CNN TV
SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

November 30, 2009

Ed Rollins: Prosecute the White House party crashers

Posted: 09:02 AM ET

The gate crashers Michaele and Tareq Salahi want to be famous as stars of reality television. I am all for that. Give them a reality television series and call it "Trial and Jailtime" in the D.C. criminal justice system.

This despicable, desperate, duplicitous couple disgraced the Secret Service and embarrassed the president in his home. They totally overshadowed the president's meeting with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, the leader of an important ally. The incident made the Obamas' first state dinner, honoring the prime minister and his wife, Gursharan Kaur, fodder for comedians - and it certainly raises security concerns for other world leaders visiting at later dates.

The gate-crashers need to be held accountable and not glorified.

Unless they have some excuse we haven't heard yet, the Salahis deserve to be charged with criminal trespassing and lying to federal officers for starters. Yes, they dressed for the occasion, but the Salahis are no different, and shouldn't be regarded any differently, than a nut case who jumps over the White House fence and tries to run in the front door.

The only difference is that the fence-jumper would be shot ten feet from his entrance point. I worked in a couple of White Houses and have always had the greatest respect for the Secret Service. These men and women put their lives on the line daily and often serve in long and tedious tours of duty.

(Read More)

Filed under: President Barack Obama

Ted   November 30th, 2009 9:46 am ET

Yes, by all means they should be prosecuted and thought that freedom doesn´t mean you can do just anything you want.

On the other hand we are making out of our presidents quasi royal beings whose well being and security is above all other interests. European countries also have heads of states, they are also guarded, however they do not make such a fuss about them as we do.
They have or had Kings and Emperors and we not, so are we trying to create such a position for our elected head of state? Are we longing for an Emperor? I hope not!

Anne   November 30th, 2009 11:07 am ET

I posted this blog myself as a comment yesterday because I agree with every word Ed Rollins wrote. I have become an Ed Rollins fan this year because of what he said in CNN's Wolf Blitzer show about Michael Jackson after MJ died this summer. Ed Rollins gave such an incredibly positive and respectful description of MIchael Jackson and his visit to the White House when MJ was being honored by President Reagan. He said how gracious MJ was meeting all the staffers and how excited they all were to meet him. He went on to say that they were all give free tickets to his concert at RFK and it was the most exciting performance he had ever seen. Ed Rollins was a big MJ fan!

Michael Jackson was also honored for his humanitarian work and public service by President Carter, and President Bush I, and President Clinton.

missy   November 30th, 2009 11:36 am ET

This is a blackeye to this country. Anytime two wanna-bees can stroll in our White House. To get a tv show. I shudder when I think what could have happen . America can not supply security for the President. Than what must other countries feel now. Surely visits, important meetings are at danger at this point. There should not be a grey area in this matter.Heads should roll and people should be replaced. If any Network give these disrespectful two a show. I promise that I will boycott the network and the sponsors.Ps, I thought more of the Secret Service than this, their no secret now.........

still me just a new name   November 30th, 2009 12:41 pm ET

"and it certainly raises security concerns for other world leaders visiting at later dates."
______________

Yes... this couple should be charged with criminal charges...others will hopefully see that doing or trying to do things like this will not be tolerated...how ever as bad a stunt as this was it did open the eyes of the security surrounding the President and his family...I know that security will forever do a better job protecting him and other world leaders.

Angela   November 30th, 2009 1:45 pm ET

I was very disgusted to hear that Larry King was going to give this nut job of a couple the publicity they so desperately crave. It is not a little story that everyone want to hear about Mr. King. This crazy couple could have taken out the pres. and vice pres. with any number of weapons not made of metal. And you want to put them on tv to laugh and smile about getting that close to the leaders of the free world and showing any other crazy fools how easy it was. Are you sick. This is as bad as the Atlanta journal doing a full page spread on how to make drugs pictures and all. and yes that happened. As a news man you should have some limits on some things you all have just gone off the scale Im sick of all of this rediculous coverage of anything. Miss the good old days when news men had standards and better judgement. I would have had so much respect for you it you had refused them air time because of the seriousness of their crime. I am not the only person who feels this way believe that.

A. Smith, Oregon   November 30th, 2009 3:48 pm ET

Of course prosecute the couple, However DO NOT give the green light to Secret Service to be more heavy handed than they already are!

The Secret Service already routinely operates in a very heavy handed manner, innocent bystanders are going to get their arms and wrists broken by the Secret Service if the public approves them to take it up a notch!

Junie   November 30th, 2009 8:24 pm ET

Hmmmmmm! Check and balance?......Somehow, the White House tends not to be able to have a check and balance system with anything!

Stacy Gedney   November 30th, 2009 10:39 pm ET

I do believe they are true " scammers" - I have worked events w/ them. Needless to say they make times much harder than it needs to be.... I am a caterer & restaurant owner (Element & 2g Restaurant). They hired me to cater several events & unbelievably hard to work with. I do wish them any harm. I do believe they will try what ever it takes to get noticed.

dawnmarie   November 30th, 2009 11:13 pm ET

This is a TOTAL disrespect to The President of the USA and the President of India – who do they think they are. They need to be punish. I agree with Ed Rollins in this article.

Tom Joyce   December 1st, 2009 1:02 am ET

They absolutely should be punished and an investigation into the security lapse should be undertaken. This should not ever happen again – it's a joke on WH security.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter