CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

October 28, 2009

Stressful jobs that pay badly

Posted: 10:17 PM ET
Occupational Therapist

via CNNMoney.com

Stressful jobs that pay badly

High stress and a meager paycheck are just another day at the office for fundraisers, therapists and probation officers. Here are 15 of the most overworked and underpaid professions out there according to those surveyed by PayScale.com.

(Stressful Jobs That Pay Poorly)

Filed under: Larry King Live

JT in TN   October 29th, 2009 12:12 am ET

Wow, Larry has no comments on his blog after that horrific report about the 15 yr old rape case, INTERESTING!! Larry I'm so glad these guys are being charged as a adults and I believe the people who watch it shouldv be charge to in some. I'd like to know the motive behind this and why was the 19 year old even near this school?

On the topic of stressful jobs, you havn't been stressed till you worked at Wal-mart and I find it a little much Walmart is now selling caskets. I guess they're for when they kill their emplotees from lack of proper help.

J M Ford   October 29th, 2009 12:21 am ET

What about the responsibilty of the family to instill the values of compassion and a moral sense of right and wrong. Putting the job solely on the job of educaotors abdicates the responsibilities of parenthood!!

As a nation we need to start to instill values with a resposibility to our family, friends,and neighbors not the glorification of materialism and individualism at all cost. We reap what we sow.

J M Ford   October 29th, 2009 12:22 am ET

MN

betty   October 29th, 2009 12:22 am ET

Larry, what happen to the father? Wasn't she waiting for him?

A. Smith   October 29th, 2009 1:05 am ET

As a EMT, I was being paid less than the average Taxi Driver. And although I helped assist in the operating room, defib. someones stalled heart, set badly broken legs in the field and pay for 2 million dollars worth of insurance coverage, my pay was in no way comparable to the decent family wages for the average autoworker.

As a Xray Tech, and Medical Assist., I directly assisted MD's in all phases of operation in any manner that my training and ability permitted. And while the MD's were easily making 400.00 dollars per hour, my pay was 1/30th. of that, mere pennys.

There certainly comes a point where you need a fair family wage just in order to survive and when you have life after life in your care and are worrying about paying for the phone, or cable bill, it is in no way worth it.

Corporate America is incredibly greedy when it comes to demanding the utmost from its employees while paying them as little as possible.

A. Smith
Oregon

JudyG   October 29th, 2009 1:36 am ET

Another job that is stressful and doesn't pay much is working in Adult Family Home. You get to attached to the people you are caring for. You are taking care of the personal needs of these people and you don't get paid at all. You are doing the job their family can't do or not longer wants to do. You get burned out to quickly. Most not all of the owners of these places are just in for the money.

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   October 29th, 2009 4:53 am ET

@ the comments above – .Sounds all too familiar. A lot of greed and equality going on.
-----------------------------–

They're a stressful job on society these youth. They are just dragging it down.

Need to castrate those boys involved in that horrible young girl incident. Those that stood by and gawked and did nothing should be utterly ashamed of themselves. I hope it will haunt them to their days. If this has what become of some of the youth of today,,,,,,,,,,,,what hope do we have.

Ban all parties and alcohol I say. Some are given too much freedom, that's their trouble and too spoilt. They have no respect for themselves or anything. The peer pressure is also very bad. A very sorry state of affairs indeed.

Some parents nowadays are too slack with their children. They allow them to do whatever they like – no boundaries. Don't even discipline or supervise them properly.
-------------

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   October 29th, 2009 4:57 am ET

Correction to the above top line –
----------------

Instead of EQUALITY............it should have been INEQUALITY.

paul   October 29th, 2009 5:48 am ET

it shouldn't be a matter of putting a ban on parties but like the fellow docs have said, it in instructing our kids on what to do. it is not even on how these kids see others, but on how they see themselves. but am glad that they are found so that they could be treated, because THEY are also humans, all of them.

Toot Trainbridge   October 29th, 2009 6:17 am ET

All jobs should have high pay and lots of benefits. If a business cannot , it should not be in business. The workers have just as much right to make a profit as the business does.

Toot Trainbridge   October 29th, 2009 6:27 am ET

Profit and loss of stocks in the market should be based on salaries of the workers not profits of the business. This would relieve workers stress.

Toot Trainbridge   October 29th, 2009 6:39 am ET

Greed is a problem today that holds back the prosperity of all people in the US. If workers make lots of money they spend it and everyone prospers including the business community.

Toot Trainbridge   October 29th, 2009 6:42 am ET

Well, it's early in the morning and I believe I will rest now.

Dodie ~ California   October 29th, 2009 7:01 pm ET

I can attest to that! I was a senior social worker with CAST/ER. (CAST/ER evaluates for child sexual abuse, with children of special psychological or medical problems). I was what everyone referred to as the “baby snatcher” because I was usually the first one at the scene and decided if a child was in imminent danger and needed to be removed. I was the one who decided to call the police. I learned to knock on the door from the side, just in case a bullet would follow my knock. I knew how Meth was made and what to look for since a co-worker was killed moving a kids box of toys that contained mixed chemicals for meth. I worked a 10 hour day sometimes, but usually a 20-24 hour day.

Besides addicted and enraged parents screaming and threatening my life, I had their children throwing up in my car from acute duress, as I took them to the children’s group home. I lasted almost 2 years and went back to my old clinical position that paid a lot more without the stress.

Being a social worker was the hardest job I ever had!

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   October 30th, 2009 10:47 am ET

@ Dodie ~ California October 29th, 2009 7:01 pm ET
------------------------------
Sent shivers through me just reading your comments.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter