CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 6, 2010

Latest on the mine explosion in West Virginia – 25 dead

Posted: 08:02 AM ET

It could take up to two days to drill bore holes into a sprawling West Virginia coal mine, scene of a massive blast that left at least 25 miners dead, a mining official said Tuesday.

Bulldozers will be used to clear a path through the hills and bring in equipment to reach the affected part of the Upper Big Branch Mine, Kevin Stricklin of the U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration said.

The holes will be drilled 1,200 feet down to help ventilate the mine and collect samples. Rescue crews early Tuesday halted their efforts to reach four miners still unaccounted for, as concentrations of methane and carbon monoxide posed a safety risk, Stricklin said.

"I think it's a dire situation but I do think that it is a rescue operation and it will be that way until we confirm that these four additional people are not living," he said earlier. "I mean, there are miracles that go on."

"Basically all we have left," Stricklin said, "is hope."

*NOTE – We'll be discussing the latest on the mine explosion on tonight's LARRY KING LIVE – tune in at 9pmet!

Filed under: Breaking News • Larry King Live

Cindi   April 6th, 2010 10:07 am ET

Thank you for adding more air time concerning the mine explosion. I was very upset with the coverage that had been given on Monday night. It seemed that Tiger Woods mental and social status was more important than the lives of the coal miners and the families. I was shocked that CNN seemed to be oblivious that people had been killed and families were suffering. I thought," Have we became a cold, callous and uncaring people?" Today 25 miners have been confirmed dead. My love and prayers go out to each and everyone that have been touched by this tragedy. Yes, I am a West Virginian and I am a daughter of a coal miner. My heart is breaking, because I do know the families and the miners. These are proud, good and hard working people whom at a moments notice will help others in their time of need. Please take time to say a prayer, a prayer for the miners that are still missing and a prayer for the families to some how find peace and comfort in the coming days. May God hold each in the palm of his hand.

mary u from ohio   April 6th, 2010 12:24 pm ET

My Heart Goes out to the Families...

I hope there will be better regulations of safey for furture miners...

patti   April 6th, 2010 1:11 pm ET

what can the US Gov't do to insure that this doesn not happen again..?? Pls help these families..

A. Smith, Oregon   April 6th, 2010 2:53 pm ET

Thanks entirely to the new Democratic majority's in Congress and the US Senate, significant coal mining laws were recently passed which mandated emergency communication gear be in place along with rescue shelters to help provide miners trapped in a coal mine cave-in every chance for survival.

Unless the methane gas explosion was very large, the emergency communication gear should have still been intact. However reports early on indicate both the hard-line phones and the emergency radios were either damaged or not working.

I'm wondering if this mine had those emergency communication stations operating properly PRIOR to this mine explosion.

The US Govt. and its standards for safe mining is precisely what the Republican lawmakers as spokespersons for these greedy corporations yell and scream about in regards to Govt. interferance.

Without the US Govt. insisting on safety measures, these mines and many other greedy US Corporations would continue to operate in far more dangerous practices.

krash   April 6th, 2010 3:05 pm ET

prayers go out for the families of the deceased. may God be with the missing men in the explosion.

Dauda kalambi   April 6th, 2010 3:34 pm ET

May deir souls R I P

samer   April 6th, 2010 3:45 pm ET

my prayers are with the ppl wov been effectd .. n my heartiest support to the familes ....:(

Liz   April 6th, 2010 4:57 pm ET

May their soul rest in peace Amen.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter