CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 24, 2010

TV chef fights obesity one state at a time

Posted: 09:00 PM ET

WATCH SUPER CHEF JAMIE OLIVER ON LARRY KING LIVE THURSDAY @ 9PM ET!

LOS ANGELES (KABC) - Popular TV chef Jamie Oliver is on a mission to reduce obesity in America.

He's launching a new TV show called "Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution."

He'll be traveling across the country trying to convince skeptical Americans to change their eating habits, and showing them how to do so on a budget.

In the series premiere, he heads to Huntington, West Virginia, which has been called the unhealthiest city in America.

Oliver launched a similar show in England, which resulted in schools completely overhauling their lunch menus.

Filed under: Health • Larry King Live

vitoria   March 24th, 2010 9:31 pm ET

finally a celebrity with not just a big heart but also great intention of sharing his experience with a much needed topic .
hopefully the big boys like MacDonald wont be a sponsor for this
show ,that would defeat the proposal of Jamie's mission
which will be very difficulty to start with !
Go Jamie go and tell the truth about the basics and the nature of a great meal is made with simple and clean ingredients .

Chere   March 24th, 2010 9:50 pm ET

Very admirable, Jamie. Keep up the good work.

Eddie   March 24th, 2010 11:43 pm ET

Jamie Oliver hooray!! I'm happy to hear he's doing it in America! I'm a big fan and everybody should be. You should check out his cook books or his dvd's. He's toured around in EUROPE like a super star to sold out houses with him on a stage with some ingredients and entertains as he cooks!! Healthy eating........His cooking has nothing to do with McDonalds anyway...BTW....Its the Americans that keep McDonalds serving unhealthy menus. In EUROPE they are so much healthier!! Veggie Burgers, more salads, and shrimps.......Jamie however is on another level all together.......

claudio   March 25th, 2010 12:43 am ET

Thanks Jamie Oliver. When I saw the segment on anderson 360 about the 12 yr old boy who was 250 lbs, I was quite shocked at the parenting. Im a father and I always try to promote vegetables in my daughters diet. How can this father let his son have a steak for lunch? seems a little careless to me, well because hes 250 lbs. I blame the parents for being LAZY on what their kids are eating and not promoting healthy food. Whats wrong with these parents today????

butterfly   March 25th, 2010 1:27 am ET

Wow, bring more guys on like Jamie Oliver and Michael Jackson who really CARE about the people in this world of ours. Thank you for helping to make a difference in others' lives.

Theresa   March 25th, 2010 3:06 am ET

The sad thing is before we educate the children...the parents need to be the students. I wonder what % in young families these days......either parent knows how to cook. Maybe cooking classes for parents should be mandatory!Nutrition should be @ the top of the list for children's health & well being.Do parents & children ever sit down @ the table for dinner these days. Too often children are eating their dinner in the car enroute to a class or athletic event !!!!!!

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   March 25th, 2010 5:17 am ET

Like Jamie's cooking shows. He's the man. He's real and so down-to earth too. In a class of his own.

Saw him on television recently about his cooking tours across America........and where he visited a Navajo Reservation. Found it very interesting.

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   March 25th, 2010 5:35 am ET

Good on Jamie for trying to do something about obesity.

Corie   March 25th, 2010 1:38 pm ET

Jamie –
Thanks for taking on a tough job. I am an aide at an elementary school with kids from varied socioeconomic backgrounds. I see what the kids eat for lunch everyday and it is truely sad. The lunch they serve at our school makes Huntington's lunch look fantastic. Not only isn't our bread fresh baked – it comes in cellophane.'

As a cancer survivor, I agree with The Cancer Project's (cancerproject.org) research that shows Americans are eating more than double the amount of protein they need. And that animal protein in particular increases cancer risk. Meanwhile the school's nutritionist and health teachers keep telling the kids to drink more milk and eat more meat. I feed my child organic fruits& vegetables, whole grains, lots of water and NO dairy. But when he hears the teachers and sees what the other kids are eating – he thinks I'M the nut. I plan to watch your show with him to give him a visual of what I've been saying all this time.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Solange Morrissette   March 25th, 2010 1:57 pm ET

I run three school lunch programs in Rhode Island where we have adopted RI Nutrition Requirements 2009. Our state standards exceed those of the USDA. Our kids are offered whole grain items, legumes and a variety of fruits and vegetables each day. We serve local produce when it is available. I encourage Larry and Jamie Oliver to come to RI, specifically I would invite them to one of my districts to see a success story of kids who are eating healthy!!!!!

kelly   March 25th, 2010 2:16 pm ET

I enjoy Jamie Oliver and appreciate the work he has done with kids. Teaching people to make healthy choices when cooking and eating, making it familiar and part of children's everyday experience is very important. Education while young is important.

Obese children (for the most part) shouldn't diet or think they have to diet. We as a society have to become less obsessed with size as an indicator for health and beauty. That is not usually the best indicator. The more accepting we are of different sizes and shapes, the less eating disorders our culture will have. Weight control comes through excersize, leading a happy and active life in general, and eating a balanced diet. Kids often are bored or anxious and use food to comfort themselves. Parents need to take more active role in their kids life and spend more time with their children (not eating). Go for walks, make a healthy dinner together, play frisbee and go for nature hikes as a family on weekends. This will go along way to promote a longtime healthy approach to life and reduce the number of health problems across the country.

Becky   March 26th, 2010 11:04 pm ET

Jamie,
I love what you are doing. I would invite you to come to Washington, IL
and see how the schools here are doing in feeding our children. I used to be on of those parents that were blind to the processed food lie. I woke up and now only fix real and mostly organic food. I am a cook at a daycare and am always trying to teach the kids and teachers how to eat properly. The problem is the same as the school system, Finance and fighting the nutritional guidelines. Help, I would love suggestions on how to make better food at cost efficient prices.
Thank you so much.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter