CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 29, 2009

Jackson's mother files for custody of his three children

Posted: 12:05 PM ET

Michael Jackson's mother filed a petition Monday in Los Angeles Probate Court seeking legal guardianship of her son's three children, CNN has confirmed.

A hearing was scheduled for August 3 on Katherine Jackson's petition.

Michael Jackson's father, Joe Jackson, told CNN on Sunday evening that he and his wife expected to keep the children.

"We're not trying to get custody," Jackson said. "We will get custody and have custody."

An autopsy was performed on Michael Jackson Friday, and toxicology reports from his body will disprove rumors that the singer's personal physician injected him with powerful painkillers, the attorney for Dr. Conrad Murray said Monday.

"Dr. Murray never prescribed Demerol, never administered Demerol, never saw him - Michael Jackson - take Demerol," attorney Edward Chernoff told CNN's "American Morning."

"And that goes as well for Oxycontin. I think those are just rumors. When toxicology comes back ... that's going to be all cleared up," Chernoff said.

Murray met voluntarily for several hours with detectives over the weekend, the Los Angeles Police Department said late Saturday.

Filed under: Breaking News • Larry King Live • Michael Jackson

ge ontario   June 29th, 2009 12:14 pm ET

what about the kids mother

Cay   June 29th, 2009 12:16 pm ET

This couple does NOT need to have custody of these children. The way they raised their son, the abuse heaped upon him, they should be denied any contact with them. I hope the Los Angeles court system understands that.

Rose   June 29th, 2009 1:03 pm ET

There are two women involved. The mother of Michael Jackson's two oldest children, Debbie Rowe, signed away her parental rights to Michael. In return, she got millions of dollars and took Michael to court a few years ago when he was late in his payments to her. She said in an interview that she had no problem giving the children away. The children were conceived via IVF procedure.

The mother of Michael's 3rd child was a surrogate. No one knows who she is. That child was conceived via IVF as well. Perhaps the mother may not even know that the child belonged to Michael. They may never have met. She gave birth for money. Both these two women benefitted financially from having the children. Debbie Rowe willingly participated in giving her children up for money.

Whoever has custody over the children will assume custody over their part of Michael's estate. The two mothers' greed for money in exchange for children should disqualify them for custody. The kids had the most interaction with Michael's family and should stay with them.

Gail   June 29th, 2009 1:24 pm ET

I have my concerns about the children point blank. who's to say if they are even michaels anyway. they are too white and have no features of the jackson's anywhere on them.i say there needs to be a DNA test done and this will solve all money and custody issues.michael could have been sterile for all we know.if i were the Jackson's i would get that test done.

Rose   June 29th, 2009 1:38 pm ET

Whether they are Michael's biological children or not, he was still "legally" their father. Michael and the Jackson family raised the children and they cannot be considered non-family members at this point. Michael loved his kids. Debbie Rowe, for example, was the biological mother but denied herself any legal rights due to her contractual agreement with Michael. She gave up her rights for money – that would make her an unfit mother on various levels. There is no love there – an absolute basic requirement for parenthood.

Lori Amos   June 29th, 2009 3:16 pm ET

I think their grandmother would be a great caretaker for them, but Joe. He was a tyrant as a father, and made MJ what he was. It's all about the money I am sure. LaToya or Janet should step up and take them. I think that would be their best best. God Bless those 3 babies and their futures.

Marisa Joy   June 29th, 2009 3:21 pm ET

I absolutely agree that is takes far more than DNA to qualify a person as a Mother or Father. Those children only know one father and that is Michael. How tragic for them to have had to experience the death of there father at such a young age. Let's all just stop thinking about the money and the DNA and think about the fact that those children will not have their father any longer and are suffering a terrible loss right now. It is always about the best interest of the children and they know where they should be. Where they are loved and wanted. Let us ask the children where they feel they would be most loved and wanted. Prince and Paris are of an age that they are quite aware of what is going on and should be considered in this equation, even Prince Michael's opinion should matter in this decision. Let the truth of innocence speak louder than the voice of greed.

Margie   June 29th, 2009 3:55 pm ET

Michael was the father but Debbie Rowe made a statement the other day that Michael is not the father. I wonder why Michael didn't use invitro with his own sperm even if a child was conceived in a petri dish then the children would be of his flesh (DNA). Why did he get children this way anyway instead of adopting some children?

I think it is pathetic that a mother/parent would sell her children and relinquish all rights. I can't understand any legal contract that would allow any human being to be sold to another. Why couldn't Debbie have shared custody?

It frustrates me when Joe Jackson keeps stating that he wished his fans honored Michael before he died so Michael could see it. Michael did know and it's such a "diss" on his fans. Michael couldn't travel anywhere without high security surrounding him.

Based on a lot of statements Joe Jackson keeps saying to the press, does anyone feel that Joe Jackson is trying to sell Michael's persona and future records sales more than grieving his son? I haven't seen him shed one tear or heard him say one time, I love my son, I miss my son it's all about his son being a Superstar.

Rose   June 29th, 2009 4:04 pm ET

La Toya Jackson made remarks against her father in her tell-all book stating that she and her older sister Rebbie were sexually abused by their father. Rebbie denied any wrong doing occured. La Toya later retracted the statement saying her husband at the time forced her into the false comments. La Toya also made very negative comments about Michael and then later retracted them. Mrs. Jackson is elderly and her custody is (for now) temporary. The Jacksons have the resources to care for the children. Perhaps they will have the opportunity to grow with with one of Michael's brothers.

debby   June 29th, 2009 4:10 pm ET

I don't think that michael would want that his father raised his kids!!!
I hope that america won't let him!!!he abused all of his kids.

he only thinks of the Legacy that michael leaves behind and haves dollar sign in his eyes!!!That is for HIS CHILDREN!!!Not for JOE the beater!!!!

I hope that his kids can stay together ,all 3 of them...

Micheal we miss you...love from the netherlands

Rose   June 29th, 2009 4:14 pm ET

No doubt that Debbie Rowe got more money if full parental rights were given to Michael at the time of their divorce. She negotiated that, more money for no custody. It was a marriage of convenience to have the children and then divorce. Rowe agreed to all terms. She wasn't interested in the children. Hopefully, she won't be contesting for permanent custody from Mrs. Jackson now.

Margie   June 29th, 2009 4:30 pm ET

What is the Nation of Islam connection to Michael Jackson?

Michael was a Jehovah Witness, then he switched to Islam. Were they his body guards and alienated him from family and friends?

Keith Graham   June 29th, 2009 5:32 pm ET

Mr. King,

I recently watched an interview that you had with Mr. Miko Brando. Mr. Brando stated that he had dinner with Michael Jackson the night prior to the death of Michael. According to the many media sources, Mr. Jackson had no stomach contents except a few partially dissolved pill caplets. How could this be? Even though it takes an average of eight to ten hours to digest food, he would still have some contents left. Would you care to evaluate Mr. Brando's statement?

Thanks,
Keith Graham
Plaucheville Louisiana

natalie - "The 1993 molestation accuser admits he lied"   June 29th, 2009 6:13 pm ET

The boy who accused michael Jackson of molesting him in 1993 came out and said he was LYING!! This man's career was ruined and his life destroyed b/c some little brat and his trashy parents wanted money!! I think that all the news teams should report that he was innocent. They spend so much time saying bad things about Michael but won't clear his name. I haven't heard one news team report this information, but they followed the trial religiously. The kid was lying.. Get it AMERICA.... LYING..

Carla   June 29th, 2009 6:32 pm ET

I don't think any of the biological mothers should be given custody of the children because they have had limited or no contact with them throughout the years. I also have reservations about Michael's mother getting guardianship. If she does, then it's likely that his father will have contact with them and that's one thing I don't want to see happen. Michael wouldn't have wanted it and based on Joe Jackson's history, it wouldn't be in their best interest.

I think the best person to primarily care for them is their nanny. She's the only mother they've known and she knows them more than anyone right now. After the devastating loss of their father, being separated from her would be too much for them. Leaving them in her care would be less disruptive. Furthermore, she is the only one who knows how Michael wanted his children to be raised. His family can then provide secondary care and supervision.

I really do hope things work out okay for them because the odds are against it right now. And I say all this as someone who experienced abuse (like Michael), who was raised by a single parent and lost that parent like they did, and who went through the process of deciding guardianship like they're going through now.

Rose   June 29th, 2009 6:37 pm ET

If Michael ate dinner the night before with Miko Brando, say at 8:00pm, the food would have been completely digested by the next morning (12 hours later). Michael died that afternoon nearly 19 hours after eating dinner therefore there would be no food contents in his stomach from that dinner (unless he ate the day of his death).

jo   June 29th, 2009 7:01 pm ET

I must say, I am sick – ill & disgusted, by the presence of Joe Jackson at the BET awards. His comments, promoting himself, smiling & loving every minute of the undeserved adulation he was & is getting, makes many people want to throw up.

Joe Jackson said, on CNN, he was "Crying on the inside". Right!!! This man was, & I am sure still is, an abuser. Joe was a big – BIG reason (in my opinion) for many of Michael's demons, sadness & lonliness. (I know of what I speak)

How does Joe Jackson respond to the question of abuse? He denies it. Just as 99% of abusers do. And now Michael's children are in the same house with him?! I pray the other family members keep Michael's children away from Joe Jackson.

jo
San Diego CA

Rose   June 29th, 2009 7:01 pm ET

Jordan Chandler was the 13-year old accuser in 1993. He just admitted that he LIED about the molestation charges, now that Michael is dead. He said his father Evan Chandler put him up to it for money. Jordan refused to testify in the criminal proceedings in 1993, the state closed its criminal investigation citing LACK OF EVIDENCE. Michael was not charged with a crime. Michael settled a civil suit out of court for $20 million. Blackmail against Michael.

Jordan is now in his late 20's and has changed his name. He lives in a $3 million home on Long Island, his family owns a high-rise in Manhattan and a condominium in Santa Barbara. Now that Michael is dead, non-disclosure agreements no longer stand and perhaps the truth will come out.

als   June 29th, 2009 7:23 pm ET

MJ was the father of these children. The baby looks more like MJ than the other two. Its alot of people who are mixed who looks white, untill theirs a DNA then you can say he was not the biological father of the older children. Debbie does not want the children because she was all about the money. How do you tell children my mother only wanted money for my existance. The kids are old enough to tell the court they dont know her or want to know her.

lucy   June 29th, 2009 8:09 pm ET

Gosh! All of this negativity over Michael's Kids! Get over yourselves! Grandparents have rights! Michael Jackson is listed in theGuiness Book of World Records for giving the largest amounts of money for his charitable causes.......So many of these negative pundits spit their negative opinions & rumors and these couch potatoes think they have a forum! The death of a son.....The death of a child....It is indeed the hardest for any parent to have to deal with........Get over the meaness...He hasn't even been buried! His children are loved! Katherine Jackson is the real deal!

Judith   June 29th, 2009 8:13 pm ET

It was well known that Michael Jackson was abused by his father.

His father saw that his kids had talent and push them repeatly without no playing of what kids do.Maybe because he and his wife were scratching at times they didn't want their kids to scratch of where the next dollar would come from.So he push them not realizing he was actually doing wrong.
Many people later on life want to spoil grandchildren.Some feel they have done no wrong when they raised their own children while some not.
I'm sure Michael's parents later on in life grew more tender and they show love to all their grandchildren.Bottom line is what did Michael want and what he wanted would it be good for the kids with him thinking reality and not with some medicine in his body.
The family thought there was no will but yet Michael's lawyer said there was and the family doesn't of yet know what his wishes were.

My heart goes out to the three children and I hope that who ever has full custody thinks of them and not the mighty dollars.

Lynne   June 29th, 2009 8:39 pm ET

I'm just wondering if Michael could have died as a result of Aids. He was so emaciated looking – sunken cheeks, etc. That would explain the amount of drugs taken from his home today, and his need to have a doctor at his side while he readied himself for his tour. Just a question.... I, too, am sickened by his father's behavior – He's crying inside all the way to the bank.

angela   June 29th, 2009 9:33 pm ET

Dont blame the DR. I am tired of the DOCs being blamed in these celeb deaths. The Dr did not force Michael to abuse drugs, it's outrageous to blame the Drs all the time. Just like Anna Nicole, she knew what she was doing. This is a drug addict, this is how they behave. Other addicts get nblamed and told to own up and go to rehab. Why is it that celebs dont have to get clean, they just blame the Dr, right?

angela   June 29th, 2009 9:34 pm ET

Boy, if I were A Dr, I would never ever have any thing to do with a star with a drug problem. They pay the entire tab in the end.

bette milburn   June 29th, 2009 9:43 pm ET

Do we know what Michael's sexual preferences are? I know he was married twice but is he also gay?

Wendy   June 29th, 2009 9:52 pm ET

How can a court grant custody of his kids to only Catherine? She has been married for 60 years to Joe & lives in the same home as he does. They left Joe's name out of it because of abuse allegations but that doesn't change the fact that he will be living with those children!
It makes no sense whatsoever. I can't imagine MJ would ever want his kids raised by the man who abused him. I also wonder how the Jackson family can swear there is no will? I'm sure they didn't know everything about his personal business & there is a lawyer that claims he has a will. What a mess.

Alma Perkins   June 29th, 2009 11:16 pm ET

I think Michael Jackson mother should take care of his children
The Nanny should be paid to help the family get use of the kids.
Joe Jackson should stay away are be watched carefully

Beverley Anderson   June 30th, 2009 7:20 am ET

I have great concern about Michael Jackson's Mother, Catherine, being given temporary custody of his three children. She was not strong enough in any way to protect Michael from his Father's abuse so how can we believe, especially at her age, that she will be strong enough to protect Michael's children from their Grandfather's abuse?

She should not be given permanent custody of these children due to her age (they could lose her in the near future), and the potential for interference and abuse of these children by Joe Jackson. If he thought he could make money off any or all of these children, he'd do it in a heartbeat. That's all he cares about; the money and the fame.

Marge   June 30th, 2009 11:10 am ET

Temporary custody should be given to Katherine Jackson,but I believe a younger Jackson sibling should be granted custody permanantly.
I hope this was done to prottect the children in the short term.
Joe Jackson is a embarrassment,and the family needs to lock him away from the media. he's 85 years old and still trying to be the front man.
No venture he puts his hand to is going to prosper. He is still trying to ride on Micheal's coat tails. But while living Micheal painted a picture of Joe as a father,that NOBODY can respect.
Compare Joe Jackson's reaction to his sons death to Eddie Levert's loving and painful reaction to his sons deaths.
Eddie was a 'real" father in the life and death of his sons. Joe is a hustler,still trying to make a buck from his.
The Jackson family needs to step up and put a end to Joe's embarrasing antics. I'm begining to wornder What the family is thinking about. Surely they know better than anybody that Joe is looking like a hustler thats trying to promote himself,and not preserve his son's legacy.

Velma   June 30th, 2009 12:57 pm ET

I think the children should reside with one of michael's sibling (Janet)and the nanny should live with them and care for the chidren until their 18. Because only she (The Nanny) know's the way Michael want his kids to be raised. I'm sure in Michaels will has what he want for his children and I'm sure he dont want his money hangry dad involved

Rose   June 30th, 2009 1:21 pm ET

RE: Katherine Jackson and children's custody – Katherine lives in L.A., Joe Jackson lives in Las Vegas. They have separate homes.

Ken Burch   June 30th, 2009 1:47 pm ET

Joe Jackson shouldn't ever be allowed to raise another kid. We just saw what happened to one of his own kids.

Brenda Stout   June 30th, 2009 1:59 pm ET

My belief the BIO Mother of these children should be given custody ot these children The Jackson Family is all about $$$$$ And do not have the best interest of the children. None of us no without a reasonable doubt just what was worked out between Michael and Debbie or the other mother. Only what the Jackson camp wants out there. As for the Nanny remember she was fired. At this time I don't believe any one associated to Michael should have access to those children, because Michael is dead. So how can we trust anyone with them as far as I feel they are all Suspects. Grace the nanny worked with him for 17 years and was fired. To me that is more of motive then any one else in his camp. Lisa Marie Presley Lockwood getting custody of his children. Only because look what that family did with his money after his death. Do we know for sure she is not the absent mother of child number 3. It fits the time frame when she legally divorced Nicholas Cage in 2002 and blanket is Seven Now. It leaves me to believe this way when Liza M says all hell is going to break lose after the Autospy.

Rose   June 30th, 2009 4:06 pm ET

Debbie Rowe is all about money and should not get the chidlren. The Jacksons are multi-millionaires in their own right. The children should stay with the only family they have known – Michael's family. Rowe may be the biological mother but that's it. She gave up her rights for money and now cannot re-enter the scene for more money. It's disgusting.

She was a money-hungry person on a nurse's salary who made a deal with Michael. The Jacksons have been very rich for 40 years. It's best if they are raised by one of Michael's more stable siblings (i.e. not La Toya).

Karin   June 30th, 2009 5:05 pm ET

Michael's parents are to old to raise those children...Have you seen Michael's father he's a goof and he shows no emotions in his son's death, all he sees is Dollar Signs...Janet Jackson needs to step up to the plate and raise her brother's kids, she's the only person I see fit to raise them...Debbie Rowe shouldn't have any rights here either, she sold them to Michael...

Alice Hamilton   June 30th, 2009 9:12 pm ET

Goodbye sweet Michael; may your gentle spirit forever rest in peace.

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
BarnesĀ & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter