CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 22, 2010

Bringing Samuel Chancelet home: Today is the day!

Posted: 12:12 AM ET

Editor’s Note: Joe and Jill Wilkins of Portland, Oregon, were in the process of finalizing their adoption of a little Haitian boy, Samuel Chancelet, when the earthquake struck. Samuel Chancelet is safe, but they are still desperately trying to bring him home. They will be documenting their journey and updating the LKL blog regularly on their progress. This is the fourth article in the series.

JILL:
I can’t remember what day it is. My “power naps” are so sporadic 24-hours a day that I have no idea what day it is, or how long I have been in Miami.

I cannot believe today is the day. Well, actually, I am not going allow myself to feel the emotions until Samuel Chancelet is in my arms. I am still very fearful of all that is involved in processing the children and getting them to the U.S. There are many “unknowns” and I am praying that they are allowed to go to their adoptive parents. We are in for a VERY LONG NIGHT.

Today has been so much fun, as I have been able to share some “private” time with some of the other adoptive parents who have been alongside us this whole time. I have somehow found myself trying to represent all of us and have felt such a heavy burden to “get this right.” Each one of us has a story to tell, and a battle to fight and I wanted all of us to win. We are all facing the same challenges, emotions, and exhaustion. This has been the journey of a lifetime and knowing we are not alone is so comforting. We were all discussing the documentation of this ordeal and how we will have an amazing story to share with our children.

I think I am fearful of what is to come. We don’t know what this means for our adoption. We don’t know what it is going to take to finalize it and that’s really hard. We have been through so much already (before the earthquake) and knowing there is another mountain ahead is not something I can process right now.

I am with my friends (yes, laptop on the table; I cannot live without it or my Blackberry. They are lifelines). I am taking a moment to try and relax; it is the first time in over a week I have been able to stop moving and it is the first “real meal” I have had since that time too.

Quick thoughts:

– A dear friend has helped me calm down, take deep breaths, and focus on the good that is about to happen.

– People are showing AMAZING support. I am truly humbled by what is happening around me. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

– I miss Joe.

– I am amazed at what God has done. Every change, every new thing I get hit with, I am working to just go with the flow, knowing He is in control. I am just trying to allow the plan to play out.

– Joe just text messaged me and said, “Are you ready to be a mom?” My heart just skipped a beat. Is this really happenin?

PREVIOUS BLOG ENTRIES BY JOE AND JILL WILKINS:

Bringing Samuel Chancelet home: Making progress

Bringing Samuel Chancelet home: Day 2

Bringing Samuel Chancelet home: A couple's desperate journey

Filed under: Haiti Earthquake

Brenda   January 22nd, 2010 12:56 am ET

I think it is great that this familys are finally getting there babies–glad they are cutting thru the red tape to allow this to happen. Those babies have been thru enough it is about time they we have some normacy finally in there lives. God Bless the Haitians.

TheProudAmerican777@youtube   January 22nd, 2010 1:49 am ET

very nice, many years to them 🙂

PROF Dave W. Dawson   January 22nd, 2010 9:31 am ET

GOING WITH THE RIGHT FLOW is THE WAY OF THE HERO in EVERYONE's book.
How a Hero's Life changes is an AMAZING Magic.
And the 2 kinds of Heroism ....
a) SUNG Heroism &
b) UNSUNG Heroism.
Do UNSUNG Heroes & Heroines REFUSE to be recognised?
Do UNSUNG Heroes & Heroines have greater goals?
Is not being identified for HEROIC acts COMMONPLACE?
Wanting to get on with their Lives with the minimum of fuss is a strange way of being HONOURED because UNSUNG Heroism is still VERY HONOURABLE.
Take no Honour away from SUNG Heroes.
They got caught being SUCCESSFUL.
The TOUGHEST thing to be is HEROIC.
Who know what you'll be called upon to do these days.
One thing's absolutely certain;
HEROISM IS ALWAYS CALLED UPON.
Put Heroism on its' own LEGAL Learning Curve because HEROISM IS ALWAYS LEGAL.
In recognition of both SUNG & UNSUNG Heroism, the HEROIC ALWAYS GAVE THEIR RIGHTS & FULLY.
It's hard to find out who's a DEVOTED HERO until it happens.
Clearly both SUNG & UNSUNG HEROICS ARE OF THE RIGHT POWER.

Clara Raymond   January 22nd, 2010 12:45 pm ET

Dear Mr King

I would like you to share this message with everybody. On January 12 beside GOD, Toussaint Louverture Haitian people has a new hero and his name is Anderson Cooper. Could please tell him MERCI MERCI MERCI.

Brandi & Aaron of Forest Grove, OR   January 22nd, 2010 1:55 pm ET

Joe & Jill- We are so excited for you. Through this tragedy, blessings have come. We're eager to meet your darling little boy once he is adjusted to his new life and amazing parents!

Mrs. Mayes   January 22nd, 2010 5:10 pm ET

All the News Media need to stop showing pictures of that young man lying in the street in Haiti. Everyone should have dignity in death and dying. The young man has a mother and family how do you think they feel seeing their loved one lying in the street bleeding and dying every hour on the hour evey time they look at the News or TV. Don't you all realize how uncompassionate this is? How would you like to see your son, brother, father or friend lying in the street in a pool of blood dying eveytime you cut the News or TV on. You can report the story without showing this picture and we will get what you are trying to say about it without you showing the young man's picture. This also goes for all the other pictures of people and children that are hurtful for families to see!

MARIE CELESTIN   January 22nd, 2010 8:25 pm ET

IF YOU WANTE TO ADOPT A KIDS what are you going to do ?

LacrosseMom(the real one)   January 22nd, 2010 9:05 pm ET

God bless Joe, Jill & baby, Samuel! You are a brilliant example of Christ in this cynical world.

MarinaneS   January 23rd, 2010 8:25 am ET

This act is worthy of great respect. I think they will become real, loving parents for orphans. And it is so wonderful that such people in our time is becoming every day more and more. I want to believe that all children are orphans of Haiti necessarily will find a new loving family. And may the Lord God bless all these people.

Kat   January 23rd, 2010 7:57 pm ET

Am pleased to see that there are white people who see people for people and have a heart to love anyone. I pray that this little boy with the name "Samuel" brings them nothign but the joy and peace in their home and lives that only the almighty God can give. Thank you

Kat   January 23rd, 2010 7:58 pm ET

I wish that every person would abandon hate and be kind. The white Republican party and some of those white democrats do not want a black man to succeed! This is why they are fighting Obama on everything. No matter what he does, it is a problem. Black people are watching!

I hope that Obama will at the end of his presidency write a book that tells all the racism and nasty treatment that he had to endure in Washington and shame those board heads there!

SFC Raymond Hutchinson   January 25th, 2010 11:50 pm ET

Dear Larry King
While in the military I was accountable for a million dollars of medical equipment. I simple ask were is the money. I truly believe that one trillion has been spent on the banks and financial institutes. Were the "Hell" is the money. I can only remember ,"Clara Peller's comment, Where's the Beef." (may God rest her soul.). I was accountable for every penny and item of medical equipment I was issued. Where is the money. The bankers stated It's none of our business. This money just can not disappear. It's somewhere out there. Why isn't it being used to refinance or rebuild our economy. I do not support any more financial bale outs if the bankers and Wall Street is not held accountable.

SFC HUTCH
US Army, ORARNG

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter