CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 22, 2010

Michael Moore: How We Saved the Health Care Bill

Posted: 05:32 PM ET

NOTE: Michael Moore will be our guest tonight on LKL reacting to the passage of the health care bill.  In the letter below, from MichaelMoore.com, Moore discusses his role in changing a key vote on the legislation.

Friends,

Well, our full court press on my congressman, Bart Stupak worked! Hundreds of my neighbors here in his Michigan district spent the weekend organizing thousands of voters to get busy and save the health care bill. We called Stupak's congressional office non-stop and we got thousands of people up here to flood his email box.

And then a rare thing happened: An elected representative did what the people told him to do. It was nothing short of amazing.

Stupak, and his seven "right to life" Democrats who had said they would vote against the bill, reversed themselves after what Stupak said Sunday afternoon was a week of his staff having "really taken a pounding." Hey, all we did here in northern Michigan was let him know that we would be unceremoniously tossing him out of Congress in this August's Democratic primary. One of our group announced she would oppose him in the Dem primary. That seemed to register with him.

All of this made Stupak look pretty worn down at his press conference yesterday, pleading with people like us to stop calling his house and waking his wife "at two or three in the morning." Hey! That's not us. We never call during Carson Daly!

Obama needed 216 votes in the House last night - and he barely got them (219 was the final number). Had Stupak not done a 180 in the last 24 hours, the health care bill would have gone down in flames. Thank you, to all of you here in northern Michigan who did what had to be done. You and you alone saved this bill in the final moments.

Stupak stood on the floor of the House last night and, in a surreal moment, spoke against the "Stupak Amendment"! Once he got through his medieval meanderings about where babies come from, he gave one helluva speech.

And, that's when Republican congressman Randy Neugebauer of Texas shouted out: "Baby killer!" Wow. I guess the fertilized egg police felt betrayed by Bart.

Those of us here in Michigan will now decide what to do about our misguided congressman. We're a forgiving lot, but maybe not this time. We shall see.

Bart, I'm glad you discovered you didn't have a uterus. And, like the scarecrow, I'm glad you found a bit of your brain.

A good night it was - important little steps were taken to bring our country into the civilized world.

Now, we have some real work to do if we really want to say we have universal health care. The sharks who run the insurance companies have every intention of turning this lemon into some very profitable lemonade.

Yours,
Michael Moore

Filed under: Health Care • Michael Moore

Joe G. (Illinois)   March 22nd, 2010 6:09 pm ET

“Such as.” That my comment.

Anonymous in Arizona   March 22nd, 2010 6:38 pm ET

i am trying to understand how this bill will really help americans. I am skeptical. somehow I am thinking it will help the insurance companies only. Just like the bail outs never helped any americans...only the rich corporatons....what is happening to our country? We are losing it fast.

IKHAN   March 22nd, 2010 6:47 pm ET

Hi Larry,

Well Mr. Michael Moore.We get heartened when you stand up to those who are taking this country away from Americans.
Pl keep up the good work & let them have some more of your wallops.

By the way Larry, has CNN heard about 'The Jewish Voices for Peace'? An organization of God fearing courageous & up standing Jews who are trying to let the law makers & American people know what truly the Israeli govt is up to & how our blind support for their govt is a disservice to both Israel & America. Unfortunately the lobbies are doing everything in their power to silence these voices.
Its time that CNN lets America hear.
Perhaps Michael Moore could help out.

Jim Carroll   March 22nd, 2010 6:49 pm ET

MICHAEL MOORE IS ON THE RIGHT TRACK. I DO WISH HE WOULD GO TO THE INTERNETFREEPRESS AND PROMOTE THE FIVE
FINGER AGENDA.
SUPER GREAT PRESIDENT OBAMA
SHAME ON REPUBLICANS FOR VOTING NO ON HEALTH-CARE.
ALL WE WILL HAVE TO DO IS LOOK FOR THE (R) BEFORE YOUR NAME. WE WILL DEFEAT YOU IN NOVEMBER 2010. READ MORE
AT INTERNETFREEPRESS. WE WILL BREAK AN OFF YEAR ELECTION
BY ELECTING MORE DEMOCRATS IN NOVEMBER.

Juli in USA   March 22nd, 2010 7:13 pm ET

I agree with Michael...GREAT DAY for AMERICANS!!! I am proud of the Dems who stood strong with our President!!! NEVER again will parents seeking help for their children be denied coverage as we were...after paying for our healthcare insurance premiem for YEARS, we were DENIED...WHAT A SLAP IN THE FACE!!! That was almost 10 years ago...we paid for important healthcare services out of pocket, ended up selling our home to relocate to a lower cost of living area...pinched pennies, did what ever we had to to get our kids treatment...It was an EMOTIONAL evening for our family, watching the process unfold...my kids 11-15 were appalled at the Republicans behavior...my 13 year old, who has Aspbergers looked at me, and said, "Mom, I am so glad your a Democrat!" ME TOO!!!

DR GARY   March 22nd, 2010 8:44 pm ET

GO MICHAEL. YOU'VE GOT OUR EAR. KICK BUTT.
The majority of the democraps (I did spell it right.) took a major step as one commentator said, “shereading the Construction.” Muslim, Husain said in his speech to the nation. “We proved that we are still a people capable of doing big things and tacking big challenges.” Muslim Husain left out one line, “and moving closer toward destroying America’s foundation., I put Husain and Panokio (oops, Pelosi) on the same level as Hitler and Castro. Same mentality and moving toward the same direction. They do not care about what the Americans want. Those are BIG DEMONS that they operate under. THINK ABOUT THIS. IF THE Health Care Reform plan IS SO great, WHY DOES IT EXEMPT, Michelle, Congress, Senators and their families? See PAGE 114 LINE 22. IN MOST CASES, it’s going to be the same people who have no health care FOR GENERATIONS. YOU CAN’T DRAIN BLOOD OUT OF A TURNIP. Most are, “GENERATIONAL WELFARE FAMILIES.” THEY’LL BE PUMPING OUT MORE BABIES BY THE MULTITUDE AND WE’LL PAY FOR THEIR ABORTIONS. The Grandma’s will get board. They won’t be raising them while they go out to reproduce. (Meow) The Middle Class Americans will be taxed eventually to pay. Muslim Husain needs to be Impeached and Nancy Panokio removed. THE ONE GOOD THING THAT WILL COME FORM THIS. It will be a long, long time before another democrap is elected as president. WE NEED AN INDEPENDENT. God’s Word says,

Dodie   March 22nd, 2010 8:57 pm ET

This is an extravaganza moment and history in the making. Finally the US has health care for all Americans. I am completely delighted for the millions that desperately needed this.

We still need to work on removing the Insurance companies and pharmaceuticals ‘ efforts in manipulating the health care bill. Just like a bunch of sharks… swimming around and around looking for a weakness…..

linda   March 22nd, 2010 9:03 pm ET

I live in the great country called `Canada!` here ive had two children,a hysterectomy,tubes tied,back surgery ,countless physio treatments and neck surgery too . i am getting prepared for surgeries, more back and neck surgeries in the near future! i am on disability ,so i get a check every month from my government . my husband had 3/4 of a lung removed when he was 8years old and broke his two hands/wrist two years ago for which he got first class medical attention and can now work again.but what you don't know is with all of this health crap we went through.we still have our paid home and a cottage .each a car and hubby loves his toys,ski-doo,4 wheeler,boat,etc..we don't lose the things we worked for here in Canada just because we were unlucky in health. Thank President Obama for the opportunity hes giving to all of you Americans.i love him because a lot of my family members live there in the USA. GOOD LUCK FOLKS!!

linda   March 22nd, 2010 9:18 pm ET

OH ITS ME AGAIN ,I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT IM JUST 48 YEARS OLD .SO HOPEFULLY MY LUCK WILL GET BETTER(HEALTH WISE) AS I GET OLDER,LOL

Kathy   March 22nd, 2010 9:31 pm ET

I feel this is an absolute waste. All they were worried about was abortion, they should have been more concerned about how us little people are gonna pay for this.

Rand   March 22nd, 2010 10:38 pm ET

So far, I've seen two signs, the hospitals are glad, and the stock market rose. I think its a great point that people are still seen whether they have insurance or not. So part of the reason for getting insurance, is to ensure everyone has some sort of plan so we dont have to always pick up the tab for them. Well, I guess in a way, someone is still picking up the tab, its just spread more evenly across our society.

There was one other thing I considered. I have been wondering how the dems could raise any money since Bush put his tax cuts in place. Raising income tax would have been obviously unpopular.

So, the more I look at it, I see signs of many complex thoughts all combined.

I'm still concerned there will be an unnatural reaction to the plan. For instance, a small employer, even though it would benefit him, will fire employees simply because he doesnt agree on a political basis.

Also, I wonder how the insurance companies will respond. I think they can still do what they want.

So, theres much unknown to me, but I guess if we all pay attention, we will learn some great lessons.

Its hard to find the truth these days with liars all around, or do we call that spin...or is it a matter of perception

regardless..the republicans have nothing to stand on...the people got them out of there for their performance an this is the result...so in the end they contributed to this more than anyone

balinda   March 23rd, 2010 1:13 am ET

Where was all this outrage when the Rep's were spending our kids future in not 1 but 2 wars of choice? How dare the Rep's say Dem's put us in the hole. 8yrs of Rep's and Bush ran this Country in the ditch,Now they want to blame the Dem's. Excuse me. The split this country started in 2000 when Bushs divided us and 8yrs later it's worse . Just one more thing to Thank the Bush family for, like Tiger Woods they just won't go away.

Luis B Rosario   March 23rd, 2010 2:32 am ET

@Larry King
Michael Moore is ugly but he seems crusading for the people
in every issue that affects the American people . He appears to
a be acting like a modern Robin Hood (without stealing from the
rich).

Luis B Rosario   March 23rd, 2010 2:39 am ET

Correction
Michael Moore appears to be a crusader acting on behalf of
the American people, apparently without seeking to be rewarded.
(A one person crusade against big business corrupted practices).

Donald L Allen   March 23rd, 2010 2:56 am ET

well I get what you say but the thing is the congress is most the time thinking only about what important to them and They don,t have the right to use the collective to take over what I call Business it all ways A joke on the real working people of the country and I don,t like four sum one to act like there trying to help ween what there doing is just to find out what I do and how they can take it if you man is so good than way don,t he help sum one in need way don't he give up all he is working four so he can help the country he asked us to give up all we work so hard to get no but instead he is doing what you dun he Com to north Carolina to stifle it like they all ways do and no he don't care about you or me he is doing what all sicker do it funny nun of you rely work four what you have achieved way don't you get a jug or set at a Des and see how hard it rely is I don,t think you rely no what I do you or like the rest you just no how to judge Donald L Allen PS and what do you no about what need to be dun well I don,t see that you rely dun anything to me but you no were I,M coming from and that is all I meant but you and I no what is yours is yours and what is mind belong to me it that plain understand it life and we must live by good judge,s hop you no what I meant I don't gauge you but I no the true from A lie and I,M no foul neater and My right is under fair that is ween there well be trouble if you don't think I,M OK ask Robert redford and I only hop the best four all people but first get to no sum one and than maybe you can talk about them see you later on Donald L Allen

David --NC   March 23rd, 2010 5:20 am ET

Michael Moore did little to get the health care bill passed. How many in the Congress even respect Moore? He can probabably recite a few times he has helped the poor and down trodden. It's all about self promotion, and money. He's just like the polititions he dispises. A few "select" talking points, and thats about all he is!! There seems to be no real sincerity to the man!! Maybe he has burned out all the talking points he has repeated a thousand times!! Crusader for the almighty, buck!!

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   March 23rd, 2010 8:01 am ET

Sounds like a miracle has happened. I hope so.

Marsha   March 25th, 2010 1:23 am ET

Michael Moore is a wonderful person who works to right things for the American public. Yes,even Republicans, if they would shut up long enough to listen. This week shows just kind of warmongers they are. All this violence and threats of doing harm–Yeah that is mighty Christian of them. The only reason the Republican Congress and Senate wants to continue this is because we are READY for George(Dubya) Bush and Dick Cheney to be punished for their War Crimes!

judge and jury   May 1st, 2010 11:41 pm ET

Mr moore,
tHE USA IS GOING BANKRUPT!! We are tired of paying all the free medical, schooling , and housing send them packing. If that bill comes to oregon I will make sure i am the first to sign it. sham on you for wanting us to ahve to keep putting up with this mess!!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter