CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

December 15, 2009

Michelle Obama's popularity on rise in new poll

Posted: 04:25 PM ET

By Mark Preston

Washington (CNN) – Michelle Obama's stock is on the rise as more Americans approve of how she is handling her role as first lady now than they did 10 months ago, according to a new Marist College Poll.

The survey shows that 57 percent of registered voters approve of Obama's performance as first lady, up 7 points from a Marist poll conducted in March. Twenty-four percent said it has been fair, while 10 percent thought she is doing a poor job.

But Obama is not viewed as a transformative first lady. Only 37 percent said she has changed the role for the better, while 46 responded she has done nothing to change it. Another 10 percent said Obama has changed it for the worse, while 7 percent were unsure.

The poll of 858 registered voters was conducted on December 2, 3 and 7. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percent.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Politics • Polls

Dodie - California   December 15th, 2009 7:51 pm ET

Michelle Obama is beautiful, intelligent, gracious, supportive, sociable and from listening to her talk, cares for family, this country and our people. What’s not to like!!!

JBM   December 15th, 2009 8:51 pm ET

Michelle Obama is younger than Laura Bush which no doubt appeals to many but I think they have similar qualities and both care about their families, the country, children, military families, education, etc. It's good we have another very popular First Lady.

Expat American   December 15th, 2009 9:18 pm ET

Michelle Obama is educated, intelligent, well spoken, and classy. It's nice to see such a refined First Lady.

Idzan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia   December 15th, 2009 9:44 pm ET

I will like to see her running for president in 2016 with Hillary Clinton.
Do not discount the possibility she will be President one day.

Joanne   December 15th, 2009 10:12 pm ET

It's nice to see her ratings up again. As JBM said, she reminds me of Laura Bush with her interests and causes. Soon her ratings will be in the 80's+ as was Laura's. I think part of their popularity is that each is "her own person" separate from their spouses.

Mike Malsbary   December 15th, 2009 11:17 pm ET

Sorry Larry, this is the only spot I could put this- Big cheer for the President and First Lady-wonderful job, keep fighting..here's my post: Lets see if I've got this right. NYT survey-54% have cut back on medical care-47% have no coverage. Some poll indicted 50% didn't approve of the President's Health care plan. Who'd they call? The people who need health care have lost or didn't have a phone..They weren't in the survey! Congress can't pass a decent health care plan that would serve the majority of Americans because of a minority of old politicals...and... Americans are really really scared because a few terrorists are being jailed in a maximum security prison located in a small mid western town, while the American court systems are so over loaded that very dangerous felons roam the streets in growing numbers. Lets get a grip people. Mike-PA

Mark My Words   December 16th, 2009 1:55 am ET

I'm glad to see it. She's the only Liberal right now who's numbers are going up.

Diane Wilson   December 16th, 2009 6:26 am ET

Like her husband, she has EVERTHING one could wish for.
They both command respect and affection.
How envious we are in South Africa with the pathetic presidents and wives (plural) that we are stuck with!

Dodie   December 16th, 2009 1:07 pm ET

@ Diane Wilson

Thank you for clarity of thought and good insight! I always find it unbelievable that many Americans cannot see past their noses! While I attribute this to ignorance, brainwashing or the ‘buying into’ effect; I also see how pathetic we are as a group. I am sorry to hear of your country’s plight! I hope you will someday redeem the homeostasis you deserve.

penny   December 16th, 2009 2:26 pm ET

I love the designers she chooses !

JBM   December 16th, 2009 5:04 pm ET

@Diane Wilson
i can appreciate that someone from South Africa would fully support the Obama's but in America, like every country, no political figure is perfect and for that matter, nor is any human. I am sure there are those in SA who like your presidents and those who do not. But living in America, I would never find myself in a position to approve or disapprove your government as I am not close enough to have anything more than a perception. For the most part, we've had good presidents and certainly wonderful First Ladies. However, many who are brainwashed are unwilling to say a kind word about a First Lady unless they love her spouse. That is rather sad as each should stand on his/her own merits.
South Africa is beautiful so hopefully you enjoy many things about it even with your disappointments.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter