CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 25, 2010

Obama signs executive order on abortion funding limits

Posted: 09:00 PM ET

Washington (CNN) - President Obama signed an executive order Wednesday ensuring that existing limits on the federal funding of abortion remain in place under the new health care reform law.

Unlike the signing of the health care bill Tuesday - which was conducted under the glare of television cameras - Wednesday's event was closed to the news media.

It was attended by Rep. Bart Stupak of Michigan and 12 other House Democrats opposed to abortion rights, without whose help the landmark overhaul bill would not have passed, political observers say.

The White House has said the executive order reaffirms abortion funding restrictions first enacted in 1977.

"While the legislation as written maintains current law, the executive order provides additional safeguards to ensure that the status quo is upheld and enforced, and that the health care legislation's restrictions against the public funding of abortions cannot be circumvented," the White House said previously.

Stupak said the order makes very clear that the current law applies to the new law.

"I have said from the start that my goal was to see health care pass while maintaining the principle of the sanctity of life," he said Tuesday.

(READ MORE)

Filed under: Health Care • President Obama

A. Smith, Oregon   March 25th, 2010 11:11 pm ET

And did the sky fall, Armageddon occur and mass abortions occur when President Obama signed the Health Care bill into Law? NO

Sadly, although the Democrats removed the Public Option from the Health Care bill as a compromise and conciliatory gesture to the Republican lawmakers, NOT ONE REPUBLICAN LAWMAKER voted in favor of the Health Care Bill. To hell with such compromises with the Republican lawmakers, Democratic Lawmakers should have included the Public Option as no Republican Lawmaker voted in favor of the Health Care bill anyway.

Donald L Allen   March 26th, 2010 2:35 am ET

Donald Lee Allen well you made the low Pass but look at all the trouble you was were is my man MCAIN I believe in hem you want to no How I no God told me that is how or I may say the little voice told me I can help sum one like him how no if you want sum one to help you must help them or maybe just here them out but I say to you can not IDOP what is not yours to ADOP I don't care what kind of Low you make if you try it you or Each for trouble I just first want to tell you so you no IM not along it world wide I was just kidding I GPO world wide but you no and I no IF you rely want to make friend it no way to make trouble with them right but MY info is not your,s to just take and do what you please you Fugger you think you or on top of the world but God is in charge no mater how it go,s and you sued Fugger if a man is glide of a crime than let god be the judge you can let hem spin time but if you judge him you may be as glide as him Let god be the Judge raid the weird even if you don,t sum how believe it maybe you or in the clear I see a serpent with his head cut off and that is just the way it is Be good don,t Ca's trouble just Ca's you no you can I can see my shadow or you on the side of A road to no were what or you doing what see what it mean to be in charge I no what you think but what can you do about it

Donald L Allen   March 26th, 2010 2:42 am ET

OBAMA don,t mess with me or there well be troble stop you gie from messing with me stop you junk it not funney Donald L Allen there is nuttion here way don,t it just stop it not funny

Donald L Allen   March 26th, 2010 2:43 am ET

now OBAMA it not funny your post to be Big now there not in the right mession with me I dont wan,t want no contick here you quit Donald L Allen stop

Donald L Allen   March 26th, 2010 3:14 am ET

OBAMA I want to no if you or gonna do the clone I ask four one Britney meffert we well rebel here and she well be better she well be stronger I think it can be Dunn I am IN love what or you gonna do four me that I can not do four you way can it not be Dun way well you tell me I no it not right but if you or gonna play god I want to see you in aching Donald L Allen shae is a butey quan I say to you what can you do four me that I can not do four you MY love

Donald L Allen   March 26th, 2010 3:22 am ET

A day is one time and a day the time four me to get my date on CNN is now well you go out with me Donald L Allen the girl that can not check a Cooke is my date we well go out now if I prove with thought a date I,M #1 she must go out with me you no I,M telling the true I all ways do you no how I AM and you no I,M up to no good But is that good or bad IF you say it is good you or right see you And I past you loose

Donald L Allen   March 26th, 2010 3:28 am ET

I ween you lose I ween see you OBAMA what is next I can keep My seeker can you what is a script and is it good or bad well it is bad weep you no what I do so you can do what you please with it is good ween you don't no what I,M doing so I can do what every one is doing they put there Paten on there work so you or no one else can take it and do just what every they please with it like a certified letter that I have of what you believe you or doing that you or not I got you OBAMA you did not do what you or claiming I no trust me you did not see you on the just side see you than Donald L Allen and I no you proble don,t care any way so on and than again sum see you

Donald L Allen   March 26th, 2010 7:54 am ET

you of all people sued no I can care less what you do I,M saying if or even if you say you or doing so it is only to serve a propos of no good and I tell you I well say what is important to me and the kind of life I must live because of you I,M tell you if the true don,t stand up in Cort than nutting well Way try do get a leader of crock to listen to you or any one I can go Mafia and what every you say to me back at you again and again once (# I denounce you I just want the true and watch what you say I not doing that you have Spence million on the low and just and you just or wanted more and what every I do you just or wanting more of it buy I still say the Def I want be judge by A made up Court no more say what you please but I no you been stoking me and four a long time and you Spence million on it Just remember I don,t care what you say remember me I,M a old man and I,V parable mad a few mastic but do you want to continue it I want it to be antes but it can be a fit if you don,t atento have it any other way you want stick me no more see what I mean I,M not you La ff of the day get it understand it you no how I am way don't you do summation that is wright way PS see you Donald A SEC is a lie just remember it and it been that way four a long time and I,M out to get the one,s like you how is braking the low so how can you make threat trade me and I don't trust you no way so on PS Donald L Allen see you on the down side

Donald L Allen   March 26th, 2010 7:59 am ET

PS I oppose you no mater what you do from here on out see you Obama I don,t get a trip to see the park yes the machine Lissa you may be what you get it we can go on from but if I do what I want to do to you it men a low cut see you mister OBAMA no mater how Big you or you or not above the low I don,t care how you or even if you or a president yes you OBAMA see you PS don,t play Big with me

Ted   March 26th, 2010 8:51 am ET

I am for family planning and the mother should be able to decide to have the child or not!
Health care should not pay for an abortion, because it is not an illness that has to be cured, it is a concious decision of a person who should also carry the cost. Exception; when the life or the health of the mother in in danger because of the pregnancy.
In case of incest and rape the insured group as whole should take care of the costs, but only if the father of the child cannot be found or is destitute and cannot pay.
If the mother is in good financial position, she should carry the costs herself, then sue the father of the child.

DR GARY   March 26th, 2010 9:25 am ET

Muslim Husain needs to be Impeached and Nancy Panokio removed. They care nothing about the American people or what we want. They have their own agenda. I believe their Communist and want to Bankrupt our American. Their both useless and worthless trash in my opinion. IMPEACH OBAMA.

Eddie   March 26th, 2010 9:37 am ET

WOW! From the look at these blogs every idiot can type with a sheet over his/her head!

Whats the big thing about abortion? Would you rather find a barrel full of dead babies in the gas station toilets, in alleys? Wanna find women with hangers stuck inside? Young girls bleeding to death in seedy hotels?

Somebody please call the authorities on these deranged persons "Donald A. Allen & Dr. Gary". Obviously they're mentally retarded and a threat to society. This behavior is more than just stupid....there' a sick mind in there.

eJay   March 26th, 2010 10:11 am ET

@ Dr. GARY, was that you in the movie, The shining.

Expat American   March 26th, 2010 1:00 pm ET

DR GARY March 26th, 2010 9:25 am ET
Muslim Husain....
----------
Dr. Gary, it looks like you typed your post, performed a cut/paste, took another snort of your whiskey, and fell face down on your keyboard.

I have many friends and colleagues who are Muslim and Muslim-American; all of whom can write and spell correctly.

This means that all of them and pretty much anyone else out there with at least a 3rd grade education are more intelligent than you.

al-Qaeda is not casing your Dairy Queen so rest peacefully tonight.

Hugh in California   March 26th, 2010 1:05 pm ET

You have one person repeating himself incoherently and another one, well doing the same thing! ROTFLMAO!

@eJay: Great response! All work and no play makes Dr. Gary a dull boy!

Cajazz76:24:8   March 26th, 2010 1:29 pm ET

@Jay
@Hugh

The only thing 'shining' about DR Gary is his bald head highlighting his 4X4 posterior.

BOBALONG   March 26th, 2010 1:31 pm ET

IMPEACH OBAMA IS WHAT AMERICA NEEDS. GOD SAVE OUR NATION.

IMPEACHOBAMA   March 26th, 2010 1:36 pm ET

IMPEACH OBAMA

BobAlong FLorida   March 26th, 2010 1:46 pm ET

Cajazz76:24:8   March 26th, 2010 2:05 pm ET

DR Gary

At least try to mask your illiteracy by consulting the proper references to correctly spell the President of the United States' name..to help you in the expression of your first amendment rights...Barak Hussein Obama..and by free choice he is not a muslim/moslem...another right of guarantee..but your free to criticize it...just like we do of your opinions...

A. Smith, Oregon   March 26th, 2010 3:26 pm ET

Bad News in Korea which could swiftly escalate into War

While it is extremely provocative for North Korea to threaten using and launching it's half dozen Nuclear Weapons on South Korea and the ten's of thousands of American Troops stationed in South Korea, that heated rhetoric by North Korea has been going on for many months.

However, today a South Korean naval warship was attacked and sunk in the disputed waters off North Korea today and some 60 South Korean sailors are reportedly missing. It sounds early on that the South Korean naval vessel hit a mine that blew a hole in the bottom of the ship which quickly sank.

The Bad News in the hotly contentious naval boundary's between North and South Korea's could easily spill over into further attacks and loss of life. With North Korea pushing as many provocative as it can, it is going to take a dedicated effort by America and China to help prevent this latest violence from escalating and engulfing the entire Korean Peninsula in War.

Gerald Jolly   March 26th, 2010 5:28 pm ET

@ Bob Along Florida. DR. HA! HA! HA! GARY

Tell me BOOBOO BOOBOO BOBALONG

Are you and Dr. Ha! Ha! Ha! Gary, lovers.

Did you attend the same school for illiterates.

BOOBOO BOBALONG, I think you've been drinking the shot an not the Orange Mix BOOBOO BOBALONG.

I hope you're not the result of some woman's ABORTION, are you??

Do you still cuddle up with your GATOR Every Night HU! HU!

Gerald Jolly   March 26th, 2010 5:30 pm ET

@ Donald L. Allen.

Spend a little time trying to learn how to spell and articulate what you want to say, then come back and visit with us, when you've completed your lessons.

Joe G. (Illinois)   March 26th, 2010 7:12 pm ET

Why doesn’t Obama sign another "Historical" bill into law
that eliminates All Current National Debt?

And another about Total Troops Withdraw from Iraq, Afghanistan?

And another about everybody in the world to like him
including the Republicans?

Is it because all of his “Historical Bill Signings” further show the truth about their real worth and the one who signed them?
What’s stopping him I ask!

BobAlong FLorida   March 27th, 2010 10:05 am ET

Sometimes you spell incorrectly on a Blog just to draw attention to what you have to say. It looks like it worked for Dr. Gary.

BobAlong FLorida   March 27th, 2010 10:09 am ET

They talk about all this historical stuff. But one good thing is going to come out of all this. We will not have to worry about another Democrat in office for a longggggggggg time.That will be, "GOOD HISTORY." (I misspelled long did you see it Jolly?

Dodie   March 28th, 2010 12:04 pm ET

@ BobAlong FLorida

March 26th, 2010 1:46 pm ET – You stated:
"Was sad to see that we are going to have to pay more tax because most of these having Abortion are all on Welfare. We will pay more now. Higher tax for Health Reform and for continued Welfare. It's always the Productive Americans who have to pay. We work and are functional."
----------–
I can see by this statement your anger towards welfare precipitants....which is very understandable'; however, your perceptions are inaccurate. Women on welfare, seldom if ever, have abortions because having more children promotes increase in income.

You seem to want to blame the Democrats for this Welfare issue. Then please explain under the Cheney/Bush admin, why Welfare was strong and thriving? If you want to blame someone for our country's degradation and deterioration, then I would recommend you start reading on the Cheney/Bush's trillions of dollars spent funding 2 wars over their 8 year reign! The true cause of our country being in this current predicament:

-Our banks were and are still out of control
-Our stock market was and is still out of control
-We were and still are fighting 2 wars for 8 years (now 9) and the funding for them is out of control (apx 6 trillion dollars)
-Our major corporations move overseas increasing the economy of other countries is out of control
-Lobbyists, derivatives, hedge funds are all out of control
-Huge corporations (ie. oil companies) that apparently have more influence on the operation of this country then the government is still out of control and dictating policy is still out of control.

Until we eradicate some of the above, we will continue to spiral down. So you may want to blame the Democrats for this mess; however, the toppling of this country started in 2000/2001.

Cheney/Bush Administration....... this is by no means a typing mistake!!

BobAlong FLorida   March 29th, 2010 10:33 pm ET

I HAVE ALWAYS SAID, BURN THE BUSH AND NOW IMPEACH OBAMA. THEY BOTH WERE AND ARE A DISGRACE TO OUR NATION. WE NEED TO UNLOAD BOTH DEMOCRAT AND REPUBLICAN PARTIES AND HAVE AN INDEPENDENT.

I'm right   March 30th, 2010 8:52 am ET

If you’re stupid enough to get pregnant, PAY FOR IT YOU YOURSELF or let your parents pay for it. Why should we the productive tax payers pay for you screwing around. Obama is just that stupid to give our money away. It’s all part of the Generational Welfare Mentality. People who really need it can’t get it many times because of all the Generational Dirt Bags who get it. This Administration can’t track the trillions or demands on it but a school cafeteria has to give an account for every little slice of cheese, carton of milk etc. A kid has to take the whole lunch even if they don’t want it. Then throw out what they don’t want. The school can loose Federal Funding if they are caught giving the item to another kid. But this Administration doesn’t have enough brains to demand that the CEO’s AND their boards be fired in order to get them money. Something is wrong with that picture. What is it? Bush, Obama have the same agenda. Bankrupt America. Enough of the Republicans and Democrats. We need a good Independent.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter