CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

July 2, 2009

Michael Jackson's Neverland memorial plan canned!

Posted: 12:40 AM ET

**NOTE** The Michael Jackson memorial at Neverland Ranch idea has been officially ruled out.  That doesn't mean we're out of luck in seeing a behind-the-scenes glimps of how the King of Pop lived.  Tonight at 9pm ET, Larry King Live will broadcast live from the grounds of Neverland Ranch.  We will gather all of the inside scoop and deliver it on CNN and here on the LKL Blog.

By Dawnn Behrens

Workers fix the gate at Neverland Ranch's entrance this week in Los Olivos, California.Fans around the world are waiting for the final details of Michael Jackson's funeral. Speculations had been made by many that a public memorial would be held at Jackson’s former home “ Neverland Ranch”. But today a Jackson family spokesman says a public memorial for Michael Jackson is in the works, but it won't be held at the Pop Icon’s Neverland Ranch. The Jackson family has remained inside the family compound since last week, and father Joe Jackson said there will be no final arrangements made until the results of the second autopsy are completed.

A PR firm Sunshine,Sachs, and Associates has recently been hired by the Jackson's to handle the media requests regarding the funeral arrangements. Publicist Ken Sunshine released a statement today saying that he's representing the Jackson estate and that “no burial would take place at Neverland”.

Neverland is presently owned by a equity firm “Colony Capital”. This week the forms representative consulted with Santa Barbara County officials about burying Jackson at the ranch. It has been reported they were told that burying Michael at Never land would require overcoming a huge sea of governmental red tape.

(Read More)

Filed under: Larry King Live • Michael Jackson

CherylSaynHi   July 2nd, 2009 12:47 am ET

I still can't believe we are talking about funeral arrangements for Michael Jackson. Not that anyone lives forever, but he's not one of those people you think about ever passing away, and yet, when they do, it's a total shock! It's unfathomable. RIP Michael Jackson. Prayers of comfort for your family and close friends.

Piper   July 2nd, 2009 12:49 am ET

I am glad his public memorial at Neverland is cancelled! Let the man rest in peace and his family grieve in peace!

Michelle   July 2nd, 2009 12:54 am ET

Tht nurse doesn't have ne common sence cuz everyone know tht you need a subcription from the doctor in order to buy ne medicine.

Pirouz Maghsoudnia   July 2nd, 2009 12:59 am ET

Please enough of Michael Jackson. There are thousands of people being being murdered and tortured in Iran and all you can talk about is the content of him will? Is this what humanity has come to? Shame on us.

Piper   July 2nd, 2009 1:02 am ET

Every night after my family goes to bed I sit and watch CNN to hear about Michael Jackson.....I have always envyed fame and fortune that these stars have, but now my thoughts have changed! Every night I become more sad realizing what this man had to live through and now what his family is having to deal with. My heart goes out to his family especially his mother and his children. Thank God he had his mothers love! I am sure he had happy days but it looks like there was many sad ones to! No mother should have to bury her son and when people are quick to criticize remember he was someones child, father, brother and friend!

Margie   July 2nd, 2009 1:32 am ET

Memorial will be at the Staple Center in LA. Tuesday. If anyone goes...report back please.

Debbie   July 2nd, 2009 3:20 am ET

Having been a teenager growing up in the 80's, MJ was a symbol of my youth as I'm sure he is for millions. He is loved and will be sincerely missed.

Debbie   July 2nd, 2009 3:22 am ET

Shame on you Joe Jackson for using your son's death as a platform to promote your new record label.

Patsy   July 2nd, 2009 3:23 am ET

Michael Jacson was a man-child. I hope his tortured soul is now at peace.

detroiter   July 2nd, 2009 3:49 am ET

MJ might have been the best talent born into the modern age of music ever. The voice, dance, command of the stage, are unsurrpassed in modern times. Brilliance from the 5 to thriller is a slam dunk. Equal to that gift is the absolute bizzarre-ness since his early career. He's a body mutilater, peter pan loving, drug addicted man who admitted sharing beds with boys. What a dichotomy....long live the early music and equally long live his disturbing side to serve as an example of how bad to screw up absolute gift

please reference the chandler childs statement from 1993. it's awful but too vivid to be false [this coming from a guy who collects vinyl and loves MJ]. it's no wonder his finances are in disarray from all the payouts he's given over these many years....

Nesjette   July 2nd, 2009 3:56 am ET

Hi
I've always been a great fan of Michael, can the media let the guy rest in peace and celebrate his greatness! How must his family feel???
But one thing Larry can do for us is to find out if the following is the truth. Michael's real fans knows that he was NEVER a child molester.... But the world needs to know it....so the Media's crucified him in life.... Now clear his name and let his soul rest on peace!!!!

The truth emerges
Monday, 29 June 2009 15:17

The boy who accused Michael Jackson of sexually abusing him in 1993 has now come forward and admitted he lied.

Jordan Chandler told a psychiatrist and police that he and MJ had engaged in sexual acts that included oral sex. The case was settled out of court for a reported $22 million, but the strain of the accusations appear to be what started Michael on his road to painkiller addiction.

Jordan now says, “I never meant to lie and destroy Michael Jackson but my father made me to tell only lies. Now I can’t tell Michael how much I’m sorry and if he will forgive me.”

Jordan also claims he was under the influence of his father, Evan Chandler, who allegedly instructed his son to tell the lies so the family could escape poverty.

“Now for the first time I can’t bare to lie anymore. Michael Jackson didn’t do anything to me, all was my father lies to escape from being poor.”

detroiter   July 2nd, 2009 4:07 am ET

MJ might have been the the best talent born into the modern age of music. The voice, dance steps, command of stage, and video integration are unsurpassed in the genre. Brilliance from the Jackson 5 to Thriller is a slam dunk. Equal to that genious is his bizzare behavior since. He was a body mutilating, peter pan loving, admitted drug abusing man who acknowledged sleeping with little boys. Those are facts. What a dichotomy....long live the early years and long live the ones since on how to squander an absolute gift from above

Ben Owens   July 2nd, 2009 5:17 am ET

Michael Jackson was not Jesus.. Get on with your lives 🙂

Joseph   July 2nd, 2009 5:22 am ET

He was and alway will be the King Of Pop in our hearts

Jazzie   July 2nd, 2009 5:41 am ET

Cherilyn Lee- I think she's a flop and trying to get publicity for herself. How could she revealed private details of MJ's health. I wouldn't want to employ such a nurse for sure.

CHINENYE   July 2nd, 2009 5:45 am ET

MJ is Classic. We will miss him.

Jazzie   July 2nd, 2009 5:46 am ET

Reading back on MJ's life, I could only blame his parents. I could only pray that MJ's children will not lead a life like him but well taken care of.

Kruebin   July 2nd, 2009 6:22 am ET

It’s really amazing how we revere drug users (Elvis) and possible, if not probable, pedophiles (MJ); it really says a lot about us a society. So what if they can carry a tune or cut a rug, a low life is still a low life. Has it occurred to anyone that maybe MJ killed himself because he could no longer afford to get what he really wanted? I mean, how many tens of millions of dollars, out of court settlements can one person really afford? Enough of this crap.

Reese   July 2nd, 2009 7:54 am ET

I'm upset that the mayor of Gary Indiana says all roads lead to Gary. I'm from Gary Indiana and let me tell you The city has been on a decline ever since the Jackons left. There is no musem or program that the city or the Jackson have left behind for there home town. There are abandon buldings on every block, pot holes in the streets, stop signs posted where traffic lights supposed to work. Unemployment is 3 times the national average and crime has always been in the top 5 for the nation. A number of schools have closed down so where do the roads lead no where. If you have a dream in that town you just want to get out and dont look back. The jackons did just that and if the Mayor wanted to reach out to the jackson family it should have happen a long time ago to help the city out of its hole. I believe the Mayor is trying to profit off the death of its most famous son.
Larry there is a story on Gary Indiana alone look into it.

Denise Morfe   July 2nd, 2009 10:39 am ET

I was watching the Today Show broadcasting from Neverland. It brought me back a few days while thinking of Michael Jackson. A song came on the radio, I don’t know the name of the song but it goes like this….Off to Never, Neverland. I immediately thought of MJ, what a beautiful person!! In my opinion I think he should be buried at NL. He touched the World!
Another angel to look after everyone. I thought about the song again this morning and my thoughts were, M.J., R.I.P., You were peace….

p.s. This is my first comment. I would LOVE a copy of Larry King’s book.
(It was worth a try)

Kandy   July 2nd, 2009 1:13 pm ET

I cannot believe how selfish our world has become. Here we all are, the so-called fans of MJ just thinking about ourselves and wondering when we can go to his public memorial. Why can't people just stop being so self-centered like Michael was and let his poor family mourn their great loss? Doesn't anyone think that maybe they'd like to grieve in peace and privately. It should be up to his children and his family where they'd like their father, son, and brother buried not us. How would everyone feel if that was their family member where everyone was trying to tell you where to hold a memorial or even bury them? As for Nurse Lee, all I can say is big HIPPA violation.. Where are your medical ethics and whatever happened to patient confidentiality? Did Michael give you permission to talk about his medical issues publically? Also, great fake tears or are those tears of joy thinking about how much money you can make with his story? As for Jorday Chandler.... I think it's a bit too late to ask Michael for his forgiveness. He's already paid the ultimate price for your lies. I hope you and your father are proud of yourselves and I hope you still have plenty of MJ's money to last you for the rest of your lives...Rest in peace Michael and my heart, soul and thoughts go out to your children and family I know they are hurting immensely and I just wish I could make it all better for them. You will forever live in all of us.

Christina Dang   July 2nd, 2009 2:40 pm ET

Michael Jackson , an entertainment icon, global humaniterian but most importantly a soul with a heart of gold that was an inspiration to us all. R.I.P Michael J. Jackson , Gone Too Soon But Never Forgotten. ❤

Emilio   July 2nd, 2009 3:45 pm ET

Michael's Death doesn't shock me, I've seen way to many musicians and entertainers die, through the years, and mostly all of them due to Drugs..... (i.e Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison....I can go on and on).

It's the nature of the business !! and it will continue.....

We, must accept the fact, that we all will die someday, some earlier than others, it's un-avoidable !!. Like so many artists before him,Michael's legacy will continue through his music !

Diane   July 2nd, 2009 4:13 pm ET

QUESTION (which I would really like an answer to):

Since Michael Jackson had said he never wanted to return to Neverland, why did his family try to do a public memorial in Neverland?

Sandra Cole   July 2nd, 2009 5:41 pm ET

Dear Michael

Dear Michael,

I was home on Thursday evening getting ready to go out when Breaking News came on the TV , it said that you had collapsed and you where taken to the hospital.
I just figured that it was something to do with dehydration, or exhaustion since you where probably rehearsing for your upcoming shows in London.

But then a second Breaking News bulletin came on the TV and it said that you had died. I immediately felt my heart sink, I didn’t want to believe it I couldn’t, I didn’t want too. I fought it as long as I could, then there was no denying you where really gone.

Your music has transcended across many lines & obstacles, you wrote the book on musicology, you are the forefront for many other artists they all follow your technique and lean towards your inner creative genius all made possible because of you Michael.

I cannot put into context the words I need to formulate to express the emotions that I’m feeling. I’m so saddened that you where in so much pain.
It’s not your fault the emotional pain that you endured
I hope in heaven you are doing well and have found that release from that sadness.
Though I will try to be strong and not to cry, but I must admit it will be difficult. I don’t think you would want any of us to cry, but we loved you so much and this world just isn’t the same without you Michael.

I know you wouldn’t want us to cry, so I will take by example the life you led, which was to love, sing, dance and embrace the world around.
Dear Michael.

A.R. In las vegas   July 2nd, 2009 8:37 pm ET

I agree that we need to have feelings for the Jackson family and let them make their choice of where they lay our beloved Michael to rest however the selfish side of me would love to see him laid to rest at neverland. He created that magical place and loved it very much even after everything he truely was most alive there and I think he deserves his own "graceland" since I believe he is the ALL TIME BEST and I know that I for one would be a frequent visitor with my children.
I can not shake this overwhelming sadness and feel like I need some sort of closure for the simple fact that with his death was the loss of a HUGE part of my adolesence and life.It was Michael Jackson 's music and his heart for the world that made my father accept the fact that the father of my kids was a black man and opened his eyes to love is color blind and for that Michael I am forever grateful. R I P

James31   July 2nd, 2009 10:06 pm ET

PIROUZ-we all know of the sad events going on in the word. MJ brought us a lot of joy over many years and he did a lot of good things for charities. Allow us to escape for a few days from the ugliness in the world and mourn someone who brought us joy. Could you please.

Kruebin   July 3rd, 2009 6:11 am ET

Oh I agree – MJ did touch the world, some of it’s’ inhabitants more so than others. He gave new meaning to the phrase “suffer the little children, to come onto me”. Look, the man obviously had issues – he wanted to change from a black man to a white woman and to a large extent, he succeeded – that’s quite a feat! Granted, much of his issues could probably be traced back to early events in his life (too much or not enough parental love, a perverted uncle, too much pressure, etc) but the fact remains that, as an adult he had the power of choice. How many people in their right minds dangle an infant from a window? If I tried that, I’d probably be arrested for child endangerment.

barberess   July 3rd, 2009 7:37 pm ET

Personally, I am happy that Michael will not be buried at Neverland.....he left that place after the trials about the child molestations, because he said the place was now tainted, and lost the special feeling he had for it. He said he would never return to Neverland. To bury him there would be an unhappy resting place, not a peaceful one.

vivian mangen   July 3rd, 2009 8:42 pm ET

as i watched the announcement of having the memorial service at the staples center but there is not going to be a body could it be that there is not going to be a body because they have already laid him to rest?! i know when my late husband passed away the funeral director told me that it really is very important to get the person buried within 5 days due to the body decomp.. mj was the greatest humaniterian of our time..and as far as pain pills , well i am on perscription pain pills and have been for about 2 yrs only because doctors cant always fix the problem , they are not gods so pain pills are the next best thing ..maybe now mj can get the sleep he needed..

Patsy   July 6th, 2009 1:06 pm ET

To Kruegin......PLEASE read nesjette's post above, and then stop spreading your lies. Jordan Chandler has now issued a statement that Michael NEVER molested him, and that his father made him tell the lies so they could get money from Michael to escape their poverty!! Michael took bad advice from someone to "pay off" Jordan Chandler, instead of fighting the charges against him. When another greedy parent and her son tried the same swindle, Michael refused to pay THEM off because he was NOT GUILTY, just as Jordan now admits. The second time, Michael went through the public humiliation of a trial because he was NOT GUILTY!!

Why are people always ready to believe the worst? Just because he was eccentric doesn't make him a child molester. So he had some plastic surgeries.....big deal. Most people have something about their looks they wish they could change.....we just don't have the money to do it. In Michael's case, his father made fun of his nose repeatedly during puberty, which is a very sensitive time for a child because their bodies are changing. I think it's about time that we stop spreading vicious lies and rumors.

Michael Jackson was, first and foremost, a humanitarian. He has helped more children than we will ever know with their medical bills, and gave them (mostly handicapped kids, and kids dying of cancer) the treat of visiting Neverland, where they could ride the rides, lay in bed in a special room in his theater to see a movie, eat all the popcorn and candy they wanted, and just generally enjoy themselves and forget their problems for awhile.

Michael Jackson was never able to enjoy a childhood, so he spent his life enjoying childhood with other children. How sad. My father was an angel compared to Joe Jackson. Even now he is trying to use his son's death for profit. I read that the Jackson family wants Michael buried in their compound. I suspect Joe would then charge admission to anyone wanting to visit Michael's grave (but that is only MY opinion).

Finally, Michael was the consummate entertainer. His dance moves have been copied endlessly by new and upcoming artists. He had a unique voice, and his talent was unmeasurable. Yes, we should never forget his music, but we should also never forget what a wonderful person he was. God bless you, Michael. I hope that in death you have found the peace you always longed for in life.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter