CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 15, 2010

Idol’s Katie Stevens: It’s not the end for me

Posted: 07:46 PM ET

Ok Idol fans…we’re down to 7!

Do you agree with Wednesday night’s eliminations?  Were you surprised?  Angry?  Happy?  Indifferent?  Let us know!

For those of you who went to bed early (and managed to stay away from your television, computer, radio and friends today), here’s what you need to know:

Katie Stevens, the 17-year-old who caused Kara and Simon to argue over whether she was a country singer or a pop/R&B singer (Katie sets the record straight for us here at LKL Blog) and Andrew Garcia, who wowed America and the judges with his take on former Idol judge Paula Abdul’s hit “Straight Up” during Hollywood week (but didn’t seem to live up to the high standard he’d set for himself), left the stage for the last time last night…

BOTH Idol contestants took some time for an exit interview with us this afternoon to talk about what the experience meant to them and what their future plans will be (how do you go back to high school after doing something like this, Katie??)

As always, let us know what you think about Katie, Andrew or anything Idol…and don’t forget to tune in Monday when Larry talks to SIMON, KARA, RANDY AND ELLEN for the hour about “Idol Gives Back”…live from our studio.

LKL Blog:  How are you feeling?  You’ve had a little time to digest what’s happened…

Katie Stevens:  I feel great.  I feel happy that I’ve made it this far.  And fortunate enough to work with all the amazing people I did.  So I’m leaving this very, very proud of myself.  It’s not the end for me.  I’m going to continue to follow my dream.  And hopefully put out an album at some point.  So we’ll see where it goes.

LKL Blog:  Were you surprised at last night’s eliminations?

Katie:  I always go into it thinking that Idol is unpredictable.  And sometimes the results are surprising.  So it could be me at any time.  And I had this feeling when I was on stage with Mike [Idol contestant Michael Lynche, who was saved by judges last week], that it was going to be me.  So I kind of prepared myself to sing my song.  And that’s what I did.  I was emotional, but I tried to do the best that I could.

LKL Blog:  It’s got to be hard.  We’ve talked about this with other contestants too – when you’ve got the judges, who give criticisms and critiques and advice, and you’ve got the producers and everyone else that you work with on the show, taking all that in but trying to remain true to yourself as a performer – how does that all come into play?

Katie:  I started off in the top 24 trying to do everything that the judges said and trying to appease all of them.  And then I realized I just needed to do what feels right to me and to be myself.  So I definitely learned a lot through everything.  I learned to take the judges’ criticism and their advice and just see what I could use and what I couldn’t for what I ultimately want to become as an artist.

LKL Blog:  What would you like to become, who would you like to become as an artist?  Because Simon and Kara were arguing for a while over your style: country vs. pop/R&B…

Katie:  I think I side more with Kara and Randy when they talk about pop with R&B leanings.  I definitely want to put out and album, kind of like a Kelly Clarkson vibe, a soulful voice with a pop rock background.  I think it’s something that I’ve always loved; and always loved to perform.  So that’s the kind of album that I’d like to put out.

LKL Blog:  Is there anything that you would have done differently looking back at it all now?

Katie:  You know what?  I wouldn’t have done anything differently because I think each choice that I made, made me stronger with the criticisms that I got.  I built a thick skin with the more harsh notes I got from the judges.  So I mean, ultimately this is going to shape who I am as a person, not only as an artist.

LKL Blog:  Does it change you?  It must be an experience, to say the least, to go from being a 17-year-old singer to being thrown out on this huge stage.

Katie:  Definitely.  It’s been the most amazing thing that’s ever happened to me.  And it’s something that I’m proud to say that I did.  It’s a big accomplishment for me.  I was in high school walking down the halls, going to pre-calculus and psychology and stuff like that.  It was a different environment for me.  It made me stronger.  And I grew up so much from it.

LKL Blog:  Were you able to stay in touch with your friends from this?  Or were you sort of off the grid for a little while?

Katie:  I definitely stayed in touch with my friends.  It was important to me that I stay grounded because I didn’t want to forget where I came from and who I was before this.

LKL Blog:  So how do you come down from all of this?  For the past six or seven weeks, you’ve been in the middle of America’s stage.  What are you going to do to decompress?

Katie:  Just go home, just sleep.  Spend time with my family and friends.

Posted by:
Filed under: American Idol

I'M RIGHT   April 15th, 2010 8:00 pm ET

Katie, you’re a winner wherever you go now. You will have awesome opportunities never dreamed of.

Mary Provencio   April 15th, 2010 10:33 pm ET

Hi Katie, my whole family voted for you. We wish you the best and look forward to a future album. Don't give up. We love you.

Judy Knight   April 16th, 2010 12:04 am ET

Katie,
I was very....upset that you got voted off on Wednesday night.
You are one of the best vocalists they have this year!!
If for some reason you don't get a contract, which I am sure someone will pick you up, you always can come back next year.
You are so young and yet so mature, and a beautiful girl.

Good Luck Sweetie,
Judy

Juliana   April 16th, 2010 12:27 am ET

I love Katie! She's so cute and is an AMAZING singer! You could totally tell how sad Kara was that she was eliminated... I know we'll be seeing/hearing much more from her soon; I can't wait! Love you Katie :]

Donna   April 16th, 2010 1:56 am ET

Katie was terrific and I was sorry to see her go! She's a beautiful young woman who seems to be very mature for her age – and kept getting bad comments from the judges because of it! They kept telling her to be "younger", etc. She has a beautiful voice, a beautiful smile and I'm sure we haven't seen the last of her! Good luck Katie!

AG Fan   April 16th, 2010 9:48 am ET

As great as Katie is, I am ok w/her going home. Andrew has something really special and I was really sad to see him go....😦

Lee   April 16th, 2010 11:14 am ET

we voted our fingers off for you! Good luck witht he future!!

Nancy   April 16th, 2010 11:16 am ET

Katie,

My husband and I both agree with Simon. You should try country music. Just look at Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift. Can't really say you only hear their music on "Country" only stations. You would be a perfect Cross-Over Artist. Country music is really doing well lately for a lot of young up and coming artists.

Whatever you choose, we wish you the best.

Pure Canadian   April 16th, 2010 11:49 am ET

Katie... you were the weakest link. Your voice is very flat..that's why Simon said Country for you! You mentioned Kelly Clarkson.. you wanted to be like her, not a chance dear. I'm glad you’re gone! Sorry to be so harsh but...that's just my opinion🙂 As for Andrew I liked him...he wasn't going to win but he was unique!! Katie you weren't unique at all!! When you would sing I would lower the volume.

Freedom of speech may suck sometimes, but I watch American Idol religiously and I don't know how you made it as far as you did🙂

Tracey   April 16th, 2010 12:29 pm ET

To Judy Knight, Katie can't come back next year. Once you reach the top 12 thats it, you can't try out again.

Linda   April 16th, 2010 12:39 pm ET

Katie -
America made the wrong choice this week!
All the best to you!

Notafan   April 16th, 2010 12:42 pm ET

I'm with Pure Canadian. Every week she sang, same old thing. No star quality whatsoever. I actually find her irritating, to be honest. I would never consider buying a CD she put out.

John   April 16th, 2010 1:05 pm ET

Pure Canadian... I think you need to go north and get your ears checked. Andrew was not unique. One week of him and I was turned off. He has only one sound and its a whinny kind of sound. Who wants to listen to someone whine all the time.
I love Katie. I thought she was wholesome and down to earth and she just wanted to let people know she was out there. She is young and she IS very talented. She kicked booty this week with her song.
Love ya Katie! Wish you the best!

dollar79   April 16th, 2010 1:23 pm ET

i think she is annoying, she looks like and reminds me of that girl on 1 or 2 seasons ago who kept crying her eyes out and singing the same song over and over again, i think her name was tatiana or something.

ALG   April 16th, 2010 1:31 pm ET

@Pure Canadian: You have no idea what you are talking about (Tim, Aaron, Andrew , Casey – all much weaker than Katie).....but I guess you have the right to say what you want just like I do too.

FRAN   April 16th, 2010 1:33 pm ET

Katie and Andrew never would have won anyway but Tim Urban should have been the one sent home last week and he never would have gotten the save by the judges he has been awful every week and this week he was just ok and they made such a big deal over it and it wasn't that good! It has yet again become a popularity contest for the young girls who stay up all night voting for the cute boys. Crystal is the clear winner here so at this point makes no difference who goies home now. Worst Idol season ever!

Paul   April 16th, 2010 1:57 pm ET

Pue Canadian.... being a Canadian myself, I hope people do not think that we all have a lack of Judging talent as you do. Katie was really good and I am betting that you see and hear from her again.

Elisa   April 16th, 2010 2:13 pm ET

Katie,
You've got an amazing voice. I can't believe you were sent home this week. You're much, much better than Siobhan Magnus. I thought she would go home before you.

Jessica   April 16th, 2010 2:28 pm ET

I don't understand why Katie got kicked off! How is Tim still on that show? He is just awful! It should have been him!

ladypriest   April 19th, 2010 1:51 pm ET

i believe im is long over due to go katie is much beter but you will get the desires of your heart to get a cd. Ble you in all your endeavors stay sweet

Thierry   April 19th, 2010 3:20 pm ET

Katie,

Best of luck to you in whichever direction you are heading to, Pop R&B or Country..I am glad to see that you have reached that far in the contest. The most important thing in life is not to win or to loose, but how we made it and what we have learned from that experience. You have shown a lot of maturity and growth during that time, much better than Didi Benami who was always trying to sell her sob stories to gain pity / sympathy and put the blame on Simon the very childish way..Contestants have their rights to agree or not to agree with the judges but there are many ways to say it, like you once have said: " well I will do it for you Simon ..". To be or not to be, to do or not to do, you don't have to sock into anybody's shoes to do it but sometimes in life, we must look at people's advices and digest them carefully. Want to leave you with a quote of the day: In youth we learn, in age we understand. And I have a prediction for your future too:
whatever you do in life, If you cannot be on the top, you won't be at the bottom, cause you have a very bright face. I am not a prophet but I can see that.

Two more advices:
1) don't drop out from school, and
2) if you have to sing with a high pitch, try not to screech or scream like Siobahn, cause it is very weird.
At last but not least, take good care of your grand mother with Love and Devotion.

Best of Luck

Korney   April 19th, 2010 4:25 pm ET

Katie,, Sorry to see you go... but not for long. You're sexy, cute, and you have a great outlook. I can't wait for your first record.. Seriously, you can sing both country and pop and i would buy both. keep smiling,,,luv ya..

cYNTHIA cURTIS   April 20th, 2010 10:53 am ET

KATIE SHOULD HAVE STAYED BIG MIKE SHOULD HAVE GONE

idolwatcher   April 20th, 2010 11:56 am ET

Katie seems like a sweet girl, she just doesn't have it yet. She has plenty of time. I really thought she should have gone before a lot of the others.

moon627   April 20th, 2010 3:08 pm ET

It was time for Andrew to go but i dont think Katie shouldve been voted off before Tim or Aaron but i guess it was gonna happen eventually anyway since it should come down to Crystal or Lee in the end.

Katie has a great voice and can definitely have a future singing but not big time without more training and experience.

Phil   April 21st, 2010 7:19 pm ET

@Judy Knight

Katie cannot come back next season...Once a contestant is selected for the top 24 they become ineligible to return to Idol.

SO GOOD   April 22nd, 2010 1:37 pm ET

Pure Canadian I would like to know your qualifications to judge? Perhaps you’re one of the people who has listened to loud music for such a long time you can not quality. Don’t try to be a mini Simon. He is who he is. You’re nothing. Most likely can’t sing. I don’t know you but I do know one thing that is coming your way. BIG TIME JUDGMENTS. PEOPLE ARE GOING TO BECOME SO JUDGMENTAL OF YOU IT WILL MAKE YOU WANT TO RETRACT YOUR JUDGMENTS ON KATTIE. Matthew 7: 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
4 How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?
5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.
6 "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

Dave in Connecticut   April 22nd, 2010 3:28 pm ET

Katie you bowed out gracefully. You did a surperb job. American Idol is less interesting to watch now that your gone. You should have stayed longer as you sang better than Aaron, Andrew and Tim, but somehow they snuck through. I am sure you ask yourself , "What would have happened if they didn't save big Mike, would I still be there?", Yes, I believe you would have a least gotten one more week maybe more. Katie, your an inspiration to us all, chase you dream and I will be sure to buy your album.

Truthi   April 23rd, 2010 8:08 am ET

Katie...you were lovely! You're young but carried yourself with grace & dignity that is years ahead of your age...good for you! You will make it in the music industry but now you study hard and enjoy your youth! Theres still time for you to grow..don't rush into anything..you've had a lot a fame in a little time and you handled it well...be a child again..'cos thats what you are sweetheart...and sing, never stop singing!
xx

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter