CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 6, 2010

Flooding in Nashville – you have to see this video

Posted: 10:13 AM ET

Whether you've been to Opryland in Nashville, Tenn., or not – this video of the flooding there is incredible.

Filed under: Weather

Susan   May 6th, 2010 10:37 am ET

Thanks for the video on Nashville. I am very disappointed in the news coverage of this historic event in Nashville from all our News Networks. There is no call being sent out to the people of this country to assist our Tenn State by our News Channels. I am so upset that this is the final straw. I am turning off my cable. When I come home in the evening I want to see the news of whats happening around the country and world. I don't to hear about one thing for hours and days! I don't want to listen to three or four selected folks babble all night about their expert opinion. I just want the true honest facts of what is going on in the World we live in!!! You all have lost any sense of realty about what we Americans want in the form of NEWS! Go Back To The Old School Of Reporting and not Gossiping!

Lori - Justice For Michael   May 6th, 2010 1:12 pm ET

This is just so sad to see the damage and destruction t such a beautiful facility and tourist attraction. Though it has been many years since I have been there, I remember with great clarity how magnificent it was. My prayers for the people of Nashville.

IKHAN   May 6th, 2010 2:26 pm ET

Hi Larry,
good of you to touch on this.
Our media has been so obsessed with the Time Square botched plot that this extremely distressful situation for Nashville folks was all but forgotten. 31 lives lost , extensive damage, they are crying out to the world for help.
What's with us? Politicians trying to capitalize on the Time Square story for their political aims.
The Gulf Oil spill also no more a front pager ? A horrific disaster. Goldman Sachs fraud is also on the back burner.
Lets focus now on these disasters.

Cajazz76:24:8   May 6th, 2010 2:54 pm ET

By a congressional act, back in May 1933, the TVA was created to, among other reasons, control flooding. They are a federally owned corporation and have failed big time on this one. The Cumberland River has flowed over its banks constantly during heavy rains and spring thaws. Computer models have shown this and flooding and always demonstrated the need to correct it. The damage costs have shown the money spent to correct it are worth the price. Over $1,000,000,000 in 'dam'ages could go a long way toward a solution, dammit...

carie   May 6th, 2010 3:15 pm ET

I have been to the Opryland Hotel...this is such a shame. I hope all the residents in and surrounding Nashville are safe.

Smith in Oregon   May 6th, 2010 3:30 pm ET

Study's have shown that listening to Country Western music leads to a greater amount and depth of depression in the listener. Perhaps after Nashville is rebuilt, America will be besieged by 10 years of Nashville Flood inspired Country songs.

shell   May 6th, 2010 5:27 pm ET

I don't know what news you are tuned into but I have been seeing non-stop coverage of this event since Sunday and all this week...? The news outlets have to cover everything and a botched bombing in Time's Square and the fact that the alleged perp almost got out of the country is certainly top news, you can't argue with that. I have seen both covered back to back so rest assured there is plenty of coverage. Geesch. Must we always blurt out the negative thoughts without considering a bigger picture? I lived in Nashville before so it is special to me too. Yes, it is heartbreaking but I feel it IS being covered adequately and people from all over the world ARE rallying for the city with money and help.

Smith in Oregon   May 6th, 2010 6:03 pm ET

The nearby rivers to Nashville rose 50 feet above their normal levels. Such does not happen overnight. During the Columbus day storm many years ago, it rained 30 days and 30 nights turning the part of Northern California I lived in, into a Island. City planners were actively doing all they could LONG before that flood peaked and crested. The US Navy even brought in a Submarine to help supply power to the entire area which was entirely without power.

With our home safe and dry, I went duck hunting with my brother and enjoyed the vast changes that nature and the weather produced. Now many decades later as travelers drive down the scenic Northern California 101 highway which weaves thru the Sequoia National forest, some of them look up and see the high water mark some 30 feet above the highway and notice the river is so far beneath the road bed it's entirely invisible.

It looks to me that City Planners did not do their job in Nashville. Business's were open and very active far past the point that a obvious devastating flood was going to engulf that entire region. The National Guard should have been called by that State's Governor long before the flood waters were cresting and local police should have been mobilized to help move residents out of the effected areas that had not already left after continuous broadcasts to do so.

Again, a Fifty feet rise in the adjoining rivers around Nashville does not happen overnight and the City Planners and State Governor should be called on the carpet over their lapse in not doing their expected job as public servants in helping to minimize the extensive number of deaths and enormous losses.

Sylvia Kerl   May 6th, 2010 7:01 pm ET

I live In Beaumont, Texas the home of Hurricane Rita & Ike. I had terrible damage to my home both times and just, after almost 5 years moved out a "the trailer" and back into our home. We are sick of hearing about New Orleans & Katrina like that is the only catastrophe that has EVER happened. I am so ashamed of our media right now. My nephew called me on Sunday and said "gee thanks for checking on us" and I had to ask why – I had not heard one thing about Nashville flooding. I have family in Nashville and I have to search for news information on the internet. The flooding in Nashville, the home of Country Music, was as bad as the flooding in New Orleans – the difference is the way the people & city government handled themselves – so no story, so there was no racial issues so no media coverage. What about the loss of life, homes, businesses & history? Is that not sensational enough to warrant some coverage? Very sad day in America! Nashville – the people in Beaumont, Texas are praying for you and will continue to do so for many, many months to come. We will help, we will not forget you!

Joe G. (Illinois)   May 6th, 2010 7:45 pm ET

@ Susan, @ Lisa Are you two related? I enjoyed reading both of your comments. They were very refreshing. People complaining about one thing or another all the time. But you two were both effervescent and above the rest.

Cajazz76:24:8   May 6th, 2010 9:55 pm ET

To those who chastised LKL for NOT having mentioned Nashville..

Give Larry King a bit of an accolade for doing a show that highlights the perils in Nashville. He may not be fast, but he gets to it in fashionable time.

Chris   May 6th, 2010 10:07 pm ET

@Smith in Oregon,
They don't seem to be depressed even though they listen to a lot of country music. They seem to have pulled together to begin work on the clean-up. They seem not to have asked us for help. They seem not to have criticized the government. Wish I could ask "sound familiar?" but, of course, it does not.

IKHAN   May 6th, 2010 10:18 pm ET

@Sylvia Kerl
my thoughts exactly on the coverage of this tragedy. Our hearts go out to those who are facing hardships & to the families of those who lost their lives.
I was sorry to hear about your Katrina ordeal but you folks braved it out. All the best to you & your family.Nashville is a real disaster where lives have been lost but the media would sensationalize what they deem fit for their ratings & politicians would grab at what serves their political aims better.
Larry has done the right thing.

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   May 7th, 2010 8:40 am ET

So sorry to hear of this terrible flooding and such a crying shame to see a beautiful hotel like that swamped in water and ruined. It did bring flashbacks of New Orleans and the Katrina disaster.

The rivers rising 50 feet above their normal levels, wow, that is some rise. Global warming probably playing a part here.

I saw a very good and informative documentary programme on TV a few weeks back, called PLANET SCIENCE. It was about the role the Earth's atmosphere plays in protecting the planet.

Something that stood out to me was how the gases in the atmosphere is so finely tuned that any changes to it can affect our whole weather. It was so amazing and frightening as well to what we could be facing owing to the consequences of this.

We cannot dismiss global warming. As one just has to look at all the things that are happening around the world, that have never happened on this scale before.

As someone has mentioned before, that this does not happen overnight. This has been building up for quite sometime I think and the damage is being done without us even knowing it, until it is too late.

Prayers go out to the people of Nashville affected by this disaster.

Theresa   May 7th, 2010 10:55 am ET

OMG...every week there is a new diaster somewhere ...where is it going to be next week. I guess the old adage...be thankful for what you have today because noone knows what tomorrow will bring!!!!!

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   May 7th, 2010 11:12 pm ET

I love country music and there are all different sorts. Covers the whole spectrum. Tearjerkers, melancholy and yes, might I say happy ones too, etc. You have to be in the mood to listen to some of them I think.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter