CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

December 23, 2009

5 Questions with a bearded Sting

Posted: 10:24 AM ET

Sting took some time out of his concert stop at New York's Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine to talk to us about his Christmas memories, and the mystique of winter.  His new album, "If On A Winter's Night," is available now.  Sting will also be performing on the LKL Christmas music show, airing Dec. 23rd.  We taped the performance earlier this week and it's incredible.

LKL Blog: What are your fondest childhood holiday memories?

Sting: I think when it snowed it made my little gray industrial town into this magical landscape. And I used to work with my daddy on the milk grounds, so we were the first people at 5 in the morning to disturb the snow. So that memory for me was magical, even though it was cold, and after a few hours I was pretty miserable. When we first went out there it was great. I still love the snow.

LKL Blog: What do you like to do to celebrate the holidays now?

Sting: My greatest Christmas gift is for my six children to come home, and we sit around the fire, and we talk about what's happened to us in the year, and what we've done, and what we hope to achieve next year. Just sitting with them, with the fire on, and a few dogs around, that's the greatest gift I could ever have.

LKL Blog: Why did you decide to do an album centered on the winter season?

Sting: The record company said to me, "Why don't you do a Christmas record," and I said, "I'm not really into Frosty the Snowman, I don't really like Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer, and I'm not that into Santa Clause." So I said why don't we consider doing an album about the winter, because it's a very rich season. It's full of imagery, ghosts and spirits, and magical stories. So I said let me do that. So I spent 6 months doing research, looking at songs from many centuries, many different kind of genres - folk songs, classical songs, sacred songs. We ended up with "If On A Winter's Night" and it's doing incredibly well, much better than anyone expected. I'm thrilled.

LKL Blog: What do you like to do in winter?

Sting: Well, I ski, I snowboard, I love to walk. I like to walk with my dogs in the snow. I like the winter. It's a season that's important for reflection. Animals hibernate, humans reflect.

LKL Blog: And are you now sporting the beard for winter warmth?

Sting: Last year I was in an opera in Paris, and I was the star, and I played Dionysis, the Greek God, so they made me get this beard, and I kind of liked it. My wife breeds Irish wolfhounds, so it's not so far removed from the dogs, so it gets me more affection.

Filed under: 5 Questions • LKL Web Exclusive • Music • Sting

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:03 pm ET

Hi Larry why were these guys permited to run loose in America.

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:05 pm ET

Good Evening Larry!

Very sad, if it is true, our teens joining terrorists

@ michael armstrong sr. TX.

Good evening again :~)

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:07 pm ET

Hi Dodie you know a good rain dance dont hurt nothing .

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:09 pm ET

@ michael armstrong sr. TX.

Awe, I thought I would leave the rain dancing to you! I heard you were very good at it!

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:13 pm ET

Dodie i bet you didnt think i remember you said you had indian blood in you .

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:17 pm ET

Man the point is they could have desided to attack America instead of Pakistan and they were already here to do so.

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:19 pm ET

Obamas doing the right thing if anyone ever offers you free money take it.

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:23 pm ET

Dodie I would come to California and do the rain dance with you but i have work to do here keeping Larry straight.

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:29 pm ET

Our country is stuck overseas in Satans Garden feeding the ground with American soal's if they want to give Obama the nobel prize for that then it shows they have a screw loose take the money and run.

kat   December 9th, 2009 10:30 pm ET

Larry, unlike many, President Obama has already contributed the million dollars to CHARITY! Why has that not made news? Why is his travel so questionable? Why can't the media for once stop dishing dirty and dish kindness and truth at soem point?

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:30 pm ET

Hey Michael... I would love that... you could do a rain dance

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:32 pm ET

The middle east has earnd the name Satans Garden.

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:32 pm ET

Sorry Michael, I got dumped off the internet. OUCH!!!

I read you were in Iraq! When was that?

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:35 pm ET

michael, white people can do rain dances too... not just us!

Ron from PA   December 9th, 2009 10:35 pm ET

Stefanie Miller–you are right on with your comments about President Obama!

The conservative's nonsense about President Obama setting an exit date is just that–absolute nonsense! The date merely sets a time frame to assess what is happening on the ground and then he and his administration can decide whether to stay in or to leave.

Setting a date lets our troops know that the war will not go on forever and it lets the Afganistan people know this as well–so that they will have to get to the point where they can handle this themselves.

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:36 pm ET

michael, you could do a rain dance and have Larry tape it ............lol

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:37 pm ET

I was in Iran Iraq and every wheres else we could go and police the world Squids move around alot I have the exspeditions from Iran 1980 the navy marine sea duty and small arms .all from the Satans Garden.

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:38 pm ET

Ron from PA
well said... I agree with that

Ron from PA   December 9th, 2009 10:39 pm ET

Sarah Palin's comments that President Obama should boycott the Copenhagen conference are further confirmation of just how shallow she really is. As if we needed more confirmation of this?

Maybe she can see Copenhagen from her house. 🙂

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:40 pm ET

Sorry my brother inlaw is rambling distracting me.

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:40 pm ET

While you were there, did you ever get a chance to meet the local people?

michel Croto   December 9th, 2009 10:41 pm ET

NObel Prize on earth to men (OBAMA) of good will!

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:41 pm ET

Tell that girl to go out side you could ride a snowmobile from the east coast to the west how do you exsplane that.

Ron from PA   December 9th, 2009 10:43 pm ET

Larry, I urge you to have Robert Kennedy, Jr. on your show again now that we are in the midst of the Copenhagen conference.

Ben Stein knows about as much about the environment as Sarah Palin.
In other words, he knows absolutely nothing about it, so why ask for his opinion on this?

michel Croto   December 9th, 2009 10:43 pm ET

Nobel Prize on earth to men(OBAMA) of good will!

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:43 pm ET

Dodie absolutly they were verry friendly .

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:44 pm ET

Awe Michael, no need to ever apologize in here.... that was sweet... eeekkk you will ruin your reputation....

--------

Global warming is a fact! The earth has a long history of fluxuating from warm periods to ice ages. It is not entirely due to humans; however, the continued increase in human population places undue stress on our resources, planet and excess co2. Every human alive creates a ‘footprint’ on the planet. If we don’t seriously make some major changes, we will ultimately pay the consequences.

No one knows how much Co2 can be emitted into the atmosphere before the ripple effect will be catastrophic. However, I much prefer to error on the side of conservative. I would push for more scientific data. If global warming is not because of man, well then we are s--!!!

If you do not believe in global warming, purchase some iceberg property? Better yet, go live on an iceberg and see for yourself!

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:46 pm ET

@ Ron from PA

Awe Ron, don't be so hard on Sara. Remember, she knows Russia because she can see it from her home. I wonder if she could see Copenhagen or does she even know where it is!

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:47 pm ET

Michael,

Isn't it interesting... the people of the country are always nice and the government stinks. That is what other people of other countries say about us. I am sure you have come across that yourself too......

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:48 pm ET

The local area merchants around here are buying snowmobiles they believe in Al so much and I live in Texas.

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:48 pm ET

PLeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease

Nixon started the HMOs with Kaiser! Ugh!

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:50 pm ET

Laughing... CNN that was great. Just too funny

michael armstrong sr. TX.   December 9th, 2009 10:50 pm ET

Ya Dodie at the time my kill switch was turnd to Iranians now my switch is on stanby.

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:51 pm ET

Michael... snowmobiles? in Texas? now that is really funny

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:52 pm ET

Michael... well I am glad it is on standby!

Ron from PA   December 9th, 2009 10:55 pm ET

Stephanie Miller is so right–the conservatives and the oil companies have funded professors at various universities and funded their "institutes" within these universities to put out an opposing view on global warming so that the right can claim that there is not yet a consensus on the issue of global warming.

If anyone has any doubt about the conservatives funding these rogue professors, read Robert Kennedy Jr.'s book "Crimes Against Nature" or simply Google his views on the topic.

The fact is that the vast majority of all climatologists are in agreement that climate change is happening, the planet is getting warmer at a fairly rapid rate and that HUMANS are causing this.

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 10:59 pm ET

The first kill is always the most difficult

Dodie - CA   December 9th, 2009 11:00 pm ET

Ron

I just purchased Crimes Against Nature. I plan to start reading it soon.

Good night Larry King and staff

Have a wonderful evening

R J   December 10th, 2009 12:04 am ET

Larry I see that you may see the foolishness of this war
but sadly your panelists tonite were very shortsighted
and capricious in their comments about Afghanistan.
Here we have Obama trusting McChrystal of all people
to run the show, after 8 years of failure, the calling off
of The Chase for Phantom Bin Laden, and scandals like the Tillman
Incident in which he lied to America. And the policy Obama
has laid out now is still a mixed up mess. Were suppose to be
marching district to district to be helping people who have
Nothing, handing them food ,money & cigarettes– yet these people are supposed to be a threat to bring down the United States in America ?
Meanwhile we’re still bombing and adding to their rubble , so we can rebuild what we just blew up ? ….They won’t get anywhere because Gates says we must lead these folks to want to fight for themselves yet they obviously could care less about fighting for Karzai and his gang.

Something is very rotten here and this time it’s not in Denmark,
It’s in the District of Columbia.

Joanne   December 10th, 2009 12:18 am ET

@Ron from PA--Obama set a withdrawal date to appease the liberal group of Democrats who want us to pull out of Afghanistan. He knew they would be upset with his sending more troops. That was the only reason but, of course, he will assess the situation at that time.

Joanne   December 10th, 2009 12:21 am ET

Kaiser has done a lot of good things in healthcare. Many times, their studies and practices have been adopted elsewhere due to their successes in managing patients with chronic illnesses. If we can thank Nixon for that, that's good thing. Like him or not, he was a very intelligent man. Like many intelligent people, just didn't always have the best judgment.

thomas   December 23rd, 2009 4:02 pm ET

Sting has 6 children,,wow ...he can afford tham..he seems down to earth, think he has sung w/Luciano Pavarotti ...

William   December 23rd, 2009 11:41 pm ET

I enjoyed the music that was played tonight ( 12/23/09 ) by Sting. There was one piece that I really enjoyed " Soul Cake ". Can this song,including others, can be found on a DVD?

William

angela   December 24th, 2009 1:12 am ET

It is so nice to hear Sting singing a beautiful madrigal, he is so talented and has a lovely voice. I prefer this Sting over the one that does VS shows.

Ralph Miller, Dallas, Texas   December 28th, 2009 10:40 pm ET

Hi, Larry!

All the comments about increasing security because of the "Underware Bomber" ignore that he took his bomb onto the plane in Africa or Europe. Nothing is being said about increasing security in foreign countries.

Don't know if he changed planes in Amsterdam. The barn door needed closing outside the US.

Best,

Ralph Miller
Dallas, Texas

Donald Allen   December 29th, 2009 10:20 am ET

Yahoo Larry what you think about the bull you here on the US about the right of the US sit son well you no what I,M saying there trying to get control over what every we do as we speck and there not invited to see it there not trust water and if I was up there in the with host I wood put a stop to the bull crap cas that is all it is that is all you here from them and as fair as we no there working with all cites be in control aver all America so maybe they need to feed the bull to sum one that want to here it cas it all just a big lie as fair as we no it see what I say Larry king see you well Larry See you

Donald Allen   December 29th, 2009 11:35 am ET

Here the way it is you or a small business ween you sued be big business the US want to no what you or doing and they want to spy on you and than they want to crash you steam ween they learn what you or doing is title of the shovelful of what the US call the privet sever the richer of the US and at this time the work I have on here has nutting to do with richer of the US or me but maybe I just don,t want other to see it right now and if it was you wood problem see it in the marketplace but you wood not see me getting the credit for it see that is the way the US work I get nutting they on the other hand get the credit for what I do here and you no it not right see were I,M coming from see I no this or I wood not say so thanks LeeBot hop you no what I mean see you Larry King the US can Make what every Low but I see there on the wrong side of the LOW so I well not trust them see you Donald L Allen Larry King Live I dont Lie

Donald Allen   December 29th, 2009 11:49 am ET

so what you well see is the US well try to keep stilling from me and I well do what it take to stop them see what I say Larry but they may see me get the upper hand and than they well be sorry cas than I well not give them the time of day it wood take to kill them you no not meeting I wood do it I,M just saying see were I,M at ween they need me see you Larry Donald

Ralph Miller, Dallas, Texas   December 29th, 2009 11:54 am ET

Donald Allen has a hard time making his point. I have no idea what he is trying to say. Just rambles and think he is unhappy. So are many people. Learn to live with it! RM

Dodie   January 3rd, 2010 8:53 pm ET

@ Ralph Miller, Dallas, Texas

Donald seems to be very dyslexic. His spelling indicates his dyslexia. I can read and understand what he is saying as I have the same condition. I just chose to work at it. For people without this condition, it must be very frustrating. It is equally as frustrating for us to communicate through writing.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter