CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 28, 2010

TONIGHT ON LARRY KING LIVE!

Posted: 09:49 PM ET

We're talking about what Jay Leno said today about his late night battle with Conan O'Brien.

We'll also talk about what finally caused John and Elizabeth Edwards to announce their separation after 32 years of marriage.
Also, Ted and Gayle Haggard are here.
His gay sex and drug scandal cost him his mega-ministry.  But NOT his marriage.
Why did Gayle forgive him?  We'll ask her.
Plus –

Music superstars Mary J. Blige and Andrea Bocelli are here with a BIG announcement.
Find out what it is...
Tune in tonight at 9pm ET / 6pm PT

AND
We want to know...

ARE YOU HAPPY JAY LENO IS HOSTING THE TONIGHT SHOW AGAIN?

Sound off below!

Filed under: Larry King Live

Clint   January 28th, 2010 10:10 pm ET

It is crazy to think Conan wont be back Larry
I think he is a brilliant comedian talk show host with extreme qualities.
Watch for him to return im sure with FOX network

Debbie Lewis   January 28th, 2010 10:27 pm ET

I don't know if I'm "happy" Jay Leno is hosting The Tonight Show again. However, I'm surprised that everyone is rallying around Conan and demonizing Jay.

The network is the "bad guy," and both Jay and Conan were just pawns in a poorly played game. By accepting the 11:35 timeslot offered by NBC, Jay played the cards he was dealt - especially since he was not released from his contract once they cancelled his 10:00 p.m. show.

Conan acted like a child re: the half-hour later move. He literally had a public temper tantrum - played out in his letter, on his show and through friends like Jimmy Kimmel (who really showed his fangs). The bottom line IS the bottom line. If Conan's ratings were strong, he wouldn't have been asked to move.

I also thought Conan's "last night" farewell and plea to young people not to be cynical was "bologna." He played the victim, he acted cynically and he reminded me of a spiteful child. His $45 million buyout does not buy any sympathy from me.

I'll be rooting for Jay - because I'm tired of bitter behavior of each of his competitors which I find much more distasteful than Jay's decision to say "yes." I'll take his light-hearted humor and approach to life anyday (or night)!

lilarose in bandon, or   January 28th, 2010 10:45 pm ET

I commented once and it appeared on the blog. It was a civilized post, but it now off.

What happened?

I support Jay Leno and his show, I can't wait till he comes back, he didn't have anything to do with what happened to him, and Jay, please bring back the old city-scape background you had, also go back behind your desk to talk to the stars (forget the chair), and get the band closer to you–right now they seem across the parking lot.

Theresa   January 28th, 2010 10:55 pm ET

I n his"PREACHER" days I wonder how many gay people he fire & brimstoned to death. So he & his wife don't charge for their speaking engagements BUT my,oh my they will accept "LOVE OFFERINGS!" I guess some people can live a delusional life–I guess it's their choice. He insinuates being gay is a choice so, I guess a few years ago he chose to have gay experiences but he really isn't gay. I wonder what kind of kool-aid he's drinking? He's irritating & she's an enabler.

Gloria Doucette   January 28th, 2010 10:56 pm ET

The caller that commented on Larry King was totally mispoken; his comments were irrelevant and rude. Larry King is one of the best, if not "the best" in the journalism industry.

A. Smith, Oregon   January 28th, 2010 10:58 pm ET

Andrea Bocelli and Mary J. Blige are pooling their talents for a great cause. I certainly hope there is complete and transparent accountability from the Red Cross and other Haitian relief organizations in how those funds are distributed.

Direct US aid to Haiti was very heavily spent on the US Military, 33 cents from each dollar, with only 6 cents out of each dollar going for FOOD for the starving Haitian people!

I didn't realize why so many soldiers walking the streets of Haiti with machine guns are needed?

Theresa   January 28th, 2010 11:01 pm ET

By the way Tiger & Elin-Ted Haggard has some advice for you–read his wife's book & you'll be halfway to Nirvana!!

Dawn   January 28th, 2010 11:03 pm ET

The caller who criticized Larry upset me – how dare he. Nothing about his comment was true. My entire family LOVES Larry.

al   January 28th, 2010 11:17 pm ET

Jay Leno is playing neutral he's doing what's best for him. I'm anxious to see the outcome.

Jim Zajac   January 29th, 2010 1:47 am ET

Larry, other than Jay's humor during his dialog I believe the only battle that took place was between NBC and Conan Obrien and it may have been primarily over his compensation package, which he duly deserved. If my short term memory which is fairly good, it just does not last that long, serves me, at all, I believe it was NBC that removed Jay from the Tonight Show and gave him his new show as compensatory and put Conan in the Tonight Show seat. At the time that Jay left his ratings appeared to be the best on the network in that slot. When Conan failed to retain the numbers Jay had and NBC decided to make a change to regain what they lost due to their ineptness Conan balked and he is going to have one hell of a hard time spending all that cash. No war..no battle..no bleeding there.

Corey   January 29th, 2010 1:48 am ET

How is it that a sexual encounter w a man not a big deal?

David in Houston   January 29th, 2010 2:45 am ET

Ted Haggard needs to explain how someone who was supposedly molested (raped) as a child by a man, would suddenly be attracted to men when they became an adult. Common sense would tell you that you would be repulsed by the idea of being intimate with men after such a traumatic experience. For example: A woman that is raped by a man would have an incredibly difficult time trusting and being intimate with other men.

I believe that Mr. Haggard (and his church) fabricated the molestation story to give himself a way of explaining his homosexual compulsions, and to create a scenario where he is the victim. I also find it hard to believe that Gayle could ever be intimate with Ted, after he has had sex with various men. I can't imagine ANY woman doing that.

R JJ   January 29th, 2010 6:24 am ET

I think they (whoever cooked it up), sort of sabotaged Conan
by all the big announcements of Jay ending his run on Tonite,
and viewers anticipating Conan taking over the spot, but then
they scheduled a Jay Leno show at 10pm with virtually the same
show Jay had been doing…this tossed away any pent up demand
for Conan’s show in the late evening, tearing away Tonite show audience for him, dooming his ratings from the start.
This arrangement did not give Conan a fair chance at success there. So I believe he did have a valid claim against them for compensation for this goofy game.
Jay at the time of Conan’s start should have been on hiatus.
As far as the question up there, well the Tonite show franchise has been sort of rattled, but I only watched the first 15 min anyway, because the celebrities now only want to plug more of these silly movies Hollywood stamps out endlessly, so we’ll see I guess…

jan   January 29th, 2010 11:53 am ET

I wouldn't watch Jay leno even if I could, the guy attitude towards MJ stinks.
Karma is catching up with nancy grace, what you put around comes back around some day.

R. Powell   January 29th, 2010 3:17 pm ET

ok at the end of the day its jay leno people he has been around for how many years? and now all of a sudden its become and issue? and who cares if he has a sour attitude towards mj im not saying that its right however i dont think that the particular subjects in which he chooses to talk about should determine his postition in the network! im sure jay has earned his way into the hearts of many over the years even to the ones who absolutely hate him!

vitoria   January 29th, 2010 8:55 pm ET

Seems like Leno is doing lot of talking lately , does Jay Leno
realize that he made an a... of himself ?
Jay I understand that the network project is based on the ratings
money is not everything in life specially since you got enough
to share with your 300 plus employees ?
You kept saying to Oprah about giving your employees their job back
but did you think about your co worker's employees that was laid off
as well ?
Money is important in life but more important than money is to be respectable and stand up with values that money could never buy !
Jay you are right you are just a number for this powerful company
as long as you are making money for them you are special ,
did you ever heard of the world KARMA ?

Gerald Jolly   January 29th, 2010 9:39 pm ET

In my opinion Leno is the better host.

But if there is a real "STOOGE" in all this idiocy.

It's the president ZUCKER a true modern day MORON

James31   January 29th, 2010 9:43 pm ET

@Victoria,
Perhaps Conan could have said what you just said when he was told in 2004 that in 5 years he was booting Leno out even though Leno did not want to go. However much we like Conan, Jay Leno is a very decent, good person who did not want to leave the Tonight show so why are we acting as though he did something wrong. Money is not everything; sometimes it is nice to love what you are doing even if you have money (right, Larry 🙂 . Conan left with 30 plus million even after giving up some of his severance package to his employees. If he were a CEO, we would have crucified him for leaving with that kind of money when a company (in this case program) was not terribly successful. Give Jay a break! There are a lot of things that have happened here that might be considered KARMA.

vitoria   January 30th, 2010 1:31 am ET

@James
You are entitle to your opinion and I am entitle to my ,
now lets not act like comedians !

James31   January 30th, 2010 11:31 am ET

@Victoria,
The problem Victoria is that many base their opinion simply on which comedian they prefer, Conan or Leno, instead of looking at it as a business matter than the network handled poorly. There is no reason to crucify a decent person like Jay Leno because he loves his work and wants to stay. We should all be so lucky to make a living doing what we absolutely love. I just think it's important to look at facts and not let our personal bias get in the way. That is my opinion and that opinion in no way speaks unklndly to either person, neither of which I know personally. It is possible to have an opinion without being ugly; hard to believe I know.

Crispy   January 31st, 2010 2:53 pm ET

I think Conan really does need to make that time machine that was discussed in the interview. I'm sure he has the intelligence that is necessary to build one of these, I mean he's a harvard graduate!

Tyler   January 31st, 2010 5:01 pm ET

Yes, I do think that Conan O'Brian should build a time machine to settle the dispute back in 2003.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter