CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 5, 2010

LKL Web exclusive: Home cooking with Trisha Yearwood!

Posted: 03:21 PM ET

By Trisha Yearwood

Editor's note:  Country music star Trisha Yearwood's second cookbook, "Home Cooking With Trisha Yearwood," arrives in stores on Tuesday April 6, 2010.   Her previous release became a New York Times Bestseller for the family-friendly recipes compiled by Trisha, her mother Gwen and sister Beth.  Below, she shares her thoughts with the Larry King Live Blog on becoming an unlikely cookbook author.

An interesting thing happens when you step outside your comfort zone and try something unexpected.  Turns out, you become more "you" in the process.

My resume says country singer but, as my friends have always known, I like to cook.  I'm the cake lady when it comes to birthdays.  I love a good cook-out.  Recipes (both the successes and the disasters) are a recurring topic of  conversation.

But...did that make me a cookbook author?  Would the Yearwood family recipes and the small-town stories that go with them interest others?  In the same way anyone wonders when they tackle a new project...could I do it?

It felt like a risk worth taking.  So, with my mom, Gwen and my sister, Beth, I started to pull together the recipes, stories and helpful tips that we'd shared all our lives.  Through the process, we rediscovered our family history and enjoyed the good times all over again – something we needed after the loss of my father.  That project became "Georgia Cooking In An Oklahoma Kitchen" in 2008 and lo and behold...it ended up on the New York Times Bestseller List!

What we learned, as my mom, sister and I traveled to book stores around the country that spring, was that our way of life was shared by people in all parts of the country, not just the south.   People liked our family stories because they were their family stories.  They liked our recipes because they were easy to prepare and didn’t have a lot of fancy ingredients.

Ultimately, the process of self-discovery, the process of compiling our family stories and yes, the fact that I love to cook, did qualify me to become a cookbook author.

Its so funny – as a singer, I'm always looking for those simple, honest, straight to the heart songs.  That's what feels authentic for me to sing and that's what connects me to the audience.  It turns out that those same rules applied to this other endeavor.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think there'd be a "round two" – but the second cookbook, "Home Cooking With Trisha Yearwood," comes out this week.

Looking back, the "risk" turned out ok. But the real payoff came from the process itself.

Filed under: LKL Web Exclusive

andrew   April 5th, 2010 3:28 pm ET

is she still married to what's his name? Garth Brooks ?...the crumb..left his wife & 3 daughters...

Pat   April 5th, 2010 5:52 pm ET

Andrew, are you kidding? Garth Brooks is a full-time father to those daughters...and doing a great job by the way. They are all on great terms, and that includes Sandy and Trisha.

CHM   April 5th, 2010 6:22 pm ET

There are so many wonderful cooks who have great recipes but would never have a chance to publish a successful cookbook, simply because they are not celebrities.

jill yvonne   April 5th, 2010 6:35 pm ET

If I had an opportunity to publish a recipe book, it would be
A Chocolate book.
I love making chocolates for friends and family.
Dreams can turn into reality.But its so much easier when you
Are a celebrity.

wayne   April 5th, 2010 9:26 pm ET

You people are silly...yes she is a celebritie one of the best singers this world has to offer and she also happens to be a great cook so she has every right to put out a book...

Judy Knight   April 6th, 2010 12:40 am ET

I think that Trisha and Garth are two of the kindest, most real down to earth peope you will ever meet.
The girls are absolutely beautiful and have been raised so well.
Garth, has been committed to that, and just because he and Trisha are living a life of their own, as well, those girls come first to them, and to Sandy. Trisha has done a wonderful job with them also.
I think the first comment from Andrew is very rude!!!
I am excited to get the book, and I love the first one as well.
Trisha, thank you for sharing a part of your life with all of your fans. and the whole world. It really means alot!!!
Good Luck with everythng,

Judy

Ann Coleman   April 6th, 2010 4:54 am ET

I have the first cookbook and it's wonderful. I plan on getting this one too!

Best of luck with it, Trisha! Maybe the third one can be a singing cookbook!🙂

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   April 6th, 2010 5:50 am ET

Good on her. If people can benefit off her books, well then good. What's the problem. If the recipes are easy to follow and not too complicated, well then all the better. Thank you for this.

Why not show off your talents.......not only can she sing, but she is a great cook as well.........what a combination........she is blessed, I say.

Maggie   April 6th, 2010 12:20 pm ET

There is something about Trisha Yearwood that just draws you in.
Charisma, I guess. I also think Garth Brooks is one of the best country singers of all time. I did hear that he is a good father to his dtrs, and Trisha is a good stepmother too! I hope his ex is happy also.
Some people are just plain nasty. Suggesting the negative instead of the positive side of things. That's not me.
I say "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"

Kathy from NJ   April 6th, 2010 12:45 pm ET

Thank you Trisha for music that has had a major impact on my life and now sharing again your talents in the kitchen. The recipes that I have tried from her first book are easy to follow and the ingredients are affordable. The fact that this book was published with the concept of bringing families together to share a meal and each other should be celebrated. Larry please have Trisha come on your show as a guest.

Cory   April 6th, 2010 9:00 pm ET

Trisha is amazing, I love the cookbook and of course her music. The recepies are tasty, and so easy to follow that anyone can cook them
GREAT JOB!

Marianne   April 6th, 2010 9:24 pm ET

Trisha, Cant wait to hear you back out singing again.. but .. now back to food.. did I see that you have a pulled pork recipe in your book.. I lost mine when we moved and havent found a good one hoping yours is as great as the rest of your other food looks... best of luck.. not that you need it your the best.

Rhonda Scott   April 6th, 2010 9:48 pm ET

Trisha, I've loved you since you opened for Garth in Tallahassee, FL back in the mid 90's. I bought your first cookbook and have made many of the recipes (all good). Can't wait to get the second one too. Please keep singing and cooking! Your faithful fan always, Rhonda Scott, Tallahassee,FL

Mattie Yearwood   April 16th, 2010 11:41 am ET

I got your 1st cookbook and love it. Have tried several of the dishes.
Family loved them. Easy and simple to make.
I will be getting 2nd book soon.
My husband and I went to your concert at the Fox in Atlanta and had a great time. Hope you come back soon.
I think you are great. Love your singing. Have several of your CD.s

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter