CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 22, 2010

Tiger Woods gives his first interview since Nov. crash

Posted: 08:24 AM ET

Tiger Woods said Sunday that he is focused on "living a life of amends" after "living the life of a lie" in one of his first interviews since a November car crash outside his home unleashed a media frenzy amid rumors of extramarital affairs.

The brief, five-minute interview on ESPN was one of two the professional golfer granted Sunday afternoon at the Isleworth golf club near his home outside Orlando, Florida. The Golf Channel simultaneously aired its similarly brief interview with Woods on Sunday night.

Woods credited inpatient and outpatient therapy for helping him start the process toward making amends.

"It was tough," he told ESPN's Tom Rinaldi of the therapy. "To look at yourself in a light that you never want to look at yourself, that's pretty brutal. ... I saw a person that I never thought I would ever become."

Woods said two of his lowest points in the past four months came when he had to tell his wife, Elin Woods, and his mother about his affairs.

"Those are the two people in my life who I'm closest to, and to say the things that I've done, truthfully to them, is ... honestly ... was ... very painful," he said.

Woods told The Golf Channel's Kelly Tilghman that his mentor and father, the late Earl Woods, "would be very disappointed in me."

"I wish I could have had his guidance through all of this," he told Tilghman. "Have him help straighten me up. I know he would have done it."

(read more)

Filed under: Tiger Woods

Stacey   March 22nd, 2010 8:42 am ET

Oh my God!!!!!!!! Get over it already... He cheated, he crashed his car, and he is going back to golf... Why is it that important, when there are so many other much much important things going on in this world...

Apple   March 22nd, 2010 9:11 am ET

How he crashed his truck is private because Elin chased and whacked him with the club.

Tiger need to stop acting as if his mother is still in control of his life. He is still projecting himself to be a good boy who just made an error. Sort of like a train derailing for the first time because the driver looked away.

Tiger has finally realised that he is just a typical black seedy guy with a high sex drive! Admit it and stop trying to be someone from another planet or race that is so rare.

Elin knew that Tiger was no saint. He will cheat agin but when all this dies. It is in his veins.

Leave Tiger to live his life. How different is John Edwards and the others? At least he did not cheat with a guy or molest babies!

Apple   March 22nd, 2010 9:12 am ET

Tiger need to stop acting as if his mother is still in control of his life.

At least he did not cheat with a guy or molest babies!

Judie   March 22nd, 2010 9:18 am ET

@Stacey,
I agree with you.

Once a cheater always a cheater,his game is OVER!

CHM   March 22nd, 2010 1:41 pm ET

Good for Tiger; keep the comments brief and get back to golf. Good luck at the Masters.

Shirley Payne   March 22nd, 2010 4:22 pm ET

I have read that Earl Woods also cheated on his wife. I think his son is aware of this. So, what kind of role model is Tiger Woods' father?

AMADO VILLANUEVA   March 22nd, 2010 5:15 pm ET

I wish wome one would check four generations back of every one that has done what Woods has done you would be amazed at would you would fine: clinton Henry cisneros of san antonio Edwards im s sure you could think of many more let start with King david: what happened to him and his family: these men have become one with ever women they had sex with this men will never be the same Oh but their is an answer.

Theresa   March 22nd, 2010 7:46 pm ET

Are these short interviews supposed to improve his image.? This man isn't used to anynegative press.....guess what you finally realized you're only human & you don't deserve any better treatment than anyone else who is disloyal to his wife & family.No,noone will kiss your feet @ the Masters. I hope you're treated just like any of your fellow golfers. They're reserving that pedestal for someone who's worthy of it!!

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   March 23rd, 2010 7:33 am ET

@Apple March 22nd, 2010 9:11 am ET

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bit of a harsh judgement you make on a race here, I think. Tiger is half black by the way, his mother is from Thailand (Asian).

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   March 23rd, 2010 7:39 am ET

Leave Tiger to get on with his life and hopefully make amends. Amen!

Donald L Allen   March 23rd, 2010 9:11 am ET

well I look at it Like this if you do have more right than me more power to you but you well not get no sport from me by the way you want any way your just a nutter crock right yes OBAMA I am talking to you don't you no it you mite foul the world but you don,t foul me and I no way you wanted to pas the bill so bad Ca's you wanted to invade on or privacy and By the way if you think you well take something that is mind I just gonna say you Haft to kill me first and what every you say to me back at you the people is not on your side I no trust me they no what the hell you or PS have a good life be a the only thing you no how to be L if don't have nutting good to say just be quit

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter