CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 8, 2010

The Tiger Ad Everyone's Talking About

Posted: 02:43 PM ET

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS AD?  A BRILLIANT REINTRODUCTION OF TIGER, WHILE ACKNOWLEDGING THE CURRENT SITUATION, OR A VULGAR DISPLAY OF COMMERCIALISM? LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS.

Filed under: Tiger Woods

vallary   April 8th, 2010 2:48 pm ET

Please move on with this. there are other golfers. I don't like the ad. What has he really lost, he still has money, play golf in any tourment, still has all the media still has his kids.. So what has he really lost and why should we feel sorry for him. Has been held accountable for what he has done to the sport, his mom, his own kids, his own wife. friends etc... What has he really lost ?

Donna   April 8th, 2010 3:01 pm ET

I also say move on, I'm sick of this story. I think this is now between his wife & kids and Tiger. People seem to be to involved in other people's lives these days, I guess that is why the reality shows are so big. To have people like Sarah Palin & Kate gosselin profitting for nothing just makes me sick. Tiger paid his dues for many years, let the man live his life. Quick Comment about Erick Erickson, why is he part of the CNN network, he seems to be a nutcase!!

Dale in Victoria   April 8th, 2010 4:08 pm ET

This is in VERY poor taste; I'm surprised at and disappointed with Nike!! ...to use the voice of his dead father???
I miss the point of this ad ...would love to have heard the "pitch" so I could understand what they THOUGHT they were saying!

Charlotte   April 8th, 2010 4:14 pm ET

I have had it "UP TO HERE" with Tiger Woods stories. We're in a war, economy is in a slump, mine disasters and the top of the newscast is about a GOLFER with infidelity issues.
It is time for the news media to get their priorities straight.
As for the ad, blatant manipulation.

Dr. M   April 8th, 2010 4:16 pm ET

Tiger has risen above super golfer to an icon. Let him and his family be. The ad is in very poor taste. I doubt if his father would have approved it if he was alive.

CHM   April 8th, 2010 4:28 pm ET

I think the ad is meeting its objective, that being controversy. I don't find it in bad taste. If it were another ad of Tiger just hitting a golf ball as though he had not fallen from grace, that would have been an example of poor taste. Most likely Tiger is the best person to know what his father would have approved and what he would not have approved so I will leave that to Tiger. Those without class are the people dragging messages via airplane across the Masters course. Those are people who need to worry about their own lives, not Tiger's. But most likely that don't have one.

Antionette623   April 8th, 2010 4:32 pm ET

Stop the Madness!

Joan   April 8th, 2010 4:42 pm ET

Why is it relevant to include his father's voice? Tiger, like all children, chose to follow, or not follow, the prior advice and leadership his father once provided. He is dead and gone, so this ad is irrelevant. I think Nike is just trying to re-coup all the dollars they've spent on promoting Tiger for the benefit of selling their products. The point of purchasing Nike golfing products should be based around whether you think they'll help you play better (like Tiger) or not; and not on what you think about Tiger's morals. I just don't think this type of ad is going to make people change their minds about either, so why? Enough on commercializing his moral shortcomings, PLEASE! It's like Nike is looking for an excuse to continue to back him. Like so many other professional athletes, he's a great golfer, not a great man - their decision should be made upon that.

SerenaK   April 8th, 2010 4:47 pm ET

Nike is using a deceased person to try to associate Tiger with a sense of moral legitimacy as embodied by his father.

The irony is: hasn't it come out in the course of this scandal that Earl, the father, also used Tiger's staff to "procure" women who would visit his hotel room?

This ad is a complete crock on every level.

bradb   April 8th, 2010 4:55 pm ET

The man has a gift, he plays great golf. What his personal life is like, how he handles stress, and what he does when he is not playing golf, is between him and his wife period. The ad is trying to give back the innocence that he portrayed when he first started out, wish I could get mine back too!

quimbey   April 8th, 2010 5:21 pm ET

The ad is inappropriate. Nike should not have asked Tiger to do it and Tiger should have said NO.

Anita Lawrence / New Orleans   April 8th, 2010 6:12 pm ET

This is another of the media's attemps to exploit Mr. Woods and pass judgement on him. It amazes me how the media, paparazzi and others are so quick to pass judgement on another when they are very likely doing the same things or worst. I am not a golf fan, nor am I a fan of Tiger Woods however he is a human being with a life to lead just as the rest of us. Tiger Woods infidelity has nothing to do with his ability to continue to be the golf pro that he is and more importantly, It is no one's business. Because he plays golf doesn't mean he owes his life to the media, fans or anyone else. The only one I see him owing an apology to is his higher power & his family. Please get out of the man's business. You have had your 15min of fame. Please go away.

Mona   April 8th, 2010 7:11 pm ET

I think his Dad had a problem with womanizing also so don't think that was such a good ad..Don't believe he was a saint either.

LacrosseMom   April 8th, 2010 7:31 pm ET

The ad is hideous! What IS Nike thinking? Fine, have Tiger on your ad, but this is awful.

Folks, remember that NO one is perfect, people all sin. If I were you, I wouldn't throw too many stones!

Mr. Woods did something wrong, despicable to cheat on his wife. But for people to continue to exploit this is simply wrong.

I am no golf fan, but I sincerely hope Mr. Woods wins, just to quiet the critics!

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   April 8th, 2010 7:55 pm ET

Yes, sounds like his father speaking from the grave coming back to haunt him. Good questions. Most of them have been answered by now. The rest remains to be seen.

Lori - Justice for Michael   April 8th, 2010 8:05 pm ET

Dont like the ad. Don't like the problem. Dont understand why we have to be subjected to the details of what should be Tiger's private life. I am over it. Can we move on? Nike and Weiden & Kennedy should be ashamed of themselves for this blatant manipulation.

TIGER TROT   April 8th, 2010 8:08 pm ET

He has loose morals. When his tiger gets hot it’s going to get loose. So like one said, move on. Who cares? We don’t.

hedy lecznarowicz   April 8th, 2010 8:49 pm ET

its unfortunate and disappointing that CNN is giving so much coverage and time to Tiger Woods. The recent add is a horrible exploitation of his deceased father. Just don't get the purpose.

chazky   April 8th, 2010 9:15 pm ET

Tiger is one sad dude because he was caught. Just like a tiger, tiger won't lose his stripes. Once a degenerate, always a degenerate.

rmb   April 8th, 2010 9:22 pm ET

I am so disappointed in the broad support that this man is receiving. He humiliated and endangered his family, and now we applaud and accolade. Shame on Tiger and us – you are a role model Tiger, and that's why you're the $1B Man

Cindy Morley   April 8th, 2010 9:37 pm ET

I think it is just stupid and I don't think its his dad voice because I have heard is voice.

Theresa   April 8th, 2010 9:51 pm ET

Good Lord....Tiger is NOT a child...he certainly is acting like one though! He is the father of 2 young ,beautiful children...it's about time he acted like one. To use his father's voice is absurd...grow up Tiger. Enough is enough. I guess all the wealth in the world didn't teach this spoiled man any MATURITY!!!!!

Kristy Lynn   April 8th, 2010 10:41 pm ET

Sorry to say but I think he looks sad and stupid. Interesting commerical though it does intrigue you. Nike got the job done. They got everyone talking and watching.

Valerie NYC   April 8th, 2010 10:49 pm ET

Brilliant.

Steve   April 8th, 2010 11:03 pm ET

What a sicko- is there any depth this egomaniac won't crawl down to to regain his money-maker image? Using random quotes from his dead father is not only disrespectful, it's totally creepy. It turns me off even more to him as a person and to Nike as a company. I through with both of them

Leona Henderson   April 9th, 2010 12:41 am ET

For God's sake, leave Tiger alone. He's paying for his mistake, jnow get off his back. this was ttally thoughtless of Nike if that is supposed to be a commercial.
Sign me Disgusted.

NAOMA@CHEERFUL.COM   April 9th, 2010 2:50 am ET

The ad is blatantly STUPID. Tiger is not worthy of all this "press."
He plays golf; cheated with 14 women and if you read the transcript
of his phone calls, you know he wanted some very disgusting acts
with the "mistress." Put my blank where? and then put it where?
Cannot even be written in this comment.

babycarie   April 9th, 2010 7:17 am ET

Tiger is a golfer to the world...his private affairs, no pun intended , are for him and is wife to address. Why do we assume professionals have to answer to us? If corporations wish to pull ads for image, so be it. But let the man golf for the world, and allow him and his family deal with the rest!

Theresa   April 9th, 2010 12:31 pm ET

@CHM...harsh I might be...but maybe if these spoiled adultpro celeb would have been treated a little harsher they would think of someone 1st beside s themselves a better world this place would be. The past decade has pampered ,spoiled all these pros & celebs & now you see what we have. I definitely refuse to apologize for my opinion!!!

Theresa   April 9th, 2010 1:05 pm ET

@Leona Henderson...why are you giving sympathy to Mr. Woods for this ad...of course he had to give jhis approval...he's envisioning the recoup of all those $$$ he lost out on from other sponsors since this case began. Mr. Billionaire will be just fine ...whether his marriage survives...he'll find another ..then we'll see if 45 days of rehab has made a changed man of him. In my opinion he needs yr. of therapy...45 days won't do the trick!!!!

Jeanne   July 10th, 2010 9:54 am ET

Tiger Woods likely thought that this ad (with touching words from the past from his beloved (now dead) father) would put a new spin on his "unfortunate mistake(s)," show him in a new light, etc. IT DOESN'T.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter