CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 5, 2010

Woods says he's 'better person' after rehab

Posted: 05:00 PM ET

Augusta, Georgia (CNN) - In his first news conference since scandal broke, Tiger Woods said Monday that the six weeks he spent in rehab after admitting to infidelity changed him.

"I was in there for 45 days, and it was to take a hard look at myself - and I did," he told reporters at the Augusta National Golf Club as he prepares to return to golf at the Masters. "And I've come out better - certainly a much better person for it than I was going in."

Woods said he will continue therapy and also indicated that he hopes to woo back sponsors who have left him in droves.

"Do I understand why they dropped me? Of course," he said. "I've made a lot of mistakes in my life."

He added, "Hopefully, I can prove to the other companies going forward that I am a worthy investment, that I can help their company, help their company grow and represent them well. I felt like I was representing companies well in the past, but then again I wasn't doing it the right way because of what I was engaged in."

Woods did not answer when asked whether he had taken Ambien before the car crash in November that ultimately led to the world learning about his infidelity.

He simply said the police had investigated the case and fined him $166. "It's a closed case," he said.

Rumors that Woods had used the sleeping aid extensively arose after the crash.

He admitted he was nervous to play in a tournament again, saying, "I didn't know what to expect."

"I've done some things that are just horrible. And for the fans to really want to see me play golf again, that felt great it really did," he said.

Read more…

Filed under: Larry King Live • Tiger Woods

Rosina Taube   April 5th, 2010 6:01 pm ET

Typical man, always say their better. Let's see how he does back in the public eye. We'll see if his eyes roam again.

Theresa   April 5th, 2010 6:06 pm ET

Oh,Tiger...you're at theMaster's...your little home away from home.You're protected there. The Big Boys of the tournament won't let any of those ol' mean ie hecklers near you. Am I to understand correctly that it took 45 days in rehab to learn to appreciate your fans. I must say Tiger ...what a guy. I'll.see you here back @ the Master's in 2011 to see if rehab had any benefit. Have you thrown any clubs lately, uttered any profanity on the court,any women received text messages from the King. If you succeeded in not allowing any of that in your life...then I guess rehab did the trick!!!!

A. Smith, Oregon   April 5th, 2010 6:12 pm ET

Right and Dr. Suess is a outstanding doctor also.
What's next, Tiger Wood's writing children's books? You're a great Golfer Tiger Woods and a bad person in your relationship with your family. Get over yourself.

klara   April 5th, 2010 7:13 pm ET

Tiger Woods, was one of my heroes, untill he destoyed that image, His Persona life is in shambles, I feel very bad for his wife and children, Thank God they are still young to know.
I will look forward to watching him play Gulf, He is very good, to be honest I have not watached the game since the news came out about him, I was so disappointed, although I was not shocked, I said to my self, what else is new...........So Welcome back Tiger, and I hope your family life will be o.k after this disaster. I hope your wife will forgive you.

Eddie   April 5th, 2010 7:37 pm ET

Good for you TIGER!! Forget about the MARKET MAGAZINE WOMEN that can#t get over there own lost of love. You love your wife & family regardless! They don't know it because they're not loved...So they're just bitter babes that support each others wounds....Tell them to get a life and leave yours alone. Tell them to be the role models for their children....Tell them their parent should've raised them to look to them...Not you! Because you are a man! Man is not perfect......Tell them to count the divorced couples they know. To look in their family, and in the church. What you did NEVER meant you didn't love your wife & family....

Hugh in Carpenter   April 5th, 2010 10:50 pm ET

@ "Bitter" Eddie?
I'm beginning to sense a pattern here; you constantly seem to belittle a woman's point of view, and always side with the men, no matter how disgusting the men have behaved? Seems to me it's not these women who are bitter - it's you! I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some woman real put the screws to you, because it appears that way in so many ways. You should stop telling women in certain circles to get a life! Thank goodness most men need not be as bitter as you.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter