CNN TV SCHEDULE ANCHORS & REPORTERS CONTACT US HLN

June 28, 2009

Did dancing in 'The Wiz' ultimately lead to Michael Jackson's death?

Posted: 09:17 PM ET

by Steve Spears via TampaBay.com

art.jackson.skin.grammys.giThis is going to seem a little far-fetched, but no more so than the other Michael Jackson death conspiracies floating around: Did breaking his nose during 'The Wiz' put the King of Pop on a collision course with death?

(Bear with me. This theory was developed only a few short hours ago at my barber shop, where all great thinking is done. It takes regular maintenance after all to keep my 'do so perfectly spiky.)

According to multiple reports, Jackson broke his nose during dance rehearsals for The Wiz, the 1978 film with Diana Ross that made Ease on Down the Road such a classic. Cosmetic surgery was required (or at least chosen by Jackson) to get it back into shape.

So here's the theory: Once you cross that plastic surgery line, crossing it again is easier and easier. (Ask the "Real Housewives" from Atlanta, Orange County and NYC.) It's like getting a tattoo: Ever meet many people with just ONE tattoo? They're always balancing them out, adding a new one. Just one more, they keep promising. Same goes for plastic surgery, I imagine. Another nip. Another tuck. Another nose.

(Read More)

Filed under: Larry King Live • Michael Jackson

larry loveday   June 28th, 2009 9:20 pm ET

Has Sir Elton John responded to this event?

gm4il   June 28th, 2009 9:29 pm ET

Well articulated Kenny. Well said. I think all those things. You said "there arent many people that represent new eras in music and he was one." He was a genius. I can't believe that he's been taken from us. He was a treasure. Why is it something so drastic has to happen before we recognize the people and things that truly matter, that truly contribute. That move us all forward.

Dodie ~ California   June 28th, 2009 10:02 pm ET

That was a wonderful show Larry! Thanks for the Tribute to Michael Jackson. Did you know, in France, they want to do the moon walk around the world! Would you check that out as it would be wonderful if the USA participated.

Dodie ~ California   June 28th, 2009 10:25 pm ET

Larry:
It is true that having surgery always places stress on a person’s body. I agree with you that when he under went plastic surgery the first time, it was easier the second, the third, etc; however, his obsession with his nose and looks stemmed from his adolescent years. That would need to be a part of your hypothesis. Also remember some other factors:
1. He is 50 years old and dancing 10-12 hours is hard on anyone’s heart, especially since he has not been under this type of stress for years. 50 concerts for anyone of any age is daunting even if you are in good shape!
2. I suspect during the years where he had trouble eating due to his emotional pain, his weight could have been down to the point that his body was using muscle for fuel. The heart could have sustained some damage unbeknown to Michael.
3. Because of his professionalism, he probably would not let anyone know if he was in pain and could have easily taken a large dose of prescription opiates through the night as he was unable to sleep due to his pain and continued to take more opiates until early morning.
4. The most obvious! Men age 50 do die from heart attacks!
5. All of the above could have played a part in his death.

dede   June 28th, 2009 11:34 pm ET

my idol, ny role model ..

Yazeed   June 28th, 2009 11:49 pm ET

Dear Larry

I have to disagree, and here are a couple of analogies that work in the same way as this one, that make me think, this idea went too far.

If the fifth tattoo was the cause of an infection that caused the death of someone, does it make any sense to blame the person who advised to the first tattoo.

Then when someone becomes an alcoholic, can we blame someone for offering him or her the first drink, So if the first drink was at a wedding, would the (Then) newly married couple be responsible for someone's alcoholism.

My opinion is, Out of the people who do plastic surgery, Very few would change color, The poor judgment is probably to blame, not the broken nose.

elizabeth akers   June 29th, 2009 12:03 am ET

I haven't heard anything from Diana Ross. I thought they were such good friends, so why isnt she on Larry Kings show.

Doris/St.Louis   June 29th, 2009 12:12 am ET

Michael shares his name with the Arc Angel! Gone too soon? His spirit lives on.

Eric   June 29th, 2009 12:13 am ET

Thank you Michael Jackson. I will always love you

Patti Morrison   June 29th, 2009 12:18 am ET

How is is that in life, Cher obviously supported the sexual allegations against Michael Jackson, publicly condemning him ... and in death, she is saddened and refers to how wonderful he was. I am sure that he would have appreciated her support when he was alive ... it's not of much value now that he is gone.
Patti in Canada

Amy   June 29th, 2009 12:25 am ET

I have been listening to Larry King Live The Tribute to Michael Jackson. And I heard Cher and Deion talk about Michael Jackson. I Just have to say that I have cried so much that I cannot believe he is gone. And when I heard them speak about Michael Jackson with amazing comment's I smiled for the first time I heard about his death. I really wanna thank Cher for what she said about that guy who said wrong things about Michael. I honor her words and I thank her for sticking for Michael. I have alway's stood by his music and watched and supported during his Trials. Michael to me was amazing person and Role Model to me. I will alway's remmber him and keep listening to his music. He has taught me so much that I think that I am losing a brother my self. He was that important to me. I love Michael Jackson and I will Deeply miss him. Thank you so much for what you are doing. Thank you.

Joy   June 29th, 2009 1:30 am ET

I will miss you Michael but your music will always be alive to me forever!

Joy   June 29th, 2009 1:42 am ET

It's really hurtful to know that Michael was being pushed into a corner and had an irrational fear that he would die or be killed if he didn't perform in London, and that he wanted to do 10 shows but being booked for 50 shows, that's totally cruel knowing his condition..

Joy   June 29th, 2009 1:48 am ET

I still couldn't believe he's gone i cant stop listening to his music since the day he passed on..

Joy   June 29th, 2009 1:53 am ET

I am keeping all the write ups in the newspaper since day one of his death, its like losing someone very close with...

teddy   June 29th, 2009 2:01 am ET

i read your book larry and you mention abt so many famouse and poular people but none abt michael jackson. i know and you know he rocks the intyer world on the 70s 80s and 90s.but the king of talk show(larry) didnt maention the king of pop. that is unbeliveable.

Joy   June 29th, 2009 2:09 am ET

Well this is it! Michael Jackson's long suffering has ended sad as i look forward to all his coming up songs but i guess its better that way 😦

May you rest in peace MJ!

Brian   June 29th, 2009 3:12 am ET

I think his father had a lot to do with his leaving the jackson 5 his father said he would never be anything and when he did become someone he lost his grip he finally made it

june   June 29th, 2009 3:13 am ET

why so hard trying to look for weekness in a human being just look at your selves boy how you like to mixed people s minds can t we think by ours selves, and figure out what realy happends.

Michelle Jones-Word   June 29th, 2009 3:14 am ET

I've raised two sons over the years in the Micheal area. The song which has always disturbed me is Billy Jean. I oftened wondered what impact these lyrics impacted on the young men of our generation. "Billy Jean is not my love she's just a girl who thinks that I am the one "BUT THE KID IS NOT MY SON". What is he saying, he screwed some girl, not she's saying she's having a baby but he's saying it's not his?. Say what, but this is a song to go down in the history of art.

june   June 29th, 2009 3:37 am ET

mr. larry king is there a problem for quebec people to say what they want to say. i know that you want to here from all. please let us talk ,

june   June 29th, 2009 3:52 am ET

where was his music on the radio before he died i am so sorry but we should celebrate people who live not people who die boy are we ever A BUNCH OF HEPERCRITES. BOY AM I GLAD I AM CANADIEN, NO OFFENCE JUST LISTEN TO YOUR SELVES. GOD HELP US.

Yazeed   June 29th, 2009 4:39 am ET

June

People are paying respect to an icon who sold plenty when he was alive, this is the time to remember him, and no one ignored him when he was alive.

He did not suddenly become famous, and if you were talking about someone else i would have agreed, but this icon has been the headline throughout the 80's and much of the 90's

He was a star alive, he is a star after death, and whenever we talk about arts, he is someone to mention.

I don't see your point at all, How is anybody a hypocrite for remembering him when he dies ?

dafIR   June 29th, 2009 5:18 am ET

may he live in peace but too much is too much

Nermine Emam   June 29th, 2009 5:40 am ET

I am writing from Cairo, Egypt, where I was born and lived all my life (37 years). I am deeply saddened by Michael Jackson's death. It is so sudden and so sad that the world loses such a great person who has influenced and touched so many lives. I wish he could be watching us from heaven now, so that he knows how much he was loved, appreciated and respected.
I feel like I have lost a member of my family. There is not a single time in my life that I do not associate with a MIchael Jackson song. Every single song takes me back to a certain time in my life and brings me happiness. He lived a lonely life, had a complicated childhood and was largely misunderstood and abused by those who didn't know him well. I for one will always fondly remember him and pray he can now get to live the life that he always wanted in peace.
Michael, may you rest in peace and Thank you for the music from the bottom of my soul.

Joy   June 29th, 2009 9:35 am ET

Well no matter what MJ is MJ and no one can filled his shoes ever!

Mandi Archbold   June 29th, 2009 2:35 pm ET

It seems to me some of his cosmetic surgery was prompted by physical trauma (eg. broken nose), and his skin depigmentation was due to vitiligo. . . in any case, it was his prerogative.

If you are all so concerned, and since there's such a preoccupation, perhaps some of you influencial personalities could do something constructive and heighten awareness and sensitivity to vitiligo. It was not some figment of Michael Jackson's imagination. There are lots of real people out there – black and white – who suffer from it.

Perhaps some of his die-hard fans could translate some of that passion into a real, tangible good by supporting vitiligo research.

Pat   June 30th, 2009 9:31 am ET

A talented drug addict – no more, no less.

James   June 30th, 2009 11:49 am ET

It is appalling... the many insensitive, jaded, dehumanizing attacks at this man's passing.

I never bought a Michael Jackson CD, didn't go to his concerts, and don't spend much time with pop culture... but even with my limited exposure, I have been moved by his talent... his gifts to the world.

Much like a modern Mozart, or dynamic Da Vinci... his was a zenith of human art. Not one of his critics are capable of creating such art, nor are they as tortured, nor are they as viciously and cruelly attacked.

The world is grieving the loss of one our greatest.

Show some humanity.

kay lefevers   June 30th, 2009 1:19 pm ET

I remember the very first time i saw michael Jackson on Ed Sullivan show,I thought to myself this kid is going to make it big!!He was suck a young kid but seemed so grown up and sweet,he died all grown up and sweet,although people let him down it was peoples attention and love his soul reach out for,noone will ever replace him as Michael Jackson is irreplacable..He reached for the stars and the world loved him and always will.

kay lefevers   June 30th, 2009 1:21 pm ET

I remember the very first time i saw michael Jackson on Ed Sullivan show,I thought to myself this kid is going to make it big!!He was sucha young kid but seemed so grown up and sweet,he died all grown up and sweet,although people let him down it was peoples attention and love his soul reach out for,noone will ever replace him as Michael Jackson is irreplacable..He reached for the stars and the world loved him and always will.

Brenda Stout   June 30th, 2009 1:36 pm ET

All the Publicity of Michael Joesph Jackson everyone has missed the fact that he was a HUMAN Being who deserves the diginity and respect just like anyone else. I am troubled with after his death everyone wants to come forward and tell about his drug habit maybe if our society would start charging people who knew and did nothing about it with a crime we wouldn't have so many Entertainers dying of drug overdozes. As for the sex allegations he was found NOT Guilty in our Court of Laws. In which means he was an Innocent Man. His children were his for twelve years and he did his upmost to keep there lives private and now after his death there are so many pictures of his children released to the Public IN an ERA when there are so many Children abucted and killed shouldn.t there pictures be kept PRIVATE.
I want to wait for the full Coroners report bedore I pass judement on his death. I believe in the Truth and not lies. For a family member of my family in which I have lost three family members from Heart Disease and Heart Disease being Heridity It has been reported his mother has heart disease why is it so hard to believe he had heart disease. Rest in Peace Michael. Brenda

Comments have been closed for this article

Keep up to date with Larry

Become a fan on Facebook

Contact us
Go Behind The Scenes

Producer

Order from:
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Borders

King of Hearts

Larry King's King of Hearts

Visit the Larry King Cardiac Foundation.

twitter