CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

March 1, 2010

Marie Osmond's son committed suicide, police say

Posted: 08:24 AM ET

The death of Marie Osmond's 18-year-old son has been classified as a suicide, police said Sunday.

A family spokesman on Saturday said that Michael Blosil had died.

Los Angeles Police Department spokeswoman Karen Rayner told CNN she could not release further information because the death is a Los Angeles County coroner's case. The coroner's office said the case was on "security hold" and nothing further would be released Sunday.

In a statement issued Saturday through a spokesman, Osmond said: "My family and I are devastated and in deep shock by the tragic loss of our dear Michael and ask that everyone respect our privacy during this difficult time."

Osmond's Web site describes her as "the proud mother of eight beautiful children who are always her greatest treasures."

Marie Osmond and her brotherĀ Donny hosted the national television variety show "The Donny & Marie Show" from 1976 to 1981.

Afterward, she had acting and singing careers. She recently competed in a season of "Dancing With the Stars."

In 2001, she wrote "Behind the Smile," about her experience with postpartum depression.

Filed under: Larry King Live • Marie Osmond

Judie   March 1st, 2010 8:33 am ET

Marie,
My prayers to you and your family during this difficult time.
Bless you Marie.

PROF Dave W. Dawson   March 1st, 2010 8:43 am ET

Should being in the shadow of such popular figures(& I mean really popular) as Marie & Donny Osmond have resulted in such a suicide?
Putting yourself under the wrong pressure is not the right thing to do.
Suicide was never an option, so why should anyone even consider it.
Was Marie aware of any peer pressure on her son?
It's only ever peer pressure that causes this kind of Human tragedy.
We can only reflect with you Marie because we really do love you.
Marie & Donny never ever listened to peer pressure & we know publically & privately how true this is.

pat davis   March 1st, 2010 9:48 am ET

This is sad. Marie Osmond has already sufferred from postpartum depression I can only imagine what this is going to do do her. This is a sad chain of events....God Bless Marie, her seven other children and the rest of the Osmond Family.

MourningMJ   March 1st, 2010 9:51 am ET

This is really a tragedy for the Osmond Family. They will never ever be the same. My hearts and prayers really do go out to this family.

God Bless the Osmonds

Chris   March 1st, 2010 9:51 am ET

Dear Marie, I am so sorry for your loss of your Son. I have been praying for you and your family.

Sandy-Houston   March 1st, 2010 10:02 am ET

So far into a deep dark depression that you would take your own life...

It is a reality and it is occuring at an alarming rate. Depression is a dark disease that has long been ignored and treated by our society as something one can just snap out of. It is real. But it can be treated and many live long, productive lives with depression.
Suicide is never the answer. Intense therapy and medication is. There is help. Pay attention to those around you. Look for signs.
It is tragic though that signs are sometimes hidden behind "happy faces" and lives slip through into that deep dark depression and the family is left asking why?

Carol Londres   March 1st, 2010 11:16 am ET

What was an 18 year old boy of a wealthy mother doing living alone? His mother knew he had problems when she was on DWTS, and wished to keep it private. So much for private. This 'child' should have been under medical attention. When so many people in the world struggle to live, whether caught up in acts of God, like earthquakes, etc., and fighting a disease, like cancer, to become aware of others taking lives they did not value, so easily, something surely is wrong withthis. I have always thought parents, teachers, therapists should help expose these depressed people through a cancer ward – a children's hospital, a burn unit, and educate them to what fighting for life is really like.

Dodie   March 1st, 2010 12:05 pm ET

What a tragedy for the entire Osmond's family. Nothing can be more painful than the loss of a child, especially due to suicide. Often parents blame themselves for this tragic fate. I hope Marie Osmond understands at some point that sometimes tragic events happen and there is no one to blame! My only hope it that we, the community, allow the family breathing room to grieve without the paparazzi on her door step, Larry King, that includes you and CNN.

Maria Copelli   March 1st, 2010 12:08 pm ET

Good Morning,to you All. Let me say this is tragedy beyond comprehension.I feel sometimes we get so down, we cant see a way to get up again.Are drugs the answer?More meds,more prescriptions?
In my life I have been depressed ,not very often,but what heped me was always a good friend sometimes a complete stranger that you just find yourself confiding in,because you realize this person has no preconceived knowledge about you,so he or she can help you freely,or be insightful,or just say the very thing that snaps you out of the deep dark hole we are in!But you have to be willing to just reach out ,and talk to someone,it really does work,I have done it at work ,and on buses and I love it when others feel comfortable confiding in me. we may not have the answers but we can do this ;'Be sensitive,gentle,understanding,patient,empathetic,if we can be .And call them go for awalk with them keep your word,to them.Hug them,a lot bring them them some flowers,a chocolate,go into a bakery together,it has been proven that we release endorphens,when we smell something baking bread cookies cakes whatever ,it is comforting!Get in the SUN! Try at least 15 mins,a day..make sure you are getting enough D vitamin,Surround your self with positive people,let go and live.We cant be afraid to reach out to a depressed soul,why even ants help each other up hills ,why cant we?This is why Wise King Solomon said 'Go see the ant'!
My heart and prayers go to Marie ,and the Entire Osmond family,I pray they will be strengthened to endure this ...pain.
Love to you all Maria C.

Connie ~ IL   March 1st, 2010 1:40 pm ET

Such sad news, bless Marie and her family. One will never know what others are going through, please be kind.

Callie   March 1st, 2010 2:04 pm ET

My Love and Heartfelt Compassion go out to the Osmand family at this time. May God's PEACE, that surpasses all understanding, His LOVE & COMPASSION, fill your hearts, minds, and spirits at this time. You are all in my Intercessory Prayers & Healing. For 24 hour prayer, call CBN Ministries (est. 1961) at 1-800-759-0700, or the anointed ORU prayer tower ( est.1945) at 1-918-495-7777. Perhaps these contact numbers will help others. Whether it be postpartum depression, bipolar disorder, depression, Autism, ADD, ADHD, and many other illnesses that are a result of a chemical imbalance in the brain, there is a non-invasive holistic way in which to address these illnesses..we all have the innate ability and power to heal ourselves.....go to aimprogram.com.... It's all for Love....L.O.V.E

lola   March 1st, 2010 2:05 pm ET

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem. There is no worse tragedy for a parent to endure. Hopefully Marie and her husband will find the strength in their 7 other beautiful children to go on. My prayers are with the entire Osmond family. Hindsight is 20/20...time to look to the future, not the past "could haves and would haves".

Cajazz76:24:8   March 1st, 2010 5:05 pm ET

@Dodie

Ditto to your dodism...

Rose   March 1st, 2010 5:45 pm ET

My sympathies to the entire Osmond family for this tragedy. I cannot imagine the pain of losing a child to suicide. Marie's son Michael -along with 4 other children – were adopted by her. In cases of adoption, do adoptive parents have access to the child's biological parents' medical history? I only ask this as depression and other related illnesses do run in families and may have helped with early diagnosis of children. This doesn't lessen their grief and I am truly sorry for the Osmonds' lose.

I hope the media will treat this family with compasion in their coverage and not exploit it further with sensationalized reporting as they have done with other deaths. Please show respect toward them at this very difficult time.

Jim Carroll   March 1st, 2010 7:24 pm ET

GET TOUGH, MR. PRESIDENT. TO HELL WITH THE DEVIL DAMN
DO NOTHING REPUBLICANS. PASS THE HEALTH-CARE BILL
BY HOOK OR CROOK. GET IT DONE! GET IT DONE! GET IT DONE!

PLEASE, CNN NEWS–NOW THAT YOU'VE HAD YOUR WEEK
ALONG WITH THE REPUBLICANS BASHING THE GOVERNMENT.
WHY NOT SPEND A WEEK POINTING OUT ALL THE GOOD THINGS
THE GOVERNMENT DOES? SEE LIST BELOW. JACK CAFFERTY'S BIG, ARROGANT MOUTH HAD NO SOLUTIONS AS PROMISED. HE IS JUST ANOTHER REPUBLICAN IDEOLOGY. HE ONLY READS COMMENTS FROM HIS BLOG THAT HIS STAFF WRITES TO REFLECT HIS OWN VIEWS. HE REFERS TO OTHERS AS CLOWNS; HE COULD APPLY THE SAME WORD TO HIMSELF. See list at internetfreepress.com

Maggie from Australia   March 1st, 2010 7:26 pm ET

Dear Marie please accept my deepest sympathy on the passing of your beloved son and to all the Osmond family.May he rest in peace.

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   March 1st, 2010 9:00 pm ET

Our deepest sympathies go out to the all the Osmond Family and the Koenig Family at their sad loss.

Yes, Depression is a hard thing to understand and deal with. You think that no-one can understand you. They themselves probably don't understand it all and it can be so hard to reach out.

May our Heavenly Father comfort them all at this sad time. God Bless.

Sad   March 1st, 2010 9:07 pm ET

It is really sad that the good die young and media professionals (who might as well call themselves "degreed-nosy bodies")...that's only if they even have a degree. I have realized that to become a journalist all you have to obtain is a master's degree in pushiness, torment, and as professional gossip king or queen. I have no respect for Larry King blind-siding Marie Osmond on her son's personal matters. It has saddened me that Oprah, Katie Couric, Matt Lauer, etc....are just a bunch of egotistical, hypocritical, "shine the spotlight on me" ugly on the inside and outside people, that have no empathy for anyone but themselves. Everyone has problems and "YES" more than all those people that I have mentioned above and yet they continue to disclose and embarrass people on a regular ratings high.

My prayers are with Marie and the entire Osmond family. They are so blessed to have the family that they do.

I believe that Larry King calling out Marie's son's personal situation on national television contributed to his worsening depression. But Larry King could care less because he is an old, old, old rich man. Like I said "only the good die young".

Hannah   March 1st, 2010 9:22 pm ET

@Carol Londres-well it certainly sounds as if you've never suffered from depression or known someone close to you that has. You sound like the person that would tell the depressed person-look@ you,you have everything,buck up. If that's what you would do you would be doing the exact thing that would exacerbate the problem. Marie Osmond's son was in rehab @ 1 time. Even if he had been living @ home he could have committed suicide @ home. You can't stay by any 18 yr. old person 24/7. I hope if you continue with that attitude you never have anyone close suffering from depression because you would just make matters worse!!!

DR GARY   March 1st, 2010 9:23 pm ET

Marie, our prayers to you and your family during this difficult time.
Bless you and your family. May God give you peace and comfort.

DR GARY   March 1st, 2010 9:23 pm ET

Marie, our prayers to you and your family during this difficult time.
Bless you and your family. May God give you peace and comfort.

Darcy   March 1st, 2010 9:37 pm ET

People who are suffering from clinical depression are @ such a low that many times they think everyone would be better off without them. They are @ such a low ,they think they're worthless,hate thamselves. So,if some people think touring them thro' a cancer ward will help-I beg to differ–it might help them go deeper into a depression. Many depressed people can put on a good front,work everyday without others realizing how ill they are. If you've never felt this low or have known anyone that has you're very fortunate but a reminder-please don't lecture the depressed person,listen,& be there for he/ she. Hopefully the person gets help before it's toolate. The depressed person is not thinking rationally.

Cindy   March 1st, 2010 9:37 pm ET

My condolences to both the Koenig family and the Osmond family. Their losses are equal and similar. Losing a child is the worse thing a parent can go through in life and life will forever be different. Both families are in my thoughts and prayers.

joni svihra   March 1st, 2010 10:55 pm ET

I have never in my life thought I would ever make a comment on a blog, etc. but I am furious at Jack Hannah and anyone involved in this horrible injustice to animals no, no, no it is not to learn it is to line their pockets with the lining of money and the hides of these animals that no matter what their fate is the fate of a higher power a creator not a man oh wow let us make a billon dollars to watch these creatures jump through hoops. Jump through hoops Jack and see who will pay to see what we can learn from what entertainment you can provide and animal "trainers" when you come back in a next life see if you would be happy as one of these animals. You are upsetting the law of nature clap people clap and hopefully you will be humiliated as you have humiliated God's creatures who are closer to God than human beings.

Carrie   March 2nd, 2010 12:08 am ET

I wish they would stop saying this was an adopted son of Marie's. This was her bio son, but her 2nd husband adopted him and gave him his last name. Both son and bio dad look so much alike.

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   March 2nd, 2010 12:50 am ET

@Carrie March 2nd, 2010 12:08 am ET

Yes, thanks for this. I thought he was Marie's adopted son too and not her biological son. Someone got the story mixed up it seems.

Eddie Cole   March 2nd, 2010 1:29 am ET

You never know whats on someone else's mind..My thoughts and prayers go to the family.

It doesn't matter if someone is adopted, a step parent, or whatever labels people want to choose. This was a family....who cares if it was biological or adopted....It was Marie's son!!!! Do you think she loved one more or less? Parents love their children..........its a sad & unfortunate loss.......

Phyllis   March 2nd, 2010 1:31 am ET

My heart breaks for Marie and her family and for all of the Osmonds. I'm so sorry for the loss of her son, especially in such a tragic way. Marie has been through so much pain in her life but has managed to come through them and continue to be our sweetheart as she always has been for over 30 years. This is quite a devastation and I hope that she can find the strength within herself and from her family and close friends to get through this. We are all thinking of you, Marie. Much love to you...

hideaki nagano   March 2nd, 2010 1:42 am ET

I think fickle,fate,

Vicki - New Boston, OH   March 2nd, 2010 4:32 pm ET

Dear Osmonds: Marie, my heart breaks for you, as a mother, you are not to bury your children. May God bless each of you as you deal with your grief over the loss of Michael. As for anyone who questions, that Marie should have had more control over him, or why he was alone when they knew he had depression – leave her alone. Michael was an adult. Marie made sure he had help and counseling. I do not care whether he was alone in LA or living under his mother's roof, when people get depressed, if they get to a point and commit suicide, they will find away. People need to embrace Marie and be there for her, not chastise her. She has always supported herself and her family,

Cherie   March 2nd, 2010 10:20 pm ET

Michael – From your hands to God's. Bless you and the family and all other families that have faced the death of a child The world mourns with you

Tiffany   March 3rd, 2010 2:23 pm ET

I cannot beleive the person who said expose them to a cancer ward,etc when they are depressed just the thing to send them over the edge. You cannot get better without the correct medicine. I got shot and went threw 6 years of therapy.It takes both u cannot help yourself and others cannot help u. I am fine now and have had a transplant, hip replacement,and liver problem.This didn't even phase me . But My daughter who was a valedictorian and he was a wonderful guy that went with her and went to church with us for four years. Needless to say we were shocked but he shot at the new boyfriend of my daughter and then shot me with a 45 hollow tip bullets. He had already let me go inside and was hid in our garage then let me go in the house,then shot at the new boyfriend and missed and followed him in the house and shot me on the way.This was so shocking and this was a kid that had nothing on his record.There is no solution except therapy and medicine.

Vitoria   March 3rd, 2010 10:23 pm ET

Dear Marie and family
I am so sorry for your pain and we are praying for the light to shine on your darkest hours of your lives .
You have to believe that your son choose the place where he wants to be even knowing that it shouldn't end this way ! My heart goes out for him and for you Marie !
God will help you to go through and he will give you strength to carry on .
with time you will learn that his decision has nothing to do with your unconditional love you gave him ,this has nothing to do with your capacity as a mother and care giver .
Marie through the years we watched you shine and we watched you struggled and also through the years we bounded with you as a entertainment and as a mother ,
we are all here praying for you ,your family and your beloved son that he will find peace in a place where no pain and struggles exist .
God loves you Marie .

How will you and your family ever forgive yourselves   March 8th, 2010 10:39 am ET

The idea of shunning, and 2 children identified as gay, what more can I say. Marie and family what have you done?

Eddie Cole   March 9th, 2010 6:41 pm ET

@How will you and your family ever forgive yourselves: You must be a complete idiot! Who are you? Some narrow minded fool? Or just another uneducated person that knows how to write....How dare you live & breath.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter