CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

October 20, 2009

Tonight on Larry King Live!!!

Posted: 08:31 PM ET

George Lopez says he believes late-night talk is ready for more diversity.

George Lopez says he believes late-night talk is ready for more diversity.

George Lopez!

Actor and comedian George Lopez is about to break into the world of late night TV with his new show, 'Lopez Tonight.'   But tonight he's giving Larry his unique take on all the news you've been talking about.

As one of America's favorite TV dads – (his TV character was voted #18 in TV Guide's list of the 50 Greatest TV Dads of All Time) – he'll tell us what he thinks of President Obama, Jon Gosselin, the 'Balloon Boy' and David Letterman.  Plus, are Latinos represented in Hollywood?  And how have things changed for Latinos in America?  George will tell us his opinion...

Also...

Mary Murphy!

She's a judge on one of the hottest shows on television.  But the 'So You Think You Can Dance' star is here to talk about a secret she says she kept to herself for years.  Tonight in a primetime exclusive, Mary Murphy joins Larry to discuss the story everyone is buzzing over: Mary says her ex-husband raped and beat her over the course of 9 years.  Why didn't she speak out sooner?  How will her story help other women in her situation?  Tune in tonight and find out...

Plus...we want to hear from you!

George Lopez will tell us how being 'Latino in America' has changed over the years.  But what do you think?

Give us your opinion!

Filed under: Larry King Live

vicky   October 20th, 2009 9:01 pm ET

Hi Larry/George

We were waiting for this moment past 4 days

Thanks

jj   October 20th, 2009 9:05 pm ET

It's good that he just mentioned MICHAEL JACKSONS name. NOW~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ explain his involvement in the scheme/conspiracy against MR. MICHAEL JACKSON and in particularly the SKANKY ARVIZO family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

alex lyrics   October 20th, 2009 9:07 pm ET

This is great, sense Arsienio Hall, we have had flat humor for much too long.

It is time white America keep it real. Comedy comes from tragedy, and even on Mad Tv, and SNL the cast thatt were mainly white tended to fail and were not funny.

Minorities are much funnier, and give more of themselves in comedy.

This is great, I am sick of J leno, and letterman, and Conan, I don't think either of them are funny in any way.

They use other people to write their jokes

Gady Mayen - Hamilton, Canada   October 20th, 2009 9:10 pm ET

George Lopez is the coolest hispanic I have ever seen on TV 🙂

Diego Acosta   October 20th, 2009 9:10 pm ET

George you're the best!!!! Wapaaaa!!!

arielle   October 20th, 2009 9:11 pm ET

hi it doesn't matter about the religon it matters That They Are Good pepole Larry King =). I really admire Geroge Lopez

Salvador Salgado   October 20th, 2009 9:11 pm ET

Latino's need more representation in government, elected officials

your great George

Nora   October 20th, 2009 9:11 pm ET

I think things are just getting started. The past election just shows how powerful and influentical latinos are becomming in this country. Food, politics, music .... its everywhere..

Wasif   October 20th, 2009 9:11 pm ET

Things have definitely changed for better for latinos but there is still a long way to go.

Jessica Rodriguez   October 20th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

No! Absolutley not! There is so much racism against the Latiino Community. There is an open and hostile anti-Latino bias in the United States like I have never seen. You can say or do anything against Latinos that go unchecked. It is unreal.

jj   October 20th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

GEORGE LOPEZ needs to make a statement about Mr. Michael Jackson.

Brandon   October 20th, 2009 9:13 pm ET

Worse, becasue Gangs such as MS13 give latin american citizens a bad rap. You shouldnt discriminate latin american just because of such an evil group such as them. Get rid of MS13, latin americans will feel more safe and equal aswell as everyone else.

Jonathan Perez   October 20th, 2009 9:13 pm ET

Things have gotten better I know for me and my family we started as kids in a migrant camp working fields and now all of us own a nice home with degrees and our children will never know the same hardship.

Lee Perez from San Antonio   October 20th, 2009 9:14 pm ET

Much Better!!! Im in San Antonio, Texas. There are at least 3 PuertoRican Restaurants, and five night clubs that play Salsa, MUSIC is Live! Im Boricua,,Hi George! Anyways, I arrived in 1985. Nobody knew a single latino song other than Feliz Navidad by Jose Feliciano. we had made it to the movies by playing gang members,,Now ,,,you have GEORGE LOPEZ...QUE VIVA LA RAZA, LATINA!!!!

Rosa Gonzalez   October 20th, 2009 9:14 pm ET

Yes and No. We have accomplished a lot in this country and yet, I feel sometimes that we don't get the credit we deserve. Hispanics, specifically Mexicans get accused of stealing "American" jobs and changing "American" culture... At first I assumed these people were referring to Illegal immigrants, but most of them are referring to American Latinos as well. I've been told to go back to Mexico... and I am Mexican AMERICAN!

Elena Rodriguez   October 20th, 2009 9:14 pm ET

I think that every time the economy tanks, the most vulnerable citizens in the country are blamed (illegal aliens that are equated with Mexicans). In the 30s, my Texan-born father was repatriated to Mexico.

When the economy is good, Mexicans are let in (and Americans look the other way), you even had programs like the Bracero program of the 40s.

It's all about the greenback in the capitalist society.

Arlene B   October 20th, 2009 9:15 pm ET

Looking at acceptance, we are better off. Society has learned to accept us for many reasons. One reason because of successful Latinos like George Lopez. Another being our large and growing numbers. Looking at ourselves, we are worse off because of assimilation. We have changed so much to become apart of "America" and left behind our own cultures.

angela   October 20th, 2009 9:15 pm ET

There is a huge misunderstanding that the media would have us believe: they constantly say the public has an appetite for Jon and Kate, no, we dont, there just isnt anything else on!

Joe   October 20th, 2009 9:16 pm ET

Things have gotten worse for Latinos in the last few years. We are being profiled, we are being told that our officials/people in authority are racist for appointing and looking out for fellow Latinos. On top of this, nothing has been done for immigration reform, and we are the ones who are most hurt by the attack on a public option for health care.

Freddie   October 20th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

I think is better for Latinos , But it is time to get our rights respected. Specially in the State of Arizona. with that racist Cherif in Maricopa. I cant believe this kind of things are allowed in the USA. He has created his little concentration camp, it seems that we are the modern Jews and he the modern Hitler. thanks

Rafael M.   October 20th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

I Believe that a lot has changed for the Latinos in a way that is irreversible, What needs to change is the perception of the stereotype American that thinks we're all Mexicans.

Esteban Martinez   October 20th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

Some Latinos are better off but we will be far from where we need to be as long as society continues to scapegoat immigrants from Mexico as the cause of our lousy economy. Thank God George Lopez continues to point this out every chance he gets!

Gady Mayen - Hamilton, Canada   October 20th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

I love watching George Lopez 🙂

Augustine   October 20th, 2009 9:18 pm ET

Larry thank you for hosting Goerge Lopez

Gorge Lopez you rock, Good luck with your new show and thank you for making us laugh.

Cuauhtemoc   October 20th, 2009 9:18 pm ET

Things are getting better in the sense that young Anglo-Americans have been raised and educated to respect and accept diversity. But, things are getting very bad for our undocumented brothers and their families because the lack of opportunities in their jobs, cities, and schools. The system is creating Latinos and others immigrants as a second class people.

laura   October 20th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

Hey George...looking good! Watch you every night on nick and looking so forward to your new show so I can get my double dose!

angela   October 20th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

My retired significant other is an interpreter. He goes to hospitals where he interprets for Hispanics and works with the docs.It is all paid for by tax money. I would say they are getting pretty good care, in fact better than me at many times. I mean c'mon, tax money paying for interpreters so they can receive quality care, thats amazingly significant in terms of health care perks in this economy.

Denzil Broomfield   October 20th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

I am a school teacher and we work very hard for all of our kids to do well, so yes I do think Latinos are doing better in America now as opposed to years ago. The recession has hit them very hard but because of their great pride things will get better. Latinos have one problem though that they need to solve- gangs! Being Mexican is a hardship for many of our kids. They are continually being asked where they are "from" by other Latinos who wish to do them harm. Our Latin kids are killed here on the streets of L.A. like the Lakers win championships.

Arlene B   October 20th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

We are worse off. Because of the education gap that exists in our country. Statistically, Latinos and other minorities live in lower income societies. Because of this they attend schools that have a limited amount of resources. These schools are unable to hire highly qualified teachers that can hold high expectations for these "at risk" students. This creates a horrible never ending cycle for Latinos, and it takes much more hard work and effort to get out of the "barrio" and move up in the world.

Augustine   October 20th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

Larry thank you for hosting George Lopez.

George Lopez you ROCK!!!!!!, good luck with your new show and thank you for making us laugh.

David   October 20th, 2009 9:22 pm ET

HI GEORGE, I LOVED YOUR SHOW, DID NOT MISS ONE EPISODE AND HATE THAT IT'S NOT ON ANYMORE. ARE YOU PLANNING ON COMING BACK TO SITCOM.

Lydia S.   October 20th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

I love being a Mexican American woman. What I hate, is when I picking up my friend for work, the cops slow down to see what I'm up to .I 48years old .Nothing changed unless you have a name.By the the way my birthday is April 23, 1961 just like you.

kevin smith   October 20th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

I as an american think things have gotten bad for latinos in America ,
due to the increas of hate crimes against them !

I'm witness of their hard work and commitment to make this nation a better place to live in..

We Americans should not be blind about latinos potential to help this country become a better place to in all aspects..

angela   October 20th, 2009 9:24 pm ET

George, if they want to be included in all conversations, start teaching Latinos that they really need to master the language, not just skim by.

ckelly   October 20th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

Great Guest Larry!! George Lopez is very funny and talented!

Patricia   October 20th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

Are Latinos treated better now than in the past? It all depends on which part of the country you are in. I live in the Midwest where there is widespread racism against us Latinos. I'm glad you didn't use Hispanic, I hate that word!

Gady Mayen - Hamilton, Canada   October 20th, 2009 9:27 pm ET

I think everyone should have a mouth and a mind like George Lopez, hey, my country is neighbours with his country 😛

tony   October 20th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

I'm grateful that beyond the stereotypes, myths, and prejudices that all minorities face, latinos still fight for their rightful place in america, and shows that the more colorful america becomes, america becomes a better place!

Glenn Lackey   October 20th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

George, why don't Latino's living in the U.S. make more of an effort to learn English?

Abel   October 20th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

things are better...today we can speak spanish at the white house and dance salsa with president OBAMA......I've rather no remember the 60's

Bill Torres   October 20th, 2009 9:31 pm ET

what George thinks about Mario Moreno Cantinflas

angela   October 20th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

I really like George, he isnt that funny to me, but he is so sincere and nice he draws me in and I listen to him.

jj   October 20th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

SHAME SHAME SHAME ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`Michael Jackson supposedly was your friend~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`he was NOT a TRAGEDY~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~you helped to SET HIMUP~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"GOD is watching you George Lopez.

Gady Mayen - Hamilton, Canada   October 20th, 2009 9:35 pm ET

Mary Murphy is such an upbeat person, who would have ever figured that she was ever abused... 😦

angela   October 20th, 2009 9:38 pm ET

Ouch, that hurt my ears!

Denzil Broomfield   October 20th, 2009 9:41 pm ET

Latinos are doing very well in America at this time. Yes, the recession has hit them hard in many of the areas they excel but they as we all will bounce back.
One problem Latinos must tackle though is gang in their mist. They are disproportionately being attacked by Latin gangs who do not have their best interest at hart. CNN did an series with Anderson Cooper – Hollenbeck. Well, nothing has changed there , kids are still being shot and the gangs are still in control!

angela   October 20th, 2009 9:45 pm ET

Why tell it? to save the rest of the world, to save all of us, thats why we tell our dirty laundry stories. Is it right, is it wrong? I dont have the answers, I am just getting sick of the timing of all these people. They get a little fame and then they start spilling out their guts. I had two alchoholic parents and lived through many difficult times, I have never told it on the mountain. What the falsehood is, is that now people feel they cant be healed UNLESS they write a book. Just a quiet will to overcome and a personal faith and friends is enough for many. If you write books and do TV on these subjects, they should be forced to donate proceeds.

Mary Rupert   October 20th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

I believe the concern should not be what culture is increasing in population. I believe our concern should be, how much people are helping one another no matter what race you are. We put our concerns sometimes on the most trivial things. People don't know how to get along with one another because of a certain culture. Love has no color, peace has no color. What is the problem that people as a whole can't get along? No matter if you are Latino, Black, white and etc. we are all beautiful people in our own right. When we break down race barriers, then can we move forward as people and not be concerned with who is on what talk show, tv show or running for presidency and etc... We must stop the hate. Then those types of questions have no need to be asked. People are who make the world go around, regardless of your culture. We must remember that.

Anu   October 20th, 2009 9:47 pm ET

George,
I thought you were really funny, as always. Unfortunately, the tepid laughs in the room was indicative of how much harder a minority comic has to work for the same effect. All the best with your show!

LB   October 20th, 2009 9:50 pm ET

People who thinks that men marry for anything more than just sex are lying to themselves. Men get married in order to have an available sex partner and to reproduce "themselves," but that is about it.

Dodie ~ California   October 20th, 2009 9:54 pm ET

Murphy is a very strong woman to discuss this on national TV.....

My congratulations to her. She is a wonderful role-model!

vicky   October 20th, 2009 9:56 pm ET

You want to know the breaking news watch CNN prime time

You want to current politics watch CNN prime time

You want to laugh watch CNN prime time

What I learn today watch CNN prime time

CARL CULLEN   October 20th, 2009 10:40 pm ET

Go back 100 years latino's have been in movie's as stars. from the beginning start. point out someone who didnt wacth i love lucy & desi in 1995 i drove to antioch , calif twice about 11.000 miles

My cousin married MR FLORRIE'S and she has 3 beutiful kids one girl & two boys I was there about a month and all my stations were tuned to latino funney thing everwhere I went all the citiy name's were latino we forget that it wasnt too long ago the state was there's

CARL CULLEN

Dodie ~ California   October 20th, 2009 10:49 pm ET

Carl:

And Native Americans have been here for 12,000 – 15,000 years

Dodie ~ California   October 20th, 2009 10:59 pm ET

Regarding the CEO's bonuses for millions of dollars each............ Using our money for jets and Limos, etc.... and The sweat lodge deaths, etc....

October 20th, 2009 10:45 pm ET
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

The problem and possible symptom of today is that people are losing their "independent" thinking. They want to blame everyone else for the problem. They want to blame the banks or the government for this problem. They follow others forsaking their own better judgment. They are not willing to be responsible!
Very Sad!

I could not express this on Anderson, so thank you Larry King for allowing me to privilege of expression.

Mary Rupert   October 20th, 2009 11:13 pm ET

Wednesday, April 14, 2009
Written By: Mary Rupert
Email: praisehimyes@yahoo.com

“FINALLY GREED IS BEING EXPOSED”

Acknowledging the crisis that man has been going through at the start of 2009. It’s really interesting how some people knew about this crisis before it hit many of the people. See the crisis is not something that has occurred over night, this has been building up for some time now. For those of you that new this crisis was beginning to occur, how do you look at yourself in the mirror?

As you see, this crisis isn’t affecting one person it’s affecting many. How does one sleep at night watching people lose their mind, their possessions, and their lives? Again, how do you sleep at night? When I say those of you knew this crisis was about to hit the American people, you know who you are. It’s unbelievable how you sat by idly doing and saying nothing. You may feel as though you couldn’t say anything because you may have lost your jobs; but it’s better to loose one job with dignity, than to see many jobs being taken away. As the saying goes, you either stand for something or fall for everything.

Greed is a selfish act of mans’ choice not to care about you and me. Some are speaking to you; some are smiling in your face while at the same time stilling your very being and existence right before your very eyes. There the ones who are silently telling you they don’t give a darn about you nor your family; because there greedy. I DON’T CARE ABOUT NOBODY BUT MYSELF. GREED!!! It’s a devilish act but I’m sure somebody has to do it.

Many of you are asking, why has God allowed this to happen? I guarantee there actions will not go unpunished because God see all and know all. We must remember God gave man free will; which means, we all have a choice to choose righteousness or unrighteousness.

A friend and I were speaking about this just the other day; he said why does it matter that there being punished now? They have lived a luxurious life, who cares if there being punished. Well I say this, Gods punishment can feel like eternity even if the punishment is just for one day. The good book says, the wealth of the wicked is stored up for the righteous. God is our vindicator and what greed thinks it has achieved it will not receive completely. I believe through this crisis Gods people will have restoration and recompense. Life and death is in the power of your tongue; speak life over your situation.

Believe it and get ready to receive it. In Jesus Name!!!

I must say this, how unfortunate for all those greedy people to get this far to the top and drop like an elevator that has broken its rope? Well greed your rope has finally reached its end. People you will not go unnoticed for trusting and believing in God. Everyone endure to the end because there is great reward in getting through endurance. Most importantly, pray for lost souls because they need to be saved as well. If Gods people start to act ungodly, how can you tell the difference between righteous and unrighteous? Please, pray for the lost souls.

Dodie ~ California   October 20th, 2009 11:38 pm ET

@ Mary Rupert

The US is viewed by the world as responsible for the global economic meltdown. I understand that President Hu Jintao of China is placing a bid for the RMB to be the World Bank’s predominant reserve currency. If the American dollar is removed & no longer the predominant reserve currency of the World Bank, what do you think will happen to the value of the dollar and our stock market?

Mary Rupert   October 20th, 2009 11:55 pm ET

You know ever sense the beginning of time blame as always been placed on someone else. (Adam blamed Eve for his disobedience.) Still in this day and time, it continues. People rarely take the blame for their own actions. First of all one person can't do it alone. People must play there part in the situation and take responsibility and start asking, what can I do to be apart of the solution and not cause more problems? We're so busy looking at who is a democrat and who is a republican and start to acknowledge that anything that's going on right now affects all humans. Rather good or bad. People need to stop blaming and start claiming their part and work together and change this mess thats' occuring to all man kind. Stop making the issue as if one persons started this mess. It's a group effort, stop crying over the issue and work it out and stop being so greedy and blaming others. Egos and pride will not solve this issue. Many of you need to stop, think, process the isssue, come back to the table with a clear conscious/head and act like adults with better decisions. Because isnt getting us anywhere, but more drama and it's sickening. Help or shut up. No offense, but real is real.

Brian   October 21st, 2009 12:13 am ET

Larry!!

I wish that someone would ask him about the difference between legal and illegal immigrants. Why does the latino community call them undocumented. The United States is ruled by law, and they broke it when they illegally enter the country......that's the elephant in the room. Why doesn't he advocate the idea that they should return home and re-enter through legal channels.

Cheers!!

Luis A.   October 21st, 2009 12:14 am ET

Larry –

George is funny, but why all the focus on the likes of Eva and George? They're entertainers; how about having politicians, or the supreme court justice? There are many influential Latinos in the U.S. today that don't get enough recognition today. Then again, Larry, with your John & Kate obsession, you've also put yourself at the level of tabloid television. Have some real guests.

Your fan

michael amaro   October 21st, 2009 12:15 am ET

I think things are worse because the country of Mexico has become such a corrupt society. Not only are the drug wars becomming more and more horrific, but it appears Mexicans in the US continue to be supportive to a country that has lost is traditional values. This is a clear indication that Mexicans in the US are not educated in what is taking place in Mexico. Im Mexican American, but do not own a Mexican flag. I used to be proud growing up, but the country no longer is place to be proud of.

Jorge De la Pena   October 21st, 2009 12:19 am ET

Things are better for us now than few years ago- In my case, I am the first member in my family to obtain a white collar job at the largest corporation of the world thanks to scholarships for Latinos, anti-descriminatory laws, and the realization of latinos as emerging leaders in America.

Hernandez   October 21st, 2009 12:19 am ET

Are things better or worse for Latinos in America today than they were just a few years ago? I think they have not improved much for Latinos. Hispanics are very discriminated in this country and not treated equally. We need more spokes persons to stand up for Latinos rights and for the Latino community Like George!!!!

Irene   October 21st, 2009 12:21 am ET

I dont think things have improved much. As Latinos, we have evolved in so many ways.We have educated our selves, have important positions in our country's politics goverment. But no matter what we do, society continues to descriminate agaist us our community! For example, I work for state goverment, social service and a lot of my clients are white.EVERYDAY I hear things like " Go back to where you came from!" " I hate you people that come here and REVERSE descriminate us" " Our taxes paid for your education" It never ends! All Latinos should be pround of all our accomplishments as a culture, we are no longer the people serving your french fries, cleaning your homes... we are your Governor's, school administrators, CEO' and politicians. We make a diference in everyday America. Let's keep our heads up!

Manny D   October 21st, 2009 12:22 am ET

Depends what better is.
Have we expanded our exposure to the rest of America where people are "forced" to deal with us rather than ignore us? Yes, but a the same time I still see us struggling to get respect from those same people who work with us only because they have to not because they want to. No matter what the field. WE have to keep moving forward and continue to set the example. George Lopez is someone who has helped the Latino movement moving in a positive direction.

Dodie ~ California   October 21st, 2009 12:26 am ET

@ Mary

You are completely correct! I see this in the same way. No president or even the government can correct run away corporate greed. It must come from all Americans! Until we stand up and take full responsibility including taking our country back from the greedy corporate America, nothing much will happen. It is too big for the president and congress is bought by lobbyists! So we, the people, need to act!

If we Americans can all agree to band together... stop buying everything except for food for 4-6 months... Pull our money out of banks that are abusing us and move it to banks that do not support such greed. The corporations and banks would freak out! They would have to start listening to us. But it would have to be a group effort. All Americans would have to band together.

We have the power, we buy their products, The Americans just do not see it. It has been said, if you keep the people stressed, fearful and overwhelmed, they will never organize. They will never confront. They will never see a solution. They will lose their independent thought and follow like sheep!

Peter   October 21st, 2009 12:30 am ET

Things are def worse. Since 9/11 Americans have become hostile to immigrants or any foreigner. When I go look for work and send in my application, I would never get a call back until I stoped using Pedro, and started using Peter. Of course when I showed up and saw that I wasent white, they all of sudden werent hiring anymore. It's little prejudice here and there. Back in high school (2 years ago), all the white kids made green card jokes. Everyone assumed because I was latino that I was Mexican (which I'm not), white girls more than anybody came out of nowhere and called me Pablo or Juan. After awhile it really does start to hurt. I hate how the majority don't want us here for little reasons here and there, yet they don't mind taking advantage of us and our influence in the economny and culture.

RACHEL HERNANDEZ   October 21st, 2009 12:45 am ET

I LOST A DAUGHTER...IN AN ACT OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE. MY FAILURE WAS NOT SAYING NO NOT SAYING NO. MY BIG MISTAKE

C.K. Paulk   October 21st, 2009 12:50 am ET

I was also in a situation similar. When my husband held a knife to my through when I was trying to leave. i stoped and said "I love you"
We do it out of fear

Judy   October 21st, 2009 12:55 am ET

Mary, You are so right by speaking out!
That is the only thing, which will help you to be free.
For the man to deny it, that is typical!

RitahRoggs (las Vegas)   October 21st, 2009 1:22 am ET

wooow...i love george lopez and i cant wait to see what he has to offer. i love his family comedy...great!!! thanks george we love you.

Anthony   October 21st, 2009 1:36 am ET

Successful people, regardless of nationality are successful because their perception is not blurred with prejudice.America to survive,we need to acknowledge one another and have some respect and con-sideration for our neighbors.
George,you're excellent model for all manorities and yes things are looking up for all manorities.....

Ron J   October 21st, 2009 4:38 am ET

Very good news that George Lopez is coming to a talk show near you ! He is a star already and can draw folks in easily…I think he will be great and an improvement over the current late night ‘tired’ hosts.. I think someone likeTom Arnold would be good too , he’s also funny…

Now as far as the question of are things better or worse, I think a bit worse for latinos because of the political climate, and Hollywood IS racist George. All the ads for the new movies and new TV shows show almost exclusively Anglo characters, as if this big country is not the diverse place it really is. There were more big stars who were latino in the US in the 50’s and 60’s than now..And Latinos generally were more respected in the 60’s and 70’s compared to now. They were treated more like regular Americans then than now.

Good Luck All

Ted   October 21st, 2009 9:39 am ET

Latinos, keep the faith and your situation will improve.
There was a time when in Boston factories had such a sign posted: "Irish do not need to apply"!
In 1960 we elected an irish and catholic President, Kennedy.
During the 1950´s jews were not allowed to become members of the clubs in Boston. Today it is not an issue.
In 1961 I could not go with a black friend to Columbia, SC, because the sheriff would put us into a jail and throw the key away.
Today we have an african-american President that has the respect of the world!
Got my point? Be patient, learn the english language, study, get a job and earn the respect due to you. It takes a long time to make a good wine.

Alex   October 21st, 2009 12:16 pm ET

Ted is right! We all need to try to do better.

We need to be patient but we also need to work hard to get educated. When I was in high school, Latinos and Blacks were systematically being put in lower education classes. I had to go to the office and complain so they could move me up to a higher class. I threatened that I would call a social worker and show them my grades if they did not change my classes. My teacher even wrote a book that said that the principal told her that they were putting higher income kids in better classes because they were more likely to go to college. We need to get engaged with our kids, family and friends education and not allow this to happen to them. Not everyone will fight like I did. Some people are afraid to take action. A lot of kids that did not fight are now in prison or dead. They did not get a fair chance.

Jose Hernandez the astronaut said that his parents were not educated but they still pushed their kids to do good in school!

I was not pushed but because my parents were poor, I saw first hand what would happen to me if I did not get an education. I am now an Engineer.

Raychil   October 21st, 2009 1:29 pm ET

I really enjoyed George Lopez's interview. He had a perfect balance of serious and funny. I will check out his new talk show.

Peter Higgins   October 21st, 2009 6:47 pm ET

There are always three sides to stories about domestic violence; his hers and what actually happened. There is something quite unsettling when anyone (man or woman) uses their media presence to make allegations against a father, brother, ex partner or spouse without being responsible for their participation in these past relationships. Larry was insightful in his interview with Mary Murphy – however, while she wants to put these issues behind her, they remain part of who she is.

Jim Carroll   October 21st, 2009 8:35 pm ET

I hope you make it, George.

John H   October 21st, 2009 10:38 pm ET

Dodie – California...I get your point but you make a mistake lumping Native American's into one group. While some of them may have been here for 12,000 to 15,000 years, they did not all arrive at once nor did they all speak the same language or come from the same place. There were also wars over hunting grounds or raids carried out by one tribe against another. This was going on before the first European ever arrived on this continent and some terrible things were done against one another. I agree that as a group, they were here first and have a good argument for ownership but throughout human history there has been a dislodging of one group by another over territory and it is difficult to use this as an argument in favor of or against one group or another. Europeans took this land by force and now we see that those who carried out this force are fading into the background by newcomers. Nothing changes in this world except there will always be change.

Mary Rupert   October 22nd, 2009 12:40 am ET

Peter I totally agree. People use prenuptuals as an excuse to act like a darn fool, from the beginning no trust. If we pay attention and I do mean close attention. Ms. Murphy would have seen the signs. Oh there is two sides to a story.

Written By: Mary Rupert
Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Marriage Then Divorce = Compensation (WOW!!!, What A Profit)

Marriage, it is a bond between two people and God, which is not to be entered into lightly, nor is it to be taken for granted and not to be used for your own selfish good. What profits a man to lose his soul and gain the whole world? (NOTHING) Neither party wins nor benefit from this; you’re entering into a marriage with the wrong intensions. What is the prenuptial all about?

Who ever is asking the other party to sign this agreement is already sending the signal, I JUST FLAT OUT DON’T TRUST YOU!!! and this marriage is doomed before we’re even married. Then the person says I’m just protecting myself/assets wake up people RED ALERT he or she is telling you again, I just flat out don’t trust you. What words are you not understanding the I or the trust. Think about this, then process it then react again, I DON’T TRUST YOU!!!! Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding by George I think they got it.

Let’s not forget about the people who marry for publicity reasons. How degrading is that, are you so desperate for your careers to advance that you have to sell your soul to make a profit? Why do we choose more wrong over right? I know some people say do a little wrong now and ask for forgiveness later. What if there is no later. People the divorce rate is sky high do any of you know what LOVE truly is or do you just flat out don’t give a darn. Marriage, divorce equals compensation. WOW!!!

If one truly loves you and vice versa prenuptials will never have entered your minds. Be honest with yourself who want to enter into a real marriage and doom it from the beginning to fail. Do any of you know anything about LOVE? I’m not talking about the love for your mother, brother or sister. I’m talking about love as a couple. Are the people in this world hurting that bad that we can’t trust and love one another the way there supposed to be loved? What’s so hard about that? Watch the signs people; it’s not that hard, trust me. If you’re really watching, oh you will definitely see good and bad signs it’s called “learning the one you’re with.”

We are slowly destroying the human race to a point where we are going to become extinct and the animals are going to be taking care of us. (Hmmm) You may smile about this but you need to learn what the word LOVE really mean and start implementing it into your lives. If by some chance you have children instill love into them as well we don’t need another statistic on our hands. People this is not a black and white issue this is a human race issue. Get it together before hate over powers you.

P.S. Please quit using your religion and getting married because you want to have sex. Don’t get me wrong you little satanic person it’s the right way just again, for the wrong reason. LOVE!!!!

Diana Todd-Banks   October 22nd, 2009 6:10 am ET

HI Larry,

From Australia:
Oh gosh Larry, your interview with Mary Murphy, made me realise how so much of what Mary said, I had buried too.

For those who've never experienced mental or physical abuse, it's difficult for them to comprehend how difficult it is to leave. How depressed and low you can feel, how useless, brainless, and incapable you can feel, and how difficult it is to comprehend you CAN have a life again.I have. Where each of us get the strength to rise above all that horror is very individual as is the way each of us do that, but oh thank you for having Mary on your show.

Incidentally, after having experienced abuse, a few later I had Chronic Fatigue, and could not walk or speak for 6 months, I'm now helping others with a very different subject that of death of a loved one and have written a book, that's a first in the field, as it deals with how to pack up a loved ones home. Never did I think I would have a chance at life again, let alone help others, but I have.

Diana Gold Coast Australia

Ted   October 22nd, 2009 9:16 am ET

Alex,

my respect and more power to you! You are a leader and make sure you lead your people the right direction. Confrontation will not bring anything good, show that you are as good as any WASP person and earn their respect.

Dodie ~ California   October 22nd, 2009 12:15 pm ET

@ John H

You are completely correct. I was just trying to make a point to someone in here.

Change is inevitable. It will always be. We will continue to have large families and over populate. I am just thankful I will not live long enough to see total mass starvation due to over population. We will exterminate ourselves. We do not need an outside source. Like you said… there is always change!!!

jarrod   October 22nd, 2009 7:46 pm ET

Maybe the real question should be : Do you think things in America are better for Americans.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter