive an official "Larry King Live: How You Can Help" pin for your Gowalla Passport, as well as information on how to help.

By staying connected, we can all make a difference. We hope, with your help, and by spreading the word, we'll build support for how you can help in the Gulf.

Thank you.

Filed under: Gulf Oil Spill • How You Can Help • Impact Your World • Larry King Live

Barry Wolpa   June 18th, 2010 7:11 pm ET

Why should the already financially stressed American people be asked to contribute to the "recovery effort" when BP bears total responsibility for paying for all the damage and making whole everyone who has been adversely affected by the spill? The financially stressed American people have been amazingly generous in their responses to all the "natural" disasters. This was a BP made disaster and BP not only bears full responsibility for any and all damage and the recovery efforts, they also have gazillions of dollars available to pay for the damage they caused. It is totally WRONG to ask the American people to contribute money towards this one!

Emily   June 18th, 2010 7:35 pm ET

I have to say I was truely dissgusted with Joe Bartons appology to BPs Tony Hayward. Just as with Tony Hayward not being able to take back his words, the same applies with BPS new poster child. Joe Barton is a disgrace to all Americans and further shows just how knee deep we are in Governmental representives being with their heads elsewhere, certainly not representing the People. What should happen is that the People demand his resignation, Congress suggested this to Tony Hayward they should be demandind it from Joe Barton. Anything less is unexceptable, time to stand accountable, sorry with the OOPS is no longer going to cut it. So everyone should be sending out this very clear message, to say well he.s probably going to be gone at the end of the year is not good enough. I suugest he be cut loose so he can go live in whatever other Country he was referring to. Sounds like a win win for the People, a useless Peoples representative gone. Good outcome is there,s a job oppurtunety gor someone with the Peoples interest at heart. Get gone Joe Barton and take Michelle Buchanan with you. When will this BS stop, all politicans members of Congress and all the way down the line ship up or ship the HELL OUT. Totally useless people in positions that hinder Americans vesus helping them, seems like they have their own personal agenda, as does Judge Hughes. Having him preside over all cases involved in leagal suits against BP is the fox caring for the hen house. This is just more BS, clearly he is not the one to judge this case. He should be removed from any cases involving oil companies. This is the Peoples wake up call, shows us all how truely screwed up our whole system is. Tony Hayward has treid to apologize to everyone for his comment, so lets hold everyone else who spews crap to face the same decision i.e Congress suggsting Tony Hayward resgin, so do the same within. Take these clowns out , perhaps then we can see true change and not just false hope and empty promises. Truely disgusted with the stupid games that are being played out while Americans suffer.

janice   June 18th, 2010 9:52 pm ET

we need to do a telethon that will be on several tv stations.....please remember many people do not have cable....need this to be on ABC, NBC AND CBS....PLEASE AND THANK YOU FOR HELPING~JANICE

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   June 18th, 2010 10:55 pm ET

@Barry Wolpa June 18th, 2010 7:11 pm ET
@Emily June 18th, 2010 7:35 pm ET

Well said.

Corruption in high places it seems.

Lisa Rahon   June 19th, 2010 1:06 pm ET

Want to help? Here's the answer.

Visit Louisiana! Make New Orleans your vacation destination!

New Orleans is 100 miles from the coast.

If these celebrities on this telethon don't rally people to travel here, this show will be an entire waist.

Please, please Mr. King, Ms. Diaz, Mr's Redford compel people to visit here. This way their money goes directly into helping our state, directly into the hands of our struggling business owners.

michael howard   June 19th, 2010 4:31 pm ET

Lary i am glad to see progres in the gulf,also buy looking back in history i have learnd that our congress had the forsiegt to realise we would be in this unfortinate posision,so on oct 17,1986 they passed what is known as (SARA) SUPERFUND AMENDMENTS AND REATHORIZATION ACT it insures local goverments have the right to respond and protect them selves,they established a fund with 8.5 bilion dollars, big money in 1986 but I have not heard any news of SARA by the local GOV in Miss,La,Al has any body reserched acts of congress this far back as I have and is it possible that this act was over turnd if I were a fishermen or oil worker i'd check this out and I hope Mr Hayward does not see this we will all owe him somesort of an apoligy"

Joe USA   June 19th, 2010 10:32 pm ET

Props to both Barry and Emily. I am not a greedy person by nature, however BP should "handle it". =)

Billy   June 20th, 2010 8:18 am ET

We the american people are saddened by this tragic event, but to ask the working man to pay for the business man's mess up is completely wrong. We have already bailed out the banks and the auto industry, now they want us to bail out the oil industry as well. We are already paying extreme fuel prices as is, now you want us to fork out more money for the oil companies. That isn't my america. Those who do wrong are held accountabale for their actions. BP should fix this, not the working men and women who are already suffering. BP's executives who by the way are millionaires should fork over some of their not so hard earnings and let us the slaves of the oil industry eat a decent meal without fear of not being able to afford to fill our fuel tanks to make it back and forth to work.

Cathy   June 20th, 2010 8:25 am ET

We can't just sit back and wait on BP to clean up the oil spill. As all this has played out BP is not the least bit interested in what happened. Just watch and see if they do not file bankruptcy sometime in the near future. I said it a month ago that they would never pay all this money, they would file bankruptcy court. Now, this morning, on Fox News, what is the topic of discussion, will BP file bankruptcy? We as the people who love the Gulf Coast need to come together and help save it. Wake up, BP is not interested. It's the way the "English" are...if it doesn't concern them, it doesn't concern them.

FLAUSA   June 20th, 2010 8:52 am ET

Everyone was texting $10 to Haiti, but no one wants to help out in our own country? We sent millions to Haiti. We need to help at home. Our precious beautiful beaches and crystal waters and sea life are being suffocated with oil. Please help.

John   June 20th, 2010 10:58 am ET

PLEASE! PLEASE! Give money, We need to help BP executives to get there lives back. Thank a lot for you generosity!!!!

waitasec   June 20th, 2010 11:31 am ET

give...even when it hurts
that is what will define our nation
are we going to roll with the punches
or just sit there and complain while we use up fossil fuels

Dave   June 20th, 2010 12:18 pm ET

To Fla usa: I'm from Canada but I do have to agree with the earlier comments. No one is saying that they don't love their own country. Haiti was a natural disaster that no one could control, The oil rig is BP's responsibility. As most oil companies do, you may have noticed how every long weekend the gas prices go up. Heck the weather gets bad and the prices go up. They rob us every chance they get.
Personally there shouldn't be an unemployed vet student in the country. God only knows how many animals are going to die over this. I hope BP is paying to have thousands more employed just for the oil cleanup itself. From where I live it doesn't appear much is going on! Politicians just keep talking and talking and talking.

bmb54   June 20th, 2010 12:38 pm ET

While Mr. Tony Haywart, the BP chief is vacationing on his yacht the little Joe Smiths of this world are supposed to dig deep in their pockets to clean up the mess.Mr.Haywart looks to me hes never taken any course in public relations or ethics. What hes doing reflects in my view the fact that he,like the big CEO's of this world,could not care less about what happened.It is highly immoral and if society has come up to this point then I think it is really a troubled society.
Mr.Haywart should now really be fearing because his behavior has troubled many people. Justice will be served and firing squad put on hold. And before I dig for a penny in my pocket to save the pelicans I'm much afraid Mr.Tony Haywart will have to be sleeping in his grave

Jac   June 20th, 2010 12:49 pm ET

I agree with FLAUSA.... we (american's) are soooo quick to help other countries in times of need, but we can't help our own... What are we trying to prove to everyone... I just don't get it. Our animals are dying, our beaches are dying and the tourist are leaving.... But hey – if there is a tsunami, earthquake or bomb somewhere else, we send aid, money, and people.
Step up to the plate and stop trying to just get a tax write-off and just do something, anything, money, supplies etc. I've been unemployed for 2 years and still found a wy to collect supplies and send them... Point fingers later people!

Bob Sayers   June 20th, 2010 2:56 pm ET

The dome I designed to cap Ixtoc 1 in the Gulf of Mexico for pemix,

Hello I have sent you some information about my CO, as I have Capped the largest Blowouts in the world

and I some times here BP on your station saying that the dome I designed did not work
and that the have called in all the experts in the world Is there any expert in the world that knows more about copping wells than I do , if so I would like to know

I have dug up some of the news paper clippings that clearly shows it did work
And that I am now the top Oil well Fire Fighter and blowout specialists in the world

yet BP dom't want to even call I know I can cap that well in 10 days

would like to here from you, on some of your opinions, here some of the news clippings
also BBC in London , did a documentry of me capping a well for the Discovery channel

Sincerely Bob Sayers

Please can you kindly let me know if you receive this email

Also I was unable to copy articles but if you want to see them email me and I am only to glad to send them to you

PayUpandPlugUp   June 20th, 2010 3:39 pm ET

I think our government was not strong arming BP enough! BP screwed up royally and has set a measley 20 billion aside for the clean up and for those whose livelihoods have been affected. I think that won't be enough. I say run the company out of business! Set a precedent for the other oil companies that if you don't follow good safety practices you go out of business. It's that simple folks. This is not rocket science. Obama should use all his legal firepower to go after BP.

MMM   June 20th, 2010 3:43 pm ET

Yes, let's make BP pay for their mistake. Thousands of birds are dying, marine animals suffering, and coastal towns being ruined. It would only make sense to let the ever so responsible oil company step up and do what is morally correct, right? I mean BP has always been one to portray the image of an uncorrupted and ecologically concerned company.
Open your eyes. This isn't a matter of asking the "financially stressed Americans" to deal with the problem. We need to step up and take action. Don"t be ignorant and wait for someone else to fix this disaster that many of us can easily help with. I agree with Jac......leave the blame game for later and lets not watch any more suffering.

The Anonymous Bystander   June 20th, 2010 4:21 pm ET

Classic American myopia. This has nothing to do with "helping" BP. I am also not acting as a BP apologist. We can ill afford to be sitting on our hands and watch as more of this highly toxic and highly deadly oil fouls our oceans and coastlines. Americans are suffering, especially the common man that many of you commenters at the hand of corporate greed and error. So should we turn our backs away for the sake of not bailing out corporate America? This is not about snubbing a corporation, this is about showing solidarity for our fellow citizen and for our future.

Can we honestly trust the future of our environment to a company that has had a track record of misrepresentation, including their so called dedication to the environment? I doubt it. By refusing to help the Gulf Coast and pushing other people to do so with this faulty why-should-we-bail-out-BP reasoning is truly throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Let's be the America that doesn't trust anyone but themselves to solve our problems, let's be the Americans that can honestly say that we have a dedication to our environment and our future.

I don't want to be part of the generation that idly sat and watched the rape of our planet. Especially when enough of us are outraged to make a difference.

Don't trust Washington to do this themselves, they should be the instrument of our will. Certainly don't trust BP to offer a solution that will end this tragedy. They will continually offer knee jerk and band aid solutions. All the while our fellow Americans will be forced further and further into the corner.

Please rise up America...this affects us all. As soon as the ultimate common good, a common good whose value to mankind cannot be argued, the ocean became involved, we should have jumped into action.

Apathy is the evil of good people, folks. Donate, volunteer, we'll clear up the bill later.

Josh   June 20th, 2010 6:26 pm ET

Haiti was completely different. It was a natural disaster. It killed people and more were trapped and dying. This is NOT a natural disaster. This is a mess that BP made and it's up to BP to clean it up and pay for all the damages. They can do it. They are filthy rich. There is no reason that the people of the US should pay a penny. And if BP doesn't follow through on their word to pay up and clean up, then their assets should be seized and their executives should go to prison. If a natural disaster hits, I will donate my time and money to help, especially if it helps save lives. But when a corporate disaster happens, I'm gonna sit back and fold my arms because it's up to the corporation to clean it's own mess. They will get no help from me. Nor will this "telethon".

Joe Planet   June 20th, 2010 6:30 pm ET

if we lose one thing in are eco. system everything else pays.Humans too.It will take decades to see all the damage this spill has done.There no amount of money that can put things back to were thy were.we need to get away from fossil fuels..The day we started using them is the day we started hurting are planet,BP's just speeding it up from fast to faster.I like this planet lets save it.

Kathleen   June 20th, 2010 6:33 pm ET

Barry,
I understand your disgust and unwillingness to contribute financially to help repair this BP disaster.. I must say that, although it is their fault, it is also all our faults..for many reasons: oil addiction, apathy, bad government (don't forget we vote these guys in..or not, depending on if it's convenient to get to the polls..or if we're not busy or if we have the time..etc) and general ignorance.
We need to help our fellow man and try to salvage our environment and do whatever it takes to make that happen. If that means financial support, so be it. Yes it's their fault, yes they suck and should be made to pay.. and they probably will (we hope) but, in the meantime, people are screwed, animals are dying and a whole ecosystem has been destroyed.. AND IT'S NOT OVER: THE OIL IS STILL GUSHING
AND IT'S MOVING...MAYBE TOWARDS WHERE YOU LIVE.

Marg in Pensacola   June 20th, 2010 6:45 pm ET

Thank you to The Anonymous Bystander!

Your support is both needed and appreciated by your fellow Americans here on the Gulf Coast! I wish more people had a heart like yours!

Neil   June 20th, 2010 6:47 pm ET

I'm disappointed that this telethon will be airing at the same time that an award-winning documentary about the dangers of natural gas drilling named "Gasland" will be airing on HBO. I have been waiting to watch this movie for a long time. Among people aware of the film and the issues of "fracking", which is the technique used to extract the gas, there has been much anticipation and a big build-up to the airing of the film on Monday night at 9pm. It's unfortunate that the telethon could compete and interfere with "Gasland"s viewership. Please Google "Gasland" to get more information, and get your TIVO ready.

Marg in Pensacola   June 20th, 2010 6:48 pm ET

For those of you stating "we won't bail out BP" ... you're NOT bailing out BP... you are helping your fellow American Gulf Coast residents!! Thanks for your concern, but if that's how you really feel, don't call on me when disaster hits YOUR home town!

Liz C   June 20th, 2010 7:10 pm ET

Please join us this coming Saturday, June 26, 2010.

Ronald Elrod, Gaylesville, AL.   June 20th, 2010 7:26 pm ET

I agree that when there's a disaster in another country, the U.S. is quick to help. But, when we have a disaster here in the U.S., where are all the other countries. Why should we be the only ones to clean up the mess? But most of all, where the f*** is BP?!?!? Why are they not in the Gulf working working on this? Also, why do we have a congressman apologizing to BP? If anything, BP should be apologizing to us!

Artemis   June 20th, 2010 7:37 pm ET

@ Barry Wolpa, why should we donate? Because we use the oil! For every dollar I spend on gas for my car, I am donating a dollar to Audubon, NWF or Coalition to Restore Coastal Louisiana.

Dee August   June 20th, 2010 8:11 pm ET

NOPE. I will not pay what BP/Transocean should be paying. I'm horrified with what's going on in the Gulf, but the American people have been totally screwed by Big Oil. Asking them to fork over more money is ridiculous.

Liz Anderson   June 20th, 2010 8:16 pm ET

I agree that BP should be held completely responsible for the clean up and rehabilitation – for as long as clean up and rehabilitation are needed... decades probably. I'd like to see Larry King's telethon focus on what people can do to cut and reduce their need for oil. Focus also on what alternatives are out there for people to use right now as well as what is being developed that people can INVEST in.

John   June 20th, 2010 8:41 pm ET

Dear Larry King,

I'm glad to hear about your planned coverage. I hope you can use this time to recognize those groups like "Disaster in the gulf: how you can help"/"hands across the sand".

Bob Sayers has entered a very interesting comment here. Can you please look into that. If he is right about his claims, you just might have a huge opportunity to "Rock" the news world.

As the American public try to find any sign of hope, patiently waiting, and growing more weary each day, it would be a good time to illustrate the need to end offshore drilling, NOW! And hopefully get folks to become more aware that we can all make a huge difference by simply being more aware of each and every dollar we spend on petroleum based products.

Why is nobody talking about the final screw up, point of no return? I'm referring to the BP man who was on the rig and gave the order to keep drilling, after they discovered the chunks of rubber seal coming up. Who was this BP man? You don't have to spend time talking about all the other warning signs that were ignored.

People can only take so much, there is a limit to being patient, especially when nothing has worked to effectively deal with this disaster. In fact, it's becoming increasingly difficult to see this as "unintentional". I mean, how many times can one screw up, Over& Over& Over& Over& Over, etc. etc. etc...........

Thanks, and best wishes to your telethon.

tammy   June 20th, 2010 9:13 pm ET

To all the people who don't think that this diaster is not there problem then i invite you to come to St. George Island Fl. and watch as we are next in line to get b.p.s oil on on our beaches and wetlands.We are hard working men and women on the gulf .We don't deserve to suffer while b.p. the goverment and alot of our fellow Americans "does't think they should have to help ".We Americans help all the time and not just in natural disasters either.All other americans who would like to help us I thank you .I get my heart broke just as many others on the gulf ever time we see our beautiful beaches and wetlands,wildlife and our way of life destroyed.

doug denunzio   June 20th, 2010 10:31 pm ET

i see the point of the gulf incident though we might make it better to make sure that it is a good thing.

doug denunzio   June 20th, 2010 10:32 pm ET

if we see the rocky shores inviting then we'll consider how the gulf incident is a rough trail of events for it.

doug denunzio   June 20th, 2010 10:35 pm ET

if we see that something happens like this.

doug denunzio   June 20th, 2010 10:39 pm ET

BP is not at fault though i don't see anything happening.

doug denunzio   June 20th, 2010 10:43 pm ET

a required experiment might be to get the right stuff acknowledged.

doug denunzio   June 20th, 2010 10:49 pm ET

the point of haiti being a national disaster is one of three things:
1.) no ideas
2.) scheduled topics
3.) ideas on track
4.) point of review
5.) staying on topic
haiti's agreement policy was something that happened because of indelible failures off-track related to how greenwich interpreted this scandal that was not something that happened because of not being right but wrong and how that policy inhibited agreement. if haiti was able to figure out a way to move forward and move in the right direction, we got it right....though haiti figured out how to move everyone forward and stay there. we put it in the right direction and figured it out which let us function in the right direction.

Michele   June 20th, 2010 11:56 pm ET

All these people who "refuse" to help make me ill. Help is need is now. An entire ecosystem is dying and boots are needed on the ground NOW. I wouldn't trust BP to clean my cat's litter box at this point -and the help they are supplying is doing more harm than good. You need organizations who know what they are doing and most of those are non-profits who rely on donations. Yes it is BP's mess but its our lives, our way of life, and our planet. Sitting back and letting them fix it is like seeing a welder cause a spark that sets off a fire near a house and not calling 911 of warning the residents because it is welder's company responsibility . Seriously? How small minded and selfish can we be? This is the biggest evironemental disater that has hit this planet and we're fiddling like Nero. Tax BP, freeze their assets, size their oil . . . all fine but we need to mobilize NOW. Other countries have offered to help but those offers were rejected because BP was working on the solution – The governement needs to get out of BPs bed and start working for the American people again.

Sal   June 21st, 2010 1:26 am ET

I agree with what many of the people are saying about HELPING NOW, POINTING FINGERS LATER. If we just blame, blame, blame then all the animal life, habitats, and coastal town lives will be destroyed even further. I for one have made monetary donations and supply donations even though I am currently jobless and soon to be applying to grad school. Some of the money I have saved up went to helping with the spill. I did not wait. To those that are helping, I want to thank you all. You are true heros.

Gulliver   June 21st, 2010 9:32 am ET

WELL SAID – BARRY WOLPA!!!!!!!!!!!

StephanieM   June 21st, 2010 9:34 am ET

Okay I have to chime in for a minute. For all of you people who have been making BP out to be the devil, and saying the "people" shouldn't be asked to help.

BP was not out there drilling oil because it was fun, or interesting. They were out there drilling oil FOR YOU AND ME!!! They have been PROVIDING for us for years. They have provided fuel for our cars, as well as all the other things the oil is used for. They have offered us our own resources instead of having to solely depend on not-so-friendly foreign countries.

Yeah they screwed up, big time. But you people are forgetting why they were out there in the first place. You helped push them to get the oil, we all did. We've all used the oil they were drilling. And as for the CEO... this isn't his fault. Some guy, an engineer most likely, made a bad call. If any of you have ever been successful enough to be a boss, you would know that you never have total control over every move that every employee makes. So if you're going to be so hateful and blame BP for all of this, you need to stop using any and all products made from oil right now. Everything, from fuel to wax to asphalt, EVERYTHING. Won't do that? Then just shut up and help fix it.

GIL NEVEAUX   June 21st, 2010 9:52 am ET

I told BP to hold a fund raiser and match dollar for dollar.It'd sure help their PR program.It's just wrong to make the people pay for this though.It's another kick in my ass to have anyone use my idea and not give me a dime.I live here too and don't see how wildlife can feed my family or pay my bills.I Don't know what CNN is thinking but they are going to lose a lot of viewers on the Gulf coast.Every time their is a fund drive you see the the stars come out and blind the people from understanding the help often never goes where it's really needed.My bet is its going to go into the pockets of the powerful and rich people like Larry KING (Zigler)
Dam them dam them ALL!

Terrel   June 21st, 2010 10:03 am ET

I drive a car. I buy products made from oil and packaged in plastic made from oil. I buy food items that are transported miles from where I live. I travel once or twice a year by plane and or car. Given these and other personal lifestyle choices, I am responsible for our dependency on oil. Yes, I will help clean up the spill. With that said, I wish I could donate the money to help FREE us from oil instead.

Amber   June 21st, 2010 10:11 am ET

BP has no intention of making this right for the people in the Gulf nor does Obama! This is more catastrophic than Bush's f*** up with Katrina and 911! I don't care who's in office our pathetic leaders just screw around time after time while the American people suffer. I didn't hear of golf games during the Haiti crisis. Bush RAN to BO and asked, "What can I do to help?" Where is he now? I haven't seen Michelle on TV either asking for donations have you? Has H. Clinton shown her fat a** on the beaches? No! But she jumped on her broom and flew to Haiti! And where's Billy Boy? MIA of course.

Another issue that infuriates me is the "global" company I work for. Previously the HR dept. held massive fund raisers for the Tsunami; but, not one effort was made to seek donations for Katrina! And nothing is done for this disaster either. Instead employees are taking intiative and donating whatever they can afford to help.

Please do what you can to help these people and wildlife. Americans always help each other in times of crisis and we will prevail as we always have.

ce   June 21st, 2010 11:06 am ET

i have given money to help out with the wildlife cleanup. sure it's BP's fault and responsibility to pay up. however, I remember the Exxon valdez spill. exxon paid a small amount of damages for a cleanup that made lots of mistakes (using steam to clean oil off rocks for example). then fought all the way to the supreme court to not pay the fisherman in alaska that lost their livlihoods. i'd rather not chance it that BP is going to do the right thing so i'm contributing what i can for the fisherman and the wildlife. i have no sympathy for anyone that thinks the oil moretorium needs to be lifted. really? lifted? while millions of gallons of oil is still spilling. i don't believe the oil industry ,especially deep water drilling practices is safe by any stretch of the imagination. Louisiana politicians need to temper their enthusiasm for oil drilling. they should try to lure companies involved in renewable energy to their state to manufacture windmills, solar panels, batteries for hybrids and electric cars and trucks. put those people in oil jobs to work in an industry that doesn't destroy commercial fisheries, wildlife, and marshlands and cities from erosion and storm surge. louisiana and the gulf has been getting slowly destroyed by the oil industry for decades now it's at an accelerated pace.

Becca   June 21st, 2010 11:11 am ET

This is OUR America and we have to give whatever we have and do whatever we have to do to protect OUR America. Our actions define us and we cannot leave the care of our nation to others. It is our country so we need to take responsibility and help no matter whose fault it is. We need to sacrifice and help each other. That is what makes America great...when we come together for the greater good and for those who need us.

Jen Dooley   June 21st, 2010 11:11 am ET

To Barry Wolpa and those that think their is no need to Help.
Man Made. Why does that lessen the need of those hurting? How does that lessen the damage or impact that fellow Country men are enduring or the wildlife. First off You all think BP is doing. they are not! They have hired a PR firm and apparently You all Believe it. They have the money to make you all think it is hunky dory down here. It is so not! People have been out of work for almost 2 m onths. The do not qualify for unemployment because of Bp's claim they are taking care of things. Then along comes this So called 20 Billion Escrow account. That was for the President to Look better. That will not even be up to take Government paper work for 45 days. Then if no snag in the filing takes place it will be another 45 to 60 days before anyone receives funds. Can you go FIve Months with no income??
IT also is not really 20 Billion, Bp is putting in funds over an increment of YEARS. They have yet to put any funds in as of today. BP GETS TO WRITE ALL MONEYS FROM THEIR TAXES...Billions of Dollars out of the Tax Base. Along with the lack of unemployment being removed from that base too. Not One Dime of this fund of Obama's Escrow account is for Clean up, which is not being done in the wetlands at all. They block every effort our citizens and our Governor try to implement. Not one dime for restoring the damage to the Largest Wetlands In The World. Thousands of Birds use these Wetlands in Migration. They will die. Not just us Small people are being effected. Do you have any idea how the insect, reptile and rodent population will take over! ANd that will be at your home too!! Food Banks for Hundred of Thousands of people are empty. Business that are over a hundred years old have closed. They only attempt that BP has made in regards to The wetlands is one day four people with paper towels trying to wipe it off the grass.The day the President came, and then he did not even go to the wetlands. Bp is breaking Our National Laws Daily and nothing is being done about it. They attack Media, they Burn turtles and Sea Mammals. They LIE continually and You believe them..HOW SAD THAT YOU CAN TURN A BLIND EYE TO TRUTH .. Acting like sheep so easily led astray by PR CAMPAIGN AND Postering by The current administration. Well Bp still says they are in charge and paying claims... The President says He is in Charge and paying claims and if so it is one crappy job being done. ANd While people and wildlife suffer, nothing done for the Wetlands,The Two men that claim to be in Charge, one is Golfing and the other is back in England boating.... So I really Hope your Home area never has a man made or natural disater..For what you give you will get in return and from your Mouth to God's ears..

Augsbee   June 21st, 2010 11:37 am ET

Finally a Telethon, thank you, thank you, thank you. Will Anderson Cooper participate???? I hope so, he's been there for the people of Louisiana like no one else has been and we should be very grateful to his devotion, honesty.

I look forward to helping out these people, I know BP must pay for the catastrophe they caused us but these families cannot take that to the bank, they need financial help now and we all know how slow the application process is with our Federal government, so who knows how soon any of these families will see $$$$ money from the $20 billion.

Thank you, thank you, thank you CNN for taking this step.

I only wish more Hollywood stars would participate in this time of need of our country.

Disgusted   June 21st, 2010 12:51 pm ET

I am appalled at these comments saying we should just wait on BP to handle this. Apparently most of you live in the north and this really isn't affecting you. I want MY MONEY to help MY COUNTRY!!! Who cares if it was a natural disaster or not. It happened!! Get over placing all of the blame and get off of your high horses and help the US out!! BP will have their day. Karma does come around!

Frank   June 21st, 2010 4:53 pm ET

I consider my self a charitable person but you're nuts if you think I will give one dime to help clean up the mess of a corporation that has more money than God. That being said I know there will be those who will donate anyway. Be sure to ask if 100% of those donations go to the relief. The last thing any of us would want to see is some other executive lining his posckets with the money of the "little people".

Sangita   June 21st, 2010 5:10 pm ET

Dear Larry:
The biggest lesson from this disaster is weaning off oil addiction. It is a wake up call for the entire world? Do you know that Americans make up only 5% of the global population and consume 30% of the world's fossil fuel energies? USA is a very innovative country – so why is it that Americans resist the notion of Alternative Energy? Why aren't they embracing your president's idea to cap carbon emissions?

Linda   June 21st, 2010 8:20 pm ET

What I want to know is where have all the celebs been for 63 days? Why havent they been screaming about it not being cleaned up faster? Oh yeah, most of them, and the media are too far up Obama's and the eco geco, greenies butts to see that. Where's Brangelina, Leonardo Dicaprio, Oprah and the rest of them? The good people of the Gulf Coast will survive this, but it will be hard. Thanks for finally bringing more attention to it. Now, why don't you place a little blame on your President for not allowing the skimmer ships from other countries to come sooner! Oh yeah, never mind, he's not Bush, so I guess you can't.

Vickie   June 21st, 2010 8:22 pm ET

Hey Larry,
How about giving people a quick lesson on how to text money on their cell phones. I need a lesson too. It would help a lot of people to learn how to do that and help the fund too. Thanks.

Rod Venem   June 21st, 2010 8:30 pm ET

@Barry Wolpa: Because, believe it or not, there actually ARE American people who ARE NOT financially stressed and ARE able to help.......IF they are WILLING.

Susan Levine   June 21st, 2010 8:31 pm ET

All the Facebook Twitter stuff is great, but this middle-aged person can't find out on this website how to donate money via the Internet. S. Levine

David   June 21st, 2010 8:50 pm ET

Its impossible to find cleanup work here. I'm a Mobile Alabama native and have finished my 40 hour Hazwoper course. I have a bp mod-2 card and bp ID card. I am hard working, intelligent, able to work long hours in high heat, and now jobless due to the oil spill. I've spent most of my life on the water as an avid fisherman and know the area very well in addition to having good balance and a strong stomach in rough seas. Despite being well qualified I'm finding it impossible to find any kind of cleanup work and the bills keep stacking up. I've jumped through countless hoops, sent out hundreds of applications and resumes yet can't find anything. There are hundreds of more people like me that can't seem to get our foot in the door and it is beyond frustrating. If anyone can send me a lead that is not a scam I would be so appreciative.

waydownhere   June 21st, 2010 8:57 pm ET

Of course BP is responsible and hopefully they will be held accountable but in the meantime there are good, hard-working Americans who need help from us. These people aren't asking for a handout – caring people have come together to offer one though, if only as short term relief. I will donate then wait on BP to clean it up in the years to come but my working friends need my help now. I believe in these 3 foundations that LKing has chosen to help the gulf coast.

Angela   June 21st, 2010 8:59 pm ET

To ignorant Barry Wolpa and anyone who shares this thought that the affects of the oil spill being BP sole responsibility to fix and clean up. The Wildlife and people who live in the Gulf do not have "gazillions" of dollars to sepnd saving themselves! Stop the ignorance, shut up and help! This is EVERYONES PLANET not just BP's little oppsy oil spill!!!

Steve Allen   June 21st, 2010 9:02 pm ET

Please if you really want to help, then just visit the Gulf Coast!
Take your summer vacation somewhere along the Gulf and see the beaches and all the Gulf Coast has to offer. The Pensacola area has inland water ways, rivers, creeks, and bays that offer canoeing, kayaking, and tubing! Many outdoor act ivies on the coast. So please if you want to
help travel to the Gulf Coast this summer and have the best vacation of your life!!!

Cindy   June 21st, 2010 9:03 pm ET

We know what to do after a hurricane & how to rebuild but now, all that we love is being smothered by oil & we do not know what, if anything including ourselves will be left or able to live in these damaged areas. Many thanks to all who are helping from Myrtle Grove, Plaquemines Parish, Grand Isle, Jefferson Parish, & St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana.

David   June 21st, 2010 9:21 pm ET

I guess its easier for BP to buy politicians than to actually put people to work cleaning up this mess.

K. Bwell   June 21st, 2010 9:26 pm ET

I think that people should stop blaming...no matter the politics or who is at fault...we all know that BP is going to be held accountable. The fact is that we the people of the affected area have to turn somewhere. We are a Nation that comes together. This is why I love Larry for his act of HUMANITY. Let's not waste time pointing and blaming TALK IS CHEAP...this is a GLOBAL ISSUE! Thank you Larry and all who took time out to try and help rebuild the echo system of the GC. The people who live here appreciate the effort. We really do!

divadru   June 21st, 2010 10:26 pm ET

How great for technology to work in our favour to ease the process of making donations through these types of Telethons fund raisers. CNN and all relief organizations are appreciated for having these set up. As always we the people do step up to do the real grunt work. Disasters of these sorts are true tests of our will to survive and to persevere. The western Gulf Coast residents deserve as much help as we can give them, heart to heart, hand to hand, while the bureaucrats work on how they think they should handle this fiasco. . I am proud to see what has been inspired by the real folks being featured through CNN and other news outlets – especially BIlly Nungesser from Plaquemines Parish and all who claim their own local knowledge to BE just as important IF NOT MORE to unique idiosyncrasies of the fragile eco-system all along the gulf. i AM AGAIN PROUD OF CNN AND ALL THE WESTERN GULF RESIDENTS FOR THE BATTLE THEY ARE HANDLING, AND PRAY PERSEVERANCE FOR THE ONGOING PLANS. I am praying for minimal impact or effect of the Deepwater Horizon oil gusher on the SWFL coast where I live. WE are all in emerggency mode, trying to ward it off. Peace, Love & Joy to all, no matter what!

divadru   June 21st, 2010 10:37 pm ET

Ah can agree with what Mr Redford just said. completely. outlining the changes tthat current energy policy needs – NOW> changed revise rewrite WRITE a New one. get the hoarders old fingers and cobwebs out of the policies. so where is bush oil at,, can America use some of it?? More truths coming otu about involvements of Transocean and haliburton... yea their fingers are in this mess. I CRY for the earth, our planet has a huge stake in it-a huge metal knife–cutting out the whole heart– letting out of her blood. how long will she bleed before the heart collapses?? think about it... how long can her chest hold out as the support of the pressure of her blood is quickly drained? SING–EARTH SONG –MIchael Jackson was saying it too. ""what about the earth just look what we've done!! ""

Donna Parker   June 22nd, 2010 5:51 am ET

A TELETHON ???? At least those individuals/businesses still have their IRAs, Pension plans, and savings to live off of while awaiting payment from BP!
Hmmmmmm, wonder if the unemployment claims have increased in the affected areas? If so, wouldnt that create "double dipping"? Get an unemployment check AND reimbursement from BP?? Who, in the unemployment compensation administration, is overseeing this? If ANY unemployment money is paid to individuals, then BP SHOULD have to reimburse them!
I have been unemployed since 11/02/2008. I just called today (actually Monday 6-21-10) and requested a withdrawal/closing of my investment account. There was only $650 left (one earlier withdrawal PLUS economic losses through the stock market). Yes, I get to pay 20 % & then another 10% in taxes and penalties. My pension plan was drained last year.
Why not draw attention to the fact that many thousands of us need an extension on our benefits?? We are the ones facing bankruptcy, foreclosures, mounting debt, zero credit status, starvation, illnesses, homelessness, depression and/or other emotional problems! I'VE NEVER HAD TO LIVE/SURVIVE LIKE I AM NOW. I had been accustomed to working 2 jobs for the past 20 years in healthcare and long term employment with one of those employers for the 20 years before that! 40 years of high paying technical, medical field positions and now I'm all but destitute!!!! I NEED A TELETHON!!!!!!!!
Does anyone at CNN read these posts?

Laurie in MA   June 22nd, 2010 12:41 pm ET

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that a telethon was aired to support the charities that BP should be paying, to help clean up the mess they made in the Gulf. What's more...who is donating to it? It would have been nice to see a minimal turn out. It's odd, but I would rather go down there, and get a job or even volunteer my services to help clean up those poor animals than give cash to any entity that should be receiving funds from BP. If I could be there, I would.

I've given donations to many natural disasters. I gave to help support those poor earthquake victims last year. And I will always be ready to help support any natural disaster situation. This wasn't a natural disaster by any means. This man made disaster due to incompetence proven by this company, is NOT, a natural disaster. They need to pay up. Big time. Not us. They RUINED our fishing industry and our beautiful gulf coast . How mad are we???

hoekom   June 23rd, 2010 10:44 pm ET

Is is possible to suck the oil directly through pipelines leading to the refineries along the gulf coast ?

Also i am curious as to how many americans retirement funds are tied up with BP?

Does anyone know if there will be more explosions as it may have been faulty or risky to begin with ?

How does the jones act apply or have any relation of what is to come?

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter