CNN TV
SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

October 20, 2009

LKL Web Exclusive: David Arquette Helps Feed America

Posted: 03:01 PM ET

David Arquette: My Life Volunteering with Feeding America

Cox-ArquetteI’ve always been a supporter of a variety of charities. Doing something to give back makes us real, and makes us feel good in a very powerful and incredible way. About a year ago I decided it was time to roll up my sleeves, dig in deep, and really get involved beyond events and the red carpet.

As the economy took a turn for the worse, it became clear to me that too many people in our country were going to be hurting, really hurting - tired, hungry, and scared. The number of people lacking food in this great country of ours should be zero. So, I got involved with Feeding America (www.feedingamerica.org). It’s the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity, feeding more than 25 million Americans a year, with more than two billion pounds of food distributed annually through their network of more than 200 food banks serving all 50 states plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.

This September was Hunger Action Month. As the chairman of Feeding America's Entertainment Council, I got to really experience the variety of ways that individual citizens and corporate America are coming together to help solve domestic hunger. At the beginning of the month I put on a chef’s coat and traded cheesecake for canned food donations on the sets of ABC’s Cougar Town and Scrubs to kick-off the Cheesecake Factory’s “Drive Out Hunger” campaign (check out Courteney this week on Cougar Town for an important message about volunteering tied to the www.iParticipate.org initiative).

Arquette-Feeds-2The campaign went on to stop in a different city across the country each day of the month, collecting 321,992 cans for the network of Feeding America food banks. In mid-September, I went to New York to help launch Macy’s “Come Together” campaign which is on track to provide Feeding America with 10 million meals this fall. And to close Hunger Action Month, I helped produce the “Rock a Little, Feed a Lot” benefit concert with my friend Adam Shankman. It was a concert to not only raise funds, but awareness of the issue of domestic hunger. Once again so many people came together to lend their time and their voices–especially our friend Sheryl Crow who wrote a song for Feeding America, which she debuted that night and will soon be available for download, benefiting the charity.

Everything that I experienced during Hunger Action Month shows you that volunteering comes in all shapes and sizes. It can be fun and it ALWAYS makes you feel good, which is why I volunteer twice a week at a local food pantry in the community where I live. Touching people one-on-one is what it is truly all about.

When I hand groceries to a family and watch a child rip open the loaf of bread, it rips my heart, and I realize how much we still need to do with 1 in 6 American children being food insecure, not knowing where their next meal is coming from.

Arquette-Feeds-1Whatever your cause, there is an opportunity for you to help. I can all but guarantee that you’re going to be glad that you did something; anything. The experience of giving back has brought me closer to God and closer to myself; my true self. Sometimes I take my daughter Coco with me. I want to share with her the importance of loving others and working for the change you seek. Having her there with me brings heightened awareness to how blessed my family is, and how we need to all do our part to help those who are down on their luck.

The Entertainment Industry Foundation's iParticipate initiative is meant to inspire Americans to serve our country through volunteering and community service. All you have to do is log onto the www.iParticipate.org website to find a volunteer opportunity in your neighborhood. You can clean up parks and beaches, assemble care packages for soldiers, read to kids in school, or help out at your local food bank. We are all in this together.

We're all part of the same family, the same community, the same world. Nothing helps nurture our world more than caring for one another, having compassion toward our neighbors and cultivating a society based on the importance of Love. I think quoting Sheryl's song sums it up best, “Love is all we need”.

Filed under: David Arquette • Impact Your World • LKL Web Exclusive

Milo in Atlanta   October 20th, 2009 4:14 pm ET

Lou Dobbs would never approve of this – because some of that charity might go to the Latino children he so despises.

stephen cullen   October 20th, 2009 7:42 pm ET

It's a great idea but you are only plugging the hole, America should not be in this situation but it seems to prefer to rescue banks and motor industry than feed it's people...

Carmen Santiago   October 20th, 2009 8:19 pm ET

David, may Jesus Christ bless you and your family with love, may you always be safe from harm, may you all be very healthy and may your finances always be favorable. With more people like you, this world would be perfect. God bless...

MemoriesAlot2Me   October 20th, 2009 8:44 pm ET

Your guests should join my memories blog – A BAND a day, their music keeps the stress away and the MEMORIES alive. I invite you all! each day a new Band!

alex lyrics   October 20th, 2009 9:10 pm ET

David and his wife are great peple, I have a friend who has been friends with them sense the Riviera Country club days, and the two are very special people so ive herd.

Dave Perez   October 20th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

I beleive we have come a long way, George sitting there is proof of that, you were great when you were here in Detroit George, Clark Park , but as MLK said , we have come a long ways but we have much further to go , I beleive that people will start to see us for who we are ,People just like them we have made an impact in all areas , but yet there is so much work to be done, when we are seen as equals , then I will feel more comfortable,

Dave Perez

Adrian Mi

Dodie ~ California   October 21st, 2009 1:09 pm ET

David Arquette: Volunteering with Feeding America
What a noble cause!

I would also recommend we limit our population so this situation does not become worse!

Jim Carroll   October 21st, 2009 8:42 pm ET

If the Federal Government was doing its job, we wouldn't need you to feed any one. We need the Philosophy of Mixturism.

Callie   October 26th, 2009 5:36 pm ET

Courtney & David, God Bless you for your heartfelt compassion and love in reaching out to those in need. We are indeed all in this together. It's all about Conscousness, and it's all about Love, L.O.V.E! Please continue your missions, and spread the word about the AIM program as well to raise consciousness in all. On AIM for the past 27 months, and student of Dr. Eric Pearl & other world renown healers, we need to continue awakening consciousness in others to elevate the planet. Pass it along, it's all about Love, L.O.V.E.. C .: )

Jessie from Auckland, NZ   October 28th, 2009 12:52 pm ET

Thank you and many blessings to you and your family, for what you are doing to help your fellow-man. You are an inspiring and noble person.

Linda M Wood   November 9th, 2009 11:59 am ET

SO True------please read:
Let me see if I understand all this...

IF YOU CROSS THE NORTH KOREAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET 12 YEARS HARD LABOR.

IF YOU CROSS THE IRANIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU ARE DETAINED INDEFINITELY.

IF YOU CROSS THE AFGHAN BORDER ILLEGALLY, YOU GET SHOT.

IF YOU CROSS THE SAUDI ARABIAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE JAILED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CHINESE BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU MAY NEVER BE HEARD FROM AGAIN.

IF YOU CROSS THE VENEZUELAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE BRANDED A SPY AND YOUR FATE WILL BE SEALED.

IF YOU CROSS THE CUBAN BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU WILL BE THROWN INTO POLITICAL PRISON TO ROT.

IF YOU CROSS THE U.S. BORDER ILLEGALLY YOU GET A JOB, A DRIVERS LICENSE, SOCIAL SECURITY CARD, WELFARE, FOOD STAMPS, CREDIT CARDS, SUBSIDIZED RENT OR A LOAN TO BUY A HOUSE, FREE EDUCATION, FREE HEALTH CARE, A LOBBYIST IN WASHINGTON AND IN MANY INSTANCES YOU CAN VOTE.

Katelyn Henderson   June 17th, 2010 12:00 am ET

is David Arquette in anyway related to Patricia Arquette'"*

Jose Perez   July 15th, 2010 11:08 am ET

i like David Arquette as a comedian, he is like James Belushi somtimes.`;;

Anna Allen   August 30th, 2010 12:19 pm ET

how is David Arquette related to Patricia Arquette and Rosanna Arquette ?';:

Joe Mason   October 11th, 2010 3:33 am ET

David Arquette is also a very talented guy, i have met him once and he is a nice person too-."

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter