CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 12, 2010

LKL Web exclusive: Dr. Oz is my husband, not my personal trainer!

Posted: 04:02 PM ET

Editor's note:  Lisa Oz is a writer, producer and entrepreneur.  But she’s also mother and a wife – and happens to be married to one of America’s most famous physicians – Dr. Mehmet Oz!  Lisa supplies insight and advice about relationships in her new book, “Us: Transforming Ourselves and the Relationships That Matter Most.”

Below, in this LKL Blog exclusive, Lisa explains that just because she’s married to a diet and health guru, doesn’t mean she skips bread at dinner…

By Lisa Oz

I have begun to dread shopping.  As soon as I relinquish my credit card I get an unabashed once over and the incredulous “Are you related to Dr. Oz?”

I reply that I am, thank them for being a fan of the show, and brace myself.

“What’s it like being married to America’s Doctor?”

“Umm...” I stammer “great?”

“But do you feel extra pressure to be healthy?” (As if my natural inclination were to be sickly.)

“Not particularly” I reply reaching for the receipt.  Invariably they cling to it through the next round of questions.

“Does he watch everything you eat?”

“Not really.”

“Does he make you exercise every day?”

“No.” Honestly, he’s my husband, not my personal trainer.

By this time I have produced my own pen and attempt to sign the slip of paper that they are still clutching.  The general awkwardness frequently prompts them to release it but I have, on occasion, had a particularly aggressive saleswoman retract her hand to keep me captive.

One actually began channeling a 13th Century Grand Inquisitor.  “Have you read your husband’s books?

“Well, yes, I helped write them.”

“Including the diet book?”  She glanced meaningfully at the size 8 on the item I had just purchased.  At 5’3” a size 2 should be more than adequate.

I’m still not sure what she wanted me to say.  “Forgive me, woman holding my credit card, I have sinned.  I ate the bread at dinner last night and now the cellulite on my thighs will never go away.”

I’m aware that Mehmet sets a very high standard.  The amazing thing is that he actually lives by it.  He loves broccoli and would take sprouts over fries any day.  (Vigorous exercise is his natural state of being.)  But the quality that makes him truly unique is his approach to those of us mere mortals who do struggle against the siren’s call of the chocolate bar.

His gift is not in teaching diet and exercise tips.  Lot’s of people can do that.  What Mehmet really provides is affirmation and support.  He connects with his audience on a human level.  He shows them that “the best way to keep your heart healthy is to give it a reason to keep beating.”

For me that reason has always been relationships.  Conscious, loving interactions that provide both joy and opportunity for growth are the best motivators for wanting to live our lives to their fullest potential – no matter what our size.

Maybe the next time I go shopping I should give that saleswoman a hug…

Filed under: Dr. Mehmet Oz • LKL Web Exclusive

Smith360   April 12th, 2010 4:46 pm ET

Another Hollywood power couple, with Dr. Oz on the road tooting his horn on as many networks that will air him, it's likely anything but a traditional marriage.

Mary Beth McGraw   April 12th, 2010 5:36 pm ET

Congrats to you Lisa for being your "own" woman, wife and mother!!! Much success to you also!

Fan of Dr. Oz   April 12th, 2010 9:58 pm ET

Lisa, I think you are beautiful. People can be rude sometimes. I can't wait to read your book.

Nancy in Oregon   April 12th, 2010 10:07 pm ET

I'm embarrassed how rude people can be. Teenagers, yes, they can be gawking fans maybe....but adults? Wow, you handle it awfully well! I'd be affronted by fellow-adults behaving that way! You are a great gal!

Someone who actually likes Mehmet...   April 13th, 2010 1:08 am ET

You're married to a star. It's inevitable that you're going to get questions. Isn't answering them apart of being supportive. I'm sure it gets annoying at times, but I'm also sure he'd do the same for you. Give yourself a break, and smile once in a while.

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   April 13th, 2010 5:44 am ET

She looks young in that picture. I am a fan of Dr Oz and am happy to see he now has his own show. They make quite a team by the sounds of it. All the best to them.

Theresa   April 13th, 2010 8:57 am ET

Honestly, what does she expect...,she's married to a Dr. who has his own tv show .....it's no difference than any other celebrity's spouse. Dr. Oz is no different than any other celebrity. When he was on Oprah occasionally it was fine...no different than Dr. Phil...once they get their own show...the power gets to their head & they become irritating ...the authority be all!!!

Pamela   April 13th, 2010 9:40 am ET

Saw Lisa on the doctor Oz show and she was stunning, but the most attractive thing about her was the energy and love radiating between Lisa and Dr.Oz. You could see the value and love between them.

Marlene in Toronto   April 13th, 2010 11:54 am ET

Lisa, you are no size 8! You are clearly overweight and unhealthy according to Dr. Oz's standards. You say you co-authoried the Dr. Oz diet book. You should practice what you preach. Losing weight will improve your health, self image and relationship with Dr. Oz, yourself and others.

jen   April 13th, 2010 8:03 pm ET

Is Lisa a muslim like her husband? Just curious.

Susan Boltman   April 13th, 2010 8:52 pm ET

Lisa you handled ur self very well w/ that saleswoman. we're our own person– we r women- hear US roar!!!

Susan Boltman   April 13th, 2010 8:57 pm ET

love ur book by the way. Dr Oz obviously loves you & you have 4 beautiful children - & thats what counts!!

Content   April 14th, 2010 10:30 pm ET

She seems cranky, ungrateful and self-centered. Does she realize how fortunate she is to have a great man like that for a husband! If she's so unhappy with being "Dr. Oz's wife", she should go find a Tiger Woods and see what a real bad marriage is like!! Any other woman would be thrilled to be Dr. Oz's wife, with a SMILE.

Observer   April 14th, 2010 11:28 pm ET

I think Lisa is unhappy and insecure in her relationship and that is what causes her to overeat. She needs to get healthy both physically and mentally. She seems like a clingy wife and needs to find herself and have her own interest and let Dr. Oz do the same.

Crystal   September 9th, 2010 10:05 pm ET

My husband was diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer (with mets to the liver) at age 31. The only risk factor he had was being obese. The only symptom he had was blood in his stool. He ignored the blood for about two years. I was going through nursing school during the time that he had the blood in his stool. I kept trying to get him to have a colonoscopy, but he would avoid the problem every time he went to the doctor. By the time he had his colonoscopy, the doctor told him the tumor in his sigmoid colon had probably been growing for about 10 years. He has been on chemotherapy since June of 2008. He was taken off chemo in June of 2009 and the doctors were going to try to do surgery. By the time he went for his pre-op testing, his cancer had grown and spread to his lungs and one lymph node (according to CT scan). He has fought this disease for over 2 years and I am afraid he is getting close to the end of options for treatment. The first and second line treatments have stopped working, so the doctor has started him on a chemotherapy that "might" work.

I would like EVERYONE to be more active in their medical care. I wish more people would have screenings when they have symptoms and/or when it is recommended. My husband says he would rather have 10 colonoscopies a year than have to live like he is now. I wish the ACS would change their recommendations on ages, too. I have seen so many young adults be diagnosed with cancer. The bad thing is, when it is found, it is so far advanced that it is hard to treat. Young adults need more education so they can be more aware of the risks.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter