CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

January 20, 2010

Bringing Samuel Chancelet home: Making Progress

Posted: 04:00 PM ET

Editor’s Note: Joe and Jill Wilkins of Portland, Oregon, were in the process of finalizing their adoption of a little Haitian boy, Samuel Chancelet, when the earthquake struck. Samuel Chancelet is safe, but they are still desperately trying to bring him home. They will be documenting their journey and updating the LKL blog regularly on their progress.

Several of us have adjoining rooms at the hotel in Miami. It has become like “command central.”  We are just average people, but we are working to move mountains. I am currently sitting on the bathroom floor typing, so as not to wake my roommate. I needed to get this out before the craziness hits. There is just no time once we start moving. Things change EVERY 15 minutes.  Last night, we helped some kids get reunited with the gracious help of Samuel Dalembert (Philadelphia 76er) last night (will try to get some pics posted later.) We needed to think clearly – and we got all the legal stuff documented (pictures, signatures, etc…).

The women I am working with here are STRONG. I am in good company.  Please pray that God gives us all clear thoughts as we move forward.

Dixie Bickel, director of God’s Littlest Angels orphanage, is working hard today to figure out what our next steps will be.  She needs your prayers RIGHT NOW.  She will most likely be traveling to Port-au-Prince, making decisions of what makes the most sense to get the kids out.  Pray for her, please.

We had amazing help from Carlos, a friend of a friend, here in Miami, who went out and got a bunch of baby supplies to have on hand, as we were expected to get some children who needed our help on our charter flight back. The kids didn’t make the flight in time. However, we may need to do the same in the next 24-48 hours. I got to the hotel and the room was stocked with stuff for 3-5 babies!  Carlos – THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart.  You didn’t even think twice!

People are asking how to help…   These are the best things you can do right now:  Please continue to support God’s Littlest Angels by donating funds, spread any links or media coverage you can and… PRAY. (God is bigger than this and he is with us every step of the way.)  Pray for “command central” in the States today, but even more so, pray for Dixie and the people making decisions about our kids.  We are all hoping we hear some good news soon.

After we received this email from the Joint Council on International Children’s Services yesterday (see below), we knew we needed to work harder than ever. I have to be honest, I was so disappointed that we had Skype issues AND that the political discussion trumped our Larry King Live segment.  We needed help to get this message out.  There is talk of more media coverage today, so please watch for these and please spread links if you see them.  Larry King Live has been great to work with; they are all working hard to continue to get us help and I thank them for that, from the bottom of my heart.

Things are changing so often.  You have to be ready to completely give up what you are doing and move on to the next.  We need supplies today for whatever might come.  We need to be ready to get kids out and are working with many contacts (stay tuned.)  We will not give up until we have the kids out!

JSCIS 1/19 Email:

Another day come and gone and no change.  Despite extensive Congressional support and all of your calls to your Members of Congress we have hit roadblock after roadblock.  At this point we respectfully ask that you stop contacting your Members of Congress requesting their assistance with obtaining security, transportation, and water for the location. The Department of State has not and apparently will not provide the small assistance that we have requested.

Given the current circumstances, at this point we are recommending that someone from each orphanage escort the children who qualify for humanitarian parole or adoption visas to the U.S. Embassy in Port-A-Prince.  We recommend that the orphanage staff arrive with the children and any adoption paperwork that has not been destroyed as early as possible in the morning in order to attempt to obtain visas or parole for the children.  Please understand that this option may not be considered safe and that the U.S. Embassy did not allow some orphanages onto the premises today.  Additionally, please note that it has been reported that there is no food, water or facilities for the children to use while at the Embassy.  As noted during our conference call earlier today, these are our recommendations only and should not be used to replace your or your orphanage director's good judgment.

There are so many more things to say… but I just can’t seem to capture it all right now.  My mind is racing with things to get done.  And soon, the chaos of the day will begin.

Previous Blog Entries By Joe and Jill Wilkins:

Bringing Samuel Chancelet Home: Day 2

Bringing Samuel Chancelet Home: A Couple's Desperate Journey

Filed under: Haiti Earthquake • Larry King Live

Denise   January 20th, 2010 9:36 pm ET

I am very happy for the Haitian children who can find a loving and safe home in the US. However , because of the chaotic situation who determines" who is an orphan?": a child with no parents ? a child with 1 parent and a missing one ?or with both parents missing? Did they give opportunity for the extended family members to claim this child? In the US , will they consider the cultural transition and place these children with an Haitian family? I just want to protect those children !Thanks

chicago   January 20th, 2010 9:41 pm ET

it is unfortunate how both sides are acting as though they are so incompetent that they cannot seem to figure out a way to at the very least drop plenty of medicine and water to the few people that are willing to help. one can only imagine what steps americans would take,if the situation was reversed! i think the results here would be"survival of the fittest" chaos like you would not imagine!

Shirley Davis   January 20th, 2010 9:54 pm ET

A "grass-roots" plan for movement needs to be "in the air" for the common man of Haiti. I haven't heard it. So...I propose .....that folks be encouraged to move straight out from Port-au-Prince. Think "arms around Port-au-Prince". IF folks would move (5) FIIVE MILES OUT: 1)RedCommunity, lineNorth, 2)Blue Community,LineNorthEast, 3)Yellow Community, LineEast, 4) Green Community,Line South East, 5)OrangeCommunity, LineSouth, 6) PurpleCommunity, LineSouthWest, 7)BlackCommunity, LineWest, 8)WhiteCommunity Line, NorthWest. All wedges from the city moving approximately 5 miles out. Fan out from side to side to wrap around current communities. Plant church groups, schools, shopping in approximately the same place within community – no matter how basic. Nevermind zoning for this TEMPORARY placement. It simply creates community- which is the replacement for family for many – and a way to be located. Can anyone envision 10,000 t-shirts in each color. No one needs to know how to read to follow a simple plan like this. The carrot: the food and supplies set up at the new site areas. Other sites, like medical ships, etc. can hook-up with nearest community, as things settle.

Well...is there a better idea out there? Some kind of plan needs to surface for the man on the street to know what to do next.

GrammaShug

Carlene Moore   January 20th, 2010 11:02 pm ET

With all of the millions raised, I understand saving lives is number one priority and getting food to these precious people. Afterwards, let let them trailer homes, rebuild the water system, electrity, gas soon and let the people occupy them until their homes are build with the money raise BY the wonderful heartfelt AMERICANS! TRAILER HOMES, NOT TENTS. For heaven sake let someone else overseer the money on how its spent. For the people sak. Please help the seniors quickly. For God so love the World that He gave His only begotten Son....God loves HAITi!!!!

Lori   January 21st, 2010 12:24 am ET

In regards to the senate, why can't they not be a party at all and get business done. We the people are tired of hearing about what each party wants or gets for concessions if they agree on certain things. Just grow up and work together. It is called national peace and world peace not party peace!!!!! Bad role models for our kids and hard to have faith in any part of the government., I grew up with an uncle as a state senator for years. Everything I witnessed is a bunch of 2year olds fighting over a toy. It is hard to even vote or have faith in the senate. They need to remember the "GOLDEN RULE" that we are taught in kindergarten. I am very confused!!! The only reason the senate people are there is because we the people voted them in office. omg no more party politics and deceiving and lies and pointing the finger, Get the people's business done or get out!!!!

A. Smith, Oregon   January 21st, 2010 12:30 am ET

Thousands of new and used FEMA trailers should be loaded up on barges and given to the Haitian people!

American People need to demand accountability not only from the Aid Agencys providing relief to the Haitian people, but also their Congress and US Senators that supposedly gave Haiti hundreds of millions of dollars for economic aid these past 8 years alone.

Desperate Haitian people will be forced to deal with Malaria from mosquito's that explode during the month of May onward. Hundreds of thousands of Army surplus tropical Hammocks with mosquito netting should be procured and shipped to Haiti to help with temporary shelter.

luckybee   January 21st, 2010 1:10 am ET

I don't think Haïtian children will be very happy in this cold land of ours?
They are not build for this climate; but for hot country's, like Central Amerika or Afrika.They are cute but they don't belong here.And every cent we give to the Haïtians will disappeard, in the pokets of the ex Ton Ton Macoute. They will experiancing a rebirth.with our monney.

luckybee   January 21st, 2010 1:14 am ET

Like everywhere in Afrika, where the only people who have a benefit from our monney , are the war lords, we only help them to opressed theyr victimes.Most of them all non moslims or non Communist,

Kidelle Ojasmar, Florida   January 21st, 2010 1:18 am ET

I was looking for a word, just a single word to thank you and I found none. I was watching CNN the past Monday and I had noticed that great show you had put together to raise money for Haiti. On behalf of my family I thank you for that tremendous effort. May God Bless you, your family and your staff. I have three words for you: you are GREAT.
Thank you, think you and think you!

byron macdonald   January 21st, 2010 1:34 am ET

would someone compare the salarys of the ceo of the american red cross and the salvation army... one is big business .the other true charity...your money will actually go to the people needing it with the salvation amy!

A. Smith, Oregon   January 21st, 2010 1:45 am ET

America is sending an additional 4,000 US Military troops to Haiti! What's the point? and Why? The Haitians need heavy equipment to clear the roads, rebuild its Port au Prince harbor, they need very few people walking around with Machine Guns! Yet, someone made the decision to send 4,000 more soldiers with machine guns to walk the streets of Haiti!

Other countrys are repeatedly asking why American air-traffic controllers are repeatedly turning away foreign aid relief flights into Port au Prince. And are now openly questioning the motives and competence of America being able to handle the air-traffic in and out of Port au Prince properly or not.

Bonnie Wilkins   January 21st, 2010 9:56 am ET

I am Samuel Chancelet's new grandmother and I wish for you all to know that this journey that Joe and Jill are on is not a spur of the moment decision. They have been working for over three years to adopt a child from Haiti and Samuel was proposed for them in December 2008. It has been a long and heartbreaking time, especially with the earthquake and not knowing if they would ever be able to bring their baby home. Joe and Jill have been to Haiti two times for lengthy visits and of course Joe is there now to help at the orphange and to hopefully bring Samuel home with him God willing.

The Larry King Live show has done wonders in helping Joe and Jill get the word out about the red tape, and dead ends in international adoption. It is surely a miracle that Samuel may now be allowed to come home to his "forever" family. Thank you so much Larry and all of your staff. Please stay with the Haitian people as they rebuild and put their lives back together.

steve clark   January 21st, 2010 1:44 pm ET

Larry,
We hear all the good things that Americans are doing for Haiti.
What are all the other countries doing to step up to the plate! Are they all helping and how much?
Steve Clark Fort Lauderdale Fla.

LHaitienne   January 22nd, 2010 12:21 am ET

Larry,

Thank you for all your cry and support to the cause of Haiti. We, Haitians, all over the world thank everyone for their support to our country. I already send it my contributions to different organizations. But, Larry, please pass it on to all, tell them to make sure every penny is accounted for. They should spend it to create infrastructure, hospitals, medicines (for kids and adults), FOOD, DRINK, good public schools ALL OVER HAITI and uncluttering of Port-Au-Prince by building houses not tents on every town so residents can move back to their hometown. Better police force that will not shoot someone in the back after picking up a bag of rice which fell from a moving truck, DON'T HAND OUT CASH TO THE GOVERNMENT.

Larry, "mèsi bocou pou bretelles yo."Larry, "thank you for the suspenders."

Audrey Fahey   January 22nd, 2010 1:44 am ET

How unfair the media can be. Tiger Wood is a sinner, star's are sinners and so are you Larry. God forgives, but the media convicts.
Is this what the American people are paying for to hear. Is it no wonder that the weak retaliate so strongly?,.
I am a Canadian and I love Americans, but I truly believe that the American people are no better respected by their government than the Haitian people. Whatever brings a buck...tough luck!
You can't help your own, how are you going to help the Haitians?
Beg for the donations and pay the piper.
The Haitian people in their desperation vandelize and steel to merely eat and feed their family while the rich feed off a desaster. How sick is this world becoming.
Mr. King, your suspenders have become valuable under the expense of many lives. Do you feel good about that? Those who bought your suspenders will profit more than the poor Hatians will. GOD BLESS YOU!

Donald L Allen   January 22nd, 2010 2:32 am ET

what is wrong is it wrong to tell the true or you mad because you or not me than what now that there talking about poor black there not Pathetic no more and there not ridiculous no more and maybe it well help to bring up thing like this at such a good time Excite you or make you feel good you see what I mean well it a way you talk so it OK to talk about what you want but or you rely she re what I can do do you no what I do is it a gas or you share you no or you rely share you no or not what can I do to make it weirs tell me please let me no Larry King I no what I do and I also no what you do not do but watch what you say from now on ma be way sued I help even if I con way you let me no cas I don't no you must first badge see you Larry be good I say Donald

Donald L Allen   January 22nd, 2010 4:36 am ET

Larry I did not call or TeX I don,t no how you or talking about but I no it was not me I don't have texting you no it was parable the people of the country but it was not me make it plan I no people that run ran on there wive of not good four the US congress and they don't need a job there that is what I no you sued no it to I see thing the right way not just the way people like to see it the truce is the true and a lie is what people like to see but it sued not be like that see you be good I don,t have a lot of fun to give I,M sorry but it like that see Donald L Allen hop you can read it like I see it

marie   January 22nd, 2010 6:58 am ET

please could you help me ?i am haitian american citizen.i would like to adopt the last little boy found in the rubbles tuesday or wenesday.i heard his mom is dead.i can not stopped thinking about him.
thank you.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter