CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 27, 2010

LKL 25: An experience like no other

Posted: 02:56 PM ET

It’s Larry King Live’s 25th anniversary and we want to share with you some of our LKL memories, what it’s like to work on the program and our favorite moments of the past 25 years of history-making television.  During the next few weeks, we’ll be posting blogs from Larry’s staffers as we count down to the program’s 25th anniversary week, beginning May 31st.

Let us know what you think and don’t forget to rate YOUR favorite moments and enter our sweepstakes for a chance to win a trip to Los Angeles to meet Larry in person!

By LKL Senior Producer Eleanor McManus

When people ask me what it's like to work for Larry King, I tell them it's like being on a roller-coaster ride every single day.  Some days may be slower than others, but the days there is breaking news are like no other!

No day is ever the same, and when you least expect it, when you're inching up that roller-coaster hill very slowly, all of a sudden you fly down with no chance of stopping.

It is an honor and privilege to work for Larry King.  I started out answering phones for the show about 10 years ago at the ripe young age of 23.  I loved the energy, the excitement, the wide range of topics and intriguing guests.  I was working for a true journalistic icon.

Everyone has a "First time I met Larry" story, but I can't seem to recall my first time.  Perhaps because every time I see him, Larry King is the exact same person he was when I began work for him 10 years ago.  He talks to everyone from an A-list celebrity to a receptionist the same way – a rare trait in TV.  He doesn't consider himself a talk show icon, instead, he considers himself the guy next door who happens to have a TV show.  He really is a salt-of-the-earth guy, which is so refreshing especially in the television business.

The difference between now and then?  He finally knows my name!  I no longer have to say "It's Eleanor from your office in DC."   Now he knows it’s me calling to talk about a possible interview or the next big "get."

Looking back, it's hard to believe I've spent 1/3 of my life working for "Larry King Live."  While working for Larry, I was able to obtain my Masters in Journalism, meet my husband at CNN, and give birth to a baby boy (which Larry kindly mentioned on that night's show), and now have another one on the way!

Professionally I was given the opportunity to go out on several historic, interesting, and amazing stories, as well as travel all around the world.  I've been lucky to meet some wonderful people who have touched my heart.  I've also met some incredible (and some forgettable) politicians and celebrities.  But, that said, there are a few people you meet who you truly feel have had an impact on you, who are genuinely good people, who truly care what you have to say, and you truly care what they have to say.  I'm lucky enough to have Larry King be one of those individuals.  How many people can say that about their boss?

I can honestly say I'm fortunate to have had the experiences I've had, and to work for someone like Larry King.  I'm grateful to Larry for an amazing ride that's continued to be fun, challenging and exciting 10 years later.

Filed under: LKL 25

Cajazz76:24:8   April 27th, 2010 3:44 pm ET

Larry KIng..

As you slide down the banister of life you may have had to pick a few splinters out of your ash, butt you have been solid ass an oak..Congrats and live on!

Cajazz76:24:8   April 27th, 2010 3:50 pm ET

Ellen McManus

Ten years and you cannot remember your first time? WOW! Have you ever been hammered with or by the King? You don't have to answer that, I am just being a smart ash. Take care of LKL...may both he and the show live on.

Cajazz76:24:8   April 27th, 2010 4:08 pm ET

LKL SHOW

Let's hope the 25 year's of progress remains unhampered by progress!

Cajazz76:24:8   April 27th, 2010 4:16 pm ET

LKL SHOW & CNN

correction:

Let's hope the 25 years of tradition remains unhampered by progress and politics! It would stagnate if the atmosphere of the show became clouded over like PHOX NEWS!!! Keep off the one-way street they always seem to be driving home on with their one-wheeled opinions.

IKHAN   April 27th, 2010 5:52 pm ET

Larry King, carry on old chap & remain above the murky swirls of biases & bigotry. We have enough of that.

marilyn goodell   April 27th, 2010 9:41 pm ET

CONGRATULATIONS LARRY, on 25 YEARS!!!!!!

Jayson Cohen   April 27th, 2010 9:43 pm ET

I just read Larry kings book and I must say it changed the way I look at my own life. What a guy ! He is and inspiration and a true icon. Before I read his book I caught his show here and there but now, I really make it a point to watch when 6:00 rolls around.

His insight his humility and his true love for people is a wonderful departure of todays right wing bombasts.....

karenine Leveque   April 28th, 2010 12:42 am ET

Larry!

I am a true fan and follower of you and your show. I love you dearly and really hope to meet you one day and believe me there are not many people that I would like to meet in my life although I am no body.

Regards, and May God continue to bless you and your family!!!!!

Rose Carrigan   April 28th, 2010 12:46 am ET

Larry King I have a question–directed to Michael Moore in concerns of Goldman Sachs. My investment was in Real Estate with Affirmative Equities of New York and there where over 400 people lost our retirement investment with this company and now my retirement is in bankruptcy. Do you think that Goldman Sachs and Andrew Jubelt were in this take over togather? Robert House is in Ga. who was a broker who put our investments with this crook and now I have no money to pay my mortgage nor my bills. How can we as a group link Affirmative –Andrew Jubelt and and Robert House with Goldman Sachs? I want my money back and in July 2008 my money stopped. Jan. 2009 Jubelt filed bankruptcy on our investment. I need your HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

karenine Leveque   April 28th, 2010 12:47 am ET

Larry!

Regards, and may god continue to bless you and your family

Cajazz76:24:8   April 28th, 2010 1:25 am ET

karenine Leveque

You are somebody....these blogs are read and your opinion is valued around the world...

Semih   April 28th, 2010 6:46 am ET

Hey Larry im writing you from Turkey may be it's a little bit different in that way i like watching you n ur show every afternoon at 12 o'clock here.i truly believe that i gained a lot of things with you like speaking English and working in a firm on import/export business (: i would be so glad to meet you in LA but i saw that its impossible cause im out of the US .....i want u to know that someone in the world is going to vote for top5 LKL moments ever ..D:
God bless you...

Matt Slade   April 28th, 2010 3:53 pm ET

Mr.King
I appreciate you having Mr.Moore on your program last night. I wanted to let you know that there is in fact a protest scheduled for Thursday which will be a sizable protest. There will also be a smaller protest on Friday actually at the New York Stock Exchange. I belong to a group named Whatever it Takes and we will be caravaning from Detroit Michigan to protest on Friday. We would like to invite everyone that wants to participate in this protest to show up and make youre voice heard. We know the real cause of our failing economy, and that is Free Trade and Greedy Corporations that help the Wall Street Alete acieve massive gains while selling our Country to the lowest bidder. The problem with the Tea Party is a very broad statement about a change in leadership. (which is obviously slanted towards the Republican Party) They offer no solution, which is what we do. The only offering is political caos which would lead to more of the same old thing. Jobs are our future and the only feasible answer. That is where our tax base comes from and without real discussion on this issue Corporations and their bottom line will continue to control this Country.

Venita Jackson   May 13th, 2010 2:39 pm ET

I am a big fan of LKL and I hope that you will make a silver anniversary video with you talking about each interview individually. Thanks and God Bless you and your family and heres wishing many more LKL episodes.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter