CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

April 2, 2010

Rush Limbaugh, healthcare and idle threats

Posted: 10:00 PM ET

LA Times Op-Ed

As the battle over "Obamacare" was reaching fever pitch, Rush Limbaugh threatened to leave the United States if the healthcare bill passed. Well, the bill did pass, and he's still here.

This reminded me of the time one of my friends vowed to change his citizenship and move to Ireland if George W. Bush got reelected. Bush did get reelected, but my friend never left New Jersey. Neither did my friend who said she'd move to France if Bush won a second term. Bush got his second term, but my friend never once budged from her New York apartment.

Her vow to scoop up her marbles and pack it in, just like Mr. Limbaugh's histrionic vow to become an expatriate, fell into the broad, general category of the idle threat.

Ever since I was a child, I have abhorred idle threats. Real threats, like "I'll knock your teeth down your throat if you tell Sister John Laurentia who put the softball through the stained-glass image of St. Anthony of Padua," didn't bother me because they were graphic and implacable and let you know exactly where you stood.

Nor did I get all that upset when my mother would warn us that Dad would beat us when he got home. What upset us was when Dad didn't beat us when he got home. Now we had no way of knowing whether he had merely forgotten, or if he was using this delaying tactic as an additional measure in the reign of domestic terror he mistook for parenting. Either way, it added a level of uncertainty to our lives that we did not need.

If you were going to make a threat, you were honor-bound to go through with it. Otherwise, you were merely confusing the issue.

(READ MORE)

Filed under: Health Care

A. Smith, Oregon   April 2nd, 2010 10:17 pm ET

Here are the Corporate Giants that Rush Limbaugh and the Republican lawmakers have been protecting with the very lives of American citizens.

Another Terrible Blow against American Citizens by the Big Pharmaceutical dictatorship over American citizens.

After a very extensive investigation on the huge Pharmaceutical corporation of Pfizer regarding just one of their drugs, Bextra, they found rampant and extensive criminal activity's involving the highest members of that corporation and medical doctors who they enticed to promote one of their drugs 'Bextra' AFTER the FDA told Pfizer the drug was to dangerous for acute pain which is common after surgery.

NEARLY 1.7 BILLION dollars was generated in sales AFTER that ban TO doctors and patients for Acute Pain management after surgery. OF course many died, had strokes and heart attacks JUST as the FDA had previously warned Pfizer about and the very reason by the FDA had banned Pfizer from pushing 'Bextra' for that use.

Today, it was determined by the Feds that Pfizer was to large to charge and apply judicial crimes to what they had done!

Quite a shocker isn't that?

YES, Pfizer has a large number of popular drugs and if they were charged by the Feds, that entire company would then be BANNED from any further Medicare-Medicaid funds being paid to them by the US Govt. In other words, if charged (and found guilty) that would have entirely shut down that entire Big Pharmaceutical corporation.

SO, How many patients DIED? What the HELL were those 'medical doctors' thinking when they were paid by Pfizer to push 'Bextra' on their post operative patients KNOWING the FDA had banned 'Bextra' from being used for Acute Pain management because of DEATH, STROKES and Heart Attacks?

Shouldn't those Medical Doctors whose patients died after being given 'Bextra' for acute pain management be charged with involuntary manslaughter? It appears they clearly meet the description of that crime.

The AMA OWNs part of the Judicial System and a great many Republican lawmakers so that likely would never be allowed in a US Court!!!

Wall Street Bankers, Hedge-fund Managers to big to fail and ABOVE the LAW, now Big Pharmaceuticals is above the LAW.

That is Crap pure and simple! The US Justice System is Corrupt and getting worse everyday against the very people those public servants have sworn to protect and work for.

Hugh in California   April 2nd, 2010 10:29 pm ET

The fact that Rush Limbaugh did not leave the country as he had promised only proves the obvious, besides being a lying extremist hate spewing jerk - among other things - he is all mouth!

lexi9650   April 2nd, 2010 10:43 pm ET

toodle-lou!!! Meaning don't let the door hit you in the hinney on the way out!

meret   April 3rd, 2010 12:16 am ET

Just goes to show that you can get a girl's hopes up and then dash them. I was hoping Rush would catch the first thing moving and leave us in peace.

george   April 3rd, 2010 9:18 am ET

Jay Leno has him on his then 10 pm show..we turned it off....

Max Lawson   April 3rd, 2010 10:50 am ET

Nobody cares if Rush Limbaugh leaves the United States, so what if he does. Limbaugh only cares about Limbaugh, he has the best health care in the world, he doesn't care about the American Public only his own agenda. Rush Limbaugh is a Puppet for the Rep. Party. I'm tired of hearing him, Bortz, Hannity and that other joker talking trash about our great President, Mr. Obama. Obama's doing a great job with the mess he received, at lease he's trying. Limbaugh, when the going gets ruff, then the tough, gets going, So Get Going! I'll even buy you the airline ticket. Bye!!

David Barker   April 3rd, 2010 11:29 am ET

I am appalled by the accusation that all men are hard-wired to cheat on their spouses if they had the chance. I have been married for 17 years. I am 60 years old. I have “found the wallet” numerous times. I have declined every time. Why? Because my love for my wife and my commitment to my vows mean more to me than any one night, or more, stand. I take offence to that statement and I do not doubt that there are thousand more men who feel the same way.

My former wife was a “wallet”. She made herself available to anyone. During the four years we were together I never cheated even though I knew what she was doing. I believe she was hard wired for extramarital sex and that wiring was the result of her life up to the point we were married.

I feel that I and all the men that comment was directed to receive an apology.

I do not know what percentage of men cheat. I do not know what percentage of women cheat. But I’ll bet the figures are not that far apart.

eJay   April 3rd, 2010 11:30 am ET

Rush is the biggest liar on radio, only fools would listen and believe him.

IKHAN   April 3rd, 2010 1:51 pm ET

Hi Larry,

its just a waste of time talking about a brainless no body like Rush Limbaugh all one can do is pity him & those who pick up the 'pearls of wisdom' dropped from his mouth slithered in the saliva of ignarance & bigotry.

@luckybee.
What a lot of non sense as usual. This writer doesn't even have a clue to his own faith & he tries to mislead others with his 'authoritative discourses' on other faiths. These are exactly the kind of people, Larry who wittingly or out of pure ignorance spread hatred around. He also should better go back to school.
Those who call Obama Muslim are just trying to sow seeds of mistrust & animosity in the minds of those poor folks who would just be suspicious of anyone not following their own brand of faith & doesn't look like them.
God help us be safe from such kind.

sherry   April 3rd, 2010 9:04 pm ET

this is another guy that I can't figure out what he does for a living.

Jeannie C.   April 4th, 2010 1:36 am ET

@ David Barker

Thank you David !

Ive been married for 23 years and my husband is 62. His love – and passion – for me has not changed one bit. I believe there are many, many, smart and sexy men out there who feel the same way for their wives.

luckybee   April 5th, 2010 12:40 am ET

He is our supreem comander and not Barack Hussein Obama.

De opdracht aan de discipelen (Assignement to the diciples)
16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
teach...: or, make disciples, or, Christians of all nations
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

He is without doubt our Supreem comander.

luckybee   April 5th, 2010 12:47 am ET

IKHAN wrote :"Though for his info if he has the ability to read I would suggest for him reading Hindu authors or greats like Mahatma Gandhi & K.S.RamaKrishan Rao, Jewish authors like Jules Messerman, Christian scholars & literary giants like Thomas Carlyle, Washington Irving,George Bernard Shaw, James Michener & scores others who researched & wrote about the faith he discusses in his post & their Prophet.
I have read the Mahabharata,the Ramayana; but lieers like Mahatma Gandhi , Jawaharlal Nehru, and Indira Gandhi from the Centrum party, who have tried to hide what was happened in India, between the Moslims and Hindu's, their books is not worth reading.
What the Ramayana concerns ,I think, it was the beginning of the invasion of Hindu's in Srilanka.

Demond   April 5th, 2010 12:30 pm ET

Why would Mr. Limbaugh go to Costa Rica to recieve medical care if he is against government run healthcare? Costa Rica has government run health care. I dont see the point. Or does he think that american doctors are not up to par with Costa Rican doctors? Or maybe it is because he cannot get any more drugs to feed his habit here in the U.S.

Ted   April 5th, 2010 1:24 pm ET

luckybee was born in Indonesia during the dutch rule and probably was raised in a missionary school where they filled his head with all that garbage he is spouting.
In my opinion he had a few shots of fire water, very much forbiden by the calvinist superreligion, before he writes all that nonsense without any coherence to any of the subjects discussed on LKL.

Father, please forgive him, because he doesn´t know what he is doing!!

Hugh in California   April 5th, 2010 1:58 pm ET

luckybee,
You Bee Crazy!😯

frances   April 5th, 2010 3:24 pm ET

Me thinks his childhood was all screwed up,,excuse the expression..something went awry way bk when ...

luckybee   April 5th, 2010 11:44 pm ET

Dear Ted it is the vather, en the sun and the holly ghost, that gives me the inspiration, of all my thinking, He show me where all the things I have said, are written, in the Bible.
Yes I was born in East Indie's juring the dutch rule;but we are still Calvinists, and our motto was :"No one is above the others.That mean we didn't agree with the dutch Gouverneurs, to collonice East Indies.It has never happened, in the time when the Calvinist are in charge (VOC).East Indies was a collony when Holland become a kingdom,after the defeat of Napoleon, and we have to share the power with the Katholieks , actualy our traitors, they have sold us to the Frans.(Bataafse Republiek).

to mr. IKHAN. It is the biggest joke to call India as the biggest demokratie in the world;a democratie can only functioned is evrybody is equal to the other.And that is not the case in India; because of the Kastensysteem, that still exist in India.

luckybee   April 9th, 2010 3:17 pm ET

correction:"It is the father and the son and the holly spirrit; who has given me the inspiration.

luckybee   April 9th, 2010 3:27 pm ET

I will not delete my subscription I am not yet finished with Mr IKHAN.The mogool descendant.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter