CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 30, 2009

Fawcett's son freed long enough to attend her funeral

Posted: 07:28 AM ET

Redmond O'Neal will be temporarily freed from jail to attend the funeral of his mother, actress Farrah Fawcett, on Tuesday, officials said.

Fawcett, the blonde-maned actress whose best-selling poster and "Charlie's Angels" stardom made her one of the most famous faces in the world, died Thursday. She was 62, and had battled anal cancer off and on for three years.

O'Neal was arrested in September when deputies found methamphetamine during a probation search at the Malibu, California, home of his father, actor Ryan O'Neal. The younger O'Neal was on probation for a 2008 felony drug conviction involving heroine and meth.

Monday's court order will allow Redmond O'Neal out of jail for up to three hours for the funeral. A sheriff's deputy is to accompany him at all times, according to the order, issued in Los Angeles County Superior Court.

O'Neal, 24, will be allowed to wear civilian clothes for the funeral.

He is undergoing what the sheriff's department has called an "intense drug rehabilitation program" in the L.A. County jail.

Filed under: Farrah Fawcett

KR   June 30th, 2009 10:19 am ET

May Farrah Fawcett rest in peace with all the Angels in Heaven.

YaMustBeKiddin   June 30th, 2009 10:48 am ET

A 2008 felony drug conviction involving Heroine and Meth and he was back at home already,?? The story is about his mother, really sad because we all loved her- Bo Derrick had her 15 minutes because of her, but a 2008 FELONY Heroine AND Meth CONVICTION and the kid was back home!!!! If he had been a Black or Hispanic he would still be locked up and would never have been home to break probation in the first place, even if his Mom did die. A really sad story on so many levels, but for sure we will miss and did dearly love the Lady!

YaMustBeKiddin   June 30th, 2009 10:59 am ET

Sorry, I lost focus. Look at that face, that open. alive, beautiful, sturdy young woman staring back at you. She was a truly an American beauty, a good, gentle, open spirit. God Bless you Angel.

terry vincentini   June 30th, 2009 11:22 am ET

we will long remember M.J. for all he has done for the music world and for kids.God bless you,rest in peace my friend.

joann   June 30th, 2009 12:52 pm ET

i am very upset that Larry King could have done a rememberece on Farrh on Friday , June 26 . Michael Jackson was great but to use both hours was to me an injustic to Farrah. He could have had an hour for Michael and an hour for Farrah.

Ruby Coria LA., CA.   June 30th, 2009 2:15 pm ET

Farrah, was the Queen of the 80's, I feel so sad & bad for what she had to endure. Keep an eye on her son, because it seems like it might only get worst for him. R.I.P. Farrah Fawcett!

Kim in NC   June 30th, 2009 6:53 pm ET

Farrah is truely an icon too. Watching her story battleing cancer she was so strong and such a fighter for life I feel Farrah deserves some kind of tribute for her curagious fight and for all the memorable moments she brought to us the people that grew up watching her on tv At least now she has no pain and suffering GOD bless you Farrah Fawcet may you RIP.....

LacrosseMom   June 30th, 2009 8:27 pm ET

Between the Jackson stories, and Farrah's son, we can all learn that no amount of money or fame can buy peace, health, or joy.

Farrah is surely Home resting in peace.

Cathy   June 30th, 2009 9:17 pm ET

I am deeply disappointed that there has been almost NO coverage given to the loss and funeral of Farrah Fawcett. It is very tragic to lose both Farrah and Michael in the same day, but to ignore Farrah is an extreme slap in the face. She was an amazing lady that made so many contributions to the entertainment community and the world. It should not have been made a case of who was more important and her being ignored. She and Michael Jackson were true icons and both worthy of the same amount of tributes!!!!

eleanore   June 30th, 2009 9:21 pm ET

There is no such thing as a "High Mass" in the Roman Catholic Church.

KPak   June 30th, 2009 9:26 pm ET

Shame on you Larry King! On the day Farrah is laid to rest, you can't give her more than 5 minutes on your show?

James31   June 30th, 2009 9:28 pm ET

I hope someone is taking good care of Farrah's father. He is never mentioned. He has suffered the worst, not just the death of one child but two. Also his wife died a few years ago. No doubt words cannot describe his pain.

Robert Gianni   June 30th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

Larry, no disrespect for Michael Jackson but can you please do a 1 hour show only for Farrah Fawcett?

Alexis B   July 1st, 2009 12:53 am ET

Farrah, we love you, you are so special to those with whom you shared your talent and smiles and love. To watch you go through all your torment with cancer, all the promises of remission, all the love given to you and by you will always be remembered. Your brave spirit lives on and your beautiful smile will put smiles on the faces of angels. May God hold you close in his precious hands and keep you safe now that your earthly trial is over......... Alexis with love.

Phyllis Miller   July 1st, 2009 8:07 am ET

I do believe the nurse that you interviewed yesterday discussing Michael's request for a "good sleep". I recently had a colonoscopy done (I am 50 born in 1958 as was Michael Jackson) and whatever they gave me to put me "out" was wonderful. First I was given the oxygen, then a few seconds later I was asleep for the 1/2 hour procedure. That was the best sleep I have ever had - when I woke up I felt like I was on a cloud. It was great and I do believe that if Micheal was having problems sleeping for a long period of time and he needed sleep in order to be physically ready for the rehearsals and upcoming shows than it seem logical that he would ask for this, given also that he had gotten this before. I would have too. But, the sad thing is that I suppose that this was a dangerous and deadly way to get a good night sleep.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter