CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 30, 2009

LKL last night – we talked with director of "Thriller" video

Posted: 10:23 AM ET

Here's a clip of last night's LKL – we had John Landis, the director of Michael Jackson's "Thriller" video on the show:

Filed under: Larry King Live • Michael Jackson

Deborah T   June 30th, 2009 10:41 am ET

I was 11 years old when the Jackson 5 hit the radio waves all those years ago. I loved them then and when the group broke up and went their separate ways, I thought that would be the end of it. Then Michael proved to all that he could make it in the dog-eat-dog world of entertainment alone. He was a great man and performer even with . all the accusations levied against him. I've heard rumors since his death, that none of them were true. Too bad the rumors weren't heard before Michael's death. Now he's gone and much of the world along with his family feels the hurt and loss that goes along with the death of a loved one.
I have two questions: 1. why didn't the doctor at Michael's bedside put Michael on the floor when he was found to have no pulse and wasn't breathing? 2. Is the nanny a medical professional with stomach pumps at her disposal? She claims to have "pumped" Michael's stomach several times because he supposedly had taken "too many" drugs. Michael is gone and will be missed. But he will forever live thru his music.

ytk   June 30th, 2009 10:44 am ET

The boy, now he must be a young man, I want to thank you for finally telling the truth. Although it is too late for Michael but not his kids and us his fans. His father must be send to jail and stripped of all the money. That boy needs counselling to live with such guilty is torturing. Long live Michael we will never forget you and your songs. Michael had a presence that is similiar to Nelson Mandela, Princess Di and Mother Teresa. Whether you agree or not, deep down we all know Michael was the greatest, is the greatest and remins the greatest. I LOVE YOU MICHAEL REST IN PEACE

Su in Korea   June 30th, 2009 11:10 am ET

Enough already. The whole world was not in love with Michael Jackson. Yes, it's sad that he died – how many others also died that day? At least one was Farrah Fawcett – is Larry going to give equal time to her?

marie dee   June 30th, 2009 11:15 am ET

Oh my goodness. I am so perplexed about the media coverage on this sad event in our lifetime. Michael jackson.. what a talent yes.. BUT... WHAT A SCREWED UP FAMILY II AM SORT OF WONDERING IF THIS IS ALL REAL.. BEING HIS FMILY ALREADY BEING SEN IN PUBLIC ANDHOLDING LAUGHable news conferences promioting record labels and Janet going on the BET awards.. what is there not a mourning closed door time period..

marie dee   June 30th, 2009 11:23 am ET

DID MICHAEL FAKE HIS DEATH AND GO OFF TO SOME UNKNOWN CORNER OF THE UNIVERSE to seek calmness and to not k now what is going on here with the bankruptcy and his children.. I DO NOT KNOW BUT SOMETHING IS FISHY.. HIS DAD SAYING HE WISHES MICHAEL WAS HERE., WHERE.? when someone dies you say he would of been so overwhelmed to see the love of the people.. NOT HE WISHES HE WAS HERE..????i JUST THINK ITS VERY QUESTIONABLE.. THE WHOLE SITUATION.. AND WHO HAS A HELICOPTER STANDING BY TO TRANSPORT A DEAD BODY TOTHEMORGUE.. !! i ENJOYED HIS MUSIC THROUGH MY KIDS AT THAT TIME.. BUT PLEASE IF THIS IS A SHAM TO RECOOP MONIES HIS FAMILY IS STILL LIVING OFF OF HIM.. I HOPE FATHER JOE LOOKS OVER HIS SHOULDER FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE.. SEEMS AS THOUGH HE WILL STILL REEP THE BENEFITS OF MICHAEL WITHOUT GIVING THE ABUSE TO HIM HE WAS USED TO.. JUST MY OPINION.. ANY ONE ELSE WONDERING..!!!!

Linda strachan   June 30th, 2009 11:25 am ET

I have never been much of a fan of Michael Jackson, never a devoted fan. However, I did and will always appreciate his musical genius.l remember sitting in absolute AWE when his Thriller video was introduced. It was heartbreaking as well as sickening when his personal life took a downturn, and the allegations of Child molestation charges were filed. I can certainly see when I listen to
his "grief stricken" father how he most likely did have "ISSUES" Someone needs to keep his "father" away from the media!! Has anyone noticed the comment, "WE JUST LOST THE BIGGEST STAR???? What is that??????HOW BOUT..WE JUST LOST OUR
SON!!!!!!!!!!I just lost MY SON!!!!! Then there is ..I DONT LIKE WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!!!!!!!Some people should just shut up and sit down!!!

marie dee   June 30th, 2009 11:33 am ET

IS MICHAEL REALLY DEAD..!!! GET ON THIS ONE GIRALDO ...HIS FAMILY ARE MOOCHERS.. AND JANET IS A LIME LIGHTER.. OH MY GOD.. STAY HOME AND MOURN IF THIS IS THE REAL THING.. THIS SUDDEN TRAGEDY SUPPOSEDLY TOOK EVERYONE OFF GUARD.. I AINT BUYING IT.. THAT MAN MICHAEL WAS TORTURED ALL HIS LIFE AND THIS WAS HIS WAY OUT OF HELL. WHATEVER IT IS.. I AM GLAD HE IS GONE SOMEWHERE BETTER AND RESTFUL.. I AM SURE HE IS HAVNG A GOOD LAUGH ON THIS ONE.. ALL THE MONIES HIS FAMILY THINKS THEY ARE GOING TO GET.. OOH MY GOD WHAT A MEAL TICKET MICHAEL WAS.. HIS DAD SHOULD BE PUT AWAY AND TORTURED IN THE BOWELS OF SOME PRISON AND TORTURE CHAMBER..
REST MICHAEL.. ENOUGH OF THIS ALREADY.. OH MY GOODNESS. WE COULD BE BOMBED AND TERRORIZED AND WE ARE FOCUSE D ON THIS MAN.. LEAVE HIM ALONE... ETERNITY TO YOU MICHAEL..
SMILE..

Sue   June 30th, 2009 11:44 am ET

After watching Lou Ferrigno and Marlon Brando's son talk about Michael, I thought: " That is inconsistent with what I have read about Michael's autopsy report and what the nanny of Michael's children said.

How could Michael be in such good shape, as Lou claimed, and then, just a month later, be found to be in the horrific condition as reported from the autopsy? Also, the nanny reported having to pump Michael's stomach repeatedly due to excessive medication. She also said how his children cowered when he came in the room.

I realize folks want Michael to 'rest in peace', and only remember the good times and his immense popularity. But, the flip side is glaringly obvious, too.

Eizabeth Sorensen   June 30th, 2009 12:25 pm ET

Joe Jackson, in my opinion, is a disgrace to the memory of his son, Michael. By Michaels own admission on national TV, his father abused him, told him his nose was too big and belittled him. We have seen the results of this fathers abuse. Michaels onging physical changes, starting with his "big nose", to his apparent desire to remake himself and his efforts to give himself the childhood he apparently felt he never had. Joe Jackson, promoted his new record company before expressing any grief or remorse. To add insult to injury he that made reference to the public, infering people didn't give his son due notice until his death. Well, where have you been Joe? Why do you think he is THE KING OF POP? Shame on you Joe Jackson the limelight is not for you! Show some respect for your son.

Abbie M.   June 30th, 2009 12:43 pm ET

Has anyone started to investigate this doctor? There are many inconsistancies that as a medical person I picked up on. If he is a doctor the patient upon him being found in the bed should have been immediately placed on the floor for resucitation , everyone in basic life support 101 knows this. It was reported on the news some of the Dr.s comments, that he spent what could be precious minutes leaving the patient for help in other parts of this enormous home. Why wasn't there a cell phone on the Dr's person? Where was the patients security detail? Police towed a car away, that he (Dr.)claimed it was his sisters car. He is a Cardiologist . Why doesn't he have a car? I can tell you if I was a Dr. with my own practice for 20 years in 2 states I wouldn't close up shop for $150,000 a month. Why isn't this physcian board certified? pediatrics is a specialty. It was reported on tv, that this cardiologist treated the patients child. Is he also a board certified pediatrcian? This patient did not have to die. A investigation is needed.

Diana   June 30th, 2009 12:55 pm ET

If I recall the correct order of things, Joe Jackson had issued a statement that was read on CNN (as well as other media outlets) on Thursday, June 25, 2009 regarding the death of his son. For any of his other actions, those or his actions you can't change the man. As for the those who are questioning Janet Jackson's appearance on the BET awards show, she stated in that her family elected her to be there. I am sure that she would have wanted to grieve in private. She certainly did not look and sound as if she wanted to address the audience. The BET awards had already been schedule, but due to the tragic incident, the show was changed as a dedication to Micheal. I guess they knew that he sharks were going to be out.

Falena   June 30th, 2009 2:35 pm ET

Larry,
I am so puzzle with the 911 call to the police. When the man said a man is not breathing. Why did he not say Michael Jackson is not breathing and went on to say he is with his doctor etc.....

I do not know, Larry something is fishy about this call. If I knew you and something happen to you I would say Larry King or my sister, mother, etc...is having an heart attach. Can you explain this to me?

jack   June 30th, 2009 3:17 pm ET

MJ was the king of pop, is sad that he died, the world knew him and they are going to miss him, his songs will live on forever.

Donna   June 30th, 2009 3:34 pm ET

Let's hope that Neverland is made into a wonderful sanctuary for children, possibly in the pattern of Boy's Town or Hole-In-The-Wall. Not necessarily for ill children, but as a refuge for some of our troubled youth who have been brought into the world because of reckless parent(s), only to be ignored, mistreated, abused. I would think Michael would love that to happen. His estate will grow richer than ever now that he is gone. Michael was very misunderstood and I think the welfare of children and for all children to grow up with a real childhood was what he cared about. Let us all hope that Elizabeth Taylor gets involved to carry on his message and legacy.

Bonny   June 30th, 2009 4:52 pm ET

How can it be that the MEDIA can pivot 180 degrees in the span of a moment? MJ had been portrayed, up until June 25th, as a creepy celebrity to be regarded as an wierd joke for our collective amusement. I am heartbroken to hear, day by day, of what a loving, kind and genuine human being Michael was and how caring he was towards his children. Now the truth is told! Now I see that the real creep all along is his father, Joe. I am so sorry that I didn't appreciate Michael for the amazing person he was all along. We have lost a very, very special person.

Lisa effress   June 30th, 2009 7:07 pm ET

I think Larry should devote an entire show to John Landis. I absolutely loved watching him last night and found his insight to be fascinating.
thank you!

Cathy   June 30th, 2009 8:30 pm ET

Michael's children should not be raised by Joe and why aren't Janet and Michael's other siblings stepping up to raise Michael's children. The entire situation is very questionable. It's obvious that Joe's abuse destroyed his relationship with his son so why would the Jackson family even allow that man around Michael's kids. I guess we shouldn't expect anything more because look how the Jackson's looked out for Michael. Someone in the family should have stepped up to get Michael the help he needed before he died. It looks like Joe Jackson destroyed the entire family because they were all so busy looking out for #1 they forgot to notice the obvious. The media was so busy trying to crucify Michael when he was alive and now that he's dead they're missing the true monster in all of this which is Joe Jackson. That man needs to rot in hell for what he did to Michael and God help Janet, Jermaine, Tito, Randy, Marlon and the rest of Michael's siblings if they let Joe raise those kids.

Roni   June 30th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

I sincerely hope that the media will conduct themselves with more class regarding Michael and his death, than they did during his life. His mother has lost her child, his siblings have lost their brother, please let him rest in peace and let his family mourn.

Kari   June 30th, 2009 9:23 pm ET

The people who knew Michael Jackson the best were the ones who referred to him as a very quiet personality who was rather private which is why I have trouble understanding where all others felt they knew him so well. As fans....we knew his music- his genius in the arts which in turn is what we can and should remember him by...the bar he raised for all to follow is his legacy left behind for fans and others in the arts. Leave the personal conflicts, the controversersies alone as he would not want to be remembered for them and allow his loved ones to share, remember and mourn the loss of the private MJ.

John   June 30th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

Michael Jackson was and will continue to be a true icon of this century for generations to come. His music cross all race barriers and knew no boundaries.

debbie   June 30th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

I think it's a shame the way things are being done " in rememberance" of MJ, he was a very private man, and it's beginning to look like a 3 ring circus. People made a big deal, even the black community about him trying to look and be white,.. but now they use him,..to there benifit, not his or his children. where were they when he needed them?

JANET HUNTER   June 30th, 2009 10:59 pm ET

DEAR LARRY KING:

LET'S ALL DANCE TO THE MUSIC OVER THE PASSING OF MICHAEL JACKSON.

IN THE REAL TIME, WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THOSE SOULS WHO DIED IN THE WAKE OF HURRICANE KATRINA, THE FAMILIES AND FRIENDS WHO LOST EVERTHING DOWN UNDER IN NEW ORLEANS? HAS AMERICA FORGOTTEN THEIR CALLS FOR HELP?
MAYBE THEY TOO WILL BE LOST.

MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS OF DOLLARS WILL BE SPENT THIS 4TH OF JULY.... FOR FUNERAL FOR MCHAEL JACKSON AT NEVERLAND
RANCH. FINALLY, HIS SOUL WILL COME TO REST IN PEACE.

I HIOPE THERE WILL BE A TRAIN LIKE IN BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN'S SONG....LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS.

GO TO GOOGLE. IN SEARCH ENTER:
YOU TUBE, LAND OF HOPE AND DREAMS,
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN LIVE IN BARCELONA

ENLARGE VIDEO AND TURN UP YOUR VOLUME LARRY.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN REMAINS A GREAT MUSICIAN WITH A TALENT FOR SENDING MESSAGES FOR AMERICA,
YOU & ME TOO.

ENJOY THIS GREAT VIDEO AND SONG.
LIFE IS SHORT....DO NOT MISS THE TRAIN.

Henna   July 1st, 2009 12:54 pm ET

Michael, I think was one human-being who will LIVE 4 EVER in our hearts and memories through his music. In his short lifetime, he managed to cross the boundaries of race, creed, color & ethnicity via his love for music.
He was probably the most influential person of our generation when is comes to talent in people of of all races. He gave courage and platform to many talented young artists, singers & musicians who followed in his foot steps. He brought forward black-american into white-america when it was virtually impossible. He portrayed kindness, love and fairness in all mankind.
My heart goes out to his children and our prayers are with his children and his family, and may his soul rest in eternal peace, amen!!

KBhel   July 1st, 2009 1:08 pm ET

Joe Jackson plugging his record label showed the world exactly who he is, and I believe everything Michael said about him.--I also believe that's why Janet was at the award show. She made it clear that it was she who was given the task to speak for the family....which was simply to say, " Joe Jackson does not represent us!"---As for Joe raising the children. I don't think that will happen. His parents are indeed still married, but it was comfirmed that they haven't lived together in almost 10 years. It does concern me that she is 79 years old and will be raising pre-teens, but I'm sure she'll get plenty of help, just as Michael did. The nanny will probably go where ever the children go.

Mia   July 1st, 2009 2:10 pm ET

I find it ironic that in all of Michael Jackson's life, NOT ONCE did his parents throw him a Big Grand Birthday Celebration for him, not once. Citing their religious piousness to forbid any celebration of any holiday.

Now that he is dead, they are grand standing his body to be gawked at like some trophy. This was a very private man who shunned paparazzis and hid his face often in public.

If only his parents honored and celebrated his birthday with the kind of effort they now put into his funeral when he was alive he would be in with us today in better spirits.

David   July 1st, 2009 4:09 pm ET

Why do people say that the co-executors (Branca and Mc?) will get everything from MJ's estate? They are executors and must deliver the assets, which they administer for a brief time, to the Trust. After that the Trust runs everything for the benefit of the beneficiaries, and we don't know who they may be as of now. The Trust could include Ms. Rowe and his brothers and sisters for all we know.

CNN keeps reporting "Michael Jackson's 7-year-old will was filed Wednesday in a Los Angeles court, giving his entire estate to a family trust and cutting out his former wife Debbie Rowe."

TedJames   July 1st, 2009 5:03 pm ET

I usually enjoy your show Larry, but I am very dissapointed this week with the dissproportionate coverage. Farrah Fawcette was a beautiful talented and worthwile person who by the way was never charged with any crime let alone child molestation. Micheal Jackson was at one time a talented performer, but has been irrelavant for the last 20 years. Yet you cover him at nauseum, his last day, his pets, his will, who cares. You gave 2 minutes to Farrahs funeral and endless hours to Jacksons trivial afffairs. Cnn and yourself have done a great disservice to unbiased media coverage this week. And by the way I would not compare Jackson to elvis. Elvis was a mensch. I am not sure what Micheal Jackson was.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter