CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

November 4, 2009

Dowd: Who Are You Calling a Narcissist, Rush?

Posted: 09:01 AM ET

From NY Times' Maureen Dowd

I had a four-hour dinner once with Rush Limbaugh at the “21” Club in Manhattan, back in the days when I was still writing profiles as a “reporterette,” to use a Limbaugh coinage.

He was charming, in a shy, awkward, lonely-guy way. Not a man of the people. He arrived in a chauffeured town car and ordered $70-an-ounce Beluga, Porterhouse and 1990 Corton-Charlemagne.

But he was not a Neanderthal, though he did have a cold and blew his nose in his napkin. He talked about Chopin’s Polonaise No. 6, C.S. Lewis and how much he loved the end of the movie “Love Story.”

In those days, he called himself a “harmless little fuzzball.” He’s a lot less harmless now. I went on to columny, as my pal Bill Safire called it, and Rush went on to calumny.

As he and Sarah Palin conduct their auto-da-fé of moderate Republicans — “Moderates by definition have no principles,” he told his radio audience on Monday — Limbaugh is more than ever the face of his party, as Rahm Emanuel said.

He’s also the mouth.

Limbaugh is right that Democrats tend to dither too much. They’re always wondering if they’re doing the right thing, indulging in on-the-one-hand, on-the-other paralysis by analysis, seeing, as James Carville put it, “six sides to the Pentagon.”

(Read more from NY Times)

Filed under: Maureen Dowd • Rush Limbaugh

world citizen   November 4th, 2009 9:44 am ET

ATTN Larry King

Your Quick Vote doesn't work.

Idzan Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia   November 4th, 2009 10:33 am ET

World citizen is right.
I have tried to vote on several occasions but failed.
Thank you.

A. Smith   November 4th, 2009 11:12 am ET

Rush is warm and fuzzy?!!

No way, the man that flat hopes, prays and wishes that President Obama will fail has been the most outspoken critic of the current White House Administration.

And beyond being outspoken, this hypocrite appears to encourage rifle toting wacko's to attend Obama rallies!

It is if Glenn Beck and Rush both never realized that Bush Jr. nor Bush Sr. would have permitted any rifle toting gawkier to attend any of their rallies, and anyone that did would be very fortunate to live to tell about the beating they took.

Resorting to images and chants from Nazi Germany, Glenn Beck and Rush both attempt to entertain their audience to the point of lunacy.

Does Rush or Beck consciously or sub-consciously actually want some wacko in their audience to harm President Obama? That certainly seems to be the repeated theme on both of their shows.

Ayatollahs, Mullahs and Islamic Clerics that extol their followers to go out and commit violence against innocent bystanders are clearly and without question COWARDS! They themselves would not put themselves in harms way, but they encourage the weak minded to do that for them. Rush and Glenn Beck are of the same cloth, they extol their audience to go forth and commit acts of questionable legality, which they themselves would not do.

A. Smith
Oregon

Larry Cowles   November 4th, 2009 11:51 am ET

I am so sick of hearing what Obama and his administration is doing in Iran, Irag etc. And what is going on around the globe and their problems, Obama what are you going to do right here in the USA, this where we are, this is where we are hurting and our kids and grandkids for years to come. we should be taking care of our natural born citizens whether the be black, white etc, not the ones we let slip accross the borderor bring in by the truck load else where. Bottom line you goverment work for us, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO? Get off you ego trip and get to work.

Larry C Franklin, Ky.

g   November 4th, 2009 11:57 am ET

they should both be on the fbi watch list

DonaldLAllen   November 4th, 2009 12:14 pm ET

well maybe I got sum one that can understand but obama got one thing wrong I said Russia and wen I said that I meant president of Russia But he thou I meant you so I,M a international pres en so maybe I well do what the hell I please no mater I tried and Iv triad to get sum were in the US but maybe I well be friend with Russia ca,s what the hick can you portability do in this country but live I just live here and that is all I no I can say so OBAMA is miss up in his head if you get what I say you see he well not ween do you not spell Russia a nutter way and not the same way or maybe it is the same way I don,t no well not that I got it again,t you but it like this you can not get ahead in this country you no that so mabe I got something on OBAMA and what you think about me and I well say one more thing about it I think if you can go to a nutter state and brake the low you can be put in jell By that state I well not put up with OBAMA he well pay for the crime he has mad and we well see how will ween how is boss no mater what you do in America you well never get ahead you must be rich all ready if you or not than the rich just want to get richer off you and not let you be your own boss I,M ILeeBot and I wood no more about than OBAMA he a doom ass and that is all you well get from him you see Russia mabe the US think there doing it all and mabe they think I well put up with it but I just want the us to no I,M not wired what they think about me and as long as the people put up with it they well just keep putting it out and they don,t care about them they just want to rip the world off and they well not care about no one but there self the US and I well say I well not put up with it no longer so let OBAMA say what he please see you Larry King

Joe G. (Illinois)   November 4th, 2009 3:50 pm ET

All the “Borak’s Obama’s” in the world are overly preoccupied by a Rush Limbaugh.. afraid of a Sarah Palin. Oh, how sorry they will be when they find out that it is God they ought to fear and worry about. That it will be their own doing the cause of their own demise. And so Obama has got this so called big star pinned on his chest that says President of the United States.. Big deal..! What can he do with it? Just what can he do with that? God fearing people don’t need Americas Majority Vote.

Joe G. (Illinois)   November 4th, 2009 4:21 pm ET

And another thing… What the Glenn Beck’s and the Shaun Hannity’s of the world alike so animatedly don’t ever seem to understand is “That which feeds the devil gives strength to the devil.” That they might very well be leading millions upon millions of people astray right into the mouth of the beast. All I’m saying is that “You either fear the devil or you fear God.. “ You just don’t plea, bargain or kneel to the devil and ask him to be less evil.” “You just fear God..” “If you really fear God..” Understood???

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter