CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 9, 2010

Rep. Massa - Charges and Counter Charges

Posted: 04:16 PM ET

Rep. Eric Massa will be our guest on LKL tonight.  Lots to talk about, including allegations he sexually harassed a male member of his staff.

By Jake Sherman
via Politico.com

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer says Rep. Eric Massa’s charge that he was pushed out of the House because of his opposition to the Democrats’ health care bill is “absurd” and “absolutely untrue.”

In a radio interview Sunday, Massa – a Democrat from New York – said that he’s the deciding vote on health care reform and suggested that Democratic leaders had orchestrated his departure from the House in order to get him out of the way.

“This administration and this House leadership have said, quote-unquote, they will stop at nothing to pass this health care bill, and now they’ve gotten rid of me and it will pass,” Massa said. “You connect the dots.”

Hoyer denied the charge in a session with reporters Tuesday morning.

Massa also attacked Rahm Emanuel during the radio interview, accusing the White House chief of staff of accosting him about President Barack Obama’s budget while both men were naked in the house gym.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs had harsh words for Massa Tuesday.

(READ MORE)

Filed under: Larry King Live • Politics is King

Don   March 9th, 2010 10:18 pm ET

Eric Mass is just another victim of the us government.

angela   March 9th, 2010 10:22 pm ET

Larry, this guy is clearly rattled, why are you presuming his guilt. He has answered legitamately and has some points here. We should be able to have discussions in Washington, clearly we are not able to any longer.

angela   March 9th, 2010 10:24 pm ET

LIke most Americans I would like to know exactly and specifically why these guys are against the health care bill? Why, what are the immediate consequences of this bill other than access to health care? Can anybody answer this question for the people.

Leslie   March 9th, 2010 10:25 pm ET

I'm not familiar with all the details, but Mr. Massa is coming across as very insincere. He's constantly blinking and keeping his eyes shut when he makes what he claims to be factual statements. To me this means his mouth is saying one thing while the truth is something else.

To me another politician playing the lying game.

SHELDON CRAWFORD   March 9th, 2010 10:25 pm ET

I AM AN INDEPENDENT VOTER, LARRY:

ASK FRM REP. MASSA WHY WOULD IT BE A CATASTROPHE IF THE DEMOCRATS USED RECONCILIATION WHEN THE REPUBLICANS HAVE DONE ITS 3 TIMES AS MUCH AS DEMOCRATS OVER THE LAST 15 YRS?????????? IS HE BITTER???

Lisa Guillen   March 9th, 2010 10:28 pm ET

I agree with Massa, when will the American people wake up! I don't want Obama's health care!! Obama and his people scare me. I am worried about the future of this country that my grandpa fought for in WWII.

Kay Espi   March 9th, 2010 10:39 pm ET

I feel lthat Rep. Massa is not being honest. There is much more to this than health care. Just like any scandal in D.C. the layers will keep being peeled until the truth is uncovered. And it will probably be ugly.

Rep. Massas appears to be completely delusional.

joe somma stamford ct   March 9th, 2010 10:43 pm ET

Cong Massa originally said he was leaving office because he was ill of cancer. Then, allegations of sexual impropriety emerged; now he claims he's being forced out because he's against the president's health care bill. What is true here. He claims he won't
reveal he is homosexual. A man of integrity should not quit if he sticks to his ideals. There must be more to this story.
Joe Somma
Stamford CT

Jamal   March 9th, 2010 10:47 pm ET

I heard Eric Massa's interview tonight and felt like he was being badgered and the same questions were being repeated over and over again. "Did you ever grope anyone on your staff?"..I don't even really know Eric Massa but after I heard him a little bit and his history, it seems that he is a pretty good guy. He served his country for 24 years and then on congrress. Also, I've never seen Larry so persistent on a question. Also, Eric Massa who I found EXTREMELY genuine in character now has me skeptical of what is actually in the health care bill that the Democrats want to pass. Before this interview, I just believed in Democrats and wanted them to pass their health care bill so that a lot more uninsured Americans get insured. If a person like Eric Massa had objections, then I feel like something is wrong. But then again maybe I'm naive and I'm wrong. Only time will tell. By the way, I still love your interviews Larry.
Take care,
Jamal

Megan Bonafede   March 9th, 2010 10:57 pm ET

I am sickened by our society, our representatives, and the dirty game called politics. Eric Massa is clearly being railroaded, and it's painful and embarrassing. This country is deteriorating at an alarming rate, systematically being eroded and weakened by those we once trusted to represent us. How long will we sit back with our mouths' gaping, feeling powerless? When are we going to clean house and hold these fools accountable?

John H   March 9th, 2010 11:37 pm ET

I don't know Congressman Massa and have never heard of him until recently. Listening to his interview, in my opinion what he says does pass the smell test. His description of the differences between himself and Rham Emanuel are typical of what goes on once elected to office. President Obama needs to divest himself of Rham Emanuel's services and get someone who can contribute to an atmosphere of cooperation rather than confrontation. In my humble opinion, our system of government is clearly broken and will never be fixed as long as the Party Leadership of either Party can demand and enforce loyalty not to the people who elected him or her but rather to the powerful and entrenched Leaders of either Party. As it is now (a a few rare exceptions), it is impossible to be elected to public office unless you are affiliated with either the Republican or Democrat Parties. Once elected, you are quickly educated as to how things are done in Congress and the consequences should to decide to vote as those who elected you want you to vote but rather vote as you are told. Why should a Senator or a Congressman elected by the citizens of another state be able to force my representative to vote the Party Line or suffer severe consequences? If they have to have Majority Leaders or Minority Leaders, then they should simply be figureheads with no authority to dictate to anyone. The majority of elected representatives also must spend an inordinate time on the phone soliciting money for their next election or to support members of their own party who may be threatened with being voted out of office. This is while the people's business sits gathering dust in someone's inbox while they spend all their time trying to overcome the opposition's efforts to defeat whatever sacred cow they are currently supporting. The only way this will ever change, is when the system of seniority and powerbroking is eliminated but I'm not holding my breath.

Ted   March 10th, 2010 10:55 am ET

@ John H

You are more than correct, we have a very corrupt political system that trives on money!
Most, if not all, members of both chambers of the congress follow orders from the leaders of their party and couldn´t care less about the needs of their constituents.
They also very convienently change from one party to another if that guarantees their reelection, see senators Spectre and Lieberman.
They would probably sell their own mother if that brings something in cash or privileges.

As long as we continue to reelect the same bums to these positions nothing will change.
I am for limiting both chambers to two terms, as we do with our presidents, after that bring in fresh blood.
This may guarantee that alliances will not cement for 20,30 even 40 years, making a lot of little dictators who think they are the center of this world.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter