CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

February 24, 2010

ESPN's Tony Kornheiser in a Storm of Trouble – ends up suspended

Posted: 08:58 AM ET

Now it's Tony Kornheiser who has put his foot in his mouth.

The co-host of ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" – known as much for his sarcastic jokes as his sports talk – turned his commentary to ESPN colleague Hannah Storm's outfit on his radio show last week.

According to The Sporting News, Kornheiser called a Storm outfit "horrifying" and described its fit on her as "like she has sausage casing wrapping around her upper body."

Kornheiser later apologized, saying, "I'm a sarcastic, subversive guy ... I'm a troll, look at me. I have no right to insult what anybody looks like or what anybody wears."

But the damage had been done. Today, ESPN announced Kornheiser's been suspended temporarily.

What do you think? Did the penalty fit the crime?

Filed under: Sports

Hannah   February 24th, 2010 11:50 am ET

Good-I'm glad he was reprimanded. He deserves it! His job is to discuss sports–I don't think his contract includes critiquing of coworker's wardrobe. I didn't hear what was said so, I don't know if it was critical or if he thought he was being humorous –either way he was being a JERK> Too many times these days journalists,talk show hosts(sports, politics) forget what their jobs are- Mr. Kornheiser's job was to talk sports. Instead they want to be comedians or give their opinions –NO–that's not it. This happened @ a radio talk show so, noone would see her clothing but even if it was on tv –if it was improper only ESPN has the right to say something & I'm certain it would be done off camera.

D.R. Snow   February 24th, 2010 12:30 pm ET

This takes PC to extremes. ESPN is a hypocrite to suspend Tony K. for doing exactly what he is hired to do on PTI. ESPN also went overboard in trying to censure Tony K. on his own radio show. What he said was not racist, sexist, or even damaging to Hannah's career.
The outfit she was wearing reminds me of the 70's and she looks like shes on an episode of Mod Squad. The person or persons that should be ashamed are those who are dressing her to look like a catholic school girl. With respect to Michael Wilbon, I will not be watching PTI for the next two weeks. I hope PTI's advertisers take note.

lola   February 24th, 2010 2:03 pm ET

What ever happened to free speech? This politically correct society is killing us. Big deal, he said her outfit was too tight. It probably was. So what? Are we all such thinned skinned little children that we can't deal with the truth? Grow up! Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Get over it!

lola   February 24th, 2010 2:05 pm ET

Big deal he spoke the truth. Are we all such thinned skinned children that we can't handle the truth? get over it! Big deal. Her outfit was too tight. So what? Whatever happened to free speech? This politically correct society is killing us.

Carol   February 25th, 2010 1:55 am ET

Huge difference between free speech and sexism. Justifying what he did by agreeing with his judgments on her outfit shows just how narrow minded and sexist our society still is. The person who commented about the person(s) should be ashamed....... look like a catholic school girl says alot about how you were raised: Interesting that you would use the words "catholic" and "ashamed" in the same sentence????? Gee, I wonder if it has anything to do with the catholic church motto's: shame, guilt, women are inferior........................

Ted   February 25th, 2010 9:14 am ET

@ Carol

I do not condone any insults, however a male with bad manners is not a sexist! He is insulting, he is funny, depending on the person listenning to his gab.

lola   February 25th, 2010 4:13 pm ET

Get over it, Carol. Somethings are just what they are on the surface and not much more. You don't always have to look for deeper meaning when there really is none. He didn't like her "tight" outfit and thought it was inappropriate, and guess what? he was right – it was! Talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill.....geez. Sexist, my eye!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter