CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 29, 2010

David Frum: So What Happened?

Posted: 02:07 PM ET

NOTE: DAVID FRUM WILL BE OUR GUEST ON LKL TONIGHT AND WILL DISCUSS, AMONG OTHER THINGS, HIS DISMISSAL FROM AEI, WHICH IS THE AMERICAN ENTERPRISE INSTITUTE FOR PUBLIC POLICY RESEARCH, FOLLOWING HIS CRITICISM OF GOP HEALTH CARE STRATEGY.

After my dismissal from AEI Thursday, I posted in this space my letter of resignation. I declined television interviews, but I did speak to print journalists about the basic facts, in a way that expressed respect for AEI and its leadership.

I spent most of today flying from Washington to San Francisco and emerged from the plane to a fierce counter-attack, including an especially unpleasant piece from Charles Murray.

Let me respond here to some specific issues in this matter.

1) Was the firing political? Obviously I cannot enter into people’s minds, and at my termination lunch AEI President Arthur Brooks insisted that politics had nothing to do with the decision. So let’s just follow the time line. Waterloo piece is posted Sunday March 22. Wall Street Journal editorial denouncing me appears March 23. Summons to lunch arrives mid-morning of March 23. At lunch I am told that AEI wishes to terminate my salary, office, benefits, and research assistance. I am however at liberty to continue to consider myself part of the AEI family. I declined that offer and wrote a letter of resignation.

(READ MORE)

Filed under: Politics is King

MsNomerNAzona   March 29th, 2010 2:37 pm ET

The voters cannot sleep on the issues currently facing Americans. Let us demonstrate with our votes that we as Americans Not partisans are fed up with the direction of the republican party. It has become a characture of itself and has been hijacked by the lunatic fringe. I wish they would just go away. I understand that like the show "I love New York" or "Rock of Love" the republican party antics (all of it) makes for good television but come on.....let's get real people...is this what we as Americans want to be known for? Lack of intelligence, lack of common sense and lack of unity? I don't think so.

IKHAN   March 29th, 2010 3:33 pm ET

Hi Larry,

We Americans do need to wake & take stock of where the dirty antics of the Repub party & the extreme fringes they are trying to court, would take this country.
Come elections & we have to show that America belongs to us the American people, boot out all those elected officials & representatives who have been playing us for fools. Of late we had become complacent, perhaps tied up in our financial woes to notice.
Those Repubs on the Hill are simply working for the lobbies,big business & special interest obsessed only with making Obama admin fail. American people come first & that is what we the people have to make sure happens.

Rose   March 29th, 2010 6:29 pm ET

David Frum was a Fellow of the Conservative think tank: American Enterprise Institute and GW Bush's speech writer. A policy advisor to some senior Republicans, he coined the term "axis of evil" for GWB. He was fired for challenging certain Republican political tactics in opposing healthcare and other Democratic initiatives as "outrageous," "dangerous" and ineffective.

It was reported that: As Congress prepared to pass the 'Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act' in March 2010, Frum again criticized the Republican strategy of refusing to negotiate with President Obama and Congressional Democrats on health care reform, saying that it had resulted in the Republicans' "most crushing legislative defeat since the 1960s".

It's out-the-door for anyone who dares to challenge the Republicans' approach to this important issue. Too bad, as Frum is smart and articulate. I disagreed strongly with a number of his positions in the past, however I recognized his ability. Demagoguery and rabble rousing has replaced any semblence of intelligence in the Republican party.

Now they got rid of David Frum. After listening to him speak one can't help but acknowledge that his approach is the antithesis of Palin. Again, brains out the door in favor of the very 'lowest' and very 'common' denominator for the GOP.

kathleen   March 30th, 2010 12:44 am ET

Hi Larry,

It is about time just "someone" from the Republican Party spoke up and said, That he was afraid the HCR could possibly be Republicans Waterloo. It got exciting when Mr. Frum announced that. He is my Hero. Sorry he lost his job, but I think it (truly) his lucky day. Frum don't need them. He can be anything he wants because when a person like Mr. Frum states the truth as he sees it, to the outrageous Rep. Party, he is a man who speaks what he feels. The organized Rep. Party don't like that. They remind me of Nazi's by telling the Party members what they have to think!!!! Frum didn't play their game.

I want to see more of Mr. Frum!!!!

kathleen   March 30th, 2010 12:59 am ET

No, the Republican Party cannot recover. Yes the American People have been thru a lot this last 1 1/2 years but who do you blame. This tumbling mess began for Obama when he first took office.

Mr. Paul Ryan and Marc Rubio talk down S.S. and Medicare and that scares people. Most of the Republican Party seem to feel the same way. That everything can be fixed if they just do away with entitlements. My question is, why, when starting a war and misspending our tax money do the Republicans always point at entitlements as the very first obstacle? When the American people see all of their salaries, retirements, pensions, and Health Care and leaving the people on the side of the road.

kathleen   March 30th, 2010 3:24 pm ET

The American Peope are suffering with wondering if our Country is
all for the Wealthy or should include Basic Health Care. The Health Care Bill should have definitely included a Public Option or a Single Payer! Most of what is in the bill that would "really" help the Middle Class to go bankrupt over a bad illness, while all the while working hard and losing your job because the Insurance Companies control who Business can keep (cherry picking) or who THEY CANNOT HIRE.

I am retired Middle Class Mother. If my children get sick or lose their jobs and possibly their homes, would I NOT sell everything to save their lives. MORE bankruptcies to come. WE WAIT FOR 2014.

The Democrats had the best chance to put the Public Option or single payer into the HCR Bill. WHY didn't they

kathleen   March 30th, 2010 10:13 pm ET

Larry,

Here I am again. I think it would be a very interesting show if you would have Marc Rubio and Paul Ryan on at the same time so America, once and for all, can hear what two new Republicans think of the Medicare, Social Security, and entitlements programs, plus the new Health Care Reform Bill that just passed.

I like it OK but It REALLY did not go far enough, and helps the Crooked Insurance Companies too much!

Larry, please have these two guys on! We've heard from the Republican Party of old, now it would be an interesting show to have the young hunks on. Maybe you could invite Scott Brown too!

Mike from Calgary   April 13th, 2010 2:22 pm ET

David Frum's problem was that he was not a parrot at this Republican Think Tank, and that he actually gave thought to his positions. He is truly a citizen of the world, and does belong in a party of small thinkers, of closed minds and pusilanimous souls. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\kudos to David for sharing his message with the whole world as you visit China with the US State Department,

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter