CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 7, 2010

LKL tonight- tennis great Martina Navratilova on her breast cancer

Posted: 12:32 PM ET

Tennis legend Martina Navratilova has been diagnosed with breast cancer. The disease was detected early, and the prognosis is said to be excellent.

"I cried," Navratilova, 53, told PEOPLE about the moment in February when a biopsy came back positive after a routine mammogram revealed a cluster in her left breast. "It knocked me on my ass, really. I feel so in control of my life and my body, and then this comes, and it's completely out of my hands."

She was diagnosed with a non-invasive form of breast cancer called ductal carcinoma in situ, or DCIS, which in her case was confined to the milk ducts and had not spread to the breast tissue. "It was the best-case scenario you could imagine for detecting breast cancer," Dr. Mindy Nagle, a good friend of Navratilova's (and her ob gyn), told PEOPLE.

Navratilova had a lumpectomy and will begin six weeks of radiation therapy in May.

NOTE: MARTINA WILL BE OUR GUEST TONIGHT ON LARRY KING LIVE – 9pmet – WHAT DO YOU WANT TO ASK MARTINA ABOUT HER CURRENT BATTLE WITH BREAST CANCER?  WEIGH IN NOW!!

Filed under: Health • Larry King Live

Judy Knight   April 7th, 2010 1:03 pm ET

Martina,

I just wanted you to know that I have been exactly where you were when you were diagnosed. In 1996, I was diagnosed as well with Ductal Carcinoma In Situ of the Left breast ducts. Due to all of the many lumps I had in both breasts at that time, and some long consideration, I opted to have both breasts removed.
There was a long family history and I was tired of going for ultra-sounds every 3 months so I had the bi-lateral mastectomy and Saline Implant surgery.
I am most happy to say, that as of today, as far as I know I am cancer free and have had no problems.
My thoughts and prayers go out to you,
Judy Knight

Vyacheslav Serkov   April 7th, 2010 1:59 pm ET

Martina,

I really hope you'll be okay soon and the radiation therapy will pass successfully

Sincerelly,

Vyacheslav Serkov.

Mona Bouchard   April 7th, 2010 2:20 pm ET

There isn't a family who has not been affected by cancer in some way or another. I was sorry to hear about your illnesss but glad to hear it was caught in it's early stages. Stay strong and good luck throughout the radiation treatments ahead. My prayers are with you.

Mona B.

Martina   April 7th, 2010 2:24 pm ET

Hope all goes well with the treatment and you will be back to your old self again take cars xx

Chris   April 7th, 2010 3:05 pm ET

Dear Martina,

Last fall I was diagnosed with a small but very bad placed blockage in one of my main arteries, which required 'open heart surgery' on Nov.12.09.
Just prior to the angiogram, which resulted in the diagnose, during a fitnes routine I did discover a abnormality in my right breast, which, after a mammogram, being performend (three days prior to heart surgery) turned out be be cancerous, the results were given to me the day after my heat surgery (Nov.13/09). Within 3 1/2 weeks after heart surgery, my right breast was removed (modified radical mastectomy).
I have now had three rounds of chemo therapy, which will be follow ed by 16 days of radiation, then 5 years of 'hormone therapy'.
I've never felt a single day that my life had changed forever (it did – by not having the same body, but, I have been always very upbeat, have not thought one single day of 'CANCER" and would like you to know, with today's modern and new treatments, there is always hope you, I and countless others will be living a very happy and productive life. Sure, chemo is not for the 'faint hearted' ,in my case, I am taking every day as a blessing and I am looking forward to have my hair regrow at some point. Maybe I will be 'awarded' with a beautiful head of curly hair, which would be a great 'reward.
I will be thinking and praying for you. For me, life is good, it will be for you as well, I believe this with all my heart.
Will be watching Larry tonight.
Love and best wishes.

Janet Crean   April 7th, 2010 3:34 pm ET

I too was diagnosed three years ago with DCIS. It floored me too since there was no history in my family. But after the initial shock and researching everything to detail, I came to the conclusion that if I was going to get any kind of cancer. This is the one I would pick. I thought radiation would be a problem but in my case it wasn't and the six weeks flew by. I actually looked forward to meeting my new found acquaintances every morning who were so nice. Take care of yourself since the odds are, according to my doctor, it won't be breast cancer that gets you. It does give you a wake up call to enjoy life a little more for which I am grateful.

Theresa   April 7th, 2010 4:32 pm ET

Best of luck to Martina ....such a great athlete. I saw her on Gma this a.m. After the 1st shock of hearing she had cancer...it sounds as if she has a great attitude which certainly will help. My sister died of breast cancer @ the age of fifty. I still miss her to this day. It seems as if there have been great strides made since then. Women who have been diagnosed now seem to have a better chance @ living longer with positive lifesytles. My sister died in 1994 ...women didn't seem to have as good chances for survival then. My sister certainly had a great life even with the diagnosis. She continued to work, travelled. She always had a positive attitude. I admired her for the way she dealt with it. I think what helped her get through the bad days,the days of chemotherapy. She had the best support system. Great husband, son,mother ,sisters & most imp't.of all FRIENDS...many who also were going through chemo & radiation. I just wish she were still among the living.

NY Tennis Fan   April 7th, 2010 5:34 pm ET

Martina is a true champion.
She will beat this....and be back on the court some day.

lowhandy   April 7th, 2010 8:48 pm ET

i'll be praying for you.................good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbara Powers   April 7th, 2010 9:29 pm ET

It sounds as if we have both been in the same boat. I have a question, Did you have genneic testing to see if kemo would help?

Kathy   April 7th, 2010 9:40 pm ET

Martina, I was diagnosed withDCIS almost 9 years ago at the age of 40 and the mammogram is what found it for me. My mom had a mastectomy over 22 years ago due to breast cancer and she is now 72 and still with me. Just be sure to keep positive and that's half the battle. I'll be praying that your treatment goes well!!

Cindy   April 7th, 2010 9:46 pm ET

If anyone can beat this, Martina, you can. Just do what you need to do and you will be fine.

Sue R.   April 7th, 2010 10:40 pm ET

@ Kathy,, I agree with your message.Good luck to you and your mom also. I've battled breast cancer for many years,Chemo,surgery,radiation,oral meds.I'm feeling great,,,at peace with myself and maintain a positive attitude. Good luck to all of you.

Ann Anthony   April 8th, 2010 3:30 pm ET

Martina, I was surprised to hear your situation and pray for your speedy recovery. You have helped me more than you know. I am a water exercise instructor at the Biltmore hotel in Miami. After 2 lumpectomies Im having a double mastectomy soon! Just like you I exercise and eat very healthy but my father had cancer too. The Dr. that is doing my reconstruction told me she has sent women post surgery to my classes in the pool for years, small world! If you are ever in Miami, I would like to invite you to come to workout with me in the pool! Warm regards, Ann

DANA   April 8th, 2010 6:56 pm ET

yuo goona be OK. LOVE, DANA

Jeanie   April 8th, 2010 8:03 pm ET

Were, or are you a smoker?

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter