CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

February 24, 2010

Suprise: Obama Reportedly Planning 2012 Run

Posted: 03:21 PM ET

By Mike Allen
via Politico.com

President Barack Obama’s top advisers are quietly laying the groundwork for the 2012 reelection campaign, which is likely to be run out of Chicago and managed by White House deputy chief of staff Jim Messina, according to Democrats familiar with the discussions.

The planning for now consists entirely of private conversations, with Obama aides at all levels indulging occasionally in closed-door 2012 discussions while focusing ferociously on the midterm elections and health care reform, the Democratic sources said. “The gathering storm is the 2010 elections,” one top official said.

But the sources said Obama has given every sign of planning to run again and wants the next campaign to resemble the highly successful 2008 effort.

David Axelrod, White House senior adviser, may leave the West Wing to rejoin his family in Chicago and reprise his role as Obama’s muse, overseeing the campaign’s tone, themes, messages and advertising, the sources said.

(READ MORE)

Filed under: President Obama

Penny Donald L Allen   February 24th, 2010 3:51 pm ET

O I cant wait to see you go down you or a crock and you aren't auto help no one but your self you no how I am the question is how the heck you think you or or what Donald Allen and just remember Penny

A. Smith, Oregon   February 24th, 2010 4:20 pm ET

Given the massive collection of foobar left by the Bush-Cheney administration, it will certainly take at least two Democratic Presidental Administrations back to back to help return America into the nation it once was.

Lifting it from the deepest recession the nation has ever seen, wholesale unemployment, home foreclosures and job losses. Wholesale diplomatic disrespect for America and Americans around the world and two wars funded by American taxpayers and fueled by the blood of brave American soldiers is going to take more than a 4 term Democratic President to solve.

It is time for the Democratic majority's to show some courage and backbone and pass the laws and bills before them regardless if the Republican party obstructs, filibusters, yells, screams or protests. The previous Republican party passed massive laws and bills on the slimmest of majority's, 53 votes typically in the Senate's up or down vote (51 is needed). That means a full 8 Democratic Senators could defect and vote against their fellow Democratic Senators and the bill or law would STILL pass a Up or Down vote.

Expat American   February 24th, 2010 4:20 pm ET

Sarah Palin / Tila Tequila 2012

IKHAN   February 24th, 2010 4:58 pm ET

a nation disappointed after the blitz of promise of 'change' during Obama election turned into the same old of the same old.
People & ideology which became repugnant to us during Bush-Cheney rape of this hapless nation, continuing with this administration. The massive load of follies & felonies committed during the past era hanging heavy on Obama. A scandalous , inept GOP totally focused on making this administration fail. Democrats without a clue & without the backbone to drive thru this rubble – the scenario for an Obama return is bleak.
If these news are true than Obama & his advisers have a formidable uphill battle. They have to gear up and show some grit. An end to these two immoral wars draining us of blood & treasure, a kick in the back for lobbies, special interest groups & other parasites sticking to walls on Capitol Hill should be a beginning.

nardofree in virginia   February 24th, 2010 5:09 pm ET

we know that already!

nardofree in virginia   February 24th, 2010 5:14 pm ET

please no, if he wins, i don't know if i can take another 4 years of crying from the republicans! we still have a little less than 3 year left of them crying now!

AlphaPoe1   February 24th, 2010 5:55 pm ET

I want him to run, and I want him to WIN. I love President Obama, and he is the best president to inherit such a disaster and start turning it around in only 1 year. GO OBAMA!!!! You have my vote in 2012 and will do all I can to help you get re-elected. (I just dread listening to the whining, selfish, idiotic, and unpatriotic republicans when you win again, but at least Ding-a-ling Sarah Palin won't be in the White House. She can't see Russia from the White House anyway.)

Rose   February 24th, 2010 6:03 pm ET

Not-This-Lady in 2012!

Eliza Doolittle-Palin had her lessons with Henry Higgins-Team McCain. They dressed her up, gave her elocution lessons (new-clear not nuk-u-lar), took her to the UN where photo ops with heads of state did not improve her sadly lacking foreign policy credentials.

Now the ball is over and Palin did not pass (for the majority of Americans) as a credible candidate. Memorizing facts instead of actually understanding them, let alone synthesizing them, just doesn't cut it. But "just you wait" GOP, just you wait . . she could have "danced all night" at the Tea Party. The "rain in Spain" falls mainly on the Palin there. Just get her to the "church on time" and the religious right will continue to support her blindly. "With a bit of luck" she'll make more money.

Some have "grown accustomed to her face" – but not me and many other serious Americans. In her designer heels, she continues to throw slippers with her crib-noted hand. Her mis-education continues for this potential contender. (My apologies to Lerner & Loewe).

Rose   February 24th, 2010 6:32 pm ET

President Obama has been in office only 13 months. He has inherited a financial crisis of a magnitude not seen since the Great Depression, wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the ongoing threat of terrorism.

President John F. Kennedy had a difficult first year in office re: Bay of Pigs fiasco. He turned it around by demonstrating diplomatic and intelligent finesse when dealing with the Cuban missile crisis. He averted disaster – when his aggressive generals were pushing for war/attack. The Republicans' attempt to thwart any initiative by Obama displays their need to be in power is more important than cooperating toward achieving constructive goals for Americans.

All this outcry about the cost of health care. Where were they when their past Republican Administration racked up trillions of dollars in war? Where were they when Cheney's company charged the US government $50 (fifty dollars) "per load" for troops' laundry in Iraq? The sulking and whining by the GOP is not for the betterment of Americans, but on how to get into office for their own gain. They should help clean up the mess they orchestrated this past decade rather than opposing everything. President Obama in 2012.

Declan   February 24th, 2010 6:44 pm ET

It's never too late to start planning for re-election. However, a sizable number of chronically misinformed, pathologically suspicious, erroneously over-entitled, marginally civically involved, paradoxically unglobalized, and still racially unsettled Americans, will surely perceive this as selfish politics as usual. Perhaps it's time for the President to assume he will not be re-elected and in the same unapologetic fashion as the last administration, concentrate on passing the smart legislation and programs that he promised, as he fully envisions them, without regard to the political and public criticism that eventually dilutes them into rachitic semblances of what these could have been (ie health care). The current administration should focus on the substance of one four year term and hope that Americans will be smart enough at the end to realize that, despite any current misgiving, this president is the best we can possibly have–ever–and vote accordingly in 2012.

Joe G. (Illinois)   February 24th, 2010 7:23 pm ET

Obama’s worst enemy is Obama itself. Bring it on Obama. The only people who suffer from evil are evil people.

IKHAN   February 24th, 2010 8:49 pm ET

@A.Smith, @ Rose

so very right both of you. He sure would have my vote.

Jim Carroll   February 24th, 2010 9:06 pm ET

Let the garbage peddlers have their say now. Obama will get a health-care bill in a few weeks and a job bill; his stock will rise fast and we will elect even more democrats in 2010; and Obama will be elected again in 2012. Things will be much better come fall. Every one will know that republicans are worthless.

Deb   February 24th, 2010 11:04 pm ET

I wholeheartedly agree with A. Smith from Oregan's comments and I think Obama needs another four years to fix the mess from the "lost" decade.

Since Y2K, we have had a decade of the worst total returns for investors since the 1930's, most salaries have been flat, there have been excessive job losses and rising health care costs, and our international reputation has been in shambles.

I have watched all or most of the health care debates in Congress and I do not think the Democrats (including Obama) do a good job at calling out the lies and idiotic, self-serving, statements made by the Republicans. Therefore, most people are up in arms over the wrong facts and just plain rhetoric.

If people really want to get upset about something, they should look at the billions in political contributions and lobbying money given to Congress by the drug companies, insurance companies, and banks for their votes. To me, this is nothing short of corruption, bribery, and a serious conflict of interest and is not publicized enough by the media.

John H   February 25th, 2010 12:08 am ET

I don't see any reason why President Obama should not run for another 4 years. I may vote for him and I may not depending upon circumstances in 2011/12 and whether someone more promising should raise their head. In my opinion, we depend too much on government solving all our problems. What will resolve our problems is how each and every one of us conducts our own personal business and how we relate to those around us, not something a Democratic or Republican Administration will do. They both seem bound and determined to dig us a hole none of us will ever climb out of.

A. Smith, Oregon   February 25th, 2010 12:34 am ET

Dr. Gupta's report tonight highlighted the many ways Hospital patients are literally getting hosed by tremendous markup's of all items by the Hospital under the guise of paying for uninsured patients and making a profit.

Supposedly Hospitals excuse for the huge markup's on everyday medical supply's is 'they are only making 4 cents per dollar they charge'.

That really seems unfounded in reality. I've NEVER seen a Hospital offer a routine scan, test, out-patient operation, surgery for 95% lower costs if you wrote a check or paid with cash. And yet that excuse of them only getting 4 cents on the dollar to the Hospital is being floated!

Ask the Hospital or Medical Staff you deal with for a quote. Then tell them you'll pay them in cash 95% less than the quote. YOU would first be laughed at, then shown the door!

James31   February 25th, 2010 12:44 am ET

@A. Smith,
Your post suggests that there is zero overhead for the hospital, thus they can give you a 95% discount and come out ahead with 5 cents on the dollar. The overhead in a hospital, including paying its staff, equipment, etc. has to be covered first, then perhaps 4 cents on the dollar left. Most hospitals are struggling financially.
I saw Dr. Gupta's report; I had to laugh that he forgot to tell you what the neurosurgeon makes. And that is not to say neurosurgeons don't deserve their pay; just full disclosure.

hideaki nagano   February 25th, 2010 12:51 am ET

I think Amor y erotismo.I think disaster and fire.

Ronald R   February 25th, 2010 10:12 am ET

He tried to change the system but the system changed him...

He is clearly a one term president I hope the next one will end the corruption and actually follow the United States Constitution...

Donald L Allen   February 25th, 2010 12:09 pm ET

Ya ll I,M here I here what you or saying but I still don,t get it the net worth say we got the US backing US up so we well do what the hick we please made you or no talking about that at this Time but you field the ween see you I,M here I been here like four every Donald the low the justice low and not the one,s that how every make up see you on a up side

Donald L Allen   February 25th, 2010 12:19 pm ET

I sh-ere don,t want to be reworded by no one I just want to see the low take place I don,t want to trade four a record I want what is right Foley mind I don't work four people like him I want to be able to pursue my gold just like he per sou his gold and he is no better than me I no to put all the Bull aside I don,t want him to rip me off you see the thing I do don,t belong to him they belong to me simple the rec her I find here is mind not his place and simple you decide antes police and not just do what you please no mater how big of gold you have met

Donald L Allen   February 25th, 2010 12:32 pm ET

well I need you to no I,M not a grope and I believe there a better way to go about Business but I well not do it the way you or speaking of it not the right way to go about Business you field like I do it wood be good well as four me that is all I got to say on the the deal as we speck so I well go four now see you I well com back with trouble later on see LeeBot were there is no deal I well be there were there trouble I well be there were there is help to stop a bad deal I,M gonna be there and you no it well be true see Donald Allen

trm   February 25th, 2010 12:39 pm ET

I have no idea why American campaigns last almost 2 years & cost such a wasteful amount of money. I am Canadian –our last election for prime minister–the campaign lasted approx. 2 months –the cost I'm sure was more than enough.

rosegarden   February 25th, 2010 1:06 pm ET

I'll continue casting my vote to Obama in 2012.

dak   February 25th, 2010 2:19 pm ET

I hope his 2012 slogan is also "CHANGE"

Angela Savage Austin   February 25th, 2010 3:36 pm ET

President Obama has my vote.

Angela Savage Austin   February 25th, 2010 3:45 pm ET

@ Ronald...the love of money is why there is soooo much corruption. President Obama did not start this fire....nor will He ever end it. The corrupt people are responsible for changing their ways. If I must say...it was Jesus who came to show us a better way....how long ago was that....nothing changed. Holding President Obama hostage for what others do or don't do.....I think the American people are responsible for the continous support of corrupt elected officials.

Terry, TX   February 25th, 2010 6:44 pm ET

GOD HELP US.

Judith   February 25th, 2010 10:34 pm ET

Bottom Line Pres Obama's rump didn't even get warm when he sat on the chair in the Oval Office for the 1st time when the GOPs banned together attacking him.They are the Party of No.The party of No knows that Bush and his adm put America in the mess it is today.How can a President change when the other side attacks him every single day with a help of a Repu news like Fox and Rush L along with Cheney who knew what his adm did.
If Ronald Reagan were running today or in office today the tea party would be after him.He raised taxes (3) times and fought for amnesty.
Bush gave tax cuts while going into 2 Wars not thinking how to pay for them.
All people have to think is in 2012 do they want to go back to the Bush years and the answer will be President Obama will win his 2nd term.

Max_Power   March 4th, 2010 10:00 am ET

If Obama were to run again for presidential election in 2012, I doubt that he'll be elected again, especially since he won in 2008 because of slogans like "yes, we can" that somehow convinced the nation that if we elect obama we can, and since Obama hasn't really accomplished anything so far during the time he was president, i think the American people are starting to realize that electing Obama isn't really helping get out of this recession and fix our problems in the middle east. So Obama will not be elected again in 2012.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter