CNN TV
SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

November 29, 2009

Tiger Woods: Wife Elin 'Acted Courageously'

Posted: 08:08 PM ET

By Charlotte Triggs via People.com

The Presidents Cup- Final Round

Tiger Woods is speaking out about the car crash Friday that set off a stream of salacious rumors about his marriage to Elin Nordegren – and allegations that he cheated with a New York club hostess Rachel Uchitel.

Speaking about the event, which occurred just feet from the driveway of his Florida home, the golf champion, 33, broke his silence and wrote on his Web site Sunday: "This situation is my fault and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me. I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again."

As for the rumors, including speculation that he and his wife may have had a physical altercation following a report published in the National Enquirer that he had an affair, Woods demurred. "This is a private matter and I want to keep it that way," he said. "Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible."

(Read More)

In this photo: Tiger Woods, Elin Woods

Photo: Scott Halleran/Getty Images

For more photos visit Life.com

Filed under: Larry King Live

Dodie   November 29th, 2009 9:53 pm ET

Granted Tiger Woods certainly has a right to his privacy. There is no disputing that issue.

However, hitting a fire hydrant and a tree on the same block he lives on, raises some concern about his driving abilities regardless of the cause. I would lay odds, any of us who did the same act would not only have the police down our throats, they would be doing an immediate toxicology screen and potential arrest for being dangerous to others.

pat davis   November 29th, 2009 10:05 pm ET

Tiger Woods and his wife were fighting, she chased him down the driveway with a golf club in his SUV, he crashed speeding away from her! This crap about her saving him by breaking the window and pulling out of the BACK of the SUV is ridiculous! What is she Wonder Woman? It's 2:25 a.m. she hears him crash from the inside and her first thought is to grab a golf club to save him! Yeah, okay!

Anne   November 29th, 2009 10:56 pm ET

Whether a poor man hits his wife, or a rich woman hits her husband, domestic abuse can be fatal and devastating for the children. Covering up what happened is harmful to everybody involved. It can go on a long time before it becomes apparent to other people that it is going on. Should Rihanna have blamed herself for what Chris Brown did to her? It is all the same thing. Rich or poor, male or female. Violence against your spouse is inexcusable and very dangerous and a crime. Telling the truth can help a lot of other people by showing them you don't have to put up with someone hitting you for any reason even if you are man.

MsNomer n AZ   November 29th, 2009 11:00 pm ET

LOL

Gerald Jolly   November 30th, 2009 12:03 am ET

Good GOD, the man went out to get some milk for his baby.

There's nothing more to it than that.

He was still half asleep, C'mon thousand do it evey day.

What's the big deal, dont read into it any more than that.

"SPECULATION" is usually built on lies.

John H.   November 30th, 2009 12:41 am ET

In my opinion, Gerald Jolly is closest to to the truth. I spent eleven years as an Auto Claims Adjuster for a local insurance company and have taken countless recorded statements during that time. I like to think that I have heard every excue imaginable but there was always someone who would prove me wrong. Some of the funnier excuses were "I was just driving down this quiet country road minding my business when this this tree just jumped out and hit me." Then there was the road rage incident where one of the driver's claimed "I was just trying to get away from that other idiot who was trying to drive faster than me." Oh yes, and you wouldn't believe how many other drivers just came out of nowhere. I never realized how large a population the city of "Nowhere" had until I started taking statements. My point is simply that 10's of thousands of accidents happen every week and most often the reporting officer will simply put down what he saw and heard at the scene. He may even state his opinion about the probable cause of the accident but rarely will the police follow up on an accident which involved simple property damage or minor injury to the driver of a one car accident. What is happening here is not ordinary, in my opinion, but simply an overreaction on many peoples part because it involves a well known celebrity who has no known previous history of misbehavior. If a crime was comitted here, I suggest everyone relax and let nature take it's course.

Dodie   November 30th, 2009 2:04 am ET

@ John H

LOL You must have heard them all... stories that is.

So California is too uptight! The police pull people over and arrest them daily as I can see it when I drive by. Maybe I should move to a nicer place with friendly police! : ~ )

claudia   November 30th, 2009 4:43 am ET

What ever transpired between Tiger and his wife, I hope he remembers, what comes around, goes around! May they spend many more happy years together.

Anne   November 30th, 2009 11:00 am ET

If Joe Smith had hit a fire hydrant and a tree at 2:30 am, you can be sure his blood alcohol levels and toxicology screening would be done. Were those tests done in this case or did the subject get special treatment? It is a good thing it was a fire hydrant and a tree and not a pedestrian or another driver that received the impact of this crash.

JBM   November 30th, 2009 1:14 pm ET

I don't think Tiger Woods is getting any special treatment. The law requires he show his registration, drivers license and proof of insurance. That has been taken care of; he is not required to meet with police. Don't they have more important issues to deal with? Tiger, a fire hydrant and a tree are all that's involved here. As for his wife and the golf club, isn't it possible she tried to open the doors, realized they were locked and Tiger was somewhat out of it, thus she ran back to the garage and got a golf club. There is nothing to suggest she was chasing him with it.

An argument over an alleged affair splashed on the tabloids would not be uncommon. It is possible and perhaps likely there was an argument pertaining to that. But, sorry; I just can't see Tiger being physically abused by his wife. Have you looked at the two of them.

The story about this other woman unfortunately is probably true. That, also unfortunately, puts Tiger in the same category as this other woman who runs her mouth about the affair and now wants to take back her words. You have to wonder why people like Tiger would ever think these women won't talk and no one will ever know.

mary u from ohio   November 30th, 2009 3:29 pm ET

Media Can't leave anybody alone... Someone needs to stop the Media from Spreading Rumors.....

Cris   November 30th, 2009 3:48 pm ET

Come on we should have expected this sooner. Tiger has always had problems driving. That's why he does better when he leaves his driver in the bag and uses a long iron or three wood.

Gerald Jolly   November 30th, 2009 7:50 pm ET

To all of you that question Tiger Wood's right to be silent over the car accident, I have one simple answer.

"DO ANY OF YOU KNOW WHAT THE FIFTH AMENDMENT IS AND WHY THAT AMENDMENT IS PART OF OUR CONSTITUTION"???

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter