CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

September 17, 2009

Swayze memoir reveals how he learned he had cancer

Posted: 03:08 AM ET

Newsday

Patrick Swayze died at age 57 of pancreatic cancer. He fought the disease for nearly two years.In "The Time of My Life," his posthumously published memoir, Patrick Swayze reveals how he first got the devastating news 20 months ago that he had pancreatic cancer. The actor, who died Monday at 57, co-wrote the book with his wife Lisa Niemi. Excerpts will appear in the new issue of People magazine, out tomorrow.

"I had been having some digestive trouble, mostly acid reflux and a kind of bloated feeling, for a few weeks," Swayze writes in the book, which will be released Sept. 29. "I've had a sensitive stomach my whole life, so I hadn't thought much of it, but lately I just couldn't shake the constant discomfort."

Swayze knew what he was facing. "My doctor told me my chances of surviving for more than a few months weren't high," he writes, "and I had no reason to doubt him."

(Read More)

Filed under: Larry King Live • Patrick Swayze

Robert Black   September 17th, 2009 5:24 pm ET

Patrick Swayze – rest in peace and may God be with you. I have always like his acting. Yes it is hard to believe that he has passed away. Blessing to the surviving family.

Gloria*   September 17th, 2009 10:09 pm ET

Patrick Swayze made very good movies and some of them I've seen so many times, so much a love them:
I will be watching them again, My heart is with his family, God be with you. I liked his sense of love, friendship,and humanity.

Elloween   September 17th, 2009 10:29 pm ET

Death is such a cruel reality, it comes and takes the ones we love and we just have to let them go. What cruelty! Patrick Swayze is an international name which will always be membered. I wish his loved ones strength through these tough times.

carol kesling   September 18th, 2009 12:22 am ET

god bless you patrick, prayers to your wife & family !!!!!!!!!!!! you will be missed .....

Hugh   September 18th, 2009 12:58 am ET

Stay positive everyone... Patrick is still with us... we just can't see him..

Jason   September 18th, 2009 7:29 am ET

RIP Patrick. You've been a hero figure of mine since I was a kid. I grew up watching your movies, you were one of the greats. While you continue your journey, you'll be remembered here.

Terrie   September 18th, 2009 9:26 am ET

Cancer is a very wicked disease which needs to be eradicated. It is called the "silent killer' because it is hard to detect it while it is still in its early stages. I have lost friends and my beloved pets from cancer ..my friends had no idea they had cancer until they only had few days to live. My best friend's mom had a stomach ache which she thought that she was coming down with a stomach flu. The family took her to the emergency room of the hospital and the medical staff ran tests on her. They found she was at the end stages of cancer and only had 4 days to live. It was horrific to see her in her final days!

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter