CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

November 21, 2009

Swayze's Fight Against Cancer

Posted: 10:22 AM ET

NOTE: Tonight on LKL, a very special interview with Lisa Niemi, Patrick Swayze's wife, and his brother Donny Swayze.

And we want to hear from you: What are your favorite Patrick Swayze memories.  Post them HERE or below, and we'll use them on the show tonight.

Julie Fleshman is President and CEO of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network.  In this LKL Web Exclusive, she offers her thoughts on the death of Patrick Swayze.

art.swayze.giPatrick Swayze was a shining star in Hollywood darkened much too soon by pancreatic cancer.  On behalf of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, I offer my sincere condolences to his wife, Lisa, the Swayze family and his millions of fans around the world. He will be truly missed.

Mr. Swayze increased awareness of the fourth leading cause of cancer death in the United States by speaking out publicly about his diagnosis.  His surprise appearance in September 2008 at the Stand Up to Cancer telethon and his unabashed interview with Barbara Walters in January 2009 left us in awe as he vowed to fight this disease. He exuded an impassioned sense of hope, and a true belief that he would make it long enough to find a cure.

He was a beacon of hope for the entire pancreatic cancer community, and for nearly two years his fighting spirit helped him to beat the odds that were clearly stacked against him. In fact, 76% of patients die within the first year of diagnosis and the five year survival rate is just 5% because there are no effective early detection tools or treatments for this disease. Despite these statistics, pancreatic cancer is the least funded among leading cancer killers in our country.

Mr. Swayze made a difference in the fight against pancreatic cancer and you can too. Join the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network (www.pancan.org) and take action to ensure progress is made to give pancreatic cancer patients a fighting chance.  Your help is critical now more than ever because the pancreatic cancer incidence is projected to increase by 12% in 2009 and by 55% by 2030.

If you or someone you know is facing pancreatic cancer please have them contact the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network at 877-272-6226.  The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is the only national organization creating hope in a comprehensive way through research, patient support, community outreach and advocacy for a cure.  Please join us today.

Julie Fleshman, JD, MBA
President & CEO
Pancreatic Cancer Action Network

Filed under: LKL Web Exclusive • Patrick Swayze

Kathy   September 16th, 2009 11:33 am ET

I must admit, it sadden's me to see so many of "OUR GREAT and WONDERFUL" People passing! But, I know in my heart, that all of their love, will live on, "On Butterfly Wings!" Just as God send's us, rare and beautiful Butterflies, so does HE send us Rare and Beautiful People! Those Rare and Beautiful Butterfies, make this world a better place, just as the Rare and Beautiful People. I know that, Michael, Farrah, Kennedy, and Patrick, were only a few of "THOSE RARE and BEAUTIFUL BUTTERFLIES"! And, Their Love Will Live On! My heart and my love go out to each and all of their families! God Bless Them All and Their Families!

Maria South Africa   September 16th, 2009 12:39 pm ET

Condolences to Lisa and family, may Patrick rest in peace. The Lord has picked one more of his beautiful roses from his garden to decorate his home. We will all miss you.

chris   September 16th, 2009 3:37 pm ET

Everyone knew this day would come.But we all thought that just maybe he would be able to win his battle.RIP

carol kesling   September 16th, 2009 9:55 pm ET

thoughts & prayers for lisa and her family ...... patrick was a great human being and a wonderful husband and partner !!!!!!!!!! god bless ....

Carolyn Allison   September 17th, 2009 1:52 am ET

When I heard that Patrick had Pancreatic Cancer, my heart went out for him and Lisa, his wife. I lost my husband to Pancreatic Cancer June 2004 and I learned everything about that type of cancer, the statistics and etc. Bravo to Patrick for making it as long as he did. . He is a brave and tough soul to keep working while he was in such pain, and like my husband, he fought hard and never gave up. By the time my husband was diagnosed, he only lasted 4 months, due to 3 doctors misdiagnosis. My prayers are with Lisa and the Swayze family. God Bless!!

Sheletta   September 17th, 2009 3:16 am ET

This is a great thing about pancreas cancer out reach for people who needs help dealing with this type of illness. But on the other hand we will miss him he was a Great Actor. RIP Patrick.

Roberta Gallant   September 19th, 2009 5:55 pm ET

I am so sorry to hear in the news that Patrick Swayze died
at age 57. Personally, Mr. Swayze did not know each other.
I do extend my sympathy to him. No one had introduced
to this person.

Dianna   September 19th, 2009 9:10 pm ET

My favorite Patrick role was not Dirty Dancing or even Ghost. It was his earlier role as Orry Main in the sweeping "North and South" mini-series he was fantastic!!!!

My thoughts and prayers to his family.

doc jewell   September 19th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

loved tlove he attitued the way i grew up i stiil look up to you always will

kadie Bangs   September 19th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

I am with Dianna. I love Patrick in Dirty Dancing and Ghost but the most memorable role for me was in the mini series " North and South", and each time I see Krystie Ally on tv, I think of her and Patrick in their respective roles.

He was a great and loveable actor. RIP Patrick.

Terri in Texas   September 20th, 2009 12:37 am ET

I loved Patrick in North and South as Orry Main. He portrayed a true southern Gentleman.....and he was. I believe this was the role I will remember the most. I can watch and rewatch.

My prayers with his family.

Cookla   September 20th, 2009 12:51 pm ET

So sad when Cancer takes somebody's life after all these year's still no cure when will it happen we can only hope when somebody famous dies then there on the new's and we feel the Famlies loss especially so young with so much talent to pass on to another generation been a long time since l saw Patrick Swazye in a film but heard he made one just before he died my deepest Condolences to his Family especially his wife of 34 year's l'm sure she will miss him more than we will long time to be with someone you love.
Cookla.

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   September 20th, 2009 6:12 pm ET

@Kathy September 16th, 2009 11:33 am ET
==========================================
Beautifully said.

==========================================

He was so brave how he faced up to it.........and there was always that hope...........of never giving up on life. What a beautiful wife he has......inside and out.

He was a cowboy at heart – a true Texan. I loved their Ranch in Los Angeles and it was their way of keeping close to nature.

He was an INSPIRATION! ..........and gone too soon.

Jana, Slovakia   September 21st, 2009 3:54 am ET

Patrick, you stay in our hearts, you are Hero forewer. May rest in peace!!! God bless You and your family...

DEBBIE   October 15th, 2009 8:48 pm ET

I would like to give my sympathy to the wife of Patrick and his family.
I am so sorry to hear of his passing, another great person gone. He will always be remembered for his roles as an actor, and a good person. He was tough to fight pancreas cancer for so long, may he rest in peace like the rest of them. God bless.

Dr. Jim Lane   October 19th, 2009 7:14 pm ET

Unfortunately, Patrick Swayze continued smoking even after he was diagnosed. Smoking in a known cause of pancreatic cancer. Watch Larry King Live tonight and catch an interview with two doctors whose approach to treating cancer is very different.

Margaret Caulfield   October 24th, 2009 10:44 pm ET

I was so sad to learn that he'd passed away after knowing how much he'd fought. To me, he was a favourite actor, but from what I read about him, also a wonderful person.

I myself was suffering from cancer of the parotid gland this very year. I was given quimio and radiotherapy, plus a dissection of the right neck in July. Everything seemed fine, except that I had some pain on the left side of my neck and, after tests, I now have cancer of the left parotid gland, plus it's now in a lymph gland, i.e. metastasis.

I plan to fight as Patrick Swayze did, which I've done all along, and I also plan to get there, but please let this be a lesson for those who smoke, although nobody knows the real reason for my disease, which tends to affect 80% of men and I am a woman.

I think Patrick has been a tremendous example and help to others. I truly offer my condolences to the members of his family for their loss.

Margaret Caulfield

franklyn   November 18th, 2009 1:58 pm ET

wonder IF they will mention Suz Somer's nagative comment RE P Swaze's chemo., she thought it would not help..she really doesn't write all those bks., she has ghost writers & they are running all the way to the bank !.

Jim Carroll   November 18th, 2009 2:17 pm ET

I like your show , Larry .But I am interested in solving the problems of
unemployment and Health-Care. I wish you would examine my plans at the internetfreepress.com!

ckelly   November 18th, 2009 3:04 pm ET

My condolences Lisa and to Patrick's brother Danny,

I loved Patrick Swayze-My partner of 17 years is his spitting image-

My prayers go out to you all!!

CKelly,
Vancouver, BC

A. Smith, Oregon   November 18th, 2009 4:34 pm ET

My heartfelt condolences go out to Lisa Niemi and their family.

I certainly enjoyed many of Patrick's movies and his dedication to the many roles that he was given. I openly applaud his courageous sense of ethics in his insistence the Whoopi receive that role in the movie 'Ghost'.

With that said, I would ask Lisa Niemi what her thoughts are on American Corporations which have routinely dumped toxins into the air and water supply's which can directly led to Pancreatic Cancer?

What does Lisa Niemi think should be done to those American Corporations and what if anything should be done in the future to prevent those Corporations from doing that to more American citizens in the future?

Pauline Hicks   November 18th, 2009 6:23 pm ET

He just seemed like he was such a nice guy and everyone loved him so much. He was such a talented actor and I remember seeing him years ago in the mini series North and South which was filmed in Natchez, Mississippi and that was one of his early roles, I especially enjoyed Ghost and DIrty Dancing, too. May he rest in peace. Deepest sympathy to his family.

Rita J. Bogard   November 18th, 2009 8:25 pm ET

Partrick is one of the best actors there ever was on TV. I am very thankfull that I got to to know him through tv and his wife with interviews they done with Barbara Walters. Thank you Mrs. Swayze. You are a lucky woman to have had known such a special man. I really loved him Dirty Danceing. I know alot of people did. 🙂 Thanks for shareing him with the world. My dad passed away of in 2004 of Small Cell Lung Cancer and didn't last not even a year. My sister and I took care of him till passed and was there holding his hands. I had to record the interfiew with Barbara Walters and watch it later and still cried cause I could still see my dad through Partick face. He looked just him during that time. I love you Partick for your great movies.

Larry King, you don't have to use this on your show. I just wanted to share this with Mrs. Swayze. I wasn't planning on writing all this when I started so you don't have to use it. Thanks and I love your show.
Rita J. Bogard, Jonesboro, Arkansas

Deb Madsen   November 18th, 2009 10:13 pm ET

Lost my FAVORITE actor. Hang in there Lisa and Donny and family. Rembering all the stories of him – he would surely want you to be OK. What luck to have had such a wonderful person in your lives!!

Judy Ransom   November 18th, 2009 10:17 pm ET

My most precious and beautiful only child died in 2008 of breast cancer, which she chose to treat by a combination of mainstream and well researched alternative methods. She was a warrior to the quiet and emaciated end, and beautiful to the end. I watched dear Patrick to see "the signs" that I hoped would never come for him, but they did. Now perhaps by lovely warrior girl and he will encounter one another. A mother can only hope. She died as she lived, Larry – a gallant warrior to the end, never complaining, never believing she would not be able to whip that demon cancer. I love her now and ever – Patrick, be her friend.

Her Proudest Mom

Selena   November 18th, 2009 10:22 pm ET

I've loved Patrick for 21 years, since I was 11 years old. Since he passed, I can't watch Dirty Dancing without crying. Patrick Swayze was the epitome of the word "strength". He fought a hard battle and never showed weakness. I always admired him for his work but now have new reasons to admire him. RIP Patrick, you're the greatest and most beautiful actor I've ever seen and you'll be forever missed! Lisa, my condolences..

Debra   November 18th, 2009 10:22 pm ET

Beautiful thing to see the look of love and loss in Lisa's eyes while viewing clips of her husband

Dawn V   November 18th, 2009 10:24 pm ET

It struck me as I am watching the interview with Lisa (Patrick's wife) and Donny (Patrick's brother) how much Donny looks and sounds like Patrick. I dont know if I'm alone in wondering if Lisa takes comfort in feeling like Patrick lives on in Donny, or if Lisa still feels like she has a little bit of Patrick in his brother.
Obviously they are two different people....I just couldn't help but be taken back by the resemblance and wonder if that would in some way provide Lisa with some sort of emotional comfort during such a horrible time of great loss.

wellred   November 18th, 2009 10:29 pm ET

I love 3 wishes, it is my favorite movie!

What a lovely man he was! I loved the audio book on a recent road trip with my husband. Well done. thank you for sharing your lives with us...
Blessings

Yolanda   November 18th, 2009 10:31 pm ET

MY FAVORITE MOVIE HAS BEEN AND ALWAYS WILL BE DIRTY DANCING! Patrick Swayze is a legend!!!!! May he rest in peace!

Jackie Byleckie   November 18th, 2009 10:32 pm ET

I met Patrick Swayze in London on my 60th birthday in London, while he was in the play "Guys and Dolls". I spent hours outside the door waiting to meet him. When he came out, I told him it was my birthday, and he kissed me on the cheek and I will never forget it. I feel for his wife and family since he was such a loving and caring person. He had to be one of my favorite actors and I was very touched by his passing.

Cara Murray   November 18th, 2009 10:33 pm ET

Our favorite Patrick Swayze movie from my mother to our daughters will always be Dirty Dancing. We will continue to watch it fondly, remembering brave and talented Patrick.

We lost a good friend to pancreatic cancer 5 years ago, in honor of these 2 brave men, we support cancer research, and hope to see improvement in detection and treatments.

Donna Mckay   November 18th, 2009 10:34 pm ET

I'm still amazed no one mentions "North South" the 2 part TV miniseries he starred back in the mid 80's. That's when I became a huge fan and fell in love with Patrick. It was his best work ever! Please mention it. Thank you for this show.
Donna Mckay, a Canadian Fan

brooks   November 18th, 2009 10:35 pm ET

It was extremely sad to see the death of such a great guy. I must say this after seeing larry king show this evening Patrick was a very lucky man to have a wife and brother of such high caliber in his life. As were they lucky too.

Yolanda   November 18th, 2009 10:35 pm ET

I lost my dear father exactly one moth after his diagnoses. I hoped and prayed Patrick would fight that evil monster and he did! Way to go Patrick!!!!

Tami   November 18th, 2009 10:37 pm ET

Patrick was an actor that gave so much of himself to every role he played and that is what made him such a great actor. His acting gave his fans such joy in the many roles he played...he gave his emotions away and triggered within all of the the pain and joy that each of those stories told...Ghost was one of the most romantic movies that my husband and I went to in our early years together–today Patricks acting in this movie can still bring my tough and macho husband to tears...Your story as a couple is inspiring and thank you for sharing so much of your lives!

Tami

kelly brown   November 18th, 2009 10:38 pm ET

The best Patrick Swayze movie without a doubt, North and south. Love and War movies. He played a man aged 20 to 50. It was well played on his part. He showed how truly talented he was. As much as I liked Ghost also a very good movie, the one that truly showed this man's talent was unquestionably The John Jakes trilogy. I realize that he loved doing Dirty Dancing undoubtedly because of his love for dance, it showed his talent in dance. The John Jakes movies were a testament to his talent as an actor.
Thank-you

Annette Korty   November 18th, 2009 10:39 pm ET

I loved Patrick's role in North and South; a large plantation owner who represented love and compassion in a time of hate.

Elaine   November 18th, 2009 10:44 pm ET

Of all the losses 2009 brought to the entertainment industry, the loss of Patrick Swayze was the only one that brought tears to my eyes. He seemed to be such an extraordinary man. Not only was he absolutely beautiful, but he seemed so down to earth and such a gentleman. I especially admired the fact that he and Lisa had been married for so long – such a rarity in that world. He was by far my favorite actor and will remain so forever. My sincere sympathy is extended to his loving wife and family.

Julie B.   November 18th, 2009 10:44 pm ET

I am a 45 year old woman diagnosed with breast cancer at age 42, I have 3 friends who also have had breast cancer, and were diagnosed at age 39, I nor 2 of the women had any risk factors nor family history, I am a registered nurse, I find this absolutely crazy that the government would put out such a statement that women between 40-49 should not be screened, this is going to kill women, we have pushed so hard for early detection, and this is such smack in the face to all women.

Cecilia Chaboudy   November 18th, 2009 10:49 pm ET

Dear Mr. King:

My husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on February 15, 2008 just a few weeks before Patrick Swayze was diagnosed. Someone at the office gave my husband an article, and my husband was very upset. Like Patrick, mu husband Lou was brave. He went on to work until Thanksgiving week one year ago. At the time, we were using a drug that was sold to us as the medicine that will cure him. We spent thousands of dollars on this drug, and many times we though about contacting Patrick to let him know about this miracle drug. In retrospect, I am glad we did not contact him. This drug turned out to be a huge deception. My husband died on December 31, 2009 with all of his children and family around him. He wasn’t famous, so no too many people know about our tragic. Listening to Lisa tonight, it gives me a sense that being famous has its price. Please give her my sincere condolences, and tell her I think about her every day. I am going trough the same experiences. I love many of his movies but my favorites are Dirty Dancing and Ghost.

Sincerely,

Cecilia Chaboudy

John A White, MD   November 18th, 2009 10:50 pm ET

mammography is notonly test available. MRI doesasuperior job in detecting lesions that are not seen on mammography

Suzy Wilson   November 18th, 2009 10:52 pm ET

My brother,rick, age 50, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer the same week that Patrick's illness was made public through the media. He lost his battle in 4 short (or long) months and 10 days. I have viewed every interview with Lisa and experienced thier audiobook immediately upon its release. All of her comments and interpretations of thier experience about his strength, courage and perseveration are unbelievable identical to our journey. Thank you so much to Lisa for her strength and courage to share her difficult journey with the public to put a very loved face, personality and talent to this, not very well known, unforgiving disease so that others may have hope for awareness and a cure.

angie   November 18th, 2009 10:55 pm ET

My favorite things about Patrick was he was such a wonderful actor and rreally lived the roles he played. It was just something about him you can't describe. I send by condolences to his wife, lisa, and his brother, donny and also the rest of his family. I read the book and intend on reading it again. IT WAS WONDERFUL ! It was interesting to learn about his family and growing up playing football, dancing, trying out for the Olympics,but I'm glad he ended up a actor. It was GOD telling him this is my special gift for you. All the ;people that loved him, thank GOD we had the special privelege to see the many sides of him and also his love for horses! I can't get over that he's gone and I know everyone else feels the same way.

Janice G.   November 18th, 2009 11:02 pm ET

I am a 45 year old woman who was orginially diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 33. It reacurred in 2005 at the age of 42, and a year later I had metestatic breast cancer (in the bones in my spine.) I did not have any family history with breast cancer. Early detection is the KEY to survival. I find this unthinkable for our goverment to make such a statement. If I would have waited until I was 50, I proably would not be alive today.

glouise   November 18th, 2009 11:05 pm ET

As part of the crew that worked with Don Swayze these past 3 weeks, I have to say that he was a great guy. With that I can only imagine that Patrick was equally as great a fellow and will be sadly missed. Don took on a role that illuminates his own acting ability.....and my favorite Patrick Swayze movies included Dirty Dancing and North and South, plus Ghost.

g from heathensandthieves

glouise   November 18th, 2009 11:09 pm ET

I was part of the crew that worked with Don Swayze these past 3 weeks and can say that he was a great guy to work with....that he pursued his role on the heels of losing Patrick says much about his own integrity and grit. We all admired Don and enjoyed working with him....his acting was superlative! I'm sure Patrick would have been very proud of him. My own favorite Patrick Swayze films include Dirty Dancing and North and South. Also Ghost.
g
from heathens and thieves

lisa d   November 18th, 2009 11:51 pm ET

my condolensces to lisa and donny, my husband also died from pancreatic cancer at 55. He only lasted 3 mos from diagnosis. This is a horrible disease and it is definitely on the rise. Thanks for going public, it will help someone for sure. My favorite movie is Dirty Dancing. It holds a special place for me because it is about the area where my husband grew up and it transcends all time and ages

SARA LEILA FARIDI WOOD   November 19th, 2009 12:50 am ET

SARA WOOD
NOVEMBER 18, 2009
DEAR LARRY KING,
I WISH TO EXPRESS MY CONDOLENSCES TO THE FAMILY AND FRIENDS OF PATRICK SWAZYE. I HAD A FRIENDS MOTHER DIE OF BREAST CANCER. THESE TYPES OF DISEASES ARE HORRIFIC. I LOVED DIRTY DANCING. MY FAVORITE WAS GHOAST. THANK YOU FOR SHARING PATRICK WITH HIS FANS BECAUSE I USED TO LOOK FOR HIM. THANK YOU VERY MUCH,
SARA WOOD

stella   November 19th, 2009 12:56 am ET

my heart sank when i heard of Patrick Swayze's death, and it stills sadens me, my brother has always looked somewhat like Patrick Swayze so much that everyone called him that for a long time... My heart goes out to Lisa and Patrick's family, his life touched so many and his passing is a great loss, I've prayed and I've cried now it's the letting go that hurts. God has taken His angel back home and he will be greatly missed.... For anyone that would like to see some of Patrick's first acting, I encourage you to watch Mash,( Blood Brothers), you can find it through netflix... It's strange how his life ended kinda like his acting life began... THANK YOU PATRICK...

Jordan   November 19th, 2009 1:09 am ET

May god bless his soul poor guy.

Sunday Evans   November 19th, 2009 1:14 am ET

It is surreal watching Patrick's younger brother on your show. Looking at his eyes is like looking into the eyes of Patrick. Patrick fought so valiantly with grace and dignity. I am proud to be a Houstonian knowing Patrick and his family are so deeply rooted here. God rest his soul and Bless Lisa and the Swayze Family.

Tom   November 19th, 2009 1:19 am ET

Favorite Swayze Moments and Movies: Chippendales Dancer on SNL, Dirty Dancing and of course as a Marine you gotta Love Road House

Tom   November 19th, 2009 1:22 am ET

Of course it is sad to have a person like Patrick Swayze pass on. I don't remember hearing anything bad said about him, unlike a lot of the other actors in Hollywood today and that is refreshing. His talent will be missed.

Judy from Canada   November 19th, 2009 1:41 am ET

DEAREST LISA AND DONNIE, I'm so sorry for your enormous loss. We the fans like to think we know our favorite actors but the truth is we really don't. To me Patrick Was a hero. Not only for his films but for his winning battles with alcohol and then his heroic effort In fighting cancer while living a dignified and peaceful life. His love of family and Lisa plus his extreme love for animals and his devotion to the arts. Thank You for sharing Patrick with us. I'm sure he's a Beautiful angel now

tls   November 19th, 2009 1:51 am ET

As one of my favorite actors, I had to express my condolensces to his family and found both his wife and brother very brave to go on live t.v. to discuss his last months on this earth.
One of my most favorite movies of all time is Dirty Dancing and holds such a special place in my heart because my family and I used to vacation at Mountain Lake in the summer time which is where part of the movie was filmed. Little did I know that years later my husband and I would also vacation there on our anniversary! Thank you Patrick, for bringing back great memories of my childhood summer vacations!
You will be dearly missed.

jackie jobin   November 19th, 2009 4:31 am ET

Patrick Swayze was a great role model for young people.
u never heard any bad thing's about him. he was a very good actor and played all his roles very good. he was stright up truthfull and brave, never wanting anyone to feel sorry for him. he was a very strong man and still fighting cancer he still did his show the beast. i hope alot of people who watched his last interview with Barbra Walters see how strong and they can get encourgement from Patrick.. my ondolances to his wife Lisa who he loved with all his heart and to his other family memeber's. im glad i have all his movie's to watch him. he will never be gone . he was one of the truefull actors that ever came out of hollywood. hes now an angel in heaven . thanks for the memorie's he will be missed by many of his fans

Bob McCullough   November 19th, 2009 4:34 am ET

Best Movie "Dirty Dancing" WOW!! Great actor sorry to see him go. Best to his family.

ginny   November 19th, 2009 4:36 am ET

Wow how can you choose just 1! Ghost, dirty dancing, roadhouse, I can't choose just 1!

Roshan Palnitkar   November 19th, 2009 7:16 am ET

I live in Mumbai, India. Dont remember the number times we have seen Dirty Dancing n Ghost. In India all our leading actors in movies are resonably good dancers n romantic. So, u can imagine the fan following that he had in India. For me it was like the character of these movies is finally gone and the movie has ended.

Nic Roy   November 21st, 2009 10:18 pm ET

Patrick gave that cancer a Roadhouse kick to the face!

Marilyn Grein   November 21st, 2009 10:53 pm ET

I was in London, England 1n 2006. I was traveling alone and it happened to be my birthday while I was there. I wanted to celebrate so I looked to see what shows were playing in the West End district.
To my delight, Guys and Dolls (one of my favorite musicals) was playing....starring Patrick Swayze!
I treated myself to a very expensive seat and it was one of the best birthdays I ever had.
When I got home, I told my friends I had spent my birthday with Patrick Swazye. What a talented and wonderful human being.

Carol   November 22nd, 2009 2:42 am ET

My favorite memory of Patrick is being a part of the audience in Dirty Dancing.
My best friend and Patrick were performing across the street in NYC in 1978. I saw Patrick dance with Elliott Feld. I was stunned by his grace and beauty on the dance floor. My best friend went on to play Danny Zuko in Grease when Patrick could not go on due to his knee bothering him.
I saw a dignity and grace and true professionalism that is rarely seen in actors of today's era.
People should look at the postives that Patrick gave to the entertainment world.
Each of us have our weaknesses, people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
It is only by overcoming our weaknesses that we become stronger as a person.
The death of his sister Vicki to suicide and his father's death made patrick much stronger and more determined than ever before.
These traumas can leave deep wounds that can lead many people to feel as though they are living on borrowed time.
While working with him in Dirty Dancing he made the comment that men in his family are not noted for living to ripe old ages, Thus he felt as though he was already living on borroed time and was thus going to enjoy his life to the fullest.
I will always appreciate the opportunity to meet and work with a true professional that had a love for people.
Thanks Patrick for the chance of a lifetime. I too had the time of my life and I owe it all to you.
I lost my hisband, Ned to MD and I understand the feeling like Ned has not left me. I use that to my advantage to make it through the tough times. In the beginning I could not sleep since everytime I closed my eyes all the bad things were what first came back to me. Thanks to my best firend he got me to realize that Ned will always be with me and he would want me to go forward with a piece of him in my heart.
That is what I have done now too, I have taken the memories of working on Dirty Dancing, placed them in my heart and I am pleding my United Way donation through my employer to Patrick's fund at Stanford.
It is time to follow his legacy and stand up to cancer. Let;s get this cancer the recognition and funding it rightly deserves.
Swayze Dog–rest in peace. We will meet up soon.
God you have chosen your newest angle wisely!!!
Now I have 2 soles to keep me company Ned and Patrick.
Blessing to the family.
Carol Johnson

lorraine hutton   November 22nd, 2009 7:20 pm ET

i never miss any of his movies , my family is disabled so i am home most of the time , i watch his movis over an over and enjoy them as if it were the first time,
god bless MRS, SWAYZES AN FAMILY

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter