CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 19, 2010

American Idol on LKL tonight; Doubtful that Paula Abdul will return

Posted: 08:42 AM ET

(Entertainment Tonight) Paula Abdul spoke with Entertainment Tonight's Samantha Harris about her future in show biz following reports that she may be returning to "American Idol."

"I'm always a fan but I don't think that's happening," Abdul said of coming back to the judges' table. Abdul attended the 8th Annual TV Land Awards and referred to her time on "Idol" as the "most wonderful experience of my life."

Season nine of the hit singing show is in full swing, and WE'VE GOT RYAN SEACREST AND THE JUDGES TONIGHT ON LKL – TUNE in at 9pmet – and let us know, do you think Paula should return to American Idol?  Weigh in now!!

(Read more from Entertainment Tonight)

Filed under: American Idol • Ellen DeGeneres • Larry King Live • Ryan Seacrest • Simon Cowell

Cajazz76:24:8   April 19th, 2010 10:07 am ET

Maybe Ellen DeGeneres was brought on-board American Idol to add a representative for the gay contestants, but beyond hosting the Grammy Awards a couple times, her musical ability is just like mine, zero. However, I do see the reason behind her being selected and that is the last season winner, based on talent alone, should have been Adam Lambert. It seems to me that Christian conservatives, by their majority and their tin ears, picked the winner based on his belief and not his ability. The winner from last season does Ford commercials and I cannot remember his name. I was in Conway, Arkansas, his hometown, attending my daughter's college graduation and he was there to do a concert and I cannot remember his name. Maybe I am touched by the early onslaught of Old Timer's Disease, or whatever they call it. I will say that Simon Cowell does have the ability to pick raw talent and make them stars, as does Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardia...who looks awesome with her clothes off, butt Ellen, probably not so much...

Cindy   April 19th, 2010 10:48 am ET

@Cajazz,
I agree Adam Lambert was excellent and he and Chris have very different styles. I don't think that Christian conservatives necessarily have tin ears more than any other group. In all due respect, isn't it possible that Chris obtained more votes but was not supported by as many people. Supporters of the others, including Adam, perhaps didn't make the same commitment to the number of calls they placed. The name is Chris Allen. His voice on the Ford commercials is quite good; it makes sense that someone who likes Adam's style may not like Chris', but both have good voices.

Cajazz76:24:8   April 19th, 2010 12:28 pm ET

I initially felt it was just because he was gay, but then I read numerous articles that many Christian conservatives launched an internet campaign to insure Chris Allen would would be well represented, since he avowed his beliefs on the show...That is okay though, they are allowed to cast their votes as they well choose..I have no problem with majority rules in any contest..

Cajazz76:24:8   April 19th, 2010 12:53 pm ET

Cindy

A quick look on google and you can find more...than this.

The Buffalo Examiner’s gay and lesbian issues point man, Kelvin Lynch, likewise explained it, “Kris is practically a poster boy for heterosexual, white-bread Christianity, while Adam is an in-your-face Jewish gay man. That could very well have played a significant role in the final voting among red state voters with texting capability.”

And Elliot Olshansky wrote in the New York Daily News: “Going into the finale, there was talk of ‘red state-blue state’ politics at work, with Lambert’s painted fingernails, ‘guyliner,’ and uncertain sexuality against Allen’s down-home, churchgoing sensibilities. Given the current political climate, that matchup appeared to favor Lambert, but a number of blue-state types may be ‘too cool’ for Idol’s mass appeal, and unlikely to vote.”

Cajazz76:24:8   April 19th, 2010 4:43 pm ET

Cindy

Another factoid just for grins...about 76% of U.S. residents are Christian, about 2.2% are Jewish. Over 32% of the world's Jews live in the U.S. and over 40% live in Israel. About 3-8% of the U.S. population is estimated to be gay, a difficult number to assess for obvious reasons. So between being gay or Jewish which would be a greater obstacle for Lambert? Just a little twist for thought....

Bill   April 19th, 2010 5:38 pm ET

THE SAVE RUINED THE SHOW! The save cost the show it's integrity and fairness. Imagine the uproar if the 12th, 11th, and 10th contestant voted off were black, and then the 9th contestant voted off was white but they told the white contestant he or she could stay. You would hear blacks claiming racism all over the place and Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would probably lead protest marches.
Also, Ryan's comments are unfair and stupid. Comments like a shocking result when Mike was voted off. Shocking says who? Then the stupid comment that Mike was trying to provide a better life for his baby. Well they are all striving for better lives, not just Mike. Also sick of seeing Simon and Kara playing with each other instead of paying attention. They should separate them.

Cindy   April 19th, 2010 6:58 pm ET

@Cajazz,
Thanks for the statistics; also the correct spelling of Kris' name.
You do pose a little twist for thought. Two people immediately come to mind. One is Neil Diamond and the other is Elton John, both of whom I think our phenomenal, and just think how many years ago it all started for the two of them. As I think about them, I find myself wondering why either of the descriptors you assigned Adam would ever be an obstacle. What do you think?

Cajazz76:24:8   April 19th, 2010 7:10 pm ET

@Cindy

Two words come to mind...bias and minority..

Cajazz76:24:8   April 19th, 2010 7:19 pm ET

@Cindy

Two synonyms to substitute....impartiality and counter-culture...

Cindy   April 19th, 2010 7:23 pm ET

@Cajazz,
Maybe but I don't think it gets in the way of great talent. If it did, how would you explain Neil and Elton. And then, how about Ruben and Clay landing the top two spots. Just not sure I'm totally with you on this one; will have to think more about this.

Cajazz76:24:8   April 19th, 2010 7:24 pm ET

A few little ones come to my mind..Little Richard..Little Anthony..Little Bob minus the Lollipops...

Sarah   May 19th, 2010 8:23 pm ET

So I love Paula Abdul and Simon Together on idol hope she will come back!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter