CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

August 31, 2009

Kidnapping Suspect's Father: 'I Believe My Son Killed'

Posted: 12:27 PM ET

Editor's Note: Larry King Live will have the latest developments on the case tonight at 9pmET/6pmPT.

From New York Post

art_garrido_justiceHis own dad thinks he's not only a sexually perverted monster, but a murderer, too.

Manuel Garrido, 87, sullenly acknowledged yesterday that he believes his son Phillip - charged in the horrifying child abduction and rape of Jaycee Dugard - is also the killer in a slew of unsolved cases involving prostitutes and other young women.

"He was a sex addict - that was his problem," Manuel Garrido told The Post. "I believe my son killed the prostitutes."

Meanwhile, authorities combing through the Antioch, Calif., house and property where Garrido and his wife, Nancy, lived - keeping a secret hell-hole compound of shacks and sheds to conceal Jaycee and the two daughters fathered by Phillip Garrido - started to board up the home yesterday afternoon.

Officials fear that disgusted neighbors will try to burn the place down, sources said.

The Garridos have been charged in the abduction and rape case involving Dugard, who was kidnapped at age 11 from a bus stop near her South Lake Tahoe home and turned into a sex slave for 18 years.

(READ MORE)

Filed under: Crime

Willzwife   August 31st, 2009 1:30 pm ET

I would like one of these "Psychotherapists" to comment on the Jacey Duggard case, as it should be and stop asking WHY DIDN'T SHE LEAVE. There have been too many questions why and not enough explanation that horrible people like this brain wash these kids. She was 11 and had a baby at 14. Why don't these people think- what can an 11 yr old really do when trapped in this situation. What mother would TRY to escape in this situation and risk her kids. We don't know the horrible things she went through all these years. She could have been told the parents were killed by these horrible people. We all don't know the situation, we all need to stop asking why didn't she leave. Think people!! Ask the abused adult why they didn't leave- don't ask that of a child in horrible a situation. Don't question her, find ways to support her!

Lynda Tilley   August 31st, 2009 2:39 pm ET

Criticizing The local Anticoch police for not checking the Garrido's house 3 years ago is warrented, BUT how about the FBI eighteen years earlier! Where were they then? They are the ones who should be criticizied!!!
When this girl was taken in 1991, why didn't the FBI run a list of kidnappers who had been released from prison in recent years (Garrido in 1988) find out where their crime was done (So. Lake Tahoe) and match it up with the kidnapping of Dugard (So. Lake Tahoe) and go to where he was living at the time and check him out!
He was and is on a life time parole, wearing an ankle bracelet. They should have known where to find him. They had a description of the car he used in the kidnapping, which he still had. Why not question the FBI! What did they do for this case back in 1991!!!

CJ   August 31st, 2009 3:31 pm ET

Could the people running this blog stop posting this crazy man's crazy evil picture. At least any involving him looking right at us?

I'm not being funny. I'm serious.

Thanks!

Wendell   August 31st, 2009 4:14 pm ET

Isn't it convenient that kidnapped Jaycee Dugard only birthed girls. Garrido likes raping girls and Jaycee has only girls?
If any of her baby's were born boys Garrido could have killed them. He could then brainwash the young naive Jaycee it was her fault. That could easily scare her into not running away.
Jaycee needs to be asked if she gave birth more then twice.
I think the police are going to hit a dead end with the 'Maybe He Killed The Prostitutes' theory.
If I were the police I'd try the 'Maybe He Killed A Baby' theory too.

Dodie ~ California   August 31st, 2009 6:05 pm ET

@ Willzwife

(((learned helplessness)))

is a phenomena in which you are unable to free yourself and suffer continued beatings or threats, you finally just give up and accept the situation. Especially at the age of 11. Another coping strategy is….the detachment of feelings. I am sure Garrido threatened her life numerous times and when she had children, he probably threatened their lives. She saw ((( no safe way out for her and her children and ended up accepting her situation and relationship with Garrido

CWDC   August 31st, 2009 8:51 pm ET

I agree, CJ. Keep that evil picture off this blog and off CNN.

Gerry   August 31st, 2009 9:23 pm ET

He will be treated like another Charles Manson in a Prison for the rest of his life and their will be a New Movie for Hollywood.

DonaldLAllen or ILeeBot   August 31st, 2009 9:45 pm ET

yes larry king I dont work with the sitem the sitem work to take advange of me you no wen they see me but wen I see sum one how need help I do what I can if I can do so but the thing is the people can be the one how hert you the most I hop you no what I mean so you or goood or you or no good and the sitem we no is no good they had a resen to cover this up you no how it work I,M for justis no mater what I do hop you understand what I mean and I hop you no you well never get the hole store and that is it they have dun this all the time sum time I hop sum one well stan up to them that is what we need so with that I well see you larry king hop you can read my french Donald L Allen it a cover up so you want see the hole trufe

Soochy   August 31st, 2009 11:47 pm ET

Couldn't the old man have told the FBI about these suspicions, a whole lot earlier ? Fool.

Deborah   September 1st, 2009 12:16 am ET

Judge sentences rapist to 50 to life = Rapist out after only 10 years kidnaps child, rapes & holds her for 18 years. Doesn't add up. Parole board should have the answer. Right?.. right? Parole board? hello?? ...Is there anybody there??

Cop shows up to home after complaint of "woman & children" living in tents in backyard" ( Clearly a place to LOOK)., but does...NOTHING.

Parole officer who is supposed to make regular visits has NEVER been to backyard, despite (see above) previous complaint of woman and children living in tents. Overburdened? Then get a new JOB!

Sandy   September 1st, 2009 12:22 am ET

How can a man sentenced to 50 years to life get out of prison after 11 years??

Patrick   September 1st, 2009 1:01 am ET

I want this parole officer fired. This is a blatant example of how low our legal system has gone. I hope our Senators and Congressmen use this case as a launch pad for serious reform to the justice system. For any of you who do not know the story of Danieal Kelly's death in Philadelphia. Google it. People, Please take these two separate but horrible senerio's and use them for motivation to write your Congressman and Senators. I am writing my letter tonight.

Peter   September 1st, 2009 1:28 am ET

this is to show us the American people how we can't trust the law enforcement, cups are lazy and the FBI are only waiting for their pay checks, I'm talking from my own experience, walking in to a police station to file a complaint of a rubbery with the tape from the surveillance camera, and the first thing the desk officer told me, it’s not a crime, and they have no time to investigate it now, only after yelling at him and the captain did they let me see a detective, and yes it was a crime!, the case involving Dugard is a black and white case for an FBI agent, a man that was convicted of kidnapping and taking a person in to a warehouse that was fixed up to hold someone in it for the purposes of sex, that by luck was saved on the same day, is a warning light for me, can't they see it? It was only a matter of time before he strikes again, for the police it’s all a baseball game, the three strikes and you’re out law, not one, three, so, as sick as it sounds, lucky for you Mr. Garrido, if the cup’s will not find any dead prostitutes, we’ll see you back here real soon.

Anatoly   September 1st, 2009 1:30 am ET

I want this lazy parole officer arrested sentenced and thrown in prison for “helping” to commit this horrible crime.

Wanda   September 1st, 2009 2:21 am ET

It is a shame that both the County Sheriff's Department and the State Parole Division failed. Aren't registered sex offenders classified as high control cases. I feel that the public needs to be concerned about the relations between the County Sheriff's Department and the State Parole Department and or Agency because it can make a big difference in how business is conducted in regards to the safety of the community. They need to work together as a team and not let politics get in the way. I encourage the community to get involved and not assume that just because law enforcement was called out doesn't mean that they have everything under control. Neighbors know and understand more about their enviornment and are more available to be watchment.

Will   September 1st, 2009 3:52 am ET

How is it that an agency (FBI) that is supposed to be an elite agency not find this guy. I mean what were they doing? Then someone calls a complaint about children living in the backyard. Cop shows up and never, I mean never looks in the %#$&@% backyard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then this monster is on parole and the parole officer in 18 years never steps foot into a sexual offender's backyard that is on parole for raping a woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the $#%@ is going on with these so-called law enforcement people!!!!!!!!!!!!!??? There is no earthly excuse that any of these law enforcement people could possibly make up and convince me that they are pathetic excuses for law enforcement!

Kathleen   September 1st, 2009 9:47 am ET

What about the wife, Nancy? How did she fit into this scene? Did she work? Wasnt she jealous of Philips relationship with Jaycee and then the girls? Why would she stand by while her husband abducted someone? What was her relationship with Philip ? What ws her relationship with Jaycee? Jaycee was referred to as an older sister. Did the girls really think Jaycee was their sister and not their mother?

James   September 1st, 2009 1:31 pm ET

I can't believe that his parole officers never suspected anything going on even though they were required to make visits. I think the parole officers should be fired. They absolutely failed.

LP   September 1st, 2009 1:59 pm ET

Our Judicial system does not punish the criminals enough. If the punishment fits the crime the criminals will have to think before they committ any serious and horrible crimes.

Terry   September 1st, 2009 2:51 pm ET

This is another perfect example for the law enforcement failed to their job because they rather sit on their lazy A**** and collect their paychecks! The police went to the Garrido home and didn't further investigate. If the police were very conscientious in doing their job as best as possible, they would have been able to rescue Jaycee three years earlier.

This is another example where the police dropped the ball on the Caylee Anthony case where the utilities worker Roy Kronk called to report a black plastic back in the woods. He called several times for the police to check the woods for the black plastic bag and what did the police guy do??? He didn't go investigate it thoroughly. Last Dec. , the plastic bag in the woods contained little Caylee Anthony's skeletal remains!

Matt   September 1st, 2009 3:11 pm ET

There has been a lot of talk about the Dugard girls and how they were fathered by Garrido, but what if they were actually other abducted children? I'm certain this has already been looked into, but this has really been bothering me. What if the girls that are supposedly Jaycee's daughters, someone else's missing children? Shouldn't someone conduct a blood test to prove they are in fact Jaycee's and Garrido's kids? It was said they never went to the doctor so there is likely not much in the way of birth records for either of the girls. Also, was anyone else annoyed by the guy last night on Larry King who was defending his parole officer's actions? I almost threw something at my TV when I heard him repeatedly talk about "Supervised Parole" and what a good job his officer did. It was their responsibility to check everything at that known predator's home and like James says above, they failed...miserably. That is just as much a crime as the abduction/rape/imprisonment itself. As for Garrido? Goodbye "Short eyes"...Inmates have a system for dealing with child predators. Hopefully, they will rape YOU for 18 years...BEFORE they kill you.

Shirley   September 1st, 2009 4:50 pm ET

Dear Mr. Larry King,

I want to say Thank-you for keeping people posted on the news about the death of Our Friend and singer Michael Jackson. I am sadden by the loss of a dear friend. Michael lives on forever in our lives. I pray often for Michael along side his children and his family. Michael Jackson was so talented and God gave him this. He shared his talent to all those who saw him at concerts and on T.V.

I will not forget what he has said don't listen to what you hear about me. Wait till you hear it from me. Michael is right and I adore him so much. He has precious wonderful children please, let them know that on my behave.

I have a question; Will the Jackson Family have a tribute for Michael here in North America? I would like very much to go to Vienna, Austria, but some of us can't afford it. I wanted so much to go to his memorial but wasn't able. Please know how much it would mean to me if they had one not far. If not can you help me get to the Tribute for Michael Jackson.

I love motown music so much. In fact I am from Montreal and I was able to see Stevie Wonder for free at the Jazz Festival. Could you make my wish come true. Thank- you again for up date news about Michael Jackson. I miss MIchael dearly, he has a special spot in my heart and so do his precious children. I love them so much.

Sincerly,

Shirley

angie   September 2nd, 2009 4:54 pm ET

why are you talking about michael jackson? stay on topic. I am so sickened by this story. poor jaycee and her daughters i hope they get all the help they need and can recover from this nightmare!

JessBottles   September 3rd, 2009 1:49 am ET

The compound and home there should be treated as Gacy's house was – razed to the ground after ALL possible evidence is collected. Secondly, I agree with all of the commenters commenting about his photo. Please remove and desist posting this photo on every story about this monster. Use alternative photographs in which he is not staring into the camera, it's awful. We are THOROUGHLY sickened by this man and this story and especially the lifetime of monstrous deeds that he did and got away with all of this time.

olgeya   December 10th, 2009 10:54 am ET

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter