CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 26, 2010

Broadcasting Legend Art Linkletter dead at 97

Posted: 05:26 PM ET

Art Linkletter passed away today at the age of 97 – over the years, Art was a regular guest on 'Larry King Live' – here's a clip of him on the show a few years ago:

Filed under: Hollywood • Larry King Live

Cathy   May 26th, 2010 5:29 pm ET

I am so sorry to hear this. Thinking of Art takes me back to the days when life was more peaceful and people were kinder, thanks in part to people like him. RIP, Mr. Linkletter. You were one of the greats!

Michael Owens   May 26th, 2010 6:13 pm ET

As Art was before my time, I really only became familar with him after watching Larry King's interview with him back in 2005. I was especially touched by Linkletter's charm and great stories...so the next day I got in touch with his agent and booked him to speak at a national education conference I was running in Palm Springs. He did not dissapoint at all and Art wound up speaking at five additional conferences I produced (the last one being just a year ago...May 31, 2009 in San Diego). He was a true living legend and a real pleasure to work with. Today is a sad day.

I recorded an interview with Art in Palm Springs last April where we focused on the challenges facing our country. He was sharper than ever and reflected on his 97 years. Feel free to download and use the footage for broadcast.

Michael P. Owens

Maria Copelli   May 26th, 2010 7:00 pm ET

Cathy ,you said it all! Art was awonderful man,andn had such a nice way woth children,they seemed so comfortable with him! He knew how to draw them out. I am happy he let us get to know him,it is our privlege .! I wished they would show these reruns on t.v. now ,so we can have some more happy moments ,of happier times1 Love Maria C

Idzan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia   May 27th, 2010 12:43 am ET

May he rest in peace,
An apt name for one who gave great entertainment to the world.
As Anderson Cooper said: "What a life."

jack   May 27th, 2010 1:07 am ET

.What an amazing man to be that energetic and engaged for 97 years. May he rest in peace.

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   May 27th, 2010 7:49 am ET

One of the nicest broadcasters. He was so loveable and a joy to listen to.

What a great age he lived to. End of an era.

RIP Gentleman.

gerald Jolly   May 27th, 2010 9:02 am ET

A wonderful man, and a great humanitarian.

He will be missed.

God bless him.

Sue   May 27th, 2010 10:55 am ET

He was such a delightful person. So glad we had him for all those years.

Dodie   May 27th, 2010 11:03 am ET

He was an interesting man with a wonderfully long life! RIP

Colin Kendall   May 27th, 2010 12:24 pm ET

He will be truly missed. I remember watching him in the 60sm when I was in school. He was always gracious, had a kind word for people, and that smile was infectious. He never attacked his guests, but treated them with dignity and respect. Something that is lacking these days. The best part was when he had the children. He would ask a question and they would come up with all sorts of answers. The look on his face was priceless. Small wonder he wrote Kids Say the Darnedest Things. He was a true gentleman.

Michael L   May 27th, 2010 2:06 pm ET

For those of you that are too young to remember Mr. Art Linkletter, you missed a true gentleman. That do not make variety shows like the one he had for 17yrs. As a kid we made it a point to be in front of the TV whenever his show(s) were on. I for one will miss his spirits and demeanor. There will never be another like him. He lived as long as he did because he was a great person, entertainer, husband (for over 75 yrs) and father. Art Linkletter may God bless your soul and you rest in peace!! So Mote it be...

Sam   May 27th, 2010 2:26 pm ET

Art was a wonderful man. I remember watching his show when I was just a youngster. I heard him speak at a church on the 4th of July weekend one year. I could listen to him all day. He had such a wonderful outlook on life and was knowledable on so many things. We could all learn a lot from him life. I was once told that our life is like an open book. He was one book you wouldn't want to miss reading. Rest in Peace Art you deserve it.

Avery   May 27th, 2010 8:06 pm ET

A great Canadian! Rest in Peace Mr. Linkletter~

Anton   May 27th, 2010 9:53 pm ET

i think president Obama is doing a great job....

Phil O.   June 7th, 2010 4:44 pm ET

..........Doesn't it seem ironic the lifespans of both Art Linkletter and John Wooden stretched for so long. Similar personna's, an easy yet
whole-hearted approach to living a quality life. Maybe society should
seek to want this in life instead of the constant Hollywood lifestyle that
people seem to desire.

Comments have been closed for this article
Previous article:
Next article:

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter