CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 27, 2010

University teaches students dining etiquette

Posted: 03:12 AM ET

Alex Dickinson of mx via couriermail.com.au

A BRISBANE university is teaching its commerce students how to eat properly at restaurants, because employers are complaining about graduates with a general lack of social skills.

While Griffith University lecturers hope it won't come down to how to hold a knife and fork, the uni will offer a three-day professional development course including classes on basic dining etiquette as part of its Bachelor of Commerce (Professional) degree.

The course, offered exclusively at its Logan campus, will cover how to dine with clients without embarrassing yourself and how to dress in restaurants.

(Read More)

Filed under: Larry King Live

Cindy   January 27th, 2010 1:04 pm ET

Hmm, I wonder what we'll have to teach students next. It's a stretch I guess to think parents might want to teach their kids something.

Dodie   January 27th, 2010 2:12 pm ET

This is ridiculous! With age and maturity will come “social etiquette” To expect anything more from a bunch of college kids is plain idiotic; a complete and total waste of time. I experienced a ‘pop culture’ class, naming the movie stars and the movies they acted. It was complete and utter nonsense; my lowest grade ever at the university!

trm   January 27th, 2010 4:07 pm ET

Take a survey-how many families actually sit down together at a table to dine. If you haven't noticed you don't require the best manners for fast food--cutlery isn't required for the most part! More hours are spent in a car --it's the new diningroom!

Cindy   January 27th, 2010 5:03 pm ET

I don't think this is a waste of time. I think there are certain social etiquette skills or a lack thereof that can hurt young people during interview sessions. So it really depends on just what is included in the training. Social etiquette has fallen by the wayside in part due to our lifestyles and in part due to a lack of training.

claudia   January 27th, 2010 10:06 pm ET

Frankly, I cant see how it will harm them by learning these skills. Why would this university put together such a program unless there was such a need perhaps via feedback from past employers.

Patricia   January 27th, 2010 10:20 pm ET

With age and maturity will come “social etiquette”??? I thought it came with the education one get at home. I'm still amazed at the way some adults (young and old) hold their knife and fork...like they come from the cavemen era! There are basic rules and more sofisticated ones, I guess this university is teaching the sofisticated ones...Good for them!

Gale Paquin   January 28th, 2010 1:50 am ET

Hi Larry, I think President Obama gave a great speach tonight. All the Republicans can do is say no to everything. I would like to see them put the welfare of the country before their desire to see President Obama fail.

Theresa Rey   January 28th, 2010 1:54 am ET

When the Pres. won I felt such a shame ,a republican should clean up his own mess. There is no way this poor man can win with all his good intentions. Republicans only care about corporate America who really runs this counrty. Let's tell the truth, the people want the truth ,can they handle the truth. Less government caused this problem. We are just ants. Hopeless.

Brian Pierre   January 28th, 2010 12:05 pm ET

There is one perfect teacher for the dining etiquette lessons. Borat Sagdyiev!

Rose   January 28th, 2010 3:27 pm ET

Dining etiquette is a strong and silent communication tool. It goes far beyond what fork etc to use and can either help or hurt a person professionally. Selection of food when ordering is also an indicator as food also had it's own "social" hierarchy. Pacing, inclusiveness in conversation, language usage, turning off cell phones and of course, appropriate attire. It always helps greatly to be raised with manners at home, to begin with.

Jim Zajac   January 28th, 2010 9:50 pm ET

Larry, I guess we can be thankful we at least them healthy for their arms to be strong enough to lift a spoon. How they perform doings so is our failure in parenting-cajazz76:24:8
i

Cajazz76:24:8   January 29th, 2010 3:07 am ET

Larry, Universities should pretest all applicants in the social graces since their next four years will be spent with students from all walks of life and from all economic backgrounds. If they fail, slap their mommas and send them home until they can demonstrate a willingness to conform to a social environment conducive to conduct to that of a speaking animal, and I do not mean that of a parrot or mynah bird. Then again, if they end up living in a "nation of vagabonds riding the rails of poverty"-cajazz76:24:8...due to an indebtedness granted unto them by their forefathers and have to pick peanuts out of their poo to survive then the situation must be readdressed and reassessed."I fear for the survival of our descendants what exactly, through probate, they will inherit from their past"-cajazz76:24:8...

Tom Joyce   January 29th, 2010 10:32 pm ET

Somebody needs to teach them.

Linda Bridge   January 29th, 2010 10:46 pm ET

I have never written to anything like your program but i so i want to do something to help with the Haiti problem.
We live in southern Oregon where timber is our way of life. logging, replanting, mill's, saw shops ect. All but a very, very few have been shut down and everyone is out of work. The tree's are now bug infested and rotting away.
This letter was written by a person who lives in the same town i do. It makes a lot of sense to me.
HAITI RELIFE MONEY COULD PUT AMERICANS TO WORK.
As you know, the people in our country are in dire need of work.
I think we could take $100 million of the money earmarked for Haiti and put thousands of people to work throughtout the United States by providing building materials. As you know, Oregon mills are not doing well. Many have shut down. We could use the mills to provide plenty of lumber for rebuilding Haiti. We could do this throughout the United States. with all building supplies.
This would be a win-win situation. That way, the money for labor would stay in the United States, and the building materials could go to Haiti.
This was written to the editor of our local paper by "James Tallefson" of Grants pass,Oregon
It seems like a ery good idea to me and thought somehow you might bring it to everyone's attention.
Thanks,
Linda Bridge

Benjamin   January 30th, 2010 4:06 pm ET

What a magnificent idea, academic instruction is necessary to land a job but to claim the good positions in a prestigious company you must show certain social skills, and to be honest very few people have what it takes cause they are not even taught the basics at home, there are always excuses (lack of time, money, intention and willingness), another important subject should be: Respect.

Donald L Allen   January 30th, 2010 5:04 pm ET

what is it with the world or they just trying to spend there time to rip the world of what is good or what Larry and the people you see on the show if you or rich it don't mater you can do what you please and get away Scot free right there need to be low and order not just get away Scot free it wrong if you get away free it mean you never learn what you or doing is wrong I think you sued pay the price if you or wrong you sued not get away with it free Larry ,Donald I tried to get on your site and it failed so now I got on I don't no what was wrong but I,M here now but maybe to moral I might not be so that is all I got to say four now see you Larry King be good I hop it help you to no what I,M saying is of important

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   January 30th, 2010 10:27 pm ET

Yes, social skills are sadly lacking nowadays. What with TV, Video Games and the good old takeaways. Times have changed alright. Dining etiquette is not cool anymore. Anything goes now.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter