CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

December 3, 2009

Life on unemployment

Posted: 07:58 PM ET
Family: Wife and two children
Former job: Marketing director
Hometown: Boulder, Colo.

Jim Kelley"Last fall I was laid off from my position as marketing director at a Boulder, Colo.-based company. I feel I have a very strong resume, but after five months, I am still looking for my next job.

My wife is a genetic counselor working a part-time job, and her employer covers our health insurance. We just have a negative cash flow.

Thankfully, I do have my unemployment check, but at just over $400 per week, we're not making ends meet. In the years leading up to my layoff we did everything we were supposed to: We put away six months salary in savings; we bought a house within our means; and we had no credit card debt.

But as time ticks by, our savings account is disappearing. To slow the decline, we cut all unnecessary spending. Mortgage payment, food and gas. We're trying to keep our financial situation from harming my two kids as much as possible.

Our kids are our priority. Suzanne and I can, have, and will continue to make the sacrifices. We want to do the little things we can do to protect our children from the 'adult problems' of the current economic situation. We know we'll land on our feet. With our children at such a critical stage in their development, we just want to make sure they do, too." - as told to Julianne Pepitone

(Read More Stories from readers at CNNMoney.com)

Filed under: Economy • Larry King Live

JS   December 3rd, 2009 10:55 pm ET

What is the name of the Tony Robbins Book???

carebear   December 3rd, 2009 11:52 pm ET

My heart goes out to this dear family, and to others facing similar circumstances. Please know that there is always hope. Although, today may look bleak, there are many better days ahead.

JudyG   December 4th, 2009 4:12 am ET

Lets hope there are better days coming. I am unemployed too and it is hard for us seniors who are out there looking they don't want the older folks so what are you to do except to keep praying and lighting candles.

Dodie   December 4th, 2009 5:46 am ET

I thought I would have never lived to see hard working families not only losing their jobs, but their homes and everything else in the USA. It makes you wonder where the heck our priorities are.

@ JudyG

Keep looking. There is a job out there somewhere just for you! I wish you the best of luck. My heart goes out to you in these difficult times.

Ted   December 4th, 2009 10:25 am ET

Over the years I have seen many women who was bored so went shopping and bought not needed items, because it was 30% cheaper! Buying saved 30%, however not buying would have saved 100%!!

Empires come and they go and the high days of our country are over! We must get used to buying less and cooking more at home.
Do you want to create jobs? Buy american made items when possible. Every time you buy a japanese or german car, chinese or korean TV, shoes made in Brazil or China, you not only help to destroy a job in the USA, but send our dollars to foreign businesses.
Who are quilty of destroying factories and jobs in the USA? We, the consumers, who want everything cheap!

Dodie   December 4th, 2009 1:01 pm ET

@ Ted

Ah, Ted, just love your logic. Spoken by a true financier! So pragmatic and of course obvious! I only wish our country would do the same.

Gerald Jolly   December 4th, 2009 2:34 pm ET

IS THIS TRUE???

The U.S. MINT is considering changing the MOTTO on our money from "IN GOD WE TRUST" to "IN GREED WE TRUST"

"PLEASE SAY IT IS'NT SO"

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter