CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

May 6, 2010

American Idol: Now we're down to the last four

Posted: 08:03 AM ET

From NY Daily News:

Lady Gaga's performance on "American Idol" Wednesday night highlighted the reason this season is having such a bad romance with its contestants.

The queen of costume controversy proved to be all stage presence, little voice on results night, emphasizing the fact that this year's "Idol" contenders are often just the opposite - all voice, no stage presence.

Case in point was the night's cut, Aaron Kelly. The 17-year-old was told on Sinatra night that he needed to fill the stage like Ol' Blue Eyes. But the advice easily applied to any of the four remaining contestants on the show.

(Read more from NY Daily News)

What did you think about Aaron Kelly getting cut?  Was it the right choice? Let us know!

Filed under: American Idol

loraottawacanada   May 6th, 2010 9:11 am ET

Aaron should still be there....Casey is the one that should have been voted off....very limited in vocal range and style!

Bill   May 6th, 2010 9:32 am ET

Idol is failing because:
1. The save rule makes it unfair. Mike was voted off by the viewers weeks ago, but because he is black, the judges said he could stay. Imagine the uproar if a few blacks were voted off, then when the white guy gets voted off they saved him.
2. With all the talent that tries out for the show, they do not find the best. They are more concerned with story lines, hardship cases, and filling their minority quota.
3. Judges have too much power. Get rid of the save, and let the viewers start voting when they are down to 48 or 36 or 24, not 12.
4. Themes are sometimes too limiting. Although the themes have been pretty good this year, Shania Twian songs were too limiting. They should have made her week all country songs.
Part of my judging is on the contestants taste in music. Also, it's difficult for contestants to perform well when they are forced to sing songs they don't like or know.

Lux Bhakta   May 6th, 2010 10:33 am ET

Casey should have gone. Voting should be for the best singer – performer and not good looks.

Lux Bhakta   May 6th, 2010 10:35 am ET

another comment. Randy Jackson should not Boo whenever Simon is being interviewed at the beginning of the show. Judges should respect each others comment and not argue with each other.

Cajazz76:24:8   May 6th, 2010 1:53 pm ET

@To all the above comments

Quit whining! It was American viewers that made the choice, just like they did TWICE to elect the Cheney-Bush yodelers.

That young man, Aaron, will do well and he won't be the least bit harmed by being voted out. He has a good future ahead a little reality check will only make him better. Just wish him well and don't cry on his shoulder, he doesn't need that, as much as wishes, for a bright future..Good luck to him and all the others...

Hugh in California   May 6th, 2010 3:24 pm ET

This season, I haven't watched one episode of American Idol, and I'm willing to bet I can sing Frank Sinatra tunes better than anyone on that stage. Oh, I'm too old to qualify for the show, but I still got the pipes. Listen to my "The Way You Look Tonight" on youtube if anyone doubts my ability. By the way, Sinatra is America's greatest singer of all time! Still, good luck to whoever wins; "Idol" has showcased many talented singers.
Hugh Carpenter

Smith in Oregon   May 6th, 2010 3:33 pm ET

I might watch this comedy/ entertainment show occassionally after Simon Cowe quits / is fired / resigns at the end of this season.

Bill   May 6th, 2010 4:36 pm ET

Cajazz76:24:8 said
"Quit whining! It was American viewers that made the choice"

WRONG! You should learn the facts before you post. The veiwers voted Mike off weeks ago, but 4 judges over ruled millions of voters. In some ways I think it took the heart out of the other contestants when they realized they were on an unfair show.
So for example Aaron has to say he came in 5th on his resume even though he really came in 4th.

Anonymous   May 6th, 2010 5:50 pm ET

as to american idol....i am so over that show. I haven't watched the last three weeks. it is ovahhhhhhh

Cajazz76:24:8   May 6th, 2010 7:21 pm ET

@Hugh in California

You can sing, you can cook, but can you dance? I'd say so the way you two-step in these blogs. I can't sing Sinatra, it gets all boogered up in my nose. Take care, Hugh!

Cajazz76:24:8   May 6th, 2010 7:25 pm ET

@Bill

Sounds like you have your pipes rattling with racial overtones. Cry baby!

Lavon Miller   May 6th, 2010 7:39 pm ET

Chrystal and Lee should be the final two.
Neither big Mike nor Casey has the vocals the above two do.
Casey and guitar can have a career of his own if he wants it. Not sure about big Mike.

Irish white girl...   May 6th, 2010 8:18 pm ET

For those that think Mike was "voted off" I think you forget that no one gets voted off – they are "voted back". The fact that Mike was not in the bottom 2 for the next, what was it, 3 weeks? tells me the judges made the right decision to keep him in. Does that make it an unfair contest? Not at all as the rule was in place from the beginning and they all agreed to play anyways!

I think the reason for the rule is because too often the fan base figures the best talent will get voted back without their help and get lazy in their voting. I for one am glad that his fans woke up and that he is still in it! I think he is great and deserves to still be there based on his talent and certainly not on his color!

Hugh in California   May 6th, 2010 8:37 pm ET

Cajazz76:24:8,
I can't ballroom dance or do the tango, but I can sure shake a leg! LOL!

Bill   May 6th, 2010 9:40 pm ET

@Irish white girl
You are really nit picking with your voted off or voted back pettiness. I know that. But the producers and Ryan fix the show by influencing the not so bright viewers. They gave Mike and his baby so much air time in the beginning. Ryan makes comments like " We have shocking results tonight" when mike was NOT VOTED BACK. Also Ryan said things like "Mike is trying to make a better life for his baby". Aren't they all trying for a better life? In the Ford commercial they are all evil vampires attacking Mike the good guy in the convertable. The show is fixed and unfair. Also, with all the people that try out, they don't find the best. Look at that woman that was passed over when she tried out, and now she is a country super star. I think her name or the group's name is Lady Antibella or something.

Cajazz76:24:8   May 6th, 2010 9:42 pm ET

Hugh in California

I'll take take to mean a leg of lamb...

Idzan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia   May 7th, 2010 12:01 am ET

My best wishes to Kelly. He's very young and can take part in more Idols to come.
I think Tim, the one who sang That's Life will be this year's Idol.
But I want the girl to win.

SORRY   May 7th, 2010 2:54 am ET

I'M SORRY THIS DOESN'T PERTAIN TO THE SUBJECT. BUT I NEED TO WARN YOU. NEVER, NEVER FLY SPIRIT AIRLINES. IT IS THE WORST!!!!! ON HOLD, 1&1/2 HOURS. NEVER PICKED UP. THE WORST SERVICE. PEOPLE WHO DOES NOT UNDERSTAND ENGLISH ANSWERING THEIR PHONES WHEN YOU FINALLY GET THROUGH.
MY WIFE LOVE AMERICAN IDOL WE LOVE MIKE.

Cajazz76:24:8   May 7th, 2010 9:28 am ET

@SORRY

You get what you pay for...always, right? We still pay less to fly today than in the 1960's, and that's a fact. Deregulation of the airlines made that happen. When government get's their nose out of private enterprise they can regulate the prices lower because, as we know, government is big business and costs big money. Sorry, you feel so inconvenienced. Adios amigo!

Dodie   May 7th, 2010 11:28 am ET

@ SORRY

Be thankful it’s only the service you have problems with. I flew RAMA in 1991. I will not say their entire name (Not American, European or Asian) bound for a country in Africa. One hour out of JFK, we had to turn back, dump all of our aviation fuel and make an emergency landing, with head tucked in case of a crash. I was the only American aboard the aircraft. After sitting 6 hours in the aircraft waiting for the plane to be fixed, I walk up looking for a place to obtain some fresh air and walked by an area where numerous people were working. As I passed by and looked down, I could see the ground from "inside" the aircraft. It took 3 days to fix the aircraft; needless to say, I found another airline company to make my journey.

Cajazz76:24:8   May 7th, 2010 5:50 pm ET

@Dodie

Those emergency procedures can really give you some unique insight. Good thing somebody had the foresight to establish them. Did you hear them in the native tongue of the majority of the passengers, as well? It's important to be bi-lingual when travelling, never know when a foreign tongue will used aboard a non-domestic carrier. The pilot's are all supposed to use the language of aviation, English, but often the flight attendants aren't that well versed in it.. -_-

mariam   May 8th, 2010 2:59 pm ET

Hi Cara, Randy, Simon and Ellen,
I'm from Dubai and just wanted to tell you we love the show and think it is one of the best entertaining shows ever. I really enjoy the show and think you do a great job. I went to the american idol experience in Florida. It was wonderful. I think the real thing would be amazing. I am 40 something but feel really young watching idol. Idol makes me smile, sing and laugh. Well done to the producer. Idol is a success.
I would like to request you do a show on Michael Jackson Greatest hits.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter