CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

February 2, 2010

Phil sees his shadow; Six more weeks of winter

Posted: 09:17 AM ET

Punxsutawney Phil, America's most famous rodent prognosticator, saw his shadow Tuesday, signaling six more weeks of winter.

Phil emerged from his ceremonial tree stump at Gobbler's Knob, Pennsylvania, to a cheering crowd that had waited in the cold for his annual prediction.

It is the 99th time that Phil - in his various incarnations - has seen his shadow, according to groundhog.org, the official Web site of the groundhog club in Punxsutawney, about 75 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, in western Pennsylvania.

Not seeing a shadow - something that has happened just 15 times in Phil's history, according to the club - would have meant spring is around the corner.

Phil's predictions don't mean much to human weather predictors, however.

CNN meteorologist Chad Meyers, citing stormfax.com, said Phil is correct 39 percent of the time. The U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration goes even further, saying Phil has "no predictive skill."

Filed under: Weather

MJs Tink   February 2nd, 2010 10:43 am ET

"Staten Island Chuck" didn't see his shadow.
Either way, spring will arrive in 6 weeks.

Long Live the King! and Chuck!

A. Smith, Oregon   February 2nd, 2010 1:05 pm ET

Winter is falling for American's Senior Citizens!

With CNN's Wolf Blitzer continuously pouring out the Republican talking points on WHY America cannot afford the 'entitlements' known as 'Social Security and Medicare-Medicaid it is appearing more and more like the American Public has been blind-sided by the actual intention of the Republican Party for pushing America's economy into the abyss it now is struggling to remove itself from.

The Republican party fought tooth and nail against the creation of Social Security and Medicare-Medicaid programs and Ronald Reagan echoed that battle cry continuing thru each Republican president including Bush jr. who vainly attempted to privatize Social Security just prior to the world dropping 6 Trillion dollars into a very select few pockets.

Didn't anyone ever think about the timing on Bush jr's attempt to push Social Security into the hands of Wall Street bankers? If Bush jr. had succeeded in doing that, Social Security now would be over, gone, history! CNN's Wolf Blitzer's constant echoing of the Republican battle-cry against Social Security and Medicare-Medicaid is the threat of bankrupting America over the next 10 years. That is purposely chosen strong language, however the Millions of American's depending on Social Security would certainly not be swayed to 'drop' their Social Security payments voluntarily!

The Republican Party and namely Bush-Cheney always found plenty of money to fund two foreign wars and pour hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars into the greedy hands of their friends in the huge defense contractor corporations. Regardless if they begged, borrowed or stole that money, funding for two wars and so-called 'homeland security' wasn't a problem for the Republican party.

I cannot imagine the horrific impact of cutting off the Social Security entitlements would have on millions of America's Senior citizens and millions of American's with special needs. The vast number of homes that would be foreclosed as a result of that would only be exceeded by the infamous Bush-Cheney depression era. This would result in pushing hundreds of thousands of America's Senior citizens out into the streets, homeless, starving and without medical care.

Baby boomers and America's Senior citizens should be very much concerned and aware of the Republican's hidden agenda in this unfolding fiasco. The Republican agenda is to shut down Social Security and Medicare-Medicaid under the guise of potentially causing our government to go bankrupt. All the while, two foreign wars, enormous military contracts and the creation of the giant worthless new department of homeland security are to blame. All created under the infamous Bush-Cheney era. All designed to drain critically needed funds from all domestic programs for years to come.

Does true Homeland Security exist when American's have no health care? Does true Homeland Security exist when America pushes its Senior Citizens out into the streets and seizes their homes after cutting off their entitlements they paid into for decades?

Joanne Wozniacki   February 2nd, 2010 1:51 pm ET

The republicans always were, and always will be, a disaster for Middle America and the poor. Every time we have a republican president, the country suffers and when they leave office, we have a holy mess. I hope and pray President Obama is a 2-term president.

Redhead Ranting   February 2nd, 2010 1:57 pm ET

If we only had six more weeks of winter it would be a short winter. We won't see grass in these parts for three more months.

A. Smith, Oregon   February 2nd, 2010 2:22 pm ET

@ Joanne, I certainly agree with your sentiments. I was alarmed to hear President Obama stating he'd rather be a one term good president than a average two term President. It's a naive remark in my opinion. He'll need at least two terms to turn the sinking ship around, shut down both foreign wars and cut off the enormous drain on America's economy by the US Military complex.

MarinaneS   February 2nd, 2010 4:22 pm ET

I personally really sorry for this Phil!!! Maybe I do not understand this holiday. But why torturing the poor animal every year during hibernation. After all, for marmot is such stress. I just submitted that he had taken his sleeping, and on it a whole crowd of people watching and all the yelling and photographed. Ghastly one word.
I apologize to fans of this holiday if offended.

Dodie   February 2nd, 2010 7:04 pm ET

Under the second Bush Administration, the state of the US was inundated in secrecy, theocracy, militarism and corruption. Never before in the history of the US have we, the people, been rendered so powerless by a ruling corporate elite and gang of imperialists. The US is being economically dismantled by a forced trade regime of NAFTA/GATT which allows our corporations and U.S. entrepreneurs to move their manufacturing technology overseas and take advantage of the reduced costs of doing business through slave labor.

On December 8, 1993, the NAFTA/GATT was signed by Clinton into law and is a scheme written by and for mega-corporate power for deliberate ruin of our service sector which is being decimated by outsourcing in a corporatist economic system.

With the deliberate decades old ruling changed by the Supreme Court, thus creating a process of "harmonization" the people no longer control due to interest-bearing debt and ruin. Our industrial base to undemocratic powers, a war to divert our attention from the destruction of freedom, privacy and democracy (The Patriot Act) at home is the order of the day.

Benito Mussolini, Fascist dictator of Italy stated:

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."

Dodie   February 2nd, 2010 7:50 pm ET

@ A. Smith, Oregon

Stellar!!! It is winter for the baby-boomers and seniors. What a tragic fate to have worked and provided your entire life only to find yourself out in the cold!

A. Smith, Oregon   February 2nd, 2010 8:25 pm ET

Dodie, do you want to hear a funny?

When I was working for the USDA helping to manage the US Forests under President Clinton, when NAFTA passed and became law, the wholesale flood of cheap lumber from Canada pushed me out of my federal government job at that time. Being a Federal Union employee, I of course went to my representatives with my complaint, only to find all public American citizens displaced because of NAFTA could receive all kinds of grants, training and job placement opportunity's, and NONE existed for federal employees!

I recall a fellow employee that stated, he got screwed and didn't even get a complimentary reach around!

Cajazz76:24:8   February 2nd, 2010 8:59 pm ET

They want to replace Phil with a robot, per the animal rights activists design. Wouldn't that leave those at Gobbler's Knob looking for knob to gobble come next year. Well, I think more people listen to Chad anyway....

Dodie   February 2nd, 2010 9:13 pm ET

@ A. Smith, Oregon

I am so sorry the NAFTA law caused you harm and job loss! :~( I find myself very irritated; hence the previous blog, at the ‘imperialist old boys club’ for reasons like yours! So many decent Americans, wanting nothing more than to work and contribute, are left out in the cold because of ‘corporate rule’

Being a federal employee has wonderful benefits and a lifetime of opportunity. It is very upsetting; you were excluded from all the opportunities offered others. It is even more infuriating you experienced the ‘blowback’ from NAFTA!

Scott Stodden   February 2nd, 2010 10:21 pm ET

Yuck six more weks of winter but we should definitly stick to the groundhog and not the robot idea!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

Dodie   February 2nd, 2010 10:34 pm ET

While they are changing laws, it would be nice if they could or hit the "delete button" on the NAFTA/GATT law that gives the "all mighty" power to huge corporations which have decimated our working class individuals by outsourcing to slave labor elsewhere!

Dodie   February 2nd, 2010 11:00 pm ET

Avatar is like none other. It is similar to Star Wars and Fantasia!

Cajazz76:24:8   February 2nd, 2010 11:10 pm ET

Hey Dodie, what does Punxsutawney Phil have to do with Avatar, as opposed to a dodo.? In reality neither exist!.....

Bud Swanson   February 2nd, 2010 11:40 pm ET

Concerning the "don't ask don't tell" issue, I believe that a gay man, because of his sexual preference and the sex drive of a man in his prime years, gay or not, would certainly view and react to his fellow soldiers, in any situation, in a different way than a heterosexual man would. It is my opinion that this would be more likely the case and certainly more prevalent if gay men were free to openly express their sexual preference. It would be similar to having heterosexual men and women in the same situations, and this has been a challenge for the military since the onset of women being allowed in the military.I also think that right or wrong it affects the heterosexual solider in his ability to perform in that environment. I would be intrested to see what the majority of the men and women in uniform have to say about this issue and if I am on target in my opinion.

A. Smith, Oregon   February 3rd, 2010 12:11 am ET

@ Dodie, thank you for your wonderful insights and kind comments. In regards to my losing a federal job as a result of NAFTA, that's life and sometimes the dice do not come up seven.

I found it terribly ironic however in that several months earlier I had turned down a permanent position with the USPS that was offered to me because I was filling in as a US Forest Fire Fighter in the National forest while the regular crews and smoke jumpers were working fires up in Alaska. I felt it would have placed others at risk if I just left at that time. The USPS didn't understand the point, nor were they willing to cut me any allowance to finish up the rest of the year with the USDA before moving to the USPS.

In short, I lost two Federal jobs that same year.

Dodie   February 3rd, 2010 1:04 am ET

@ A. Smith

Because of your ‘ethics’ you lost the other government job. That even compounds the issue presented from NAFTA. How do you feel today with that loss? Government jobs never cut anyone any slack.

The most valuable employees have high work ethics. It’s most unfortunate, as I feel they really lost someone of real value……. You!!!

Dodie   February 3rd, 2010 1:13 am ET

@ Cajazz76:24:8

You think you are facetious and funny! I fully understand your intentions! Other than being pointlessly sarcastic, there is no value in what you say!

Cajazz76:24:8   February 3rd, 2010 1:26 am ET

Dodie..you really don't accept life on condition, do you?..Just accept and enjoy the humor..".life's a beach, lay in the sand and make a few sand swallows."-cajazz

Dodie   February 3rd, 2010 1:30 am ET

@ Cajazz76:24:8

Other than being pointlessly cruel and angry, there is STILL no value in what you say!

Dodie   February 3rd, 2010 1:35 am ET

@ CNN LKL Blog Staff....... I see Ed received my phone call about that blog! Thank You!!!

Cajazz76:24:8   February 3rd, 2010 1:47 am ET

@Dodie

While flapping your arms making those sand swallows, realize that the sand your tossing to the breeze is the corpses of crustaceans that have long been 'dust in the wind.' Life is too short...live for the moment...never let anything said speed up your heart and lose a few seconds....we only have so many heartbeats...please don't waste a single one on my banter.

Cajazz76:24:8   February 3rd, 2010 2:02 am ET

@ Dodie

Thank you for getting those at the network to read my blog..The message in there was not subtle, nor mean, nor meant for you or A.S. But, I foresaw that your demeanor would predicate it being logged into the archives. It will lie there for eternity, thank you again, adieu... jazz

Cajazz76:24:8   February 3rd, 2010 2:47 am ET

@Dodie

Oh, the network knew I wouldn't mind my first amendment rights being trampled on at the behest of a frustrated narcissistic, self predicating censor of the media. They are here for entertainment purposes, as well. As for you 'Doter', I hope you tired to the point of surrender to your insomnia..sleep well...

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   February 4th, 2010 9:02 pm ET

Yes, certainly need something to laugh off winter, though it is no laugh, I tell you. Well I suppose you can have the heat. Can't have everything in this world you know.

We are in our summer here and I do sympathise with you over there in your winter and what with the other things going on, on top of it. Grrrrrrr!!!!!!!!

Leo   February 4th, 2010 11:19 pm ET

Dear Larry king:
I am disgusted with the Haitian government in criminalizing the ignorant and innocent mistake of some overzealous missionaries who just wanted to help the Haitian people. Yes, one cannot wear the mind’s construction on the face, but those faces are not the face of kidnappers. I so sick of this ungrateful attitude of the Haitian authority that if I have a way, I will urge all to withhold any help, monetary or otherwise. On my part, I will keep my widows mite that I was to send to the Clinton bush fund. Shame on Haiti for holding these missionaries a minute longer.
Leo

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter