CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 7, 2010

Politics is King: Early Mother's Day Gift to you!

Posted: 12:56 PM ET

The week in politics began in a frenzy, with the focus on Times Square in NYC after an attempted car bombing plot was thwarted and the suspect arrested. Meanwhile, in the Gulf of Mexico, oil continues to spew out with hopes it will be under control early next week.

While you may have been paying close attention to these 2 big political stories, we're here to make sure you don't miss out on these other ones.

Also – heads-up – Mother's Day is this Sunday so don't forget to call Mom!

1. One famous mother had her first tweet this week – and her office says it could possibly be her last.  CHECK OUT WHO IT WAS! (Politico)

2. Another famous mama is heading to DC this Saturday night to attend the annual 'Ball on the Mall.'  Are you more curious about WHO THIS WOMAN is, or what the 'Ball on the Mall' is? (The Hill)

3. Domestic sex trafficking of children was on the mind of THIS HOLLYWOOD MOM when she came to DC this week, meeting with members of congress. (The Hill)

4. If you wanted to meet THIS FORMER FIRST LADY, you had to show your Costco card. (Yeas & Nays)

5. What should President Obama give Mrs. Obama for Mother's Day?  60% of America THINKS THIS, while 9% thinks the best gift he can give her would be to weed the garden. (US News)

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY FROM LKL!

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Demi Moore • Laura Bush • Michelle Obama • Politics is King • President Obama • Whitney Houston

IKHAN   May 7th, 2010 2:30 pm ET

Hi Larry,
A very Happy Mothers Day to all fellow bloggers.
The residents in my are received an Alert from our local fire station that we may lose our fire engine & a few companies could close down as the City manager has declared lack of adequate funds.
This is sadly happening all across our country, School Districts cutting back, teachers, fire fighters, police persons losing jobs, health services, welfare programmes cutting back or closing down.
The nation getting deeper into debt.
What's going on folks? The richest & the most powerful country on earth cutting corners to get by, losing its world influence & prestige.
Where are our tax dollars going?
Trillion of dollars on wars, billions in aid to 'allies' well these are 'pea nuts' where is the rest of the treasure?

Smith in Oregon   May 7th, 2010 9:10 pm ET

I believe Mothers in America and around the world are becoming concerned the money they are receiving and have saved is essentially worthless, highly inflated and thus highly vulnerable to suddenly dropping much of its associated worth nearly overnight.

In a democracy, Money is King and rules the growth and direction of democracy, laws and its lawmakers.

I do agree with a portion of the growing anarchists movement in Greece in their global view of the illusion that is dissolving the democracy in Greece and could very well extend in dissolving the democracy's of many nations around the world like domino's.

When a nations currency is NOT backed by a solid commodity such as Gold, Silver, Land Standards on a 1:1 basis then that currency is entirely artificially inflated and has no inherent worth behind it.

AND as the illusion of a nation's currency value is exposed, the Democracy that Nations currency supports and props up is exposed as artificially propped up as well, ethereal and based on illusion.

Jeffrey B Williams   May 8th, 2010 6:19 pm ET

The solution to america's problems, By Jeff williams. How about a bail out for americans, give us new credit scores we can then refinance our homes and upgrade our cars, this would cause great supply and demand. Now a days you cannot get a job without good credit. I voted for this president, the only benifit i see, is the rest of the world now knows that america is no longer a racist country. He needs to stop trying to fix the old ways of america. How about getting rid of T.R.W or reform their ways of thinking, hey dont take my word for it just take a vote ask the real people that are feeling it, my mortgage company keep asking for check stubs, and bank statements, this been going on for 1 year, i owe 525 thousand, while the house next door same size sold for 120 thousand.

Dodie   May 8th, 2010 9:37 pm ET

@ IKHAN

Thank you for your kindness!
As always, you are right on target! I work in one of the industries you mentioned and we are in a crisis. If we cut any further, the residents of our county will be in peril! It is very serious. Thank you for bring this issue to the attention of others. I agree with Cajazz, you are an icon!

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   May 9th, 2010 5:25 am ET

@IKHAN May 7th, 2010 2:30 pm ET

Well said. I think we could see the domino effect all around as well.

Donald L Allen   May 9th, 2010 11:33 am ET

Donald L Allen you think you no all about were the Oil is going But did you figer the world is Biger then you and did you figer the US can making thing happion that you dont no about if I wood dril a Hole thure the Erth and I mad the Oil go to one Place so I wood Have the uper hand wood I do so I cod rull were the New thing that you wood creat just so I cod control it or Mabe I don,t need the Oil at all and four the Infow I shir with you what wood you Pay four it or than way do you think I oiw you what is the deal with every one tell me I want to no what the deal is I just want to no what kind of full you take me to Be to start with and I no ween you Visit A nutter country you or in danger no anly with your own country it give the country to opt to rip you off ether way there gonig do it But it just the way there gonia do so in a kind way or a bad way how or you and what do you think so on

Donald L Allen   May 9th, 2010 11:43 am ET

Donald L Allen with the US you figer to give it all up to get any help at all and with Google it agree to give it to them or dont ust the program on the conpurter or you no like the window you no what I men so it a fit no mater were you go and so on mabe I creatide most of them so they clam there or doing it so if you blive it you or wrong I,M here to tell you there taking so much they think there doing thing there not so if the trufe is to be none it well be a big fit in cort so mabe that is what ned to hapion so we can get on with or lives you no it a partner ship they have Be twine each other that is way it hard to bet them in cort But I say like all ways it just we or shrchen four no to make sum one fill god you get the Hent see you Larry King Be well hop I spalt it wright see you

Donald L Allen   May 9th, 2010 4:36 pm ET

Donald L Allen yes OBAMA you think it about your coler right well you or the one how is againt my coler if any one is it you I don,t like to Be mulliplated by you or any one and that is what it about you rember me you no what you dun and I,M giving nuttion to you or any one elce that is Mind you get what you or doing so way dont you run your life and I well try to run My life I,M no Black and I,M not geting what you or saying any way and you have no right to jug me I,M not here to make you rich cas you or Black right you here me I oiw you nuttion you get that I hop you do cas I men it I oiw you nuttion see you Be good stop riping me off the end

Smith in Oregon   May 9th, 2010 7:09 pm ET

It is entirely refreshing given the horrific heavy crude Oil spill gushing in the once pristine Gulf of Mexico that Media and Public discussion has turned to the huge ongoing grievous harm that Petrol-Chemicals have done to ALL Americans and ALL humans living and breathing on earth.

For many years I have complained sometimes loudly that 'we' are being bathed in carcinogenic chemicals in the air and in our food as a result of Big Oil, Big Coal and Big on burning fossil fuels.

These carcinogenic chemicals cause a wide range of diseases which impact all humanity on earth and cost Americans an enormous amount on resulting Health Care just dealing with those suffering directly and indirectly from chronic exposure to Petro-Chemicals.

How many millions were chronically exposed and poisoned by LEAD when Big Oil placed Lead in Gasoline for decades? Everyone knew blackberry's and fruit that grew along the roads in America were heavily contaminated with LEAD.

Was Big Oil sued and forced to pay for millions of infants and adults suffering from chronic LEAD poisoning? Of course not, they owned the courts and most of the Republican lawmakers.

How many millions were chronically exposed and poisoned by Wood Alcohol which former President Big Oil Bush sr. ordered to add to Gasoline? Wood Alcohol is a known carcinogen and a strong poison in aquifers and ground water across America became contaminated with Wood Alcohol as a result.

Was Big Oil sued and forced to pay for millions of infants and adults suffering from Wood Alcohol poisoning? Of course not, they owned the courts and most of the Republican lawmakers.

Imagine the same Republican lawmakers entirely outlawing and banning many recreational drugs whose LD50 toxicity is so large it is practically impossible to ingest a life threatening amount, AND yet those same corrupt lawmakers and jurists declair it is fine for their Big Oil and Big Coal primary donors to pour, spew and produce enormus amounts of extremely toxic chemicals which end up in your food, in the air you breath and in the water YOU drink!

The current system of vastly corrupt laws and regulations places the burden on the government to prove that a chemical is unsafe before it can removed from the market. The standards are so high, the government has been unable to ban chemicals such as asbestos, a widely recognized carcinogen that is prohibited in many other countries.

About 80,000 chemicals are in commercial use in the United States, but federal regulators have assessed only about 200 for safety.

Big Pharma's products that are being flushed down the toilets across America and around the world are poisoning everyone downstream whose local and city water supply's depend on that fresh water.

Mother's milk is increasingly being ever more contaminated with dangerous Petro-Chemical's. For decades Big Oil and Big Coal have been protected from laws and regulations which would force them to deal with the results of their products. Force them to pay for the damage they cause and the diseases that result.

Mothers across America and around the world should stand up against Big Oil and Big Coal and demand they and their toxic chemicals be held entirely accountable for any and all ill effects they produce and contribute to the infant and human condition.

IKHAN   May 10th, 2010 1:16 pm ET

Hey Larry,
@Dodie,@Jessie from Auckland NZ
thanks.Refreshing to see someone from NZ contributing, a great addition.
@Smith in Oregon
once again you have identified a cause of great concern to not only us but for people around the world. We need to stand uo for this.
On the pain of being accused for repeating myself I would venture to say that continuing the legacy of Bush-Cheney era of infamy , we the American public has been coerced into focusing on issues which only serve those intent upon carrying on with the same destructive (for America) policies.
Issues which are of vital importance to the welfare of Americans are often relegated to a position of non-importance. I only pointed to one in my previous post.

Mary-Jane   May 11th, 2010 11:18 am ET

@ KHAN & A. Smith

The tactic utilized is “misdirection” through the media. Educated Americans rely on the media for their daily digestion of information. The Media is ‘big business’ and backed by special interest and large corporate powers.

Thank You A. Smith for staying on task and now allowing the media to move you in a different direction!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter