CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

December 8, 2009

CBS cancels 'As the World Turns'

Posted: 02:36 PM ET

By Michael Ausiello via Entertainment Weekly

And then there were six.

The ailing soap industry took another hit this morning with the announcement that CBS has canceled As the World Turns. The show will end its 54-year run in September.

The move, which comes just three months after CBS bid adieu to Guiding Light, will leave just six soaps on the air. The number could soon shrink to five if ABC axes One Life to Live, as has been rumored.

“We are disappointed and saddened by the news that the show is not being renewed,” said ATWT exec producer Chris Goutman in a statement.  ”It will certainly be a loss for all of us, and for the show’s loyal audience.”

Producers are shopping the show around to other outlets, but don’t hold your breath. A similar effort was mounted for GL, and we saw how well that worked out.

ATWT’s demise wasn’t unexpected, but it still stings. As you probably know, I got my start covering soaps. In fact, my first college internship was at ATWT. To watch the once-mighty industry wither away like this is beyond depressing.

Filed under: Entertainment

jacqueline\nl   December 8th, 2009 2:46 pm ET

OMG why i loved this soap we seen this for so many years now in holland plz dont stop ATWT

James Deagle   December 8th, 2009 4:40 pm ET

The only thing more sadly missed than the show itself will be the fantastic headline opportunity for this story that was squandered:

"World Stops Turning"

Toni   December 8th, 2009 4:44 pm ET

I am 46 and can remember watching both the "Guiding Light" and "ATWT" as a little girl with my mom, and have continued watching faithfully tp this day. I am just heartbroken that they are taking BOTH shows away from us (loyal and faithful audience), and replacing them with more talk shows. I am so sad 😦 I hardly even watch tv anymore cause it is turning to crap.

Dodie   December 8th, 2009 6:01 pm ET

Sounds like good news to me.

TRUE -TO-YOU   December 8th, 2009 6:27 pm ET

@MJPYT
I HAVE AN ILLNESS THIS I NO
AND I CAN NOT MAKE IT GO
WHATS THIS ILLNESS I HEAR YOU CHIME
I CANNOT SPEAK WITHOUT A RHYME
WHEN I TRY AND SPEAK A LINE
I FIND MYSELF BACK IN RHYME
THATS NOT SO BAD I SEE YOU BEAM
I EVEN RHYME WHEN IM IN DREAM

Deb n Texas   December 8th, 2009 8:40 pm ET

Good, they should have done that 40 years ago. GO CBS!

still me just a new name   December 8th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

I do not watch soap opera's...so I guess I really do not have a comment other than I guess they will all be canceled eventually with the birth of reality t.v.

A. Smith, Oregon   December 9th, 2009 12:05 am ET

Hmm, seems like Gilligan's Island lived a very long time on syndication networks pumped domestically and overseas. But then, I really don't watch soap opera's per say. Nonetheless, it seemed to enjoy a good long run.

Nicole S. -- North Carolina   December 9th, 2009 1:12 am ET

No disrespect to you, Dodie, but do you ever have anything positive to say?

Lea   December 9th, 2009 5:54 pm ET

What no Carly and Jack? No Holden and Lilly? What will I do? I've watched them for over twenty years. Yikes. I can't handle another talk show. Reruns it is.

Lori - Justice For Michael   December 9th, 2009 6:59 pm ET

@Toni– I am a bit older than you and I , too, have those memories. My mom has watched ATWT since day one. While we were growing up...ATWT signaled lunch time at our house....

How can they cancel ATWT? Some classics deserve to remain because they are classics. I am with you Toni... 😦 This is heart breaking news for my mom.

Maybe it will get a reprieve on the Soap Opera Network?

SAVE ATWT!!!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter